Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Bait

olisik

Guest José Mourinho

What I love about trade threads is how people think the opposition clubs are idiots, that or they live in imagination land.

GCS would not give us Caddy for tappscot. to get Caddy we would need to give pick 4 or Jones. And even Jones may not get the deal done.

After that post I don't think it's the opposition who are idiots...

You're WAY overvaluing Caddy after a couple of good games.

Embarrassingly so.

Before last weekend I reckon we had 3 players who were legit trade bait. After Bennell's injury I reckon that's now down to 2 being Petterd & Spencer. Petterd we all know the talent, and Spencer because with Jamar, Martin and hopefully a fit Gawn up and about as of next year. He may see greater opportunities somewhere else.

Some trades I wouldn't mind seeing would maybe be Petterd & Pick 4 to Gold Coast for Caddy and their 2nd round pick.

Spencer to St. Kilda for their 2nd round pick.

Then 2nd round pick from St, Kilda and our 3rd round pick to West Coast for Kobe Stevens.

Not out of the realms of possability I wouldn't have thought?

Trade Olisik for Mikey and Michael Newton Magic.

Everyone wins (i think)

Good call.

so tapscott who has only been with us three years interupted by injury you would trade!? yet tapscott is basically the only demon with mitch clark who goes out there puts there head over the footy and shows a bit of cnut! something we lack big time! knows how to use the footy and can take a mark and has only played 25 games? that is by the worst suggestion thats ever been mentioned on this site.

• Like 2

so tapscott who has only been with us three years interupted by injury you would trade!? yet tapscott is basically the only demon with mitch clark who goes out there puts there head over the footy and shows a bit of cnut! something we lack big time! knows how to use the footy and can take a mark and has only played 25 games? that is by the worst suggestion thats ever been mentioned on this site.

Im not disagreeing with you about Tapscotts abilities there mate, he is a top player which is why another club would give up something also of value in return. Everyone has their favorites and you can always do a write up of good things about them but at the end of the day we may end up needing to trade off or delist some peoples favorite player for the bigger picture.

Im not saying that we SHOULD trade him. I am saying that i think it would be a reasonable trade which could benefit both parties involved.

End of the day we are 16th so some changes to the list will be made whether any of us demonlanders like it or not.

Edited by olisik

Embarrassingly so.

No, I meant that from a gold coast point of view who rate him very highly, I should have been clearer, I would not trade Jones for him. Prob not even tapscott who I like even tho skill wise Caddy would be better.

It is widely agreed that you need to give something good to get something good. We may have to face giving up a well-liked player in order to receive a pick or player of value. Offering our trash, particularly 2 or 3 players of low value will not buy a star, as some seem to believe. Lets be realistic.

No its fact. However some posters continually put up silly and unrealistic trades that are an inbalanced win for MFC and an embarrassing give away for the Club we trade with.

And lumping 2 or 3 fringe players into a showbag of mediocrity is not going to interest anyone.

We are looking likely to cull the list hard. Other clubs may rake over the cast offs for a hidden gem. But they certainly wont trade for tripe.

Put our duds on the table. Most likely nobody bites. We delist them. That is most likely what is going to happen. It is the usual scenario where everyone talks about trade week for months and all the permutations, but then not a hell of a lot happens.

Don't think Neeld is going to be too interested in trading guys who have already been in the system a few years and have shown a bit such as Tapscott and Blease for a pick in the lottery that leads to another skinny 18 year old that he has to wait years for, especially when we already hold a very strong hand pick wise in the draft.

MFC would look amateurish to behave like that at the trade table. And you are right trade week is overblown and not that many deals are done especially for 3rd world talent.

Where he can, Neeld and co will trade for players he wants and will trade out players he does not. Otherwise he will delist and go for draft picks.

I have a feeling Bate might get another contract extension now for some reason.

Neeld seems to see something in him.

I would hope not. Its testimony to MFC underwhelming performances over many years that Bate has in excess of 100 AFL games of football. A fringe player at best.

Here is a bit of insight into how they are thinking about the off season

http://www.melbourne...x?newsid=141803

For those who are feeling like analyzing it a bit.

No big revelations there. Anything that Neeld said was pretty obvious and run of the mill. I would not expect MFC or any club to reveal any key strategies leading up to year end.

...tapscott is basically the only demon with mitch clark who goes out there puts there head over the footy and shows a bit of cnut! something we lack big time!

Nate Jones puts his head over the ball more than Tappy and Clark, much more.

Before last weekend I reckon we had 3 players who were legit trade bait. After Bennell's injury I reckon that's now down to 2 being Petterd & Spencer. Petterd we all know the talent, and Spencer because with Jamar, Martin and hopefully a fit Gawn up and about as of next year. He may see greater opportunities somewhere else.

