•  
  •  

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

I know.. I did read it but of course our FAILURE to secure a decent pick 4 is at the forefront of my thinking, Why does anyone think we would get it right this time?? Because BP is not here??

Cale gives me nightmares.

If we give up trying to draft a star with an early pick and instead trade it away for B-graders, it is time to shut the place down.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw this great post by a Saints supporter on BF. Dawes jumper:

Hi Guys, for my first ever post I will pass on some inside information. Chris Dawes has no long term medical issues. When injured, he is the most dedicated, determined and professional player in term

The Western Bulldogs had asked about Dawes’ status in recent weeks, but their interest has not yet significantly advanced on that. Carlton, Richmond and St Kilda all said they would not pursue Dawes.

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz28Hc9qdZb

Pies options for a deal are decreasing. Very interesting that his former Coach is not interested and yet his club is desperate for a power forward. What does that tell you?

If Wellingham prefers the West, I can see a player swap for Dawes.

Pick 4 and Dawes should never be mentioned in the same sentence and I apologize for doing so.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4

I know.. I did read it but of course our FAILURE to secure a decent pick 4 is at the forefront of my thinking, Why does anyone think we would get it right this time?? Because BP is not here??

Some people don't want to be happy.

• Like 2

It seems that he is fighting for a position with Lynch and that Collingwood have said he will have to perform better than Lynch or Lynch will have to lose form for Dawes to dislodge him.

He also is in competition with Paine for the other forward spot and if you read between the lines Paine is in front.

They want to trade him make no mistake about that, he is third in line for the second spot in the forward line.

If the Dees were to give up pick 13 for Chris Dawes they can kiss my membership goodbye.

I rate him more than most on here but pick 26 is the most I'd give.

Based on the article in The Age this morning it doesn't appear that there will be a bidding frenzy.

I agree, nothing obove pick 15ish for the 2 of them.

If they give up our top 3 picks for depth, I'll walk as well.

I see Dawes as a similar type deal as Hale was,,, but the Hawks were desperate & in they're window,,, & that draft wasn't as crucial to us this is.

I'd like Dawes, but either/or re Wellingham. (go get us a half back flanker & release Strauss to the wings)

I'd say the only way we would part ways with pick 4 is if we can use our second round pick on Viney.

That would mean:

3: Gun Mid

4: Wellingham and Dawes

13: Gun Tall

21: Viney

I would be ok with that.

No Way, even if we get Jack in the 2nd Rnd.

What is this post about?? He is out of contract currently. Fairly self evident if they employ him they will pay his wages...

Yes. But if Wellingham does not like the terms he will not go.

He did not get the offers he thought he would.

I want to be but to paraphrase Einstein if we do the same thing we have always done we will get the same result...

So, according to the great Albert Einstein, how will continuing to be a miserable pessimist help us to be successful and you to be happy?

"Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it." - Niels Bohr

So, according to the great Albert Einstein, how will continuing to be a miserable pessimist help us to be successful and you to be happy?

"Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it." - Niels Bohr

i had never heard of Niels Bohr before now, but that is truly a great quote..Thanks.

i had never heard of Niels Bohr before now, but that is truly a great quote..Thanks.

Will probably go late in the 3rd round

• Like 8

Dawes is no Fev, Pav, Petrie or Roo he is a second string forward, now third string, in the side and has had one really good year. His form this year has been terrible and he would have been dropped earlier if it wasn't for the fact they needed to get him in to some form and for the structure of their forward line.

Remember Benny Holland; he was given a huge contract by the tigers based on one year's good football and after that he was just ordinary, so much so they traded him to us as we were the only mugs who would take him. Benny was a great guy good clubman tall strong but he just wasn't really any good; wonder if Dawes will turn out to be Bennyx2?

BTW Petrie is 197cm

lets hope Neeld knows more of Dawes than we do. surely having coached him he should know if he's another Holland?

Forum seems really split on Dawes. Not sure why I keep looking in here in the first place!?? As I said in the previous post Mark Neeld has coached Dawes and must know him well and therefore must be well o fait in regards to Dawes likely benefit to the MFC. If you guys support Neeld then you must support him and the MFC if we sign Dawes up. No exceptions?

