Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

This is my take!

We are the poorest performing Victorian club!

We have gone backwards dramatically from last season!

We have not had a successful coach in 50 years!

We have recruited very badly for years!

We cannot seem to recruit superstars...!!!

We always have long injury lists and dont have depth!!

This list is very poor given that previous half decent lists had less coaches, shyte facilties and so on!!!

As a club - we are irrelevant in AFL circles. Our list is simply bad. AND THE CLUB DRAINS IT SUPPORTERS OF ANY ENERGY LEFT TO SUPPORT YEAR IN YEAR OUT. IN A NUTSHELL - ABSOLUTE GUTSFULL OF LOSING!!

Talk about "glass half empty

All very Rumsfeld-esque really!

How very hypocritical of you to accuse RB of not answering the question, yet you have actively avoided answering the question. I'll quote it for you, in case you missed it:

What do you think fitness is? (He says, with popcorn in hand)

Fire away.

Edited by Axis of Bob

I have two things, closely related, to say about that game.

1. Sam Blease was hit square on the top of the head while bending to pick up the ball and not only did the umpire not blow his whistle (despite a number of soft high contact frees to Fremantle), but the commentary team on 7 didn't even mention it in passing. Shocking.

2. The umpiring today was truly a disgrace. Not just the questionable calls they made, but the many blatant frees they failed to pay as well. Obviously the Blease non-call noted above stood out for me, but there were many others, such as the one-handed toss to a teammate on the boundary in full view of the ump, which are worthy of note. I think the single biggest improvement the AFl could make to the game is to introduce a proper professional body to govern umpiring, including penalties for poor or clearly one-sided performances.

• Like 4

I saw a team of players that is growing in confidence. We didnt miss Beamer at all today, maybe we missed Watts. But we missed Jamar more because it forces us to move Martin into the ruck and before that he was looking likely up forward (which was good to see because he has been no where his best this season.

Bail made some errors but just kep trying and got rewarded. Couch looks alright to me. Trengove better but still not right. Blease I like.

• Like 2

1. Sam Blease was hit square on the top of the head while bending to pick up the ball and not only did the umpire not blow his whistle (despite a number of soft high contact frees to Fremantle), but the commentary team on 7 didn't even mention it in passing. Shocking.

2. The umpiring today was truly a disgrace. Not just the questionable calls they made, but the many blatant frees they failed to pay as well. Obviously the Blease non-call noted above stood out for me, but there were many others, such as the one-handed toss to a teammate on the boundary in full view of the ump, which are worthy of note. I think the single biggest improvement the AFl could make to the game is to introduce a proper professional body to govern umpiring, including penalties for poor or clearly one-sided performances.

Good post.

I've noticed that the umpiring has been quite poor over the last 3 or 4 weeks and I'd like the club to approach the AFL to get some clarification.

Last week, players from both teams looked really bemused by decisions, hand signals and interpretations.

Today's performance gives me some hope. We were undermanned, suffered injuries and played a reasonable side with a superstar forward. I thought we actually looked like an AFL side today. Sure the skill errors were still there but our tackling and desire for a contest were great.

• Like 4

Good call. My own favourite was in the last quarter when 50 was paid for interference after a mark, but the umpire hadn't paid a mark!! I feared for my health at that point.

I think the umpiring this year has been terrible and not just at Melbourne games. The AFL need to do something, the umpiring is a total farce.

• Like 3

And we supposedly recruited Strauss for his 'Elite" kicking skills, well when I switched on for the last quarter I saw him turn the ball over three times in ten minutes of footy! Hardly "Elite" and don't give me "But this was his first game"... stuff Nup Strauss like many of our players cannot hit targets. Just don't know why the hype over his supposedly excellent disposal based on what I saw today!

Sums it up really "when I switched on for the last quarter" are you for reäl fatigue equals skill errors, Strauss's kicking was very good before we started to tire

Can I sum up what you are basically saying ïn comparison " I sat through the last day of a three week trial and can't believe he was found not guilty

• Like 3

Great comeback match from McDonald.

For a young guy to have a punctured lung (or what ever was wrong with his lung) and play so well on his return match was a highlight for me. Showed considerable poise and maturity for a teenager.

Thank god we re-signed him!

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

I think I saw the making of a star today - No 38 Michael Walters for Freo.

Pacy, magnificent left footer....reminded me of a young Aaron Davey.

It shows that we're desperately in need of a crumber. Hopefully, in time, Blease will fill that role.

Ross Lyon gave him a rocket early in the season to get him to get his attitude, right still not sure on him, I have seen him play a number of times for Swan Districts in the WAFLthis year and on occassion he has been red hot but when things aren't going for him he spits the dummy. Not sure he will make it but was very good today

Team is totally unfit, can not run out a game, those that are not unfit are injured.

The high performance team is anything but that.

Misson and Craig were meant to resolve fitness and injury issues, money not well spent thus far.

FCS, one preseason cannt make up for years of neglect. If they tire as easily this time next season yes maybe question Missen, but not now.

Bannister is a joke of an umpire, no idea how he got a gig.

• Like 1

Sums it up really "when I switched on for the last quarter" are you for reäl fatigue equals skill errors, Strauss's kicking was very good before we started to tire

Can I sum up what you are basically saying ïn comparison " I sat through the last day of a three week trial and can't believe he was found not guilty

Fair enough I'll take the "Lactic Acid" Rationale in a nutshell! I'll be an interested observer for the rest of the year!

