Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Season 2012 Player Ratings

Hannibal

Rating out of 10 measured against expectation and performance, so there will be discrepancies

Nathan Jones: 8 - best year and will win the B&F - little support in the midfield

Mitch Clark: 7 - a real target and stood up - untimely injury - only half a year

Stefan Martin: 4 - drop off in form, plus injuries

Jeremy Howe: 7.5 - good second year and capable of much more

Col Sylvia: 4.5 - injury, a good patch of 5 or so weeks, but overall disappointing - lazy

Jack Trengove: 6 - leading the club in defensive stats, but lost zip

Jack Grimes: 7 - finally played virtually an entire year and got better as it went on - too many mistakes

Dan Nicholson: 5 - injuries didn't help, but was handy - needs to improve kicking

Jack Watts: 4.5 - development as a forward failed, lacks intensity and courage in the air, had some good games down back

Jordie McKenzie: 6 - serviceable and shut down some good players

Clint Bartram: 3 - cruelled by injuries

Cale Morton: 2 - he's a Morton

Mark Jamar: 4 - regressing and starting to resemble 'donuts'

Jake Spencer: 3.5 - limited player that did about what was expected, but only 8 games

James Frawley: 6 - hasn't recaptured his form from 2010, but has a tough gig

Joel MacDonald: 5.5 - played OK, not the future - fumbler/turnovers - looks like Steve Carell

Tom McDonald: 7.5 - competes well and great year for a young player - key back for a long time

Matthew Bate: 3.5 - decent VFL player

James Magner: 6 - started well, and did OK to play 17 games - don't see a future

Lynden Dunn: 5 - finished the year better in defence - treading water

Col Garland: 6 - generally a disappointing year, but played 22 games - has classic brain fades and looks out of it

Rohan Bail: 6 - limited foot skills and doesn't find it enough - fumbler

Brent Moloney: 2.5 - doesn't run/work hard enough and through in the towel - bye

Brad Green: 4 - game passed him by, but tried til the end - respect

Jared Rivers: 7 - had a good year

Sam Blease: 5 - needs a tank, work ethic, and to be harder, but showed potential

Luke Tapscott: 5 - good potential, but a lot of work to do - doesn't find the ball enough - needs a preseason

Aaron Davey: 3 - injuries and the game has passed him by

Jordie Gysberts: 1.5 - slow, out of breath, injuries

James Sellar: 5 - depth player, but got games

Nevile Jetta: 3.5 - injuries, limited, but has a crack

Ricky Petterd: 1 - not in future plans - showed such promise early in his career

Tom Couch: 3 - got games off rookie list, but not AFL standard

Liam Jurrah: 1 - a disaster

James Strauss: 5 - did well overcoming major injury to play 7 games - not hard enough at the contest - needs a preseason

Josh Tynan: 3 - injuries, but debuted with 2 games and has a crack

Jamie Bennell: 2 - not hard enough and doesn't get it enough

Jack Fitzpatrick: 3 - slowly developing agile tall with pace, but a diabolical kick

A terrible year with few genuine core players. There's potential, but every club could say that. The crucial draft picks we've had over the last 4 years have been an unmitigated disaster. We had to get those picks right, but didn't. No club had a stronger hand at the draft table over that time, but most ended up doing better. It was almost unthinkable that we couldn't land a genuine 'star' during that period, but the 'unthinkable' is presently our reality, although I recognise that time is still on the side of some.

We find ourselves once again with an enviable hand in the upcoming draft/trade period. Needless to say, to build a team capable of fighting for a flag in 5 years time we can't get it wrong. The damage may have already been done, but in my opinion there's still blue sky if we get it right. History doesn't favour us.

Nathan Jones: 8.5 Strong, consistent, good skills and few brain fades

Mitch Clark: 7 - for the time he played probably 8 - 9, but injury reduces his score to 7

Stefan Martin: 4 - injuries monstered him and he lacked that 2011 2nd effort for most of the games he played in 2012

Jeremy Howe: 7 - showed class at times, is very fit, but his kicking for goal from set shots is inefficient

Col Sylvia: 5 - suspension, injury messed him up but he finished with his most consistent form ever.

