Message from the President...

Ah yeah, fair enough. I'm disappointed but, for better or worse, I'm a Dees supporter and that won't change. I'm certainly getting a tiny bit apathetic about it, though, which I find pretty sad.

I am way more that "a tiny bit"

I am not trying to be smart Rogue what would make you "very apathetic" ?

Edited by old dee

Ah yeah, fair enough. I'm disappointed but, for better or worse, I'm a Dees supporter and that won't change. I'm certainly getting a tiny bit apathetic about it, though, which I find pretty sad.

This is exactly what the club needs to prevent and what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

And if I'm seen to be a sycophant, it just shows how anonymous forums like this really are. No one who knows me would ever call me that.

Guest Jackie

OTC tonight, when asked about interviewing potential coaching candidates other than Neeld (specifically including Sanderson), the MFC President did not give any names and said only candidates who were ‘credible’ in MFC’s view were interviewed. What an interesting response!

He said the club was concerned about Neelds lack of experience but he won them over. The other candidate must have been Terry Wallace.

I find it hard to get excited about the team after a drubbing, but what else would I do over winter?

you people don't seriously believe that DMc selected the coach do you?

he's not qualified and wouldn't claim to be

the board would just sign off on it on advisement of the "experts" in the selection panel.

i don't have the inside running but suspect GL would have been most influential

P.S. I don't have an opinion either way (yet) on Neeld

OTC tonight, when asked about interviewing potential coaching candidates other than Neeld (specifically including Sanderson), the MFC President did not give any names and said only candidates who were ‘credible’ in MFC’s view were interviewed. What an interesting response!

Let's be honest McLardy is not really a football man and is guided by those that he trusts; if they let him down he may not immediately know it.

I don't know, maybe it's time he stepped down for someone that has a better knowledge of how a Football club should operate, maybe he will surprise all of us and get on top of it.

Guest gidon

Too much speculation on the coach 8 weeks in. McLardy should have squashed any speculation with a comment. We are happpy with our selection and stand by the selection.

Neeld is not Ratten

I felt that there a bit of a sub-text to his comments....I reckon he was alluding to big clean out at the end of the year and they're going hunting.

PS I want to put money on the fact that RR's comments were directed at WYL...where can I get on?

Edited by jumbo returns

I felt that there a bit of a sub-text to his comments....I reckon he was alluding to big clean out at the end of the year and they're going hunting.

PS I want to money on RR's comments were directed at WYL...where can I get on?

I will happily collect any funds...!

Don didn't really say anything . Pres speak . I didn't really see any anger or passion underneath the surface either - which is what I was looking for . He came across as somebody that has made decisions , believes in them , and will stay the course .

For him to say there is no crisis at all is a bit baffling . 'Spose he has to say that . I have nothing personal against the bloke but he didn't fill me with a lot of confidence . I got the impression that he wanted to say a little bit more but for obvious reasons didn't .

We learn't very little which is a bit disappointing . Though , reading between the lines , I think our senior players are in trouble .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 3

you people don't seriously believe that DMc selected the coach do you?

he's not qualified and wouldn't claim to be

the board would just sign off on it on advisement of the "experts" in the selection panel.

i don't have the inside running but suspect GL would have been most influential

P.S. I don't have an opinion either way (yet) on Neeld

Looks like Roos and Sheahan liked my question Daisy and McLardy's response was damning. Not his fault, he just didn't want to tell the truth.

IMO the club has handled the older players so poorly it's no surprise they haven't "bought in". The organization has ostracised the older players and particularly last years leadership group. We all know they had limitations but under Bailey they did as well as their ability allowed and the playing group were united and commited. When McLardy and Stynes interviewed the leadership group leading into the Geelong match the leaders spilled their guts on Schwab, Connolly and one or two others. They supported Bailey. McLardy listened, thanked them and acted. Schwab would not be extendedand Bailey was likely to be. This all changed post 186 and Bailey and a few others who were in the Bailey camp were dumped and in Bailey's case in the worst of ways. The playing group and leadership group in particular felt responsible.

