Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Grimes Suspended

wattsup

Guest Jackie

Bottom line is; if you initiate and follow through a tackle on your opponent and he gets a sore head from it then you are F&$%#@.

• Like 1

Struggling to find where I said he tried to do it again.

Billy: There seems a mixup with the quoting somewhere. I was replying to Cards13 originally and quoting his message not yours. You seem to think I was replying to you and I didn't spot that you were now writing not cards13, hence the confusion in subsequent posts. Am I doing something wrong when I hit the 'quote' button or did you just misread who I quoted in my original post?

Cards13: My replies to billy, including the one where I accepted nothing un-supportive was intended, may answer your question to me.

Billy: There seems a mixup with the quoting somewhere. I was replying to Cards13 originally and quoting his message not yours. You seem to think I was replying to you and I didn't spot that you were now writing not cards13, hence the confusion in subsequent posts. Am I doing something wrong when I hit the 'quote' button or did you just misread who I quoted in my original post?

Cards13: My replies to billy, including the one where I accepted nothing un-supportive was intended, may answer your question to me.

Your posts #36 and #39 have it covered.

I am so sick of the MR and their inconsistencies. They should be held up for bringing the game into disrepute.

Re the Jackson on Grimes incident

Fact. Jackson was out of bounds

Fact. Jackson 'slung' Grimes in a secondary and intentional motion

Fact. Grimes was knocked out

The movement was a sling as far as the definition is concerned.

Where was his duty of care to Grimes??

Why was it not even reviewed?

Why was the result of the incident not taken into account like it was with the Grimes tackle on Jackson earlier?

The game is forked.

On the other hand, we should be pleased that JG wasn't cited for unduly rough play on himself. The penalty would've been far greater because the impact was much more severe.

On a more serious note, anyone would try and land on the tackling player if they can get away it. It's smart to avoid landing on the hard surface if you can. Undoubtedly, they'll be tring to improve on our tackling techniques; first to make them and hold them and second, to execute them in a way that doesn't bring the MRP into the picture. No point whingeing about it, look & learn.

It'll be interesting to see if there's an improvement in the coming weeks.

I am so sick of the MR and their inconsistencies. They should be held up for bringing the game into disrepute.

Re the Jackson on Grimes incident

Fact. Jackson was out of bounds

Fact. Jackson 'slung' Grimes in a secondary and intentional motion

Fact. Grimes was knocked out

The movement was a sling as far as the definition is concerned.

Where was his duty of care to Grimes??

Why was it not even reviewed?

Why was the result of the incident not taken into account like it was with the Grimes tackle on Jackson earlier?

The game is forked.

I have watched that footage several times and I'm sorry, but I just do not see any slinging motion at all on the part of Jackson. Grimes was holding Jackson and both were turning, lost balance and Jackson landed on top of Grimes. No ones fault. I think that trying to find something in that incident is really taking parochialism a bridge too far... if anyone is to be blamed, it should be the MCC (I assume it's their call) for having that surface so close to the field of play.

I didn't have any problems with how both Grimes incidents were handled

I don't think Jackson did anything wrong

Grimes should know the sling tackle rule well, esp after Trengove

I think Grimes also knew he was over the boundary and should have 'pulled' the tackle in both cases

I think Grimes was frustrated at the teams performance and was trying as captain to make a physical statement. He just went too far

In the end it was just another example of lack of discipline in giving away unnecessary frees (and in this case suspension)

• Like 2

I didn't have any problems with how both Grimes incidents were handled

I don't think Jackson did anything wrong

Grimes should know the sling tackle rule well, esp after Trengove

I think Grimes also knew he was over the boundary and should have 'pulled' the tackle in both cases

I think Grimes was frustrated at the teams performance and was trying as captain to make a physical statement. He just went too far

In the end it was just another example of lack of discipline in giving away unnecessary frees (and in this case suspension)

You've obviously played the game before DC.

not sure what point you are trying to make Billy?

but yes

Because your post is 100% correct! In both those tackles, Grimes was trying to make a physical statement that was taken too far. He intentionally did that, but did he intentionally try and crack Jackson's head on the ground? I doubt it.