Jack Trengove: 6.5 - the growth in the defensive side of his game goes unnoticed, but he looked slow and physically weak when in space.

Jack Grimes: 8 - this might seem too high but I reckon his on-field leadership was outstanding. We might finally have a decent skipper. However, his turnovers must reduce, especially when he is the clear.

Dan Nicholson: 4.5 - looked great at times, but poor kicking haunts him. Good pace and grunt though

Jack Watts: 5 - decision making and awareness are unique, and his skills on both side are excellent (usually) but rarely if ever shows urgency, leadership or grunt. He was drafted sue to pack marking and has shown little in this area.

Jordie McKenzie: 6.5 - His game seemed to mature later in the year but was physically tired by last two games.

Clint Bartram: 2 - injuries

Cale Morton: 3 - had a four game patch where I thought he was turning it around but is not mentally an elite athlete. Poor.

Mark Jamar: 4 - I don't understand what happened apart from injuries but lacked presence.

Jake Spencer: 5 - at times liked what I saw, at other times horrified he is on our list. He continues to improve.

James Frawley: 6 - needs another big bodied backman to help out. Is too often the only big body imposing himself on the opposition forwards.

Joel MacDonald: 6 - HIs form late in the season was really good but I am never confident when he has the ball.

Tom McDonald: 7.5 - An absolute keeper who has size, smarts and tocker. Needs to learn to kick.

Matthew Bate: 4 - gone

James Magner: 5 - just doesn't do it for me. AFL size and standard seems too slick for him most of the time

Lynden Dunn:6 - reckon he might have found a good spot down back, but is super-dumb at times. Just OK

Col Garland: 6 - agree: generally a disappointing year, and some major stuff ups that were costly

Rohan Bail: 5.5 - I am a huge fan and I reckon he has a big upside but was disappointing for most of the year. ANOTHER horrible kick.

Brent Moloney: 3 - tried hard but couldn't accommodate the Neeld style

Brad Green: 6 - Apart from Clark our only genuine forward and should have been used better

Jared Rivers: 8 - great footy nouse, knows when to defend and when to peel off, great smothers and 1%ers.

Sam Blease: 6 - we finally have a player with pace and class. Should be outstanding in 2013

Luke Tapscott: 5 - much better, but injuries again ruined his potential.

Aaron Davey: 3 - Can he come back from his knee? Probably not.

Jordie Gysberts: 2 - cannot believe he was not given a better go. May have seemed unfit but game play aids fitness.

James Sellar: 5.5 - after 5 rounds didn't want to see him again, but proved me wrong. Good spare back/ 2nd ruck option

Nevile Jetta: 3.5 - injuries, but will big a big improver with another preseason. Will be in starting 22 in 2013, barring injuries.

Ricky Petterd: 1 - severe attitude problems on full display in games at Casey.

Tom Couch: 3 - got games off rookie list, but not AFL standard

Liam Jurrah: 1 - a disaster

James Strauss: 5 - preseason will be the making of him, huge upside, should be starting 22 in 2013. Saw great signs at times.

Josh Tynan: 3 - again injuries, but really liked what I saw in terms of attitude, attack and courage.

Jamie Bennell: 2 - rarely makes the play, seems to wait until it comes to him.

Jack Fitzpatrick: 4 - Surprised me heaps this year. Is developing quickly now after a slow start and might be a suprise in 2013. Not fully convinced yet.

I cannot believe how many times I just typed words relating to our player being poor kicks. Do we have a decent skills coach?

Jones 9.

Best player for Dees by a mile, didn't get caught with the ball like he used to. Not only our best but most improved.

Howe 7.5

A good high forward / midfielder, all class but a shitty kick.

Clark 7

Proved himself in just a fistful of games. Attacks the ball and the man like a KPF should.

Grimes 7

The most consistent season he has had and has shown real leadership.

McDonald 7

Apart from kicking he was one of our better defenders.

