Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

On the radar (afl.com) - under 18's prospects

jurrahcane

From Jason Phelan from afl.com.au

I have sorted into likely draft pick availability for MFC

pick 3 and 4

Brodie Grundy, Sturt, 15 April 1994, 202cm, 100kg

Grundy was an All-Australian as a bottom-aged player last year and has continued to develop to the point where he is clearly the premier ruck prospect in the draft. He was the dominant ruckman at the champs, earning All Australian honours again, and impressed with his mobility and athleticism. He can go forward and kick a goal and doesn't mind throwing around his big frame in a contest.

Oliver Wines, Bendigo Pioneers, 7 October 1994, 185cm, 83kg

Wines' inside game is perfectly suited to the direction that AFL footy has taken in recent seasons.He averaged 24 possessions over the carnival, the majority of which were usually contested, and also impressed with his willingness to spread away from the contest.

Troy Menzel, Central Districts, 22 September 1994, 186cm, 77kg

Menzel, the brother of Geelong's Daniel, is one of the puzzles of this draft.He followed up a nine-goal bag against Tasmania with another six against the Northern Territory, is strong overhead and gets to the right positions inside attacking 50, but he underwent a LARS knee reconstruction as a 16-year-old. He has talent to burn, but will doubts on the synthetic ligament harm his standing in the draft order? He has absolute confidence in the surgery and should prove too tempting for a team to pass up in the first round.

Jake Stringer, Bendigo Pioneers, 25 April 1994, 191cm, 91kg

Stringer is a forward in a similar mould to Membrey, but he has a few more strings to his bow at this stage. He's very hard to place in terms of his draft ranking as he badly broke his left leg in the first TAC Cup game last year and is still shaking off the effects of that injury. If his work ethic during his rehab is any guide, his draft credentials will only be enhanced in the back half of the Pioneers' season.

Jimmy Toumpas, Woodville-West Torrens, 2 January 1994, 183cm, 77kg

The South Australian skipper is one of the blue-chip prospects of this draft who could have at least been a part of the conversation about the No.1 pick if he'd had a free run at the back half of the season. But, the classy midfielder has managed sore hips for the past 18 months and will go in for season-ending surgery after the champs. He can play in multiple positions and has already made his mark for Woodville-West Torrens at senior level in their run to last year's SANFL flag.

Sam Mayes, North Adelaide, 20 May 1994, 187cm, 78kg

Mayes is probably one to watch when he gets back with SANFL team North Adelaide. He was the All Australian centre half-forward as a bottom-ager last year, but had a quieter carnival this time around. He showed glimpses of what he's capable of at times - he kicked a brilliant goal from the boundary down in Geelong - and has undoubted class, but will be keen for a big finish with the Roosters.

Pick 13

Dayle Garlett, Swan Districts, 9 January 1994, 180cm, 75kg

By his own admission, the quietly spoken midfielder had some work to do with some off-field issues late last year, but all the reports coming out of WA and Swan Districts since then have been positive. His game-changing combination of speed, ability to run and carry and goal sense saw him earn All Australian honours.

Ben Kennedy, Glenelg, 3 March 1994, 174cm, 76kg

Kennedy is a quick, busy onballer who is a thumping kick off his left boot. He averaged 26 possessions across the champs and kicked four goals against Tasmania on his way to a second All Australian selection.

Sam Colquhoun, Central Districts, 20 December 1994, 179cm, 72kg

Colquhoun is a small defender who gets a stack of the ball coming out of the back half. He averaged 28 possessions for SA and provided plenty of rebound for the Croweaters. Not many of his possessions are contested, but his value in launching forward thrusts with great precision saw him named in the All Australian team.

Nick Vlastuin, Northern Knights, 19 April 1994, 187cm, 83kg

The Vic Metro skipper played predominantly off a half-back flank at the championships and impressed with his hard-nosed approach to the contest. He's not the quickest player on the park, but he reads the play well, which allows him to get into the right spots. Distributes the ball well and was named in the All Australian team.