The players are not "politically savvy". They thought they were doing the right thing. But they have, almost to a man, been dumped and humiliated by the current football department. Their loyalty to the club has counted for nothing. No wonder Moloney, Green, Davey and to a lesser extent Rivers are shadows today and their older mates like Jamar and Sylvia impacted as well.

You reap what you sow. The FD lost the respect of those players and I can understand why. MFC have a history of treating its older players very poorly. And please don't come back with "but they're professionals". They are humans with all the feelings and reactions that go with it. They've been told they're not wanted. What did you expect?

• Like 7

I am way more that "a tiny bit"

I am not trying to be smart Rogue what would make you "very apathetic" ?

Hmm, to be honest I'm not sure.

I think hope's really important and, despite us being pretty bad under DB's reign, I generally kept hope that we were going somewhere. Even in games where we got pounded I'd see something, whether it was some efforts from younger guys we were putting games into or a passage of play where it all came together and we moved the ball quickly through the corridor and scored quickly.

If we were rubbish and I had no hope we were on the improve then I'd probably become very apathetic, but I'm not there yet because there's residual hope from a couple of years ago. I think that the sweeping of a new broom can take time to pay off so I've not written us off in the medium-term yet, but I'm not sure how long it's reasonable to be waiting to see that progress.

This is exactly what the club needs to prevent and what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

Unfortunately generic 'messages from the President' that I could draft in my sleep don't do much for me.

I find it hard to get excited about the team after a drubbing, but what else would I do over winter?

Haha, there are always options.

I'm at the stage where I'm thinking there are more attractive options than going to the footy, but I know there's a large gap between merely flirting with the idea of doing something other than get to the Dees game each week we're in town and actually skipping games.

Personally, I thought the rot set in with the senior players well before the 186 point loss and the saga surrounding it.

Bailey's decision to cut Junior, and the way in which it was carried out, lacked judgement on so many levels. Then Bruce left. Robbo, White and Yze in the years before this. They were all in our best 22 at the time.

To say this is all Neeld's doing is far too convenient - and not at all accurate IMO either.

I said it at the time about Junior, and I maintain it still - Bailey's decision to let him go when he did has had long lasting consequences for this player group.

Looks like Roos and Sheahan liked my question Daisy and McLardy's response was damning. Not his fault, he just didn't want to tell the truth.

IMO the club has handled the older players so poorly it's no surprise they haven't "bought in". The organization has ostracised the older players and particularly last years leadership group. We all know they had limitations but under Bailey they did as well as their ability allowed and the playing group were united and commited. When McLardy and Stynes interviewed the leadership group leading into the Geelong match the leaders spilled their guts on Schwab, Connolly and one or two others. They supported Bailey. McLardy listened, thanked them and acted. Schwab would not be extendedand Bailey was likely to be. This all changed post 186 and Bailey and a few others who were in the Bailey camp were dumped and in Bailey's case in the worst of ways. The playing group and leadership group in particular felt responsible.

The players are not "politically savvy". They thought they were doing the right thing. But they have, almost to a man, been dumped and humiliated by the current football department. Their loyalty to the club has counted for nothing. No wonder Moloney, Green, Davey and to a lesser extent Rivers are shadows today and their older mates like Jamar and Sylvia impacted as well.

You reap what you sow. The FD lost the respect of those players and I can understand why. MFC have a history of treating its older players very poorly. And please don't come back with "but they're professionals". They are humans with all the feelings and reactions that go with it. They've been told they're not wanted. What did you expect?

I agree with what you say, yes there is an arguement that the club treated these guys badly.

But if they feel so strongly about it they feel so aggrieved they should have terminated contracts at the end of last year.

They are still on the 2012 payroll & should honour that.

Wow this has been such a tough year....