Rivers 6.5

Had his best year since 2004, played like he wants to be here.

Trengove 6

Played under a lot of pressure early, but improved out of sight in the latter half.

Blease 6

Refer trengove above.

The rest were not consistent enough to comment.

Col Sylvia deserves more than 4.5

I thought the OP made the criteria pretty clear - "Rating out of 10 measured against expectation and performance"

4.5 is generous.

I take no pleasure in potting players but I'm yet to see Col go lower or harder than any opponent in a genuine 50/50 ground contest all year. His tackle counts are reasonable because he often trails behind his direct opponent. He doesn't work hard enough into space to provide options when he have the ball and his defensive pressure is often token at best. His best moments come against the weaker opponents and when the fizz has gone out of games. On the rare occasions the opposition has given him a hard tag he's been taken out of the game all too easily.

Because his talent is so obvious he is one of very few players who would attract attention from other teams. For that reason, I'd be more than willing to involve him in trade talk to help us obtain the steel and work ethic our team so desperately needs.

• Like 1

2 points. Sylvia - while he is capable of a lot more, on the eve of the year he broke his back. Not a hamstring injuriy, recovery is long and painful, high expectations are unreasonable, perhaps took time to catch up with the new coaches, our best player over the past month. Jake Spencer some ability but he's not Dean Cox. Pretty good return from an ACL injury for a big man

Jones 9.

Best player for Dees by a mile, didn't get caught with the ball like he used to. Not only our best but most improved.

Howe 7.5

A good high forward / midfielder, all class but a shitty kick.

Clark 7

Proved himself in just a fistful of games. Attacks the ball and the man like a KPF should.

Grimes 7

The most consistent season he has had and has shown real leadership.

McDonald 7

Apart from kicking he was one of our better defenders.

Rivers 6.5

Had his best year since 2004, played like he wants to be here.

Trengove 6

Played under a lot of pressure early, but improved out of sight in the latter half.

Blease 6

Refer trengove above.

The rest were not consistent enough to comment.

But he doesn't Chippy,

Trengove 6 ,umm 4.5 for me

Otherwise I agree, cannot believe that people have given so many players a pass mark when we had one genuine win and finished effectively Bottom.

2 points. Sylvia - while he is capable of a lot more, on the eve of the year he broke his back. Not a hamstring injuriy, recovery is long and painful, high expectations are unreasonable, perhaps took time to catch up with the new coaches, our best player over the past month. Jake Spencer some ability but he's not Dean Cox. Pretty good return from an ACL injury for a big man

Good comments about Sylvia.

Judge players on performance when playing and fit. Not when they are not playing and recovering from injury.

I feel when he finally got his body right and could go full bore, was our best player towards the end of the year.

on Expectation a fully fit Sylvia that can play every game including pre-season, will deliver what we expect.

8 - Jones - B&F easier than Black Caviar. They should do away with the count

7 - Clark, McDonald, Howe, Mc Donald

6- Frawley, Garland, Grimes, Rivers, Blease,

5- Trengove, Strauss,Joel Mac, Nicholson,Watts, McKenzie

4.5- Sellar, Dunn, Spencer, Fitzpatrick

4 - Green, Jetta, Davis, Bail, Jamar, Sylvia, Magner, Martin

3 - Moloney, Couch, Bartram, Morton, Cook

2- Bate, Bennell, Gysberts

1- Jurrah, Davey, Petterd, Gawn

Bold - Going? going gone

Bold - Trade potential

8 - Jones - B&F easier than Black Caviar. They should do away with the count

7 - Clark, McDonald, Howe, Mc Donald

6- Frawley, Garland, Grimes, Rivers, Blease,

5- Trengove, Strauss,Joel Mac, Nicholson,Watts, McKenzie

4.5- Sellar, Dunn, Spencer, Fitzpatrick

4 - Green, Jetta, Bail, Jamar, Sylvia, Magner, Martin

3 - Moloney, Couch, Bartram, Morton, Cook

2- Bate, Bennell, Gysberts

1- Jurrah, Davey, Petterd, Gawn

Bold - Going? going gone

Bold - Trade potential

RR I don't disagree with much on your list

But how do you give cook 3?

