Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Gut feel ... Moloney gone.

DeeZee

Sorry dees not deed.

Maybe you could give us your highly valued thoughts on where the team is going wrong and, back on topic, whether or not Brent Moloney will be with us next year?

Shallow sweeping statements do not equate passion.

• Like 2

I think Moloney is more one-dimensional than most of the players on our list.

If you mean he plays like a bit of a bull then I'd agree . He almost fits the 'Grunt' bit that Neeld talks about except he's been out of form for most of the year . He got lots of mates though . Without pointing the finger at any one player it's probably better to be one-dimensional than 'non-dimensional' !

I think that's the issue here , people want him to be something that he isn't or can't be . It's like the draft pick number syndrome . Brent is not an 'A' grader . He is what he is .

If you classed an 'A' grader as someone who plays very well against any sort of opposition , consistently , then we don't have one (yet) . There's all sorts of levels of players but there have been plenty who play very well against lesser opposition and not so well against quality opposition . And ...there's been more than a few who seem to play well in the 'Big' games and go missing against lesser opposition . It takes all types .

If you mean he plays like a bit of a bull then I'd agree . He almost fits the 'Grunt' bit that Neeld talks about except he's been out of form for most of the year . He got lots of mates though . Without pointing the finger at any one player it's probably better to be one-dimensional than 'non-dimensional' !

I think that's the issue here , people want him to be something that he isn't or can't be . It's like the draft pick number syndrome . Brent is not an 'A' grader . He is what he is .

If you classed an 'A' grader as someone who plays very well against any sort of opposition , consistently , then we don't have one (yet) . There's all sorts of levels of players but there have been plenty who play very well against lesser opposition and not so well against quality opposition . And ...there's been more than a few who seem to play well in the 'Big' games and go missing against lesser opposition . It takes all types .

Decision making & use of the ball.

More than Jamar? Rivers? Green?

Rivers forward with some effect, Jamar the same. Green has played the whole ground throughout his career.

Moloney's been a mid all of his time in the game. He had a bit of it there a few weeks ago when on the HFF and was pretty pleased with himself. Maybe he does have more dimensions but in comparison to the rest of the list and in my opinion, I think he would come up short.

• Like 1

Moloney was B&F in 2011, then as he has had a down period, the answer is "Delisted". Get a grip. Moloney is hard at the footy, physically mature (which is much more than others), and has the skills and smarts to be a key midfielder going forward. Kicks the ball 50+.

Wake up.

Davey, Green, Bennell, Bate, Spencer, Petterd, Jetta & a few others would have to go first.

• Like 6

Decision making & use of the ball.

Well , he's not a bad kick and when he gets it he usually launches it into our forward 50 . What's wrong with that ? I'd take that any day if we had good key forwards . Clark is currently 'It' and he's injured .

If you want him to play like Judd or Ablett then you need to lower your expectations a tad . Last years match committee rated him enough to reward him with the B&F . The umps liked him too - 19 votes in a below average team isn't too shabby .

Seems he's not too popular with a few of his own fans though . Which is a shame . The only explanation I can think of is Brent went on a rampage and killed a whole bunch of people's cats :)

The only explanation I can think of is Brent went on a rampage and killed a whole bunch of people's cats :)

lmao

Beamer will be okay he just needs to refocus a bit. A run in Casey might get his hunger back, it help also that Casey are winning because you get bit disillusioned always losing. Give him a few weeks and hopefully a couple of wins and he will get that focus and hunger back.

• Like 1

Don't really care. He is not that good.

Are you Beamers Brother or old school mate Stuie?

What is all your love for the Bloke? He is not that good. We can do better. Scott Thompson was 3 times the player Beamer is.

lol.. your a joke mate seriously..

Well , he's not a bad kick and when he gets it he usually launches it into our forward 50 . What's wrong with that ? I'd take that any day if we had good key forwards . Clark is currently 'It' and he's injured .

If you want him to play like Judd or Ablett then you need to lower your expectations a tad . Last years match committee rated him enough to reward him with the B&F . The umps liked him too - 19 votes in a below average team isn't too shabby .

