Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Josh Caddy

Range Rover

Robbo was a really bad kick at goal for a couple of years before he got his action correct. Admittadly goal kicking is not field kicking but IIRC Robbo came off a low base and became quite a good shot.

the comparisons with howe continue

That would be a great trade for us. I see Moloney has been dropped again this week, so I think his future is being made quite certain to him - TRADE!

You could add to the Molony plus pick 13 trade with Bate & Bennell for all I care. We would be getting a future A grade mid for blokes who are 'ok' at best.

moloney is a free agent. clubs dont have to enter a trade with us to get him. he can just walk. an error on the part of the afl.com journo who wrote this fantasy trade idea.

Toy is looking more and more likely to come back to Victoria at the end of the season.

He was highly rated as a junior but has done practically nothing while at the Suns.

He could end up being involved in a deal with Caddy, especially as GC have to decrease their list size.

Guest José Mourinho

Since none of the potential draftees are playing against men in the AFL, maybe a better way to get a "true" comparison, is to compare Caddy's reviews pre-draft in 2010?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoops-annual-mock-draft.771940/

Selection # 8 (ESSENDON)

Josh Caddy – Northern Knights/ 186cm / 81kg

Profile : Just love this bloke. Saw a bit of him this year and every time just impressed me with the way he goes about his footy – tough, fearless and effective! Doesnt present immediately as a great athlete but his testing results were bloody awesome.....particularly his pace, agility and endurance results. Has a terrific sense of reading a contest and winning and clearing the ball. Can also be thrown around the ground a bit and think he will probably start more as a HBF who will push up into the midfield group. Terrific height for a midfielder and in addition to his clearance work his skills are very good, he can take a contested mark and is a goal kicking mid which always provides that bit extra attraction. This kid will go high. Performances and his testingbhave been terrific.

Why Essendon: Screaming out for some quality mids and frankly would be happy if any of the above fell through. Been rumours they love Caddy and he is a great fit. Nice fit with Melksham in years to come!

Similar to: Michael Voss

Roughie: Have good mail Prestia could go here. Lynch could be the one.

Draft Range: Great season, Great Champs, Great DC....cannot see him lasting long

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/quigleys-2010-mock-not-for-the-hard-of-reading.774682/

Josh Caddy

DOB 28/9/92 Ht 186 Wt 81

This is a little lower than most have Caddy but there are a couple of reasons one of the main ones being that from reports (from several people that know him) he is a tool. With the emphasis given to interviews and personality types these days I think he will get marked down for this. From older people associated with his club he is seen as a reasonable kid but I am yet to hear a good word from anyone close to his own age. With that said it didn’t stop Martin from going at 3 last year and having an excellent first year and the reports about him were at least as bad.

Playing style wise Caddy reminds me a lot of Cunnington from last year. He is a more mature body type and uses that body well at under 18 level to outmuscle his opposition. He doesn’t quite have the kamikaze attitude that Cunnington has but he is someone who commits to a contest and goes at it hardcore. This is particularly the case with marking in the forward line. Although predominantly a midfielder he is reasonably effective up forward. Anyone who takes him though will be taking him as an inside midfielder. He is a big clearance winner and is very much a bottom of the pack kind of inside mid and uses his strength at under 18 level to make space around himself. I do have some concerns about how well his game will translate to the AFL though. He have fairly clean hands and overall I would say he is an excellent collector of the ball who reads the taps better than virtually any of the midfield prospects this year. Once he gets the ball though I have issues.