Is that for turning up at Casey on game day?

RR I don't disagree with much on your list

But how do you give cook 3?

Is that for turning up at Casey on game day?

It was possible that he may not play a game in the AFL in his 2nd year but what pizzed me off is that he did not make an impact in the VFL.

If he had justifed a shot at AFL he was a 5. If he made an impact in the AFL like McDonald he is a 7.

It was possible that he may not play a game in the AFL in his 2nd year but what pizzed me off is that he did not make an impact in the VFL.

If he had justifed a shot at AFL he was a 5. If he made an impact in the AFL like McDonald he is a 7.

Ok I understand so we have a different rating system.

Under my system if you do not play and never look like getting a game at AFL level you score ZERO

Nathan Jones: 8 - Won me over, tackling has improved, looked to be struggling towards the end but carrying 15 blokes will do that to ya.

Mitch Clark: 9 - Not counting the injury, purely on the park. If he didn't mark it, he crumbed it and had a shot anyway. Aggressive, didn't drop his head like forwards tend to do, and didn't miss a beat when he had to get thrown into the middle. Would have been the recruit of the year if not injured and will win a Coleman in a decent team.

Stefan Martin: 2 - Compared to his break-out form when Jamar went down, it's a 2.

Jeremy Howe: 7 - Genuine highlight, not just the marks, also the zip, the overall game and the obvious room for improvement. Reminds me of Dale Thomas. I'm not worried about his kicking.

Col Sylvia: 6 - I think he got going in the end, his class puts him above the battlers, I like to see him play a full season in the guts if he sticks around and dedicates himself to that role.

Jack Trengove: 5 - Ugly early. Serviceable late. Not sure what the issue is, if there is one, hope he gets better either way.

Jack Grimes: 7 - finally played virtually an entire year and got better as it went on - too many mistakes <- this

Dan Nicholson: 5 - injuries didn't help, but was handy - needs to improve kicking <- this + decent Bartram replacement.

Jack Watts: 4 - 4 for racking up possessions and most of the usage. Everything else was a fail and I am not a fan.

Jordie McKenzie: 6 - Carried injuries but ultimately played his role better than most played theirs.

Clint Bartram: N/A

Cale Morton: 2 - he's a Morton <- LOL

Mark Jamar: 3 - Can't remember a single good game from him.

Jake Spencer: 2 - Harsh, but 1 point less than Jamar.

James Frawley: 6 - Has lost something, I dunno, that determination not to be beaten the next contest. Just looked to be going through the motions.

Joel MacDonald: 5 - Meh. 10 for endevor, minus 5 for errors.

Tom McDonald: 8 - High marks considering his age and number of games played. Does well in the contests and is always there to mop up, disposal looked safer towards the end of the season, and he played well all season.

Matthew Bate: 4 - Not a fan, but I thought he did alright in some of his games.

James Magner: 4 - Not a fan. Thought I would be for life after his debut. But the disposal is ugly and the last 2/3 of the season was pretty much nothing. However I think Neeld should have left him smack bang in the guts.

Lynden Dunn: 6 - It went NO, meh, yeahhh, then meh again, if you get what I'm saying. I'd keep him purely on his play-on-and-hit-a-target from defense ability. At least until someone better can do that.

Col Garland: 5 - A bit like Chip, has just lost something, must be depressing back there.

Rohan Bail: 3 - wtf does he even do?

Brent Moloney: 1 - One for showing up on time?

Brad Green: 4 - Classy guy til the end, poor last 2 seasons though.

Jared Rivers: 8 - Was playing well down back and then put in a completely foreign roll where he did quite well, battled hard, made the most of the slops he was given.

Sam Blease: 5 - 10 for potential, minus 5 for fitness.

Luke Tapscott: 3.5 - For aggression, can't think of much else that he does. Needs to get way fitter.

Aaron Davey: 2 - 1 for showing up on time, 1 for not being Brent Moloney.