My feeling is Dawes did look like a plodder this year but perhaps there are circumstances that led to this, ie, Cloke or Collingwood game plan. Neeld may have plans for Dawes which revolve around him being our number one forward with Clark (if his foot holds up) assisting Jamar.

Yes I'm on board with Neeld only because there is no other option.

• Like 1

We need another forward now. Clarke, Dawes and Howe sounds credible. Clarke, Howe and Watts or Cook does not. The only considerations here are:

a) does Neeld realize that Dawes is not capable of being a back up ruck as well as a forward?

B) will Dawes return tohis earlier form as a forward if played only as a forward?

c) how much would Dawes cost us?

No one has put up a better get-a-forward scenario. Gumbleton is perpetually injured, Butcher has off-field and on-field issues and we just ain't looking like getting Tippett. But pick 13 is too much and pick 26 probably too little. How about pick 13 for Dawes and the filth's first rounder?

Forum seems really split on Dawes. Not sure why I keep looking in here in the first place!?? As I said in the previous post Mark Neeld has coached Dawes and must know him well and therefore must be well o fait in regards to Dawes likely benefit to the MFC. ...

1. There's a few ruck/tall forward options around though - as well as Dawes, there's Tippett (who we won't get), Giles, Zac Clarke, even Hamish McIntosh as possibilities. I'd expect they'd have more than one of these in their sights, depending on how other things work out.

2. The more I think about it, the more I think that pick 4 for D&W can't have been a real bid - for one thing, they would have known that Wellingham does not want us. So why did we offer it as an opening bid (but knowing it would never fly) and then allow it to be publicised? A suggestion was made somewhere (can't be bothered looking it up) that it might have been to show other clubs that we'd consider a high pick for a package of the "right" two players. The obvious possibilities might be Caddy + Toy (plus some help with Viney) to GCS, or Butcher & Jacobs (PA), though I don't think either of those combos necessarily justify Pick 4. Or maybe there are other twin targets that we don't know of yet.

Tippett would be heaven! Oh well...we'll get what we get.

All this is no different to when we traded marbles at the start of every school year. (Nowadays it's iPads or used iPhones, samsung's)

Funny/Weird why we are speculating in this forum? Even myself can't help having a look at the latest gossip that's usually comes to nothing..Caddy, ORourke, Wellers, Cloke, Tournpass(whoever he is?)...

Hope they remember the "devil you know" is most often true in these cases...ie ...straight swaps Martin-Dawes....

Keep at it Neeldy...we're all backing you in Demonland. Mightn't all love you but we are backing your judgement here.

Some of the comments regarding Dawes and Wellingham on here are just insane.

'Wellingham isn't the leader of a midfield'. Well that's great. I don't think anyone is saying we're looking for a new captain.

'Wellingham is only 5th best at Collingwood'. Maybe that's because 1-4 are Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas and Ball?

The fact is, Wellingham is better than any mid on our list right now. He doesn't have to lead, that's Grimes/Trengove's job. He adds value to our side, and anyone who disagrees with that either holds deep-seated resentment to Collingwood or Wellingham, or just doesn't know enough about him.

Similar arguments apply to Dawes. He would clearly improve our forward line.

Having said all that, they're not worth pick 4. That's just an absurd price to pay. These players add value to our side, no doubt, but that value is diminished by whatever we have to pay for them, and 4 is too much. 13 is maybe OK, I think I could live with that. But not 4.

• Like 3

Malthouse and Buckley say no Doors, I would trust their judgements..

Malthouse and buckley aren't in charge of the Melbourne Football Club.

Not entirely sure if they said "no doors" in the first place.

If you guys support Neeld then you must support him and the MFC if we sign Dawes up. No exceptions?

'No exceptions?'

Given that I previously had Einstein quoted to me, I'll use him again:

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Yep like Cale Morton.....

I hear the clattering hooves of a hobby horse.

• Like 1