Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MCC VS MELBOURNE MEMBERS

GIRO

MCC and MFC used to be the same entity...they split in the 70's or 80's.

I'm an MCC/MFC member. The MCC prides itself on history. I believe the MCC has started giving more to MFC.

The MFC re-joined the MCC as a sporting section a couple of years ago. Surely as a Cricket Club member you were aware of this!

• Like 1

They split because the MCC had control of the MFC board. The MFC wanted to be seperate and run the football side of things as their own indentity. The politics of the time were ridgid and they split with a lot of ill feeling. As the game turned more professional this needed to be addressed and now the MFC enjoys the full support of the MCC with both having their own identity.

Torpedo, you said you only had your Dad to sit with in the MCC. That's probably the main reason you saw no value.

I love the MCC for the social aspect as well as footy, I know a lot of other MCC members, and so I attend MFC games with one group of friends or family, and I attend Collingwood and Essendon games with other friends who support those clubs. I also spend time in the Frank grey smith bar which I really enjoy, as they don't allow it to get too packed like the other bars. You usually have 3 or 4 different sports/matches on the TVs in there, and the food is pretty good and the beer is cold and in glasses. The seats on level 3 balcony are awesome, protected from the wind and right on the wing. For boxing day you can go to the long room to escape the heat and crowds, likewise for AFL finals matches. If you're happy to wait in line you are pretty much guaranteed a seat for the Grand Final and Prelims.

Having said all that, I have my reasons, your assertion as to why most keep their memberships may be true for some, but there are certainly a lot of members who use the memberships. I see familiar faces there every week.

Yes, thanks for your input Robbie, very typical of you & the cretins who liked it.

I often venture out, but all it does is reminds me why I prefer to be in the MCC.

Where you sit should have no bearing on the respect you show for others, but it often does.

Is this for real?

You really get as much value from your MCC membership as you want to. Living in Ballarat, I don't get down as often as I'd like, but I make a point of going to the Grand Final each year.

What I like most about the MCC is the sense of history and atmosphere. I like being able to move around and look over all the old memorabilia or spend a bit of time in one of the bars.

On another note - has anyone been to the new Terrace Cafe on level 2? There used to be a really affordable little cafe there. At half time during the Richmond game, I waited in line for about 15 minutes and all I could afford was some little baguette thing. Gourmet pies were $18! Disappointed to see the other place go.

OMG who cares?? If you want to be in the MCC - join!! Anyone can. If you don't, great.

It's not a matter of wanting to join - it's a matter of what's best for the MFC. Handing over $600 per year to the MCC with a token $60 to MFC when you could buy a Premium MFC Membership with that $600 is robbing our club of potential revenue which could be invested into our team/club to ensure it's off field survival and on-field competitiveness. I know there are a number of MCC who buy MFC memberships also but not nearly enough. You can't claim you are an MFC SUPPORTER if you do not buy an MFC Membership to SUPPORT the club. This goes for AFL Members with club support also although at least the club gets about $150 out of that but it still is nowhere near the same as getting $500+ for a Premium Membership (which is what the AFL Membership costs).

Yes the MCC has agreed to hand over some extra cash but it is still not the same as if all our MCC based followers joined up and supported the MFC. It is also discretionary and ould change depending on the whim of the MCC.

So come on all you toffs. If you want to claim to be an MFC SUPPORTER then hand over your (not very) hard-earned cash that you got from playing the stock and derivatives markets and buy an MFC Premium Membership. It won't cost you much more than the cost of filling up your Range Rovers for a month. :lol:

• Like 1

What a lot of snobish crap. I am an MCC menber and a full member of the MFC.

A lot of MCC members are not rich or from the upper end of town but my hard earned cash is very hard earned. I don't own a range rover nor do I go to the snow each year. I can't even get to the MCG that often but still pay a full dee's membership.

When I do go to the MCG I like to go to the MCC If this upsets you well so be it. Go off with your beer swilling, foul mouthed mates and have a good time. Each to their own.

• Like 1

Bossdog I think Gonzo was being a little facetious.

I don't care what anyone says- if you have an MCC membership without any support for the Melbourne Football Club you are not only selfish but you are an utter disgrace!