Seems he's not too popular with a few of his own fans though . Which is a shame . The only explanation I can think of is Brent went on a rampage and killed a whole bunch of people's cats :)

To me he is just one dimensional with his ball use & his decisions. Just kick long...

I don't think when we have Magner & Couch, as I expect them to keep getting games, & add Jonsey as well to the in/unders, I think we'll draft more classy inside types & another classy in/under. Too many to keep one dimensional ones.

We're full on into transitioning this list as quick as we can, IMO... can't you see it? Rivers and Garland forward tells us who we can play there when we need to make decisions for later when another defender comes in, & also who can help support Cook, when he comes in, so it's not just Clarke & Cook.

We are establishing future skills as we build this team.

Neeld is developing this list. Points are largely irrelevant.

• Like 1

To me he is just one dimensional with his ball use & his decisions. Just kick long...

I don't think when we have Magner & Couch, as I expect them to keep getting games, & add Jonsey as well to the in/unders, I think we'll draft more classy inside types & another classy in/under. Too many to keep one dimensional ones.

We're full on into transitioning this list as quick as we can, IMO... can't you see it? Rivers and Garland forward tells us who we can play there when we need to make decisions for later when another defender comes in, & also who can help support Cook, when he comes in, so it's not just Clarke & Cook.

We are establishing future skills as we build this team.

Neeld is developing this list. Points are largely irrelevant.

We can all view things differently 'dl' . I'll be interested to see the reaction of some if Moloney is re-signed .

A lot of player's strengths are sometimes viewed as weaknesses . Kicking the ball long has seemed to be a large part of how we've been playing this year so you could argue that Brent fits right in .

'Transitioning the list' as you describe it is something any new coach will do (unless a new coach is a carbon copy of the previous coach). Neeld was always going to put his stamp on things and there's most probably going to be some casualties .

A lot is going to depend on how much of our salary cap we spend on free agents or other 'Out of contract' players . Also reckon we will have a player or 3 who may seek a new home . Fairly big shake up of the list is my bet . But I hope Moloney stays .

Edited by Macca

Are you Beamers Brother or old school mate Stuie?

What is all your love for the Bloke? He is not that good. We can do better. Scott Thompson was 3 times the player Beamer is.

No relation, hung out a few times, but wouldn't classify him as a 'mate'.

I'm not sticking up for his lack of form this year, nor did I think he's one of the greats, but one thing we have lacked the last 5 years is his type: ballsy, aggressive, and passionate, and those are the things I love about footy and desperately want our club to be about.

That's probably why I stick up for him a bit, not because of his playing stocks, but because of what he stands for and how much I want more of that around the club. It's also why I already love Clark and Magner, am wrapped to have Tappy, and Jones is probably my favourite player, a bit of spirit.

I hope Beamer stays, we need senior bodies around and his leadership on the training track is valuable to us, so have a think about this whole "will he be around for a premiership" garbage because if that's our criteria why do we have anyone on our list over 25?

I've been calling for Beamer to be dropped since round 1. Glad to see it's finally happened. And for Stuie, I'd like to ask how you'd classify people like me, who rate Morton and don't rate Moloney.90% of the time, people don't just "bash" players for no reason. There's usually some sense behind it.

I've been calling for Beamer to be dropped since round 1. Glad to see it's finally happened. And for Stuie, I'd like to ask how you'd classify people like me, who rate Morton and don't rate Moloney.90% of the time, people don't just "bash" players for no reason. There's usually some sense behind it.

Since Round 1 hey? Maybe if you talked sense I'd believe you had some...

You really think people here don't bash players for no reason? Come on mate, you've been around here long enough to know better than that.

And as for classifying you, I don't understand what you're getting at? But if you rate someone with unfulfilled potential higher than someone who has got the most out of his abilities (and won a BnF to boot) then you can join the queue for the 2015 Grand Final we're apparently going to automatically be in...

I'm not going to change my mind about sticking up for our passionate, hard working, currently struggling, reigning Bluey winner, and if you guys want to keep starting thread after thread slagging him off while wondering why we're such a disenfranchised club then I'll keep banging my head on the wall.

• Like 1

Your last point - unfortunately these days we very rarely play against lesser opposition, and that is our biggest problem.