Yet some people will be still livid with the decision rather than livid with the actions.

Because your post is 100% correct! In both those tackles, Grimes was trying to make a physical statement that was taken too far. He intentionally did that, but did he intentionally try and crack Jackson's head on the ground? I doubt it.

Yet some people will be still livid with the decision rather than livid with the actions.

no i don't think he meant to crack his head deliberately

if you are going to 'fly the flag' you must be aware of how far you can go or it horribly backfires

a hard tackle outside the boundary line was not a smart idea

Guest José Mourinho

Looking at Grimes following the second tackle on Jackson, he probably needed to miss this week anyway.

Taking that into consideration, I don't think this issue is worth getting worked up over.

We all know the MRP is a contradictory mess.

The disappointing aspect is that our captain is rubbed out for a week, especially given his track record in terms of games played in recent seasons. I'd much prefer our captain miss a game because he ran back with the flight of the ball and got knocked out cold, rather than trying to make a physical statement outside the field of play.

hahaha just saw myself in that video 18 secs in, front row red sunnies

hahaha so you watched the game through rose coloured glasses? who said mfcss is dead B)

did the glasses make any difference to the result? If so I might get some myself

• Like 1

hahaha so you watched the game through rose coloured glasses? who said mfcss is dead B)

did the glasses make any difference to the result? If so I might get some myself

Unfortunately not but if you want a pair they're called "Oakley Holbrooks" you can customize the frame and lenses, mine a red framed with blue lenses

I have watched that footage several times and I'm sorry, but I just do not see any slinging motion at all on the part of Jackson. Grimes was holding Jackson and both were turning, lost balance and Jackson landed on top of Grimes. No ones fault. I think that trying to find something in that incident is really taking parochialism a bridge too far... if anyone is to be blamed, it should be the MCC (I assume it's their call) for having that surface so close to the field of play.

Don't get caught up in semantics. Watch it again and you will see Jackson is out of bounds turning, looks at Grimes and then makes a second aggressive motion to slam Grimes onto the ground.

Don't get caught up in semantics. Watch it again and you will see Jackson is out of bounds turning, looks at Grimes and then makes a second aggressive motion to slam Grimes onto the ground.

you have a great imagination jnr

and you give jackson too much credit

he was the one being tackled and heading for the fence, of course he struggled

Easy to make that albeit errant conclusion by watching a slo-mo replay, but watched at normal speed, there is absolutely no way he could have made such a conscious decision and I would say, no way he did... take off the red and blue goggles.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

Easy to make that albeit errant conclusion by watching a slo-mo replay, but watched at normal speed, there is absolutely no way he could have made such a conscious decision and I would say, no way he did... take off the red and blue goggles.

I don't think the conclusion is at all errant . If you watch the replay, Grimes is tackling straight on , trying to push Jackson over the boundary line . All of his effort is in tackling and pushing forward . He does not move sideways or make any rotating moves .

Jackson , however , while being pushed backwards , wraps his left arm around Grimes' torso , lifts him off the ground , then rotates his body backwards and down onto Grimes .

If you watch the replay , and just keep your eyes on Grimes' feet , you will see he is lifted off the ground . He makes no effort to launch himself off the ground .

BTW , how is Lachie Henderson's tackle not a sling tackle ?

I don't think the conclusion is at all errant . If you watch the replay, Grimes is tackling straight on , trying to push Jackson over the boundary line . All of his effort is in tackling and pushing forward . He does not move sideways or make any rotating moves .

Jackson , however , while being pushed backwards , wraps his left arm around Grimes' torso , lifts him off the ground , then rotates his body backwards and down onto Grimes .

If you watch the replay , and just keep your eyes on Grimes' feet , you will see he is lifted off the ground . He makes no effort to launch himself off the ground .

BTW , how is Lachie Henderson's tackle not a sling tackle ?

I have watched the replay several times and still believe that Jackson is in no way responsible. It was purely momentum resulting from the Grimes tackle - they fell together and I will say it again, Jackson simply did not have time to make a conscious effort to land with all of his weight on Grimes' head.

Edited by hardtack