His hands are not quick and his handballs can be pretty hit and miss. For an inside mid at AFL level this is likely to be a significant issue. Caddy also likes to collect the ball and take a few steps before handballing or more likely kicking the ball. He has good awareness of where players are in the contested situations and he runs to good spots to allow himself to get away with this. Its going to be a different story at AFL level however. AFL midfielders are going to be as big and strong as he is and in most case quicker (I know he timed very surprisingly good with a 2.93 but he still doesn’t play with pace) and will shut him down quickly and nail him with tackles rather than be brushed as is the case at under 18 level. He does not have the explosiveness or elusiveness to get past AFL standard players in a similar situation and he does not clear his arms as well as I would like in a tackle to compensate when caught. He takes his time well at the moment and is fairly composed under pressure but the way he plays he is going to be under pressure all the time and I am not sure he will cope as well as others. He is already prone to spraying his kicks a bit and has put a few out of bounds on the full in the games I have watched. There doesn’t seem to be anything particularly wrong mechanically with his kicking and indeed he seems to have pretty good penetration when he gets hold of it. His kicking efficiency is probably not very high because of the sheer number of kicks he executes in contested situations.

At the Champs he averaged 24 possessions per game and during the telecast of the last match it was mentioned that he was averaging 16 contested possessions in his 20 per game to that time. He only played three games in the Champs coming in underdone and improved with each match. He continued to improve and was one of the better players in the TAC in the latter part of the year.

Overall he is a solid but unspectacular inside mid prospect who performed extremely well at the Combine but doesn’t really play up to those results and nor does he do a lot of good things with the ball when he gets it. He is a teens pick for me.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2010-mock-draft.768543/

#8 (Essendon) – Josh Caddy (VIC)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 28/09/1992

Recruited from: Northern Knights

Style: Michael Voss/ Ben Cunnington

Range: 5-15

Why: Caddy is a courageous tough nut who isn’t afraid to put his body on the line. He thinks he is a bull with the way he plays. Tackles hard and when moved forward can kick his share of goals. Very good kick of the footy and also has great hands. At U18 level he relies too much on physically beating his opponents which may not translate at AFL level because there will be bigger, stronger bodies who he will struggle against. Upside is a little questionable with his style of play but he should be able to play sooner rather than later. At the draft combine showed that he has better speed than he shows, needs to develop more variety to his game and a bit more of an outside game to go with his inside game. Still projects to be a very good player, and should play games from season one.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/foj-1-mock-draft.773153/

Pick 16 Port Adelaide Josh Caddy Vic Metro

Caddy is a rough and tumble ball winning machine who will fight to the death every time he steps on the footy ground. Caddy has no obvious weaknesses in his game as his testing showed him to be quick enough for the next level. Caddy will complement a young midfield and should give it a hard edge. I could see Caddy playing a fair bit next year and will not be intimidated at AFL level.

Since this is a 'super draft' and the general consensus is that the top 20 is stocked with really talented midfielders would we mot be better off using our pick 13 on a mayes/o rourke/stringer and then backing our apparently bona fide fitness guru get them into shape.

This new fd is charged with restarting club culture from basically scratch, would love it if we became a club known for taking raw talent and developing it in house rather than shopping around.

Caddy is just looking to transfer to a zip code rather than our club, and a draftee may well show more loyalty and passion in the vein of jordie mckenzie

• Like 2

we should be focussing on using pick 13 on a type of player we really need. a speedy, talented player like ben kennedy or dayle garlett would be far more beneficial than another inside mid, we will be getting viney for that job

Really like the sound of kennedy if the reports are accurate

I really like Kennedy - he reminds me of a quicker (and tougher) version of Shannon Grant - I would be quite surprised if he was still available at 13.

Hey guys... maybe you could assist with the Ben Kennedy thread. Yes I agree he looks very good and would fit into our future. pace, skills, loves a goal.

But don't compare a draftee to a current player or you will be shot down !!

Caddy at #13 with a mature body with 2 years development. But if not Kennedy or Gartlett at #13 a good investments.

Not sure about Caddy, hasn't really set the game on fire and have to agree with the post about this draft and the available talent at least in the first round. We also have Rory Taggert who is already a bigger body, good pace but yet to play senior football, good skills, elite kick.

Would Caddy cost us someone like Stringer?