A kind of circular argument, though -- we would all I am sure relish the day that we play against "lesser opposition" every week, because that makes us the best!

Since Round 1 hey? Maybe if you talked sense I'd believe you had some...

You really think people here don't bash players for no reason? Come on mate, you've been around here long enough to know better than that.

And as for classifying you, I don't understand what you're getting at? But if you rate someone with unfulfilled potential higher than someone who has got the most out of his abilities (and won a BnF to boot) then you can join the queue for the 2015 Grand Final we're apparently going to automatically be in...

I'm not going to change my mind about sticking up for our passionate, hard working, currently struggling, reigning Bluey winner, and if you guys want to keep starting thread after thread slagging him off while wondering why we're such a disenfranchised club then I'll keep banging my head on the wall.

The fact is that we've been shocking since Morton went out of the team. Perhaps that's a coincidence, but the run and (believe it or not) good footskills he provides has been sorely lacking this past few weeks. Clearly the fact that Moloney's remained in the side for three months and Morton's been in and out suggests that the Football Department views Moloney and Morton more like you than like me, so from that perspective, it seems likely that my opinions on the pair are wrong. But that's just going on the idea that people inside the club know more than people outside the club (and make better decisions because of it).

I'm willing to accept the fact that I may be wrong about Moloney and Morton, but I don't really see any evidence for that in the way they're playing. My only basis for saying I'm wrong is the fact that more educated people than me evidently hold Moloney in higher stead (up until this week at least).

I still reckon the 90% estimate is pretty accurate. 9 out of 10 comments on a player are based on some sort of evidence or observation. Mindless bashing of players does occur, but since it's far more noticeable than reasoned opinion, you tend to notice it more.

Edited by Chook

Glad to see folks coming out to defend Beamer. He's been a very vocal supporter of our footy club during a period when nobody would touch us and for that alone I think he deserves more respect than he often gets.

My biggest problem with him is that opposition clubs have beaten into their players that if he is facing you he will try and take you on. He gets caught with the ball so often by a front on tackle. If he could just feed off more his confidence would grow and he'd get into the game more. Part of the issue is that he's evolved as a player with very little around him to feed too so he took it upon himself to push his way through. Now with our game plan changing, and with the very informative comment about the speed of umpires at stoppages (thanks for that, was really interesting to know) he's being found out a bit. I think he can still be a great servant of the club and I hope he gets shown some respect by supporters who are keen to bag a guy that has given us a lot over the last 5 years.

Whats all this talk of trading him? You guys are aware that we cant trade him as he is a free agent? Any other club can just take him for free if they want....

But he's restricted, so we can always offer to match any offer (we have the money) to stop him from walking for nothing.

Edit: Sorry, I see that comment has previously been made.

Edited by Tall Defence

I love that Beamer is a hard core Demon at heart. Did anyone see him collecting autographs at the 150 year function in 2008? I would also love him to finish his career at Melbourne and spend the rest of his life fondly remembering the Dees and being remembered by the Dees and fans. It would be a pity to see him wind up doing a Bruce and leaving in a huff then tooling around in another team's rezzies, or following Junior (Demon royalty) to the newbies, and thus diluting his legacy. (I don't know what to make of his time at Geelong vis-a-vis his career.)

The thing is, like several Demon players over recent years, he is a bit of a flat track bully. I cannot remember him playing a good game in a big game.

What, precisely, is his value to Melbourne?

Queens Birthday 2010 he had a pretty brilliant game I thought. 38 touches if I'm not mistaken.

More than Jamar? Rivers? Green?

i would have thought that both Rivers and Green have shown they are not one dimentional players

Green has played just about every position on the field in his career at melbourne apart from the ruck and full back, and as we have seen this season Rivers is holding his own down forward

Who knows what Neeld is thinking?.

My guess is that he wants runners in the team, who are able to spread quickly or cover alot of ground.

If you are slow, then you have to have other stand out attributes that benefit the team, like a Mckenzie who is a tackling machine,or a Dane Swan who is a ball magnet and smart user of the ball.

Dont think the team can afford to carry too many slowish types in todays footy.