Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

I came home strangely calm after watching that pi$sweak effort.

Maybe after the emotion of last Tuesday week I realise there are just far more important things in life than footy.

Maybe it's because after over 40 years of giving my heart and soul to this club that I'm not overly surprised we continually deliver crap like we did today.

The most concerning part for me is just how far ahead of us all the other teams that have been rebuilding at the same time as us are.

• Like 1

Well, for all the negativity, I can find a couple of massive positives in the mess.

Obviously Magner. Had a really solid debut and will keep getting games.

Tynan from most reports acquitted himself very well.

Neelds press conference indicates that he was more than happy with Watts' game, so he's clearly improving his form from the pre-season slump.

I might finally be able to go to a game of football and not hear drunk yobbo's yelling out "Just kick the F****** thing"

I agree with this statement, but, given that we've had so many top 20 picks in recent years, it's a damning fact that our best midfielder is a seasoned VFL player.

Our recruitment has been appalling. And we haven't even been able to retain some of the talent we've actually had on this list either.

Scott Thompson had 39 possessions today, following 51 against the Gold Coast. Gone. We lost Darren Jolly too. Not to mention the former number 31.

We didn't even interview Dustin Martin.

Seriously - it's been amateur hour in that department for too long. I simply cannot believe Richmond has a better midfield/team than us.

However, I have a lot of confidence in Neeld and his coaching team. I still do. It's not his fault we've got the list we do, and we'd invested so much time in a game plan that wasn't going anywhere and we've now had to start again.

Neeld's head must been spinning in frustration right now.

I am so p1ssed off. Round 1 and we're already staring down the barrel of yet another truly ordinary season.

Hot jam donuts were great....despite being $3 for 2 of the bastards!

I remember when it was 6 for $3 .

It's all gone to the dogs .

• Like 1

And to think we nearly had Rockliff too. I'd trade any player on our list for that guy.

There are simply no positives in being unable to beat the Lions at the G in round one of the season.

This is Rockliff who slipped to the PSD because nobody wanted him in the ND right? The guy who, If I recall, topped the goalkicking in the U18 carnival but was apparently too small for a forward and too slow for a mid. That he went that low is a damning indictment on every recruiter in the country. He was always going to be a star.

On reflection, this is the lowest I have ever felt as a Melbourne supporter, and reading this thread goes to show that I'm not alone.

The crap this club keeps on dishing out, is killing it.

After all the hard work of people like Jim, to reunite and define and make us viable again, the players are doing their absolute best to destroy it all with pissweak garbage, soulless performances.

If they felt how we feel about this club, if they were as proud of the jumper as we are, they would never perform with such utter disrespect to everything this club used to stand for. They have destroyed the optimism, the pride, the joy I used to get from going to the footy.

Maybe it's just a bunch of cliches, bleeding for the jumper and all that, but I've long stopped hoping for real success. All I want is to see a bunch of players who actually care, and to stop feeling so utterly hopeless and so incredibly ashamed to be a Melbourne supporter.

The last time I felt proud leaving a match, was when we came back to beat Brisbane and Aussie kicked the sealer. Ironically, the same opponent today ripped us to shreds and made me think that maybe I'll never feel this way again.

• Like 1

On reflection, this is the lowest I have ever felt as a Melbourne supporter, and reading this thread goes to show that I'm not alone.

The crap this club keeps on dishing out, is killing it.

After all the hard work of people like Jim, to reunite and define and make us viable again, the players are doing their absolute best to destroy it all with pissweak garbage, soulless performances.

If they felt how we feel about this club, if they were as proud of the jumper as we are, they would never perform with such utter disrespect to everything this club used to stand for. They have destroyed the optimism, the pride, the joy I used to get from going to the footy.

Maybe it's just a bunch of cliches, bleeding for the jumper and all that, but I've long stopped hoping for real success. All I want is to see a bunch of players who actually care, and to stop feeling so utterly hopeless and so incredibly ashamed to be a Melbourne supporter.

The last time I felt proud leaving a match, was when we came back to beat Brisbane and Aussie kicked the sealer. Ironically, the same opponent today ripped us to shreds and made me think that maybe I'll never feel this way again.

Chin up Jaded.

Sure we'll get reamed next week, that's inevitable, but we always put in a decent performance against the Tiges. Maybe Round 3 will bring a glimmer of hope. Just a glimmer would be nice.

We will lose to Richmond in round three. That's virtually a science fact.

No, we'll turn it around and win by 80 points and everyone will be singing our praises again.

Then we'll get flogged again in round 4.

Guest melbman

I don't know why everyone is so disappointed, it's just the NAB cup. Everyone knows pre season form is meaningless, oh.... hang on.........

