Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

And another one bites the dust - Cook

Demon Disciple

why should they be 'name' players...Sydney and Richmond have done very well with hard working, right attitude types...As Barassi said talent will get you into the AFL...its what you do with the talent that counts

yep.

Invariably many names werent so before they came good. Neeld will be very much about building a team based upon hard working 'non-names" and adding a sprinkling or more ( when avail ) of really good players.

He'll be about developing a team

It's not development, it's dud drafting. If Prendergast had done this to a European soccer club he'd be beefing up his home security.

We've finally got a coach that recognises duds. If it looks like a dud, smells like a dud, plays like a dud, it's in all likelihood a dud. I'm enjoying seeing these duds on the chopping block.

It's the happiest I've been all season.

How depressing is it that our highlight for the year is sacking half the list. The Bailey era is looking worse and worse. Makes you wonder how much of the recruiting is directed by the coaches. Probably a lot. They went for a position player in Cook rather than best available. Bit of a lesson there. Looks like Neeld had a big hand in the last draft, no wonder BP is gone and not to recruiting. He looks like he's going for type not position. Hard at it, tough, big bodied. Who's out there that covers those criteria.

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 1

I hope so. It definitely takes us out of the mind set of " just wait a few years for the highly rated kids to come on" and more in the mind set of "lets cut our losses and start again with a new tougher blueprint"

Maybe its the best way to go....it sure didnt look like the first way was bearing fruit.

halleluah brother. Infuriating how they mollycoddled our young players instead of saying 'you're in the big time now boy, get cracking'.

yep.

Invariably many names werent so before they came good. Neeld will be very much about building a team based upon hard working 'non-names" and adding a sprinkling or more ( when avail ) of really good players.

yep.

Thats' the key word right there. Those without the team mindset are gone. The pies are a good team. They have some stars but half their list are good ordinary footy players. But they play like a real team.

If thats where we are headed I am happy.

• Like 3

How depressing is it that our highlight for the year is sacking half the list. The Bailey era is looking worse and worse. Makes you wonder how much of the recruiting is directed by the coaches. Probably a lot. They went for a position player in Cook rather than best available. Bit of a lesson there.

I think you are wrong. Cook was an under 18 AA CHF. Has all the skills but clearly not the work rate or work ethic. He was on every recruiters list.

Disappointing that he was a dud but at least we have cut him quickly.

• Like 1

After hearing Mark Neeld talk mid season I was expecting to see Lucas Cook debut by the end of the year, I got the impression that Cook was being given the chance to step up. Let's face it, we've been desperate for a forward - any forward - since we lost Clarky, so the opportunity was there for him to take. So I'm not really surprised to see him handed his cards.

Interesting times we live in, Mark Neeld is starting to resemble Homer Simpson coaching little league...cut cut cut!! :lol:

• Like 5

why should they be 'name' players...Sydney and Richmond have done very well with hard working, right attitude types...As Barassi said talent will get you into the AFL...its what you do with the talent that counts

Instead of "name" I should have written proven. In other words guys that can be selected and do a job.

• Like 1

If nothing else Neeld is finally turning the list over. I thought for years under Daniher we didn't turn the list over; and Bailey didn't cut hard enough for my liking. There won't be any Juice Newton's under Neeld.

If they're not good enough move them on. Gysberts may play 100 games somewhere else, but I won't care. He won't be a dominant midfielder at AFL level. We need mids that can run and kick. Move him on.

• Like 1

Gysberts may play 100 games somewhere else, but I won't care. He won't be a dominant midfielder at AFL level. We need mids that can run and kick. Move him on.

And even if he does we're likely to get something in return that we can make useful because we're acting now.

• Like 1

Interesting times we live in, Mark Neeld is starting to resemble Homer Simpson coaching little league...cut cut cut!! :lol:

Now comes the easiest part of the coaches job, the cut. Moloney your cut, Green cut, Cook cut, Petterd cut, Morton cut, Bate cut. Now the rest of you do some laps then hit the showers except for you Bennell your cut

• Like 5

Every time I've seen Cooks name in the Casey seconds team at selection this year, you knew it was driving him closer to delisting so no real surprise with this one.