Some trades I wouldn't mind seeing would maybe be Petterd & Pick 4 to Gold Coast for Caddy and their 2nd round pick.

Spencer to St. Kilda for their 2nd round pick.

Then 2nd round pick from St, Kilda and our 3rd round pick to West Coast for Kobe Stevens.

Not out of the realms of possability I wouldn't have thought?

Won't happen. If Mumford was worth a late 2nd round pick when Geelong traded him to Sydney, there is no way known that Spencer is worth a mid 2nd round pick. Stef Martin would also fit in to this category.

Blind Freddy could see Mumford was headed for elite ruck status, Stef could be a very good player and Pencil, who the fcuk knows where he is headed?!

We should've let Bate go last year for the Bulldog's 2nd round pick (as was offered). He is not worth a 2nd round pick, so we would've been the winner from the deal. This year his value has decreased further.

Petterd to the Gold Coast is a deal that would work. The GC would be more than willing to pay slight overs for an established player, and considering they have to get rid of a number of players this year, we could end up with a pick upgrade and a kid that hasn't been given much of a go. Perhaps we could offer Petterd and our 3rd round pick for their 2nd round pick.

I like the idea of us being active during the trade period, especially if it sees us landing players of the Mitch Clark calibre. I'd like to think that Neeld won't be trading in players that will play mostly at Casey.

What I love about trade threads is how people think the opposition clubs are idiots, that or they live in imagination land.

GCS would not give us Caddy for tappscot. to get Caddy we would need to give pick 4 or Jones. And even Jones may not get the deal done.

Not sure about that one. He's out of contract as I understand , I believe he's indicated he wants to come home to Victoria and therefore could go into the preseason draft could he not? If that's the case and we happened to be the first Victorian club with a pick wouldn't we be in a reasonable position to secure him? Have I missed something?

Won't happen. If Mumford was worth a late 2nd round pick when Geelong traded him to Sydney, there is no way known that Spencer is worth a mid 2nd round pick. Stef Martin would also fit in to this category.

Blind Freddy could see Mumford was headed for elite ruck status, Stef could be a very good player and Pencil, who the fcuk knows where he is headed?!

We should've let Bate go last year for the Bulldog's 2nd round pick (as was offered). He is not worth a 2nd round pick, so we would've been the winner from the deal. This year his value has decreased further.

Petterd to the Gold Coast is a deal that would work. The GC would be more than willing to pay slight overs for an established player, and considering they have to get rid of a number of players this year, we could end up with a pick upgrade and a kid that hasn't been given much of a go. Perhaps we could offer Petterd and our 3rd round pick for their 2nd round pick.

I like the idea of us being active during the trade period, especially if it sees us landing players of the Mitch Clark calibre. I'd like to think that Neeld won't be trading in players that will play mostly at Casey.

I see your point re: Spencer, yet at the same time clubs do often pay overs for ruckmen, Look at Pick 14 or whatever it was Sydney gave for Jolly before he'd really proved himself. I'd take slight issue with the comment that Mumford had shown he was going to be elite while at Geelong.... He'd shown he had ability, but not sure about elite? Not until he got to Sydney anyway.

Point I'm trying to make I guess is that Spencer ticks a lot of boxes for a team like St. Kilda. He's had 4 years in the AFL system, has shown he has some ability but wont demand big coin and St. Kilda don;t really have any to offer. Yet they need another ruckamn on their list in case McEvoy goes down and Spencer might see a lot less competition for the No 2 ruck role at St. Kilda compared to Melbourne where there's Gawn, Martin, Fitzpatrick etc.

Could be a match made in heaven and one where Saints might be willing to give up a pick in the mid 30's?

I see your point re: Spencer, yet at the same time clubs do often pay overs for ruckmen, Look at Pick 14 or whatever it was Sydney gave for Jolly before he'd really proved himself. I'd take slight issue with the comment that Mumford had shown he was going to be elite while at Geelong.... He'd shown he had ability, but not sure about elite? Not until he got to Sydney anyway.

Point I'm trying to make I guess is that Spencer ticks a lot of boxes for a team like St. Kilda. He's had 4 years in the AFL system, has shown he has some ability but wont demand big coin and St. Kilda don;t really have any to offer. Yet they need another ruckamn on their list in case McEvoy goes down and Spencer might see a lot less competition for the No 2 ruck role at St. Kilda compared to Melbourne where there's Gawn, Martin, Fitzpatrick etc.

