Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Gut feel ... Moloney gone.

DeeZee

i would have thought that both Rivers and Green have shown they are not one dimentional players

Green has played just about every position on the field in his career at melbourne apart from the ruck and full back, and as we have seen this season Rivers is holding his own down forward

Rivers kicked 4 against GWS and that's just about it as far as forward highlights go (unless you are including some shocking set shots)

Garland has been more of success in the forward line this year.

Time for Riv to go back again.

And this year Green has been NO dimentional at AFL level. But, of course, he stars at VFL level.

• Like 1

As stated, Moloney's greatest strength, his clearance work, has been curtailed this year. A year or two ago Jamar and Moloney were the competitions best ruck/midfielder combination at stoppages. Moloney needs quality outside mids to complement his assets. He's been as effected by the lack of quality runners beside him as he has by the quickening of the ball ups (average 11 seconds last year and 4 seconds this year). There's no doubt in my mind Moloney would be a better player in a better side. Presently he's not dominating at stoppages, due to the aforementioned reasons, and he can't cover the ground. But I also wouldn't write him off. I remember Cameron Ling was completely written off due to his lack of pace about 4 years before he retired. He reinvented himself and went on to captain a premiership side.

Whatever happens I respect his achievements. He was overlooked in his ND and gone on to win a B&F, which is nothing to sneeze at. And I won't begrudge him if he leaves.

Edited by Ben-Hur

The fact is that we've been shocking since Morton went out of the team. Perhaps that's a coincidence, but the run and (believe it or not) good footskills he provides has been sorely lacking this past few weeks. .

Well, now I've heard it all.

Morton has good foot skills and run? And we are somehow vastly better than shocking with him in the team?

Let's get that gazelle-like champion back in the seniors!

We need his laser left foot passes to the opposition so that we can turn over more goals!

Moloney has always had 'quiet' games where he is completely taken out of the game. It is because smart coaches realise that he can only play on his right side; right foot kick - usually bombed up in the air into the forward line indiscriminately, right hand pass and he only has vision to the right hand side of the ground. Because of his bullish style, his junior coached probably never coached him out of it. Now, it seems that most teams overplay his right side and he can't get the ball and when he does get the ball, his opponents don't let him do anything with it! This is not something that can be easily changed or taught at his age.

• Like 1

This guy has been a great player for us over the years but my gut tells me the game has just passed this guy very quickly.

The game is growing so quickly that if you dont work your bum off it will simply pass you by.

The only other reason would be that he is on his way to bomberland

Thanks for all the great times Brent but im in the see ya camp.

You have 8 weeks to work your bum off and prove me wrong.

I really do hope i am wrong.

Just cant see it happening.

The fact is that we've been shocking since Morton went out of the team. Perhaps that's a coincidence, but the run and (believe it or not) good footskills he provides has been sorely lacking this past few weeks. Clearly the fact that Moloney's remained in the side for three months and Morton's been in and out suggests that the Football Department views Moloney and Morton more like you than like me, so from that perspective, it seems likely that my opinions on the pair are wrong. But that's just going on the idea that people inside the club know more than people outside the club (and make better decisions because of it).

I'm willing to accept the fact that I may be wrong about Moloney and Morton, but I don't really see any evidence for that in the way they're playing. My only basis for saying I'm wrong is the fact that more educated people than me evidently hold Moloney in higher stead (up until this week at least).

I still reckon the 90% estimate is pretty accurate. 9 out of 10 comments on a player are based on some sort of evidence or observation. Mindless bashing of players does occur, but since it's far more noticeable than reasoned opinion, you tend to notice it more.

While I don't agree with you about us being worse due to Morton being out (do you think maybe it's because we've been without Clark, Jamar, and Jones?), I hear what you're saying, and I'm not a Morton basher (I'm a reformed one!), I just think he and Moloney are pretty much exact opposites...

One works his arse off to make the most of his limited talent, while the other has enough talent to be taken at No.4 in a pretty decent draft but just doesn't seem to be able to make it click for whatever reason.

And I don't think Moloney should have lasted this long when out form (might have even found some form had he been dropped earlier), but it's just the predicament we find ourselves in due to the age of our list, form, and injuries. I hope he can find touch in the VFL this week, and maybe if Jamar can actually get back to tapping it to someone it would help too.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

Last year the umpires averaged 11 seconds to restart play after a "ball up" and this year they're averaging 4 seconds in an attempt to quicken play. The club believes that this is impinging on Moloney's clearance ability and opportunities to get set for the next stanza of play.

Once the ball is taken away from a stoppage Moloney becomes a liability due to his lack of run and spread; and if his greatest attribute has been blunted it reduces his effectiveness. It's the reason he was taken away from the centre square and given a new role.

Thank goodness at least someone is talking sense!!

Would also point out that Maloney's strength is his stoppage work and the average number of stoppages in a game has gone from 115 down to 90, which is also impacting on his game. I have no idea if he'll still be there next year, but I would like to think we have learned our lessons from throwing out our older players as soon as they show a bit of weakness.

• Like 1

Good. We can recruit a better player.