Lachlan Plowman, Calder Cannons, 11 September 1994, 191cm, 86kg

Plowman is the only player in the top 25 not to appear in the national carnival. He suffered a serious elbow injury in the weeks leading up to the championships, but is widely considered one of the premier key position prospects in this draft. He appeared in the best players in four of his five games for the Cannons and is one to watch on his return to the TAC Cup.

pick 24

Taylor Garner, Dandenong Stingrays, 8 Jan 94, 186cm, 77kg

Garner nearly provided this carnival's Hayden Crozier moment at Subiaco, but just failed to hang onto what would have been a special mark against WA. In addition to his strength overhead, Garner can win the contested ball, which saw him named in this year's All Australian team.

Jonathan O'Rourke, Calder Cannons, 21 April 1994, 183cm, 75kg

O'Rourke is a very balanced midfielder, who makes good decisions and is an excellent kick. He ticks a lot of boxes as far as recruiters are concerned and earned All Australian honours for a very consistent championships.

and of course wherever we need to take him

Jack Viney, Oakleigh Chargers, 13 April 1994, 178cm, 80kg

Viney played the last two games of the carnival after recovering from the broken jaw he suffered in his first game in the VFL and showed why he'll be an asset for Melbourne right off the bat. He has a combative streak and the hardness to match, but he has more than brute force in his bag of tricks and should see AFL action early next year

for me ... #3 Toumpas (Whitfield & Grundy 1 & 2), #4 Stringer , #13 Kennedy and #24 Viney (F/s)

Viney will not go at pick 24, we will have to get him pick 3, will be a miracle if we don't.

I do not know why so many posters thing we can "deal" with a club or they wont risk taking him, or he will happily got to GC/GWS and then come to us two years later.

"and of course wherever we need to take him" Jack Viney

so if GWS/Suns bid for Jack, then

#3 Viney - F/son (Whitfield & Grundy 1 & 2), #4 Toumpas , #13 Kennedy and #24 Garner

smokey at # 24... Nathan Wright (Dandenong). Around 40-50 likely but I watched him twice and was super impressed

Viney will not go at pick 24, we will have to get him pick 3, will be a miracle if we don't.

I do not know why so many posters thing we can "deal" with a club or they wont risk taking him, or he will happily got to GC/GWS and then come to us two years later.

Then we'll look very good with Whitfield, Toumpas and Garlett running around in our midfield next year.

• Like 1

Pick 1, 2, 3 or 4.

The franchises will risk one of those to call our hand.

They know it is as near as certain we will take him.

We would do the same to them without a second thought.

We've already signed him to a so-called MOU.

He trains with us and his father (a club favourite) heads our draft scouting.

Let's play all the bluff we can, but lets not whine when he's called at pick 3 (or 4, if GC get a priority pick).

Guest KingDingAling

I think we should tell GWS not to bid, so we can pick Viney with our second rounder.

In turn, we could flick GWS our pick 3 and 12 for Jack Martin.

Or flick our Pick 3 and a player for Martin.

Just a thought, not sure if thats overs for Martin, but realistically we would be getting him for pick 12 and 24,

as they would've bid for Viney anyway at 3.

If they bid, they'll get him, because we wont take Jack at 3, he hasnt done enough and we arent a club

in a position to give special considerations.

Toumpas is a worry for me. With all the injury problems we seem to have with our young talent, particularly blease, gysberts, Fitzpatrick, Strauss and the supossed knee issues with $$ etc is this a risky pick with so much other tallent? I know some of the injuries can't be helped but the last thing we need is another potential young gun sitting out for the next year before starting his development.

Toumpas is a worry for me. With all the injury problems we seem to have with our young talent, particularly blease, gysberts, Fitzpatrick, Strauss and the supossed knee issues with $$ etc is this a risky pick with so much other tallent? I know some of the injuries can't be helped but the last thing we need is another potential young gun sitting out for the next year before starting his development.