Ta very Much

"The Fence"

Ross Lyon gave him a rocket early in the season to get him to get his attitude, right still not sure on him, I have seen him play a number of times for Swan Districts in the WAFLthis year and on occassion he has been red hot but when things aren't going for him he spits the dummy. Not sure he will make it but was very good today

Any other flashy forward pockets out west way, PSD?

Couple of things from today;

Jones got man-handled big time at stoppages today. With Beamer out they sent their tagging-type to Jonesy and it slowed him down a bit. A few of the boys helped out with some bumps to free him up and I think he handled all the attention quite well.

Bate needs to be in inside mid to survive this game surely. He has NO athleticism at all. I'm not being harsh or nasty because I think he is clearly one of the hardest workers on or list but I just don't think he has ANY fast-twitch fibres at all. He has minimal pace and even less vertical propulsion. I had to face palm myself today when he went 3rd man up at one of the stoppages. So where do we play him? Can't mark overhead moving up the ground from the HFF, too much of a plodder to crumb at FP, too slow to be an outside mid, would struggle to spoil anyone taller than 5'10" as a backman and I scoff at the thought of him on an opposition crumber. Inside mid is all there is left and I'm not so sure he has quick enough reactions to do that either.

You can never really test any soft tissue injury below your groin accurately. Game situations are almost impossible to replicate in order to prove fitness. I've had calf issues and you think they're gone but they're not. You can train and run and jump and grapple but as soon as you're put into an open situation like in a game it only takes a slight change of direction when you react to a bump/chase/tackle and it pops again. This could likely niggle or trouble Jamar for the remainder of the season.

Martin is much better in the ruck as our main man. I heard someone on the radio talking about how it's hard for 2nd rucks to get a feel for the game when they are pinch hitting as a back up. It made sense. You jump in and take a few contests to get a feel for the opposition ruck and where the mids are moving etc and then you might get a tap or two to advantage and then BANG, you're out again. 10-20 minutes later.............etc. I think this is certainly the case with Martin. He'd be more valuable as a ruckman that goes forward than a back up that starts forward.

Frawley did it tough today. Pavlich ran him everywhere and matched him with height and strength. I was more and more interested as the game went on how McDonald would have went on Pav just because he's that bit taller and has such a huge fitness base but it obviously never eventuated.

Etihad is a novelty with the roof closed and my little ones appreciated the fact they could see over the fence from their seat down the front but it's such an artificial atmosphere. I also noticed how much the place echos. Although that could have been because there was so many empty seats I guess.

Edited by mrtwister
  • Like 1

Martin is much better in the ruck as our main man. I heard someone on the radio talking about how it's hard for 2nd rucks to get a feel for the game when they are pinch hitting as a back up. It made sense. You jump in and take a few contests to get a feel for the opposition ruck and where the mids are moving etc and then you might get a tap or two to advantage and then BANG, you're out again. 10-20 minutes later.............etc. I think this is certainly the case with Martin. He'd be more valuable as a ruckman that goes forward than a back up that starts forward.

Yeah, I think you are right on that one. Martin seems to really enjoy having the first ruck roll to himself. He seems to need consistency and continuity in one position. Looks more settled covering the ground as a whole and not being kept solely up forward, in the back line or on the pine.

Edited by Moonshadow

They have ruined the holding the ball rule. It is now ok to drop the ball when you are tackled, conversely dive on the footy to get it and have 3 blokes jump on you at the same time and you get pinged. Stupid stupid interpretation.

Aside from useless interpretation, umpires still useless

• Like 2

Would just like to say welcome back Greeny and Tommy McD and Jimmy Strauss. Good to see you getting into it in a big way.

Ricky P - welcome back and would love to see you get back to top form as well.

And welcome Tommy Couch - good first game.

Edited by bjDee
  • Like 1

He looks terrific and a left footer as well...will he nominate for the draft?

He has the last few years so dont see why not, has a bit of mongrel about him and whilst I hate the Tigers (Claremont) he is one of the reasons they are so hard to beat

• Like 1

Jones got man-handled big time at stoppages today. With Beamer out they sent their tagging-type to Jonesy and it slowed him down a bit. A few of the boys helped out with some bumps to free him up and I think he handled all the attention quite well.

Bate needs to be in inside mid to survive this game surely. He has NO athleticism at all. I'm not being harsh or nasty because I think he is clearly one of the hardest workers on or list but I just don't think he has ANY fast-twitch fibres at all. He has minimal pace and even less vertical propulsion. I had to face palm myself today when he went 3rd man up at one of the stoppages. So where do we play him? Can't mark overhead moving up the ground from the HFF, too much of a plodder to crumb at FP, too slow to be an outside mid, would struggle to spoil anyone taller than 5'10" as a backman and I scoff at the thought of him on an opposition crumber. Inside mid is all there is left and I'm not so sure he has quick enough reactions to do that either.

You can never really test any soft tissue injury below your groin accurately. Game situations are almost impossible to replicate in order to prove fitness. I've had calf issues and you think they're gone but they're not. You can train and run and jump and grapple but as soon as you're put into an open situation like in a game it only takes a slight change of direction when you react to a bump/chase/tackle and it pops again. This could likely niggle or trouble Jamar for the remainder of the season.

Frawley did it tough today. Pavlich ran him everywhere and matched him with height and strength. I was more and more interested as the game went on how McDonald would have went on Pav just because he's that bit taller and has such a huge fitness base but it obviously never eventuated.

Etihad is a novelty with the roof closed and my little ones appreciated the fact they could see over the fence from their seat down the front but it's such an artificial atmosphere. I also noticed how much the place echos. Although that could have been because there was so many empty seats I guess.

I thought Bate was ok. Actually he has been ok for a couple of weeks.