Could be a match made in heaven and one where Saints might be willing to give up a pick in the mid 30's?

This sounds like a good scenario actually.

Only thing I would change is that I would prefer a pick upgrade rather then an additional pick. Quality over quantity.

Would also mean 1 less person to delist.

This sounds like a good scenario actually.

Only thing I would change is that I would prefer a pick upgrade rather then an additional pick. Quality over quantity.

Would also mean 1 less person to delist.

Yes, but it depends on who and how many Neeld wants to turn over. May not be the issue if he wants to clear a large number, as Harrington has indicated. But you are on the money with wanting to upgrade picks.

Point I'm trying to make I guess is that Spencer ticks a lot of boxes for a team like St. Kilda. He's had 4 years in the AFL system, has shown he has some ability

Beg to differ. Hasn't shown diddly squat yet. Hopefully we're about to see - in Jamar's absence - whether or not he can truly cut the mustard at AFL level.

At this stage he is The Riddler ... question marks all over him.

• Like 1

Carlton got Pick 33 and 67 for Sam Jacobs. Jacobs had shown a lot more in his 17 games than Spencer has to date. Adelaide needed a ruckman too. Again, like Mumford, you could tell that Jacobs was going to make it as a regular AFL ruckman, youcan't do that with Spencer. Nb. I rated Mumford very highly when he was at Geelong. Mark Blake had photos of Bomber, a midget and a goat; Mumford was bursting with star qualities but was never going to get a look in.

While I accept your reasons for a trade with a club such as St Kilda, you are over-pricing Spencer. By all means try and get that deal (pick in the 30's) done though - you have my full support!

Juice had 14 years in the system, didn't mean he was any good. Well, maybe 8 years, my point is that just because you are a tall, and that you've been in the system for a period of time, doesn't mean you're going to be any good.

You have also proved your point about Spencer's worth. If he has been in the system for as long as he has, and has Gawn and Fitzpatrick already past him, why would any other club want him?

Jolly was always going to be a top ruckman also. Again, I can't see that Spencer will be.

Beg to differ. Hasn't shown diddly squat yet. Hopefully we're about to see - in Jamar's absence - whether or not he can truly cut the mustard at AFL level.

Interesting to note that he had a cracker of a game in the VFL on the weekend and really dominated (from what I've read).

Maybe a couple of senior appearances has instilled a bit of belief and the big fella has turned a corner..

We'll wait and see.

Agreed. If Jamar is out for a month plus you'd think that Spencer has his first genuine run of weeks in the senior team coming up. I say we play Spencer through the end of the year now and really see what he's got at AFL level. What have we got to lose?

• Like 1

Embarrassingly so.

FFS Jose, you don't own the exclusive rights to opinion you know

Carlton got Pick 33 and 67 for Sam Jacobs. Jacobs had shown a lot more in his 17 games than Spencer has to date. Adelaide needed a ruckman too. Again, like Mumford, you could tell that Jacobs was going to make it as a regular AFL ruckman, youcan't do that with Spencer. Nb. I rated Mumford very highly when he was at Geelong. Mark Blake had photos of Bomber, a midget and a goat; Mumford was bursting with star qualities but was never going to get a look in.

While I accept your reasons for a trade with a club such as St Kilda, you are over-pricing Spencer. By all means try and get that deal (pick in the 30's) done though - you have my full support!

Juice had 14 years in the system, didn't mean he was any good. Well, maybe 8 years, my point is that just because you are a tall, and that you've been in the system for a period of time, doesn't mean you're going to be any good.

You have also proved your point about Spencer's worth. If he has been in the system for as long as he has, and has Gawn and Fitzpatrick already past him, why would any other club want him?

Jolly was always going to be a top ruckman also. Again, I can't see that Spencer will be.

I'll give you that about Jacobs, certainly agree that he'd shown more then what Spencer has to date.

I guess as it's been said there's certainly question marks over how good he will or could be?

I guess it will come down to how much interest there is in him. If there's a bit of interest in him then hopefully that'd jack the asking price up. Might be a case where a later pick needs to be thrown in to make it a pick upgrade instead?

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Tall Defence

Spencer in just 22 years old and has played 11 games.....has improved a great deal.....He just need a chance which will be given in the last 7 weeks.......I keep going on about ruckmen who have become great players once they have reach age and maturity....they all look like ugly ducklings when starting out.....The ruckmen that everyone raves about now, started just the way Spence is starting.....Good big men are hard to find and we must give him time to mature.....

Guest José Mourinho

Fair to say that although Collingwood was able to get a flag with Jolly, he wasn't the sole reason, and most would be bloody happy with Lewis Jetta instead!