On another note, with Neeld stating that all under performing players would be dropped for the West Coast game, Magner was asked how he felt about that. He replied that "While I understand the coaches stance, I'm just not sure how I will go taking to the field on my own next week" Boom tish!

On a more serious note, our ability to get first touch of the clearance ball is completely absent. I was watching that aspect all game, as I have since about 2006 and just can't understand how we can get that basic tenant of footy so wrong for so long. Good teams do it so easily, while we chase our own asses.

A graph of Melbourne supporter happiness would show the occasional positive blips during the season, a jump at draft time, ever growing optimism during the cricket season and back to almost flatline again come March, and then repeated on an infinite 12 month cycle

• Like 1

On another note, with Neeld stating that all under performing players would be dropped for the West Coast game, Magner was asked how he felt about that. He replied that "While I understand the coaches stance, I'm just not sure how I will go taking to the field on my own next week" Boom tish!

hahaha...

I have a mental image of Magner, Trengove and Watts running through the banner on their own.

Ah well, gotta laugh right?

Either that or drink to excess.

Edited by P_Man

This post is the most depressing part of today. A soul-crushing performance to the extent that it has drawn a pessimistic and frustrated post out of our resident optimist.

All parts of our club need to face the reality that our midfield is disgusting. This is not new information. It needs some serious fixing, and whether that comes from trialling other players like Watts in there, through the draft, trading, differing styles or other means, it needs a complete reboot. I kept muttering "Win a clearance" today like a deranged man, and realised I've been saying the same thing for years, but little has changed. The game plan was utterly predictable, but I need to see it in action when we aren't getting skewered like a pig in the middle of the ground. Our limited and stagnant forward entries certainly didn't help.

I can't believe it's still only March and my post-game attention went straight to the November draft. Depressing.

Sorry pantaloons that I have depressed you even further. Yes, I do try and look on the bright side but today was an absolutely shocking effort by the team we love. Maybe tomorrow I will be my happy self again.

I came home strangely calm after watching that pi$sweak effort.

Maybe after the emotion of last Tuesday week I realise there are just far more important things in life than footy.

Maybe it's because after over 40 years of giving my heart and soul to this club that I'm not overly surprised we continually deliver crap like we did today.

The most concerning part for me is just how far ahead of us all the other teams that have been rebuilding at the same time as us are.

Shows just how important getting that number 1 draft pick is. We chose Watts and $cummy, and Trengove as number 2. Carlton have Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer. That's the difference, and why we won't win a flag unless we bottom out again sadly. Fcuk it.

This is Rockliff who slipped to the PSD because nobody wanted him in the ND right? The guy who, If I recall, topped the goalkicking in the U18 carnival but was apparently too small for a forward and too slow for a mid. That he went that low is a damning indictment on every recruiter in the country. He was always going to be a star.

We should've picked Darling...

• Like 1

Neeld has done a lot of talking, a lot of tough talking, but today has was responsible for leading 22 players and in his own words, 18 failed miserably.

He has a lot to do before I give a crap about his tough press conferences. The easiest thing to do is talk tough. I want to see whether that actually translates to tough on field performances this century.

This.

Felt to me like he was blaming the players for something that is mostly HIS fault. Isn't it the coaches job to have a suitable gameplan? Then to teach that gameplan effectively? Then to motivate the players? Then (god forbid) make relevant changes during the match, especially if we're getting pantsed?!

I'm already concerned about this "style" of football Neeld is bringing. Does it suit our list or is he just forcing what he knows on a group not suited to that one idea he has?

Time will tell I guess, but man am I sick of giving this team my time.

• Like 4

This.

Felt to me like he was blaming the players for something that is mostly HIS fault. Isn't it the coaches job to have a suitable gameplan? Then to teach that gameplan effectively? Then to motivate the players? Then (god forbid) make relevant changes during the match, especially if we're getting pantsed?!

I'm already concerned about this "style" of football Neeld is bringing. Does it suit our list or is he just forcing what he knows on a group not suited to that one idea he has?

Time will tell I guess, but man am I sick of giving this team my time.

I am far more concerned about our list compared to what the coach plans to do.

I am far more concerned about our list compared to what the coach plans to do.

I felt really positive about our list going into this year, and I know it's only the first game etc, but yeah it's a really bland looking list now isn't it?

After today, neither the list or the coach seem any chop to me.

I felt really positive about our list going into this year, and I know it's only the first game etc, but yeah it's a really bland looking list now isn't it?

After today, neither the list or the coach seem any chop to me.

I want the club to back the coach 100% to change the soft attitude we have on our list. The recruiting over the last 5 years staggers me.

The list is atrocious and like it or not we are going to have to rebuild again. Now we're going to potentially be coming into our window when GCS and GWS are entering theirs. Good luck to us hey?