Just thinking aloud with a keyboard, dangerous habit at this time of night.

Yes, go hard for Caddy.

And as we will be offloading quite a number from the 2012 list, We need big bodies in our mid field so I suggest we also go hard for Knights, Xavier Ellis, Goldsack as well.

If we can't get Cloke, have a go at Gumbleton, either would be great support for Mighty Mitch Clark.

• Like 1

My understanding with Gumbleton is he wants to stay at the Bombers, similar to Dees support of Sam Blease while he was injured, Scott feels he owes the club.

Having said that though with Joe Danniher being taken on Essendon do have an abundance of talls and may need to off load 1 or 2.

I know there are the injury concerns but have been told from someone close to Scott during his last Op on his back they found a bone spur, which had been undetected that was causing the pain and he has been able to train freely once it was removed.

I'd still go for Cloke but only if it didn't affect other contracts going forward, but should that fall over you could do worse than Gumbleton, saw him play colts in WA and he was outstanding, thought he would be really good at AFL level but injury curtailed him

• Like 1

Don't see the wraps on caddy...will be a serviceable mid but not worth the overs to be asked

don't see the wraps on cloke...good contested mark, woeful set shot and is obviously not a team player (on or off field) and not worth the overs to be asked.

And as for Gumbleton ... well I haven't really seen him play more than a handful of games, ever.

Would rather gamble on drafting quick mids at the top and maybe some rebounders at the back end

Watching the Suns v Carlton half time the Suns are leading 69 v 31. It has been an exciting game and Caddy has had no influence except a lucky goal. His disposal has been awful. I would prefer best available for our pick 13.

played a major role tonight. kicked 3 goals and mostly up forward.

I'm open minded, but he looked terrible yesterday. Other than the Geelong game he's pretty well done nothing all year. He's played every game and averaged 15 disposals, but more to the point he's fumbled a lot and turned it over with poor disposals and decisions.

Right now I'd rather keep pick 13. One of Garlett, Kennedy, Menzel, or Stringer should be around at that pick and from what I've seen I'd prefer all four.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 3

I'm open minded, but he looked terrible yesterday. Other than the Geelong game he's pretty well done nothing all year. He's played every game and averaged 15 disposals, but more to the point he's fumbled a lot and turned it over with poor disposals and decisions.

Right now I'd rather keep pick 13. One of Garlett, Kennedy, Menzel, or Stringer should be around at that pick and from what I've seen I'd prefer all three.

I'm with you Ben, I've not seen a lot of Caddy but from what I have I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Would rather keep pick 13 and use it wisely.

Definitely not keen on Caddy. I've watched him for four games now and can't see what the fuss is about. Last night during the 2nd quarter I noticed he had had 2 possessions, so he wasn't a great contributor to GC's great start. Each week there are so many other players in the team who are involved throughout the game but never Caddy. Apart from fumbling last night and not getting his own ball, last week his 8 possessions up to 3/4 time were those of a bit-player. If we were getting him for pick 13 I would have liked to have seen him creating more play or getting his own ball.

If we were getting him for pick 13 I would have liked to have seen him creating more play or getting his own ball.

If he did that, it would cost a pick 4.

People scoff at Caddy's ave 15 disposals. Trengove ave 17.

if you were another club, you would scoff at Trengove and not pay pick 13 because of his year?

Caddy will be good value at 13.

Edited by jacey

If he did that, it would cost a pick 4.

People scoff at Caddy's ave 15 disposals. Trengove ave 17.

if you were another club, you would scoff at Trengove and not pay pick 13 because of his year?

Caddy will be good value at 13.

What are you basing that on? Trengove has had a good year or two before this, but Caddy showed little to nothing last year.

If you are saying Caddy will be good value at 13 because of what he showed as a junior we may as well keep it and use it on a player in this draft because from what I have seen this year his value has only fallen. Not worth pick 13.