Yes and spend 4 to 5 years to develop him into a maybe a "good player" I didn't hear a lot of posters bagging him last year when he won the B&F. The bagging of our players on this site sickens me....If you are such great consistant players in whatever sport or livelyhood you partake in I would like to know. Every player who pulls on the jumper gives his best....sometimes it is not good enough....but it is his best.....no one goes out there to lose or play a bad game.....If you can do better,sitting in the stand,having your pie and beer....Do it.....

End Rant

Not bashing Beamer at all...luv the guy, as he supported the Dees as a kid. Just seems awfully quiet this season, and have a feeling he may leave. Nothing derogatory.

I agree with you here,even though the club has had poor form..... Moloneys year has been really poor.

Axe Flash & Greeny while we are at it because lets face it...the future has arrived for us with Magners,Howes,Clarks ect ect...

The guys nearing the end of their careers are being found out quickly and Neeld will move them on quickly IMO.

Why....because we can...because we have the financial gout to grab replacements via free agency most likely.

Beamer might want to stay....but he shouldnt have let his manager mouth off as it also might have annoyed a few via the inner sanctum at MFC....

I hope you come back stronger for us next year Beamer but I am worried you are gone also...

Lets face it...atm and the last two years Davey,Green especially have been pretty poor performance wise.

The game will not wait for injurys or poor form anymore and either will the club in its quest for a flag unless you happen to be un your prime career wise or you have youth on your side.

I reckon we will see a ruthless trade or two come tradetime.

...... but I would like to think we have learned our lessons from throwing out our older players as soon as they show a bit of weakness.

Learned our lessons ? With the exception of James McDonald, can you name who you speak of in terms of older players.

• Like 1

So glad you take me seriously...it's time for Beamer to move on...he won't get any better.

Just like Junior??????....One bad year does not a career make

No relation, hung out a few times, but wouldn't classify him as a 'mate'.

I'm not sticking up for his lack of form this year, nor did I think he's one of the greats, but one thing we have lacked the last 5 years is his type: ballsy, aggressive, and passionate, and those are the things I love about footy and desperately want our club to be about.

That's probably why I stick up for him a bit, not because of his playing stocks, but because of what he stands for and how much I want more of that around the club. It's also why I already love Clark and Magner, am wrapped to have Tappy, and Jones is probably my favourite player, a bit of spirit.

I hope Beamer stays, we need senior bodies around and his leadership on the training track is valuable to us, so have a think about this whole "will he be around for a premiership" garbage because if that's our criteria why do we have anyone on our list over 25?

Fair enough Stuie, but he has not been ballsy or aggressive all season...not just one or two games....the attributes you quote we are crying out for and Beamer has not delivered.

We need to recruit better players than Beamer-we are 2-13 after 5 years post ND.

Brent Moloney is part of that sadly...he has had ample time to improve.

We cannot carry players forever.

Fair enough Stuie, but he has not been ballsy or aggressive all season...not just one or two games....the attributes you quote we are crying out for and Beamer has not delivered.

We need to recruit better players than Beamer-we are 2-13 after 5 years post ND.

Under this criterior 25 of our players must go this year....Boy I hope our recruiting has improved...

Just like Junior??????....One bad year does not a career make

Junior Mac was a far better footballer than Brent Moloney

Do you want Premiership 13 or are you happy that the MFC just exists??

We have to recruit better players than what we have got...Hell we can't even beat anyone at etihad stadium right now!!

We've carried him this year through a massive structural change, a change in role to his own game, and a form slump, he won the BnF last year and did really well in Brownlow votes, hardly call that "carrying him forever"....

He hasn't delivered this year, but I'd back him in to turn it around, he's a bit old school and I think he has the mental toughness to get over it.

so do i, otherwise the club is dead.

Just ask GWS and GC how they are going with a team full of youngsters.....

Yep, read that. Kaider's mobile phone clearly didn't see much action after the initial public offering.

FFS, can't win either way can he...

Some people just wanna slag off players no matter what. Ridiculous post RR.

Yes and spend 4 to 5 years to develop him into a maybe a "good player" I didn't hear a lot of posters bagging him last year when he won the B&F. The bagging of our players on this site sickens me....If you are such great consistant players in whatever sport or livelyhood you partake in I would like to know. Every player who pulls on the jumper gives his best....sometimes it is not good enough....but it is his best.....no one goes out there to lose or play a bad game.....If you can do better,sitting in the stand,having your pie and beer....Do it.....

End Rant

I am not bagging him...But he is not that good...it is time to go.

Footy is a brutal game...our list is a mess..Highlighted above is exactly the problem...Moloney's best is not good enough to beat good sides.

FFS, can't win either way can he...

Some people just wanna slag off players no matter what. Ridiculous post RR.

I'm a cynical person when it comes to the noises football players and their manager's make. It would be hard to argue this cynicism isn't justified.

And I'm a bit over people making excuses for highly paid footballers who don't produce on game day for the Melbourne Footy Club.

We must demand better than this.

• Like 3

I am not bagging him...But he is not that good...it is time to go.

Footy is a brutal game...our list is a mess..Highlighted above is exactly the problem...Moloney's best is not good enough to beat good sides.

Mate I'm not going to argue with you any more.....Lucky for Ess that Jobe Watson....you remember him...couldn't run....couldn't kick....should have been traded,delisted......A list clogger.......And you ARE bagging Moloney.....