Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MONEY CAN'T BUY ME LOVE

Demonland

MONEY CAN'T BUY ME LOVE by Mean Gene

Melbourne displayed great emotion when it monstered the young guns from Greater Western Sydney in their long-awaited clash at the MCG.

While the board, the football department and the players have long moved on from the departure at the end of 2011 of Tom Scully, the majority of the fans needed to vent at their former player who not only jumped ship for the money but also who many believe acted disrepectfully to the club in the way he and his connections dealt with his departure. The fans got what they wanted.

Like most of his fellow Giants, Scully started well enough. He was collecting his share of boos with every possession in the game's first 25 minutes as the Sydneysiders scored five of the game's first eight goals but then the wheels swiftly fell off as Melbourne went in for the kill. By game's end, they were no longer Giants and more in the nature of midgets in the presence of a superior opposition.

It was hard to believe that this was the same team that went to Geelong and stayed with the reigning premiers or was in with a chance late in the game last week against Richmond. For that matter, it's still hard to get the head around the fact that one of their number is really cashing in to the tune of $2 million for this season alone. 

Hard to fathom that from the 25 minute mark of the first term until the siren blared to end the third quarter, another team that had been pushed from pillar to post in the first nine rounds of the season and only won its first game a few weeks ago, could outscore an opponent by 15.8 to 1.1.

The fact is that money can't buy what that scoreline provided to the people who collectively make up the Melbourne Football Club. It could only happen with emotion, with integrity, with hard work and with some healthy improvement in every facet of the club over recent weeks. 

The hero of the early part of the game was Mitch Clark who was absolutely superb with four first goals before he came off with a foot injury and a knock to the head. At one stage, it would not have been unreasonable to expect him to finish with double figures. His departure allowed others to take over as forward targets, notably former defenders Jared Rivers and Colin Garland who finished with four and three goals respectively (although the former was already in the goals by the time Clark left the field).

Multiple goalkickers are always the heroes but it was another Demon who has stood consistently as a beacon among his teammates in Nathan Jones who ran all day to pick up 34 disposals and who led the way all day. So too did Mark Jamar in the ruck against a couple of the Giants big men in Brogan and Giles who might be unsung but have taken some significant scalps this year.

Speaking of unsung heroes Matthew Bate has been in football's no man's land for the past few years but he was superb against the Giants amassing 27 touches, seven marks and a super goal.

Then there were Melbourne's early draft picks in Jack Watts (27 touches), co-captains Jack Grimes and Jack Trengove, James Frawley and the much-maligned Colin Sylvia. All of them turned it on and showed their worth and the fact that they were deserving of their early draft slots. 

One should add some plaudits to Jordie McKenzie who quelled Scully's early start and put him out of the game. Similarly, Tom McDonald took the other GWS number one pick  Jonathon Patton to the cleaners in a true break out performance in defence.

The game could well turn out to be a turning point for the Melbourne Football Club and it was only fitting that former skipper James McDonald was on hand to watch his old club take its first steps towards future greatness. 

Perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away but it's been a while since the Demons had such a convincing victory but I suspect there will be many more against plastic franchises built on dollars yet lacking in the emotional aspects of the game that money can't buy, a principle no better exemplified than by the emotionless robot who got paid more than anyone else on the day.

Melbourne 6.1.37 11.4.70 18.8.116 20.15.135

GWS Giants 5.1.31 6.2.38 6.2.38 9.3.57

Goals

Melbourne Clark Rivers 4 Garland 3 Davey Sylvia 2 Blease, Bate Blease Howe Jamar Trengove

GWS Giants Cameron 3 Wilson 2 Adams Bugg Greene Patton

Best

Melbourne Jones Watts McDonald Bate Grimes Clark

GWS Giants Ward Adams Treloar Shiel Greene McDonald

Injuries

Melbourne Mitch Clark (foot)

GWS Giants Nil

Changes

Melbourne Rohan Bail (concussion) replaced in the selected side by Sam Blease.

GWS Giants Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

GWS Giants Nil

Umpires McBurney, Ryan, Hay

Crowd 20,070 at the MCG

• Like 1

Never in doubt that result. If you don't take the kids seriously, you have an issue.

We didn't. We played some dominant footy a times at it was heartening.

Contributions from all players and McKenzie made Scully look like just a goer with good hands.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

It will be ours for a while. Teams above us keep winning.

It will be ours for good, I'd think. Still, let's not temper ourselves with reality too much and enjoy the win and more importantly, the progress.

Hard playing two teams, one white..other green. Good result though. Bit all over the joint in last .

Back to the Bailey days of beating up on interstate sides at the 'G. This win didn't have a patch on the Essendon game in terms of satisfaction, but it was still very pleasing to see us pummel a side for a change (especially quarters 2 and 3).

Let's be honest, first quarter the alarm bells were ringing.

Individually I reckon it was a good team performance.. No real standout players but no real passengers other than Moloney who will surely be dropped after another ineffective performance.

One thing I really like about Neeld's coaching is that he is innovative. Rivers up forward never ever would have happened under Bailey and probably ND as well, but Neeld has the balls to try something new and look what happens.

One last thing, FU Scully!!! I think the crowd did a good job today but what's done is done and now we move on. He isn't even that good anyway.

