Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

186: the details according to Caroline Wilson

Guest José Mourinho

The first truths that have ever come out of her hagged old mouth. Well written and well documented.

Is today the beggining of the new?

Credit to Caro. It's a good write-up of events. Bailey doesn't emerge too well from it on several levels IMO.

But out of all the things that happened that day, Moloney being allowed (and allowing himself) to take to the field, for me is still the most baffling.

"Moloney, who had a virus and should not have played, was being devastated by Cameron Ling and was subbed off at half-time. Connolly spent much of the second half in the rooms checking on the sick midfielder who spent much of the remainder of the game asleep."

Asleep! How does that happen at a professional football club? The mind boggles.

I hope Beamer makes amends and leaves the field our best player today.

But out of all the things that happened that day, Moloney being allowed (and allowing himself) to take to the field, for me is still the most baffling.

"Moloney, who had a virus and should not have played, was being devastated by Cameron Ling and was subbed off at half-time. Connolly spent much of the second half in the rooms checking on the sick midfielder who spent much of the remainder of the game asleep

Where was the club doctor?

Where was the club doctor?

As far as I know the club doctor does not routinely examine each player before every game - it does come down to personal responsibility from the player, not only to himself but also to the team, to report illness or injury.

It seems that it was BM, not the club doctor (unless he was asked his opinion) who failed BM, and the team, and the club!

• Like 2

Credit to Caro. It's a good write-up of events. Bailey doesn't emerge too well from it on several levels IMO.

"Moloney, who had a virus and should not have played, was being devastated by Cameron Ling and was subbed off at half-time. Connolly spent much of the second half in the rooms checking on the sick midfielder who spent much of the remainder of the game asleep."

Asleep! How does that happen at a professional football club? The mind boggles.

I hope Beamer makes amends and leaves the field our best player today.

If you're sick and have just run six or seven kilometers with Cameron Ling hanging off you, sleep would seem like a good option.

The one line I did not like was:

"Today Melbourne enters round six winless and one of the high draft picks Bailey lost games for - Jack Watts - has been dropped."

I'm pretty sure in 2008 we were just rubbish, no need to tank that year.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just not too good at reading these situations, but I don't think Mclardy reads very well in this at all. He's also seemingly lost in all commentary about the situation.

I was lucky enough to be an a flight to Asia during this game, so I never had to sit through the ordeal.

It feels like I was reading a crime thriller, not a football story about the Demons.

It was as though some of our players were dreaming of being on that flight too.

Maybe I'm just not too good at reading these situations, but I don't think Mclardy reads very well in this at all. He's also seemingly lost in all commentary about the situation.

Interesting point HG, but I think sh!t was that bad that something needed to be done immediately and McLardy made it happen. If he didn't, Schwab wouldn't have had his contract extended, Bailey would probably still be coach, and while we most probably wouldn't have had 186 (which may have felt better), it wouldn't have gotten to the root of the problems.

Personally, I think McLardy should be acknowledged for taking the actions that he did, but I can also see the other side of the arguement.

I'm still livid with certain players to allow it to happen though, and I will never forgive them for it.

This sounds like a fairly honest version of events .

Baileys biggest mistake was turning his men against Schwab.

Players should never be privy to political discussions inside a sporting club .

Cam Schwab over -doing his job is not as bad as Bailey underperforming.

Brad Green and Rivers got involved in backing the wrong guy .

Schwab and Connolly had gotten rid of Old MacDonald and Bruce-so they freared being next .

The Moral of the story is-as always-mind your own business .

• Like 5

Brad Green and Rivers got involved in backing the wrong guy .

Schwab and Connolly had gotten rid of Old MacDonald and Bruce-so they freared being next .

I feel this is the crux of it; the senior players were worried about job security and it may have been the administration side pushing some of those senior players out not the coach. The question is should the administration be involved in list management decisions,? Arguably though, maybe the administration was truong to weed out some if the soft colette we have been talking about.

There are two sides to the story, and while this article details events it is very unclear on the motives of either side...

If you're sick and have just run six or seven kilometers with Cameron Ling hanging off you, sleep would seem like a good option.

The one line I did not like was:

"Today Melbourne enters round six winless and one of the high draft picks Bailey lost games for - Jack Watts - has been dropped."

Yes Caroline - tell us which games we lost to get Jack in 2008. Maybe it was the 1st round match against Hawthorn -belted by over 100 points. Maybe it was one of 6 other matches that we lost by over 75 points. We did did not tank in 2008. we didn't have to....we were just terrible.

In 2009 we lost so many matches where we did OK for a time, then got blown away by the opposition. This was exactly the same phenomenon that occured against Hawthorn, Collingwood, North, and the Bulldogs in 2011. It runs in the club. We also got picked on for taking Liam Jurrah off the ground against St Kilda in 2009, after he kicked two goals in a quarter. We now know that Liam has issues with match fitness and trying to build up his endurance.

This was a good article, but it is ruined by Caroline's blinked view of our club. She takes Bailey's word as gospel on the day he resigned, and she never ever explains what happened in that match against the Tigers in 2009. If Melbourne were tanking that day, what were Richmond doing? Please explain Caroline.

• Like 2

Caro writes a really good article when she isn't muckraking. This doesn't really paint our club in the best light, but it at least uncovers some of the terrible mess that was 186. Please may today be a different situation. I could not handle another Kardinia Massacre.

• Like 1

I don't think there's much new in Caro's article. Most of it has been said in one form or another, many of the old questions lay unanswered or buried and all we know now is that a virtually new football department has been installed to replace that which had clearly become dysfunctional. Whenever there's change of this sort, there's inevitably going to be hurt and pain. We've seen this in a number of areas with the leadership group being almost totally removed (that's tough when it's a team game like footy when the individuals concerned have done so much to gain our respect and admiration). On balance, what was done, probably had to be done.