• Like 1

Brilliantly well stated! This and this alone is why I'm critical of Neeld. You can't walk in to any organization and say you're doing it all wrong but don't worry I'll show you the right way, or show you the door. It's really poor management. A good manager gets the best from their available resources. You'd be hard pressed to make that argument on Neelds behalf.

It worries me that our experienced players will walk, but who'll want to come and replace them? We look a terrible mess.

• Like 1

We don't have enough information to make this conclusion. For example, the other side of the coin was that the senior players efforts over the pre-season were so poor that the FD had no choice but to dump them from the leadership group, how could you reward non-performers with leadership roles?

Perhaps the senior players lost the respect of the FD.

• Like 1

Read your own post Old and see if you can spot the problem? Hint; the players got what they wanted then played so badly the team was destroyed by 186 points.

These are the same senior players that have let us down for years and have been allowed to continue to rack up games because there wasn't anyone else. We just didn't turn up to play sound familiar.

Someone had to bite the bullet and let these frauds know what the future held, and I'd rather have 22 kids play than have these guys decide whether they were going to turn up to play or not. Goes way back to Daniher and this was had to be eliminated.

BTW Loyalty? How many time have we been held to ransom by these players who have finally decided to sign on the death knock? Does this happen to the most senior players at every other club, do they have to fight every year a player comes out of contract.

Edited by RobbieF

Unfortunately generic 'messages from the President' that I could draft in my sleep don't do much for me.

I understand your perspective, but I don't think he could really say much more to be honest.

In particular, I don't think he would think it appropriate to be telling the football department/match selection committee who they should, and should not, be selecting next week.

That said, I suspect we will see a very different player group by the start of 2013.

Brilliantly well stated! This and this alone is why I'm critical of Neeld. You can't walk in to any organization and say you're doing it all wrong but don't worry I'll show you the right way, or show you the door. It's really poor management. A good manager gets the best from their available resources. You'd be hard pressed to make that argument on Neelds behalf.

It worries me that our experienced players will walk, but who'll want to come and replace them? We look a terrible mess.

Of course you can!! And good on Mark Neeld for having the sack to do it ... to finally shake up this joke of a football club!

• Like 1

Bailey's decision to cut Junior, and the way in which it was carried out, lacked judgement on so many levels. Then Bruce left. Robbo, White and Yze in the years before this. They were all in our best 22 at the time.

McDonald was clearly a terrible error, but Bruce has done nothing since to suggest he would have been anymore useful than the poor disposal he's dished out for years. You're also doing a bit of rewriting history here. Robbo's last season was abysmal and Yze and White were also obviously ready to leave the game. No one can go on forever.

I completely agree with you on Jnr though, it's the gift that just keeps on giving. Miller's leadership and work rate on the track would have been handy.

• Like 1

Personally, I thought the rot set in with the senior players well before the 186 point loss and the saga surrounding it.

Robertson was probably best 22 because he knew how to find the footy but ended up on the ground punching the turf far too much, and certainly didn't work hard enough defensively. Yze was in no way best 22 when he got cut - he was a shadow of his former self; I remember thinking it was quite sad. I can't really remember whether White was tracking as badly but he didn't get picked up anywhere else and if we wanted to hang on to our other ruck prospects we couldn't keep giving White the number one ruck mantle.

We tried to hold on to Bruce but he thought the writing was on the wall and didn't end up doing much at Hawthorn. I don't know if we missed much, tbh.

Sure, McDonald was a decision we'd probably take back in hindsight, but it wasn't a horrendous one at the time IMO. He could just as easily have been completely done, so the Club probably made a decent decision based on what they knew about his fitness.

• Like 2

Robbo, White and Yze were in and out of the side in the seasons they were sacked. They had it coming for a long time and perhaps lasted a lot longer than they should have.

Junior was the only one hard done by IMO. He couldn't continue on after 2010 but still deserved better.