• Like 2

Davis and Cook should've been blooded, what easier way to get a taste. Oh well, opportunity lost.

Great start by Scully. Shame he was subbed off at quarter time.

Tom McDonald = The Mop

I love Jeremy Cameron, but not as much as I love Mitchy witchy Cwarky warky.

I've said for years Riv should be tried forward, you're alright Mark Neeld.

Good to see Sylvia show up for the snow show, still don't know where Moloney is.

Phil Davis is garbage.

Phil Scully is fat.

Bate was good after his usual unco start.

As good as Patton will be, he was absolutely man-handled by The Mop and Sellar, good to see. Puts Watts' early games into perspective, and emphasises what a talent Cameron is.

Watts was smooooth.

• Like 6

Watts delivering pin-point passes to Garland and Rivers is something I never thought I'd ever see.

The passing isnt a surprise ... the recipents however lol !!!

There's less and less value in Cameron shares now but I'd be buying in after watching him live.

The supply inside 50 was rubbish when it wasn't nonexistent; yet, he kicked 3 from 3 brilliant marks.

I'll take a couple of Dylan Shiel types too.

There's less and less value in Cameron shares now but I'd be buying in after watching him live.

The supply inside 50 was rubbish when it wasn't nonexistent; yet, he kicked 3 from 3 brilliant marks.

I'll take a couple of Dylan Shiel types too.

Then there were the marks/frees that he wasn't paid.

I loved the one on one contest with him and Watts, don't know who I was going for :o

• Like 1

Then there were the marks/frees that he wasn't paid.

I loved the one on one contest with him and Watts, don't know who I was going for :o

for shame for shame lol.

Glad for the win. But I took nothing else out of it. The boys did what they had to do and I'm happy for them. I just kept feeling like last year with interstate teams. It tells us nothing. The Essendon win was far sweeter.

• Like 2

A little confidence goes a long way.

We were rubbish in the first quarter with Mitch Clark keeping us in it.

Fortunately found our feet and a bit of touch.

Dunn was good on the back line - seemed to suit him

McDonald was great apart from some dodgy kicks. He seems to unleash some very flat, tired looking kicks but otherwise, his supreme fitness and endeavour was brilliant

Sylvia, Jamar and Davey found a bit of touch

Moloney was crash and bash without much effect

Blease laid a tackle or two, played well in the 3rd then disappeared

Joel Mac plays alright with no pressure, pity it rarely happens

I think Nicho is important because he knows what the coaches wants. He runs, spreads, blocks

Sellar showed he has pretty good vision, is mobile and has some skill. It seems to me he becomes a liability when even slightly off-balance

We had some good forward pressure.

Rivvo, Garlo = goals

Trengove is still a bit of a worry. If he's not injured, then he's so focussed on his role, he's forgotten his natural game. I don't think there were huge deficiencies in his game at the outset. He chased, tackled, blocked.and is a pure footballer - maybe needed to add the spread dimension but so did the whole team. He's always lacked a yard but no more than Jones or Moloney. I saw a glimpse of what he can do and has done today and hope to see more.

Another great show from Jones

Glad for the win. But I took nothing else out of it. The boys did what they had to do and I'm happy for them. I just kept feeling like last year with interstate teams. It tells us nothing. The Essendon win was far sweeter.

This attitude is one I always find amusing.

I mean, imagine if we didn't win? Or did what the Tigers did last week? Would we take anything from it then?

I took a few things out of it and I hope some of the players with improved form take something from it too...

• Like 7

Thought it was interesting after the usual shaking of hands a lot of the players rushed over to Blease and had a bit of a love in. I don't know what it signifies but he didn't seem to have an overly long conversation with Scully. Maybe he is staying but then again....Maybe I am reading too much into it.

Back to the Bailey days of beating up on interstate sides at the 'G. This win didn't have a patch on the Essendon game in terms of satisfaction, but it was still very pleasing to see us pummel a side for a change (especially quarters 2 and 3).

Let's be honest, first quarter the alarm bells were ringing.

Individually I reckon it was a good team performance.. No real standout players but no real passengers other than Moloney who will surely be dropped after another ineffective performance.

One thing I really like about Neeld's coaching is that he is innovative. Rivers up forward never ever would have happened under Bailey and probably ND as well, but Neeld has the balls to try something new and look what happens.

One last thing, FU Scully!!! I think the crowd did a good job today but what's done is done and now we move on. He isn't even that good anyway.

my god mate go and get yourself some help. We've won 2 for the year and this was an absolute smashing that we havent enjoyed for years. SIT BACK FOR A SECOND AND ENJOY IT PLEASE

• Like 6

Davis and Cook should've been blooded, what easier way to get a taste. Oh well, opportunity lost.

Great start by Scully. Shame he was subbed off at quarter time.

Tom McDonald = The Mop

I love Jeremy Cameron, but not as much as I love Mitchy witchy Cwarky warky.

I've said for years Riv should be tried forward, you're alright Mark Neeld.

Good to see Sylvia show up for the snow show, still don't know where Moloney is.

Phil Davis is garbage.

Phil Scully is fat.

Bate was good after his usual unco start.

As good as Patton will be, he was absolutely man-handled by The Mop and Sellar, good to see. Puts Watts' early games into perspective, and emphasises what a talent Cameron is.

Watts was smooooth.

perfect post