I disagree with the notion that the club has to go through a rebuild. We were already going through a rebuild that is still in progress. Many of the young players recruited to the club in the past 3-4 years have, for one reason or another, not played enough games to be in a position to realise their full potential. Some will get there eventually, others will not. In the meantime, we are moving on and I believe that by the end of the year, we will be well on the way to getting back on track.

• Like 1

Agree Clint. I think Beamer made an error of judgement on the day which was a far smaller error than the whoppas clearly made elsewhere in the Club in the lead up to the 186 game. I agree with the situation on Moloney after he was distressed and ill.

I think Caro's reference to 2008 is wrong and its a piece of media licence. We were crap in 2008.

Agree. Absolutely 45HG16. I think the whole Board comes out poorly.

I'm still livid with certain players to allow it to happen though, and I will never forgive them for it.

Thank God its was all the players fault. There was no way Bailey would have been coaching in 2012 regardless of what McLardy apparent did or did not do.

This was a good article, but it is ruined by Caroline's blinked view of our club. She takes Bailey's word as gospel on the day he resigned,

Ah you did read the article didn't you???

This sounds like a fairly honest version of events .

Baileys biggest mistake was turning his men against Schwab.

Players should never be privy to political discussions inside a sporting club .

Pity you misread them.

Where does it say that Bailey turned his mean against Schwab? FWIW, both Schwab and Connolly had been publicly undermining Bailey. Whether Bailey was a good coach or not it was poor form.

As for players being privy to political discussions inside a sporting club, it was McLardy that went behind the back of his appointed management team and interviewed the players. The onus is on McLardy and co who seemed to find out too much too late.

The first truths that have ever come out of her hagged old mouth. Well written and well documented.

Is today the beggining of the new?

You have no idea. Caro is a good football writer. She doesn't lie and gets told all sorts of stuff from all sorts of people. Her job is to filter it and find out facts. Occasionally she fills in gaps that are obvious but she is after all an opinion writer.

Did you ever think that footy is a political business and some people use the media to spread lies and untruths?? Don't shoot the messenger.

And when you see people like Grant Thomas and Greg Denham who sprout confidential stuff without checking facts you should be glad people like Caro are around.

As for the article I think it shows why our leadership group is new this year. What did the players think they were doing?? Play footy FFS and stay out of the other stuff.

• Like 5

A very interesting article...probably the most insightful of all the pieces regarding 186 that I have read. The changes that have happened at the club since that day were all absolutely necessary, and although we haven't won a game yet this year I think we're in a better situation than we were in the lead up to Round 19. I hope we turn a corner today...we all need something to cheer about. Even if it's not a win, a solid, competitive effort will help show a change in players' attitudes and that we're heading in the right direction.

A good article in so far as providing a narrative for those few turbulent weeks

However it doesn't really address the reasons WHY the club got to such a dysfunctional mess a week before 186

I guess we will all have our speculations as to why and how it came about and who to blame but like all such situations we will never know all the facts and reasons.

Much of the club has now been rebuilt and expanded and we can only hope that each department now focuses 100% on their specific job

It's been said before and sounds like motherhood but we just have to give it time to settle in and have faith they get it right this time.....what other choice is there?

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Where does it say that Bailey turned his mean against Schwab? FWIW, both Schwab and Connolly had been publicly undermining Bailey. Whether Bailey was a good coach or not it was poor form.

As for players being privy to political discussions inside a sporting club, it was McLardy that went behind the back of his appointed management team and interviewed the players. The onus is on McLardy and co who seemed to find out too much too late.

Did they publicly undermine Bailey?

I don't recall this - how did they do this?

I think McLardy was doing his best in a bad situation, where he & stynes shouldn't have been filling the role of football director, and at that point stynes probably shouldn't have been involved at all.

It's tough when the people you rely on for feedback have hidden agendas.

Without her naming them, I think the people that come out looking the worst would be Mark Williams, Ian Flack, Barry Prendergast and Joel Hocking.

Guest José Mourinho

A good article in so far as providing a narrative for those few turbulent weeks

However it doesn't really address the reasons WHY the club got to such a dysfunctional mess a week before 186

I guess we will all have our speculations as to why and how it came about and who to blame but like all such situations we will never know all the facts and reasons.

Much of the club has now been rebuilt and expanded and we can only hope that each department now focuses 100% on their specific job

It's been said before and sounds like motherhood but we just have to give it time to settle in and have faith they get it right this time.....what other choice is there?

I think it came down to fervent supporters of Bailey being able to see the writing on the wall well ahead of time, and them doing what they could to preserve their positions.

So was everything else she said was a lie? Can you give some examples pls.

My big example is her write up a few years back and feud with Brayshaw about the relocation of the Roos being definite from memory. She's got no idea and this is backed up by the fact that she gets shut down every single time by Grant Thomas on Footy Classified. Just another journo

Guest Jackie

Nothing much new to this article but I am still mystified to the real reasons that caused the shambles and whether the monster from THE THING still lurks within the club. I am not convinced this issue is dead and buried yet. I await for someone to to write the tell all book one day.

Edited by Jackie

I suspect that Schwab and Connolly came to the view that he wasn't coaching and developing the players to play a game-plan that was competitive against most teams. They didn't press, they couldn't handle a press, they didn't play with any accountability, or defensive mindset. After nearly 4 years it was pretty obvious he wasn't a great coach and I suspect factions within the club were forming and perhaps the air around the place was becoming a little thicker.

• Like 6