We ll let Toumpas slide thru to Port if there pick is after ours. It ll be put on the table when we are discussing the Boak trade

Best Available

• Like 1

Wouldnt be at all surpirised if Plowman went long before 13. Sounds very interesting. Like the report on Grundy also and having watched the carnival like what he brings to the table. Both big strong heavy duty boys. Plenty of midfielders to pick from later or trade into. ( Boak, Caddy, Stevens maybe Beams)

Just give us quality mids.....Viney, Toumpas and maybe Stringer/Garlett/Kennedy at 13 or

in the ideal world: Wines, Toumpas, Stringer/Garlett/Kennedy and then Viney at 24.

its disappointing and uplifting all at once to discuss our potential new players;

I hate it and love it, just like my missus !

Keep up the conversation !! just like the boss

• Like 1

I have to say that I am intrigued by the write-ups on Stringer. Comparisons to Pavlich are pretty impressive. If he lives up to that sort of rating he'd be worth one of our first picks. My question would be on his engine. I suspect he'd wind up playing more as a mid than forward given his size and our glut of tall prospects. Still, he sounds like a great prospect.

I would also love to get Menzel if he's still there at 13. He could fill the need for a small forward on our list and clearly knows how to hit the scoreboard. I know there's been talk of Garlett, but I wonder if he can produce those sort of numbers (to be fair, they both sound like ripping young players).

If we dont trade our picks, this is what I would like;

Pick 3 - Grundy

Pick 4 - Stringer

Pick 13 - Menzel

Pick 24 - Viney

Pick ?? - Tim Smith (Casey)

Moneyballers - David Ellard (CAR), Daniel Archer (STK), Koby Stevens (WC)

Free Agent - Danyle Pearce (PTA)

If we dont trade our picks, this is what I would like;

Pick 3 - Grundy

Pick 4 - Stringer

Pick 13 - Menzel

Pick 24 - Viney

Pick ?? - Tim Smith (Casey)

Moneyballers - David Ellard (CAR), Daniel Archer (STK), Koby Stevens (WC)

Free Agent - Danyle Pearce (PTA)

why Grundy, do we need another ruckman? Menzel, knee problems, family history, can play his brother can play but?

We need quality mids, the discussion will come down to Wines,Toumpas maybe Stringer, Viney,Hrovat, Vlastuin and the likes as early selections surely.

Mathew Haynes is another I would keep an eye on, not a great carnival but has pace to burn and skills to go with it. Could fall down the order and be a good pick up.

I have to say that I am intrigued by the write-ups on Stringer. Comparisons to Pavlich are pretty impressive. If he lives up to that sort of rating he'd be worth one of our first picks. My question would be on his engine. I suspect he'd wind up playing more as a mid than forward given his size and our glut of tall prospects. Still, he sounds like a great prospect.

I would also love to get Menzel if he's still there at 13. He could fill the need for a small forward on our list and clearly knows how to hit the scoreboard. I know there's been talk of Garlett, but I wonder if he can produce those sort of numbers (to be fair, they both sound like ripping young players).

It's a worry with his family history of Knees, his brother has done 2 reco's, & this boy has already done 1 reco when 16 Yrs of age.

It's a worry with his family history of Knees, his brother has done 2 reco's, & this boy has already done 1 reco when 16 Yrs of age.

Wont worry the MFC recruiters, they love drafting kids who are prone to injury

toumpas is a no for him. he is not playing footy for the rest of the year and yes i highly rate him but with all the injury history we have had with our kids nope id pass. but pleeeeease go for oliver wines!! the guy is dustin martin all over again!

why Grundy, do we need another ruckman? Menzel, knee problems, family history, can play his brother can play but?

We need quality mids, the discussion will come down to Wines,Toumpas maybe Stringer, Viney,Hrovat, Vlastuin and the likes as early selections surely.

I would argue that we do need another ruckman. Jamar will be about for another 3 years at this stage, Gawn looks promising, but has had 2 knee recos already. I am not convinced by either Spencer or Martin in their ability to carry the ruck load moving forward.

I think the question is more.... should we be taking a ruckman with such a high pick... or should these be saved for midfielders and we take our chances later in the draft... from state leagues, or from other clubs.

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Can't believe the number of people shying away from gun players because they've had an injury.

The only ones I'd be concerned about are Stringer with his broken leg recovery, and Menzel having LARS at 16.

Beyond those 2, it's like avoiding Viney cos he goes in too hard and will likely be suspended for 2/3 of his career.

Mental.