Jordie Gysberts: 2 - Huge disappointment.

James Sellar: 5 - Handy, played the roles he was given.

Nevile Jetta: 3 - Think I've seen enough, sadly.

Ricky Petterd: 0 - Didn't fire a shot, don't care what time he showed up.

Tom Couch: 1 - Yeah nah

Liam Jurrah: 0 - Was going to give him 1 for possession... of a deadly weapon, but thought it'd offend the softies. Oops, just did.

James Strauss: 4 - Wanna see more. Kudos for the comeback.

Josh Tynan: 4 - Liked what I saw

Jamie Bennell: 1 - For sympathy. He's no good though.

Jack Fitzpatrick: 5 - Really liked what I saw at Casey

Ok I understand so we have a different rating system.

Under my system if you do not play and never look like getting a game at AFL level you score ZERO

The rules were set by the OP and I played by them.

Rating out of 10 measured against expectation and performance,

[

Nathan Jones: 9 - Didn't think he had another gear to move into, but that he did. Most improved Demon I've seen in my 20 years.

Mitch Clark: 9 - I had high hopes but my expectations were spectacularly exceeded. Remarkable agility for a bloke so good at busting packs.

Stefan Martin: 2.5 - Distance between best and worst massive. Hard to know how much was injuries and how much was nous.

Jeremy Howe: 8 - Extraordinary that a bloke of such natural talent could be overlooked for so long. Love to see him move back forward when we get the midfield sorted out.

Col Sylvia: 5 - Not sure if I love him any more. Seemed to bully ordinary sides and go missing against average/good ones.

Jack Trengove: 3 - By far the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I'm praying it was a chronic, play-throughable injury.

Jack Grimes: 7.5 - asked to do too much, but did most of it pretty well. A more than adequate first year as skipper.

Dan Nicholson: 5 - worth persevering with. Creative, but may never have the skills to turn theory into practice.

Jack Watts: 5.5 - still willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Next year needs to become a key forward or a creator from half back who doesn't get pushed off the ball by smaller opponents. Just fair this year.

Jordie McKenzie: 5 - not as much of the inside creativity that I liked so much last year. Shut down some good players, let other opponents get too much of it.

Clint Bartram:

Cale Morton: 1 - I can tolerate just about all of it except the kicking. How did they rate his kicking as "elite"?

Mark Jamar: 2.5 - none of the powerful marking that made him such a good player a couple of years ago.

Jake Spencer: 0.5 - I don't get it. I desperately need someone to explain this to me - is it like the AFL equivalent of Fred Basset? Not remotely close to the second worst player in the league.

James Frawley: 4 - considered him our best player in 2011. What happened this year? Often beaten one on one. Seemed a yard slower. Poor.

Joel MacDonald: 2 - astonishing that he continued to get a game. You haven't been able to get away with both poor decision-making and poor execution by foot since 2002.

Tom McDonald: 6 - Love the endeavour and obvious aerobic superiority. I seem to be far more concerned about his kicking than others. Won't make it if he keeps dropping it like a sandwich.

Matthew Bate: 2 - No.

James Magner: 5 - Got a hint of the post-15th concussion Luke Balls about him. Good start, but Neeld was obviously not convinced.

Lynden Dunn: 5.5 - It went NO, meh, yeahhh, then meh again, if you get what I'm saying. I'd keep him purely on his play-on-and-hit-a-target from defense ability. At least until someone better can do that. (Agree with DA.) Remains one of the best kicks for goal I've seen at the Demons.

Col Garland: 4 - classic confidence player and seemed to have little this year. Too talented to dismiss.

Rohan Bail: 4 - loved him right up until THAT turnover game. May quickly be passed in 2013.

Brent Moloney: 0 - I had to say I told you so, but I did... on 'Ology.

Brad Green: 4 - Not a great end to a great career.

Jared Rivers: 8 - Love the bloke. Has shown he's more than a fly-and-punch backman. Has every right to seek greener pastures, but I'd be devastated.

Sam Blease: 6 - I still think he's the most exciting player on the list. Run all pre-season, Sam.