• Like 1

It's not a matter of wanting to join - it's a matter of what's best for the MFC. Handing over $600 per year to the MCC with a token $60 to MFC when you could buy a Premium MFC Membership with that $600 is robbing our club of potential revenue which could be invested into our team/club to ensure it's off field survival and on-field competitiveness. I know there are a number of MCC who buy MFC memberships also but not nearly enough. You can't claim you are an MFC SUPPORTER if you do not buy an MFC Membership to SUPPORT the club. This goes for AFL Members with club support also although at least the club gets about $150 out of that but it still is nowhere near the same as getting $500+ for a Premium Membership (which is what the AFL Membership costs).

Yes the MCC has agreed to hand over some extra cash but it is still not the same as if all our MCC based followers joined up and supported the MFC. It is also discretionary and ould change depending on the whim of the MCC.

So come on all you toffs. If you want to claim to be an MFC SUPPORTER then hand over your (not very) hard-earned cash that you got from playing the stock and derivatives markets and buy an MFC Premium Membership. It won't cost you much more than the cost of filling up your Range Rovers for a month. :lol:

Wow, you really are being a PF today.

That's a pretty over the top stereotype

Nothing like trying to divide our supporters

BTW I'm not an MCC member

This from a MFC supporter - "just a laugh" I suppose???

A low point for demonland, this...

Edited by Nasher
fixed quote

It made me laugh Dr. G. as i knew what would follow.

I am a full MCC/MFC member who loves sitting on level 2 of the Reserve.

I have also often sat there wearing a footy Jumper.

was it to please the MCC that MFC put the collar on the new jumper????

was it to please the MCC that MFC put the collar on the new jumper????

You know you can't get in the place without one....

Gonzo, you're wasting your time posting that stuff in here. You're preaching to the converted, everyone in here supports the club to varying degrees.

So true . I find it ridiculous and totally childish when fellow posters "urge" others to do more on this site . If they feel so strongly about it they should go down to the club and volunteer their services . There's always room for volunteers at any club .

I often think these "preacher types" probably do very little themselves . Nothing if the truth be known . I doubt if they even go to games . Just want to take anonymous potshots . Weak individuals . And tiresome .

And I'm not taking aim at you 'Gonzo' . I got the joke ! And I'm sure you are genuine .

Reminds me of a coach I had once had who went off his head about the low numbers at training one Tuesday night . We had to do extra laps etc etc but the players who weren't there got off scott free ! Go figure .

He only coached for one year .

• Like 1

You have no iea what you are talking about, are you mates with Dr Who? Do you know how much the MFC get everytime a MCC member goes through the turnstiles on match day ?

Edited by DavidNeitz9

Have been a MCC and MFC full member for 30 years. I prefer to sit in the MCC and have taken my kids since they were knee high to grasshopers

Did go with a few mates to the outer and was grateful that the kids weren't with me. The drunken thugs and the foul language would put me off going to the footy. I am not a toff or a rich man and have stood in the outer at Vic Park,glenferrie oval,Windy hill. But these days I am disappointed with the general public's attitude and hostility at the footy.

I'm quite partial to experiencing the seedier side of life, but I just don't go to the football to bear witness to that sort of disgraceful behaviour.

I'm there to watch the game, not be distracted by those that offend me.

Talk about up yourself. They are like wild animals in GA. Come grow up in sunbury if you think it's wild in GA. Really give me a spell you are why we are talked about like a bunch of wimps. Get some BOGAN in you and harden up.

Guest José Mourinho

Talk about up yourself. They are like wild animals in GA. Come grow up in sunbury if you think it's wild in GA. Really give me a spell you are why we are talked about like a bunch of wimps. Get some BOGAN in you and harden up.

I don't think you get the point.

I've spent a lot of time in wild areas around wild people.

I can handle that.

But when presented with the choice between

- being in the presence of someone who'll distract me all game and annoy the hell out of me

- or being able to watch the game intently, free of distraction

Well, I know which I'd choose.

Guest José Mourinho

Really ? Tell us more !

Thanks for the input, you're hilarious.

I was just responding to someone insinuating that I hadn't and misrepresenting the issue being discussed.