The only surprise is that people are surprised (I can excuse Herald Sun journos who have no idea where his footy has been at this year).

Time and time again the match reviews have said Cook has had 8 or 9 touches, ran to the right spots but failed to impact the contest.

I'll give him Luke Molans number, he's been kicking bags every week in my local comp for Spotswood, they can compare tales of being a first draft pick that barely

saw out two years at the club.

I can't. It's their job. If they have 'no idea' they shouldn't be writing anything.

• Like 1

I get the feeling Blease and Gysberts were in the same boat at the start of the year. One appears to have busted a nut to improve and the other one didn't. No surprises which one is being discussed as a potential candidate for an early exit.

Don't care one way or the other about the specific trade, but I'll love the symbolism if Neeld re-homes Gysberts.

And even if he does we're likely to get something in return that we can make useful because we're acting now.

This is an element that many seem to be glossing over: Timeframe

Though undoubtedly a fair proportion of the draftess will take a year or two to impact there well might be one or so that doesnt.i.e Hits the deck running. I mean as well as Viney. Those that are traded and brought in will I have no doubt be chosen becuase they will have an effect on the team immediately .

This in comparison to the etermnally trotted out" they need to develop" type players which translates into dont expect anything anytime soon.

Neeld is about to ramp up the side from one thats been watched and evaluated into one that plays, plays his game, or else. But to this end I dont see him as needing to threaten as he will have a list that is listening, that has 'bought in'

Melbourne are clearly going to be aggressive in the free trade market. MN knows the player types he wants and has shown a clear intent to get them as well as get rid of those that don't want to get with the program.

The FT market wil be very interesting. We have money, intent, salary cap room and list room.

Glad we are finally growing some cojones.

Sad to see a young player go. But I'm also sick of how many skinny youngsters we've got. Part of being an AFL footballer is building yourself up and creating a decent sized body to be competitive, Gysberts and Cook barely look like they've changed shape in years. There had to have been work ethic problems going on there.

Sad to see a young player go. But I'm also sick of how many skinny youngsters we've got. Part of being an AFL footballer is building yourself up and creating a decent sized body to be competitive, Gysberts and Cook barely look like they've changed shape in years. There had to have been work ethic problems going on there.

I wonder where all of this leaves Cale Morton?

• Like 2

I get the feeling Blease and Gysberts were in the same boat at the start of the year. One appears to have busted a nut to improve and the other one didn't. No surprises which one is being discussed as a potential candidate for an early exit.

Don't care one way or the other about the specific trade, but I'll love the symbolism if Neeld re-homes Gysberts.

This is exactly what I was about to post.

Wonder how Cale is going.

max_400_scared-dog2.jpg

• Like 1

Blease spent the whole year playing. The first third of the year was playing in the VFL, and he spent a few games in the middle of the year as the sub.

Gysberts spent the first half of the year injured.

One had a chance to bust his nut, the other was sidelined.

• Like 2

Ridiculous how skinny he is after years in the system. Bulding muscle takes a while but he's been at Melbourne for years. Similar to Justin Westhoff, a similarly frustrated player who doesn't seem like he could bench press his own socks.

• Like 1

.... Jai Sheehan and Leigh Williams are easily more of a presence at Casey, the former I think has been great the last 3 weeks (yes i have been there) the latter was also very good in his last appearance especially considering the issues he has had this year. Yes waste of pic but Jai at least on exposed form and talent in terms of list management looks to be and upgrade.

Had to feel for Lucas though, on the weekend he just got monster ed, got to the fall of ball OK but always had the defender who was 2x his size on him knocking him out of the way.

This thread should be moved to become a subsection of the MFC's Poor Drafting thread.

So are Williams and Sheahan both eligible to be moved to the senior (?only) list for 2013. I have seen neither, or rather a brief glimpse of Williams on TV, but they both sound like at least well developed physically. And Williams aft his near death experience sounds as if he has a real hunger for life and success....bring 'em on!

Looking forward to the preseason.

sitting >>>>>> trade table>>>>>> with a few mates :unsure:^_^