Luke Tapscott: 3 - Didn't get anywhere near enough of it. Not hugely impressed with his kicking, either. Still optimistic, despite all that.

Aaron Davey: 2 - So sad.

Jordie Gysberts: 2 - I still have high hopes for him. Hope they keep him.

James Sellar: 3 - Played the "Leigh Brown role" but with little of the effectiveness. Not convinced at all.

Nevile Jetta: 4 - Wouldn't be upset if he got one more year. Still have no idea where his best position is. Neat footballer.

Ricky Petterd: 2 - Absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Looked a gem just 18 months ago.

Tom Couch: 1 - Yeah nah (DA)

Liam Jurrah: 0 - I'm shaking my head as I type.

James Strauss: 2 - Recruited for his kicking - still haven't seen anything to make me think it's anything other than slightly above average. Admittedly, difficult to show it off in THIS team.

Josh Tynan: 3 - Promising in patches.

Jamie Bennell: 1 - Does etiquette say you hang on to a bloke with a ruptured ACL? That'd be the only reason now.

Jack Fitzpatrick: 2 - A glimmer at the end?

• Like 1

Anyone who gives pass marks (ie 5 or more) to more than five players (Jones, Clark, McDonald, Howe & Grimes) this year is kidding themselves. Everyone else massively underachieved, which is why we won four games and finished with a percentage in the mid-60s. If we ever win a premiership, some of you guys will be giving 15 out of 10.

• Like 1

Sylvia played 17 games. Stop this crap about 'broke his back'. Makes it sound like it was snapped in two. He suffered two small fractures. Yes it meant he lost some momentum for the year but he has had 8 years and done nothing consistent blah blah blah..

4.5 is the right mark.

Oh and in his first game back (rd 5) he laid 6 tackles. So his back was OK and not a problem.

Edited by jnrmac

Anyone who gives pass marks (ie 5 or more) to more than five players (Jones, Clark, McDonald, Howe & Grimes) this year is kidding themselves.

You either didn't see the following sentence at the top of the OP, or didn't understand it. I suspect the latter.

"Rating out of 10 measured against expectation and performance, so there will be discrepancies"

Posters 5.5 average

Need to understand what the meaning of 'getting a full presseason in" actually means to consistent peformance during the season

Need to understand that the new Coach wants versatility in 'all' players and has been asking them to perform roles that they may not be familiar or comfortable with

Need to understand that if you get an injury that requires a couple of weeks off during the season, it takes a couple of games to get back going again

Need to understand that this could have been a worthwhile exercise for some, but some decided to just 'bash' their normal bashees.

Need to understand that whatever they post on here has no influence on the Footy Dept thinking whatsoever.

Going to the B&F

Expect to see

Jones, Howe, Rivers, Tommy Mc, Grimes, Jordie Mc feature as top 5 or 6 , rest had injuries, loss of form etc

Dan Nicholson for coach's award

Most of the ratings I have seen seem fair (tongue in cheek) but really......Watts. people need to get a grip, he is still only 21 will reach his prime in a couple of yeas, (and before the Darling name pops up....he is one forward in a forward line that can contain Lynch, Kennedy, Natanui or Cox, Le Cras, Embley etc, so he hasn't exactly got a teams best defender on him)

Jack will be a player but more in the Goddard mould

Same applies to Trengove

Gee not sure how the italics to there, keyboard must have been drungting

Edited by satyricon
  • Like 1

Mark Jamar: 4 - I don't understand what happened apart from injuries but lacked presence.

That's surely just the thing, isn't it? Injuries. I don't reckon there's anything else to understand.

I think with a player like Jamar, who's naturally not very althletic, it would mean his ability to get to and impact contests is going to be diminished if his fitness falls. I think it's no coincidence that his best and most consistent year was the year he played every game, and the year after after doing a full pre-season. I'd say whether he ever returns to his AA form depends entirely on whether he can get fit again and build up the momentum like he did a couple of years back.

All just guesswork of course, but it sounds plausible to me.