Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Did we rip off GWS?

Grimseyisgod

Melbourne have gotten 2 first round picks in Scully leaving us this year with pick 3,4,13,26.

Best case scenario we get Viney pick 26.

Leaving us with the best possible chance of being big winners in this years draft.

Scully has a knee issue that is likely to bug him for his whole career and Scully going to GWS has just made him like any other of there youngsters, a player in learning.. Scully made a huge error and i believe Melbourne will be the real winners.

There is potentially 2 "scullys" we can get from this years draft with pick 3 and 4.

We won this one.

Moral of the story: dont pay a 20 year old a million dollars a year who has proved nothing

Wait and see I guess mate. But all indications are that we should come out veyr much on top - but lets wait and see how our recruiting is this draft I reckon.

just my issue with bringing in a player like Brodie Grundy.. we dont need another young tall who takes ages to wait see if he delivers.

Why dont we get 2 "gun" midfielders and set our team from there, just my opinion

yeah totally agree. We havent had that much luck bringing in potentials and hoping they go ok - Caddy is another example of that for mine although he is a mid,

But mids should be the focus for sure.

We didnt rip anyone off. That was all their own doing :)

• Like 1

its nice to see someone shares that opinion... we cannot afford another Watts siituation... as good as Jack Watts is, in his first couple of years showed nothing and added very little to the team.

A mid who performs will add as quick as next year.

Another example.

Lucas Cook

We didnt rip anyone off. That was all their own doing :)

Yeah agreed, but consequently we ripped them off.

Scully didn't make an error, he got exactly what he was after, and it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with his knee at all.

he has huge issues. I was at a dinner with Dr Peter Larkins and he told me he doesnt think Scully can end up playing consistent footy for seasons on end due to his debilitating knee issue

GWS lost nothing to get scully. Sure they overpaid in terms of his salary, but they lost no picks...

The AFL gave us the compo not GWS.

Be curious who they will be targeting this year re out of contract players they can nab..?

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

just my issue with bringing in a player like Brodie Grundy.. we dont need another young tall who takes ages to wait see if he delivers.

Why dont we get 2 "gun" midfielders and set our team from there, just my opinion

yeah totally agree. We havent had that much luck bringing in potentials and hoping they go ok - Caddy is another example of that for mine although he is a mid,

But mids should be the focus for sure.

its nice to see someone shares that opinion... we cannot afford another Watts siituation... as good as Jack Watts is, in his first couple of years showed nothing and added very little to the team.

A mid who performs will add as quick as next year.

Another example.

Lucas Cook

While I agree mids are first priority, you guys obviously don't know much about Grundy. He's VERY developed physically, very aggressive, and would come straight into our team. He's not a "developing"player in that sense, he will be learning and improving, but he's ready to go.

Comparing him to Cook just shows how little you know of him.

Moral of the story = Sheedy should be locked away

Sheedy's megalomania, and perhaps throw in a bag of bitterness against MFC as well, that made GW$ pay way over what $cully was ever going to be worth.

FCS though this time hopefully our recruiting department will actually make the most of the very ripe pickings thrown their way.

GWS lost nothing to get scully. Sure they overpaid in terms of his salary, but they lost no picks...

Be curious who they will be targeting this year re out of contract players they can nab..?

...and some are talking of giving one to them for Hogan. They have the luxury of making a few mistakes we don't.

Exactly. GWS got exactly what they wanted, without having to give up anything. (Massive salary notwithstanding)

And I think this has been overlooked in the whole FA free-for-all; GWS can still pick up a player from any club other than Adelaide, Melbourne, Fremantle and the Bulldogs.

I'm sure Gubby will be rubbing his hands together with glee at this distraction.

• Like 1

I believe Buddy Franklin, that is why Hawks are trying to sign him up now, before scrutiny comes into play.

While I agree mids are first priority, you guys obviously don't know much about Grundy. He's VERY developed physically, very aggressive, and would come straight into our team. He's not a "developing"player in that sense, he will be learning and improving, but he's ready to go.

Comparing him to Cook just shows how little you know of him.

Firstly you and i have no idea how he will fit in at AFL level.

I know plenty about Grundy, but what i also know is that players who are good at junior and SANFL level doesnt mean they translate into AFL level.

you quote " He's not a "developing"player in that sense, he will be learning and improving, but he's ready to go." implying he isnt a developing player, but than you further contradict yourself by saying he will be learning and improving, isnt that the definition of developing. Not only does he still have muscle to put on (and yes i have seen him), he has alot to learn about the game, because ever Gary Ablett admits he learns more and more about the game.

Although i believe Grundy will be a good player, we do not need him as much as we need Jack Viney for instance because our ruck stocks are more than enough.. have some faith in Jamar, Spencer, Gawn and Mitch Clark.

I would rather have a ball magnet in our team who will in time learn how to use the footy in an acceptable manner than have a player who is going to have people like Ben Reid on him next year and completely abliterate his confidence.. (this is living proof of Jack Watts).

I will not be upset if we get Grundy because i have complete faith in Mark Neeld, i would personally just rather 2 new mids

When it comes to drafting, MFC never has the last laugh.

With all our new appointments this year this should change :) plus we apparently have collingwoods recruitment manager coming across to us after the draft so things can only get better!

• Like 1

I believe Buddy Franklin, that is why Hawks are trying to sign him up now, before scrutiny comes into play.

Firstly you and i have no idea how he will fit in at AFL level.

I know plenty about Grundy, but what i also know is that players who are good at junior and SANFL level doesnt mean they translate into AFL level.

you quote " He's not a "developing"player in that sense, he will be learning and improving, but he's ready to go." implying he isnt a developing player, but than you further contradict yourself by saying he will be learning and improving, isnt that the definition of developing. Not only does he still have muscle to put on (and yes i have seen him), he has alot to learn about the game, because ever Gary Ablett admits he learns more and more about the game.

Although i believe Grundy will be a good player, we do not need him as much as we need Jack Viney for instance because our ruck stocks are more than enough.. have some faith in Jamar, Spencer, Gawn and Mitch Clark.

I would rather have a ball magnet in our team who will in time learn how to use the footy in an acceptable manner than have a player who is going to have people like Ben Reid on him next year and completely abliterate his confidence.. (this is living proof of Jack Watts).

I will not be upset if we get Grundy because i have complete faith in Mark Neeld, i would personally just rather 2 new mids

Ok, firstly, did you even read my post properly? The FIRST thing I said was mids are our first priority.

Secondly, I put the word "developing" in inverted commas, as obviously he'd be classed as such, but he's not a weak bodied young kid, he's physically mature enough to come straight into our side.

Thirdly, your point about Ablett is VERY silly. So because he says he's still learning about the game, by your own point your making you would call him a "developing" player?!

Also, re: your point about our ruckmen: Jamar had an ordinary year, Spencer and Fitzy are still developing and MFC aren't totally sold on them yet, Gawn has had 2 knee recos and may not ever fulfill his potential, Martin is good as gone, and Clark is needed at forward.