Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC Senior players.

olisik

Our senior players get hung out to dry because Bailey thought it would be a good idea to limit the amount of senior players we have due to the fact he and many of us would have thought our younger brigade would have improved far more then they have. Beamer and Jones are probably our 2 best midfielders which means against good teams we get smashed by their midfielders every time because those 2 are not A grade midfielders they bust their butts but they are not A grade which means they need help and are not getting it because so many of our younger players are still "Developing" as they say.

Now we can Understand why the Cats fans were running out of Patience with Bomba Thompson as coach around 2005ish.

It takes time to renew a list on the Slow Cooker, better but takes a lot of Patience from the Fans,,,,, Bur also from the Board, to allow the Footy Dept time to develop the List they require to go all the way.

We rebuilt in record time so we are way short of games & Developed Experience...

I'd rather do it the way we've done it. And now develop the kids slowly into Topliners. But it will take another 12 - 18 months to start to show on the Ladder... and another 2 years on top of that to get to playing Elite AFL Footy. (Top 6)

I can't disagree with that, however I also think it's important to allow the senior players redemption under a new coach and regime

I'd like to see some urgency and grunt from them .. FWIW , at this very sad time, I'd love them to embrace the underlying message from Jim's book which has been missing in recent years - "Whatever it Takes"

I think a Sylvia for Caddy trade would work a charm.

Would benefit us as Sylvia dosn't have the motivation at the Dees and has 2 or 3 decent games per season.

Would benefit the Gold Coast with Sylvia in the midfield with Ablett and Swollow.

Would benefit Caddy as he would get to come home.

Scott Clayton and the Gold Coast FD would need to be drug tested if they went for that one.

• Like 1

Scott Clayton and the Gold Coast FD would need to be drug tested if they went for that one.

Agree.

It's very easy to compare Slyvia and Travis Johnstone.

I should shop Slyvia around at the end of this year.

One was a talented footballer that delivered infrequently but when he did his performance at the top level was top shelf. The other was pick no 3 in the 2003 draft and has delivered little but "potential".

If he plays well this year then he is a keep. If he has a bad year then his currency would be poor with other Clubs.

Probably a couple of years too late.

Sylvia has trade value? when? I cant think of a year he has absolutely delivered on the "potential".

Maybe we can con Carlton into taking Sylvia, it worked with Brock.

We just have to convince them we don't want to lose him.

• Like 1

Now we can Understand why the Cats fans were running out of Patience with Bomba Thompson as coach around 2005ish.

It takes time to renew a list on the Slow Cooker, better but takes a lot of Patience from the Fans,,,,, Bur also from the Board, to allow the Footy Dept time to develop the List they require to go all the way.

We rebuilt in record time so we are way short of games & Developed Experience...

I'd rather do it the way we've done it. And now develop the kids slowly into Topliners. But it will take another 12 - 18 months to start to show on the Ladder... and another 2 years on top of that to get to playing Elite AFL Footy. (Top 6)

I agree, but with that comes the harsh fact that our senior players get no support from the younger players right now and it leads to the discussions of trades and de listing's that I have read on this thread.

Sylvia

Green

Davey

Bate

Dunn

Jetta

Spencer

and probably several others will hopefully all be gone at years end.

Roost it you list 7 players above so if your "several others" mean s seven.

You are going to delist / trade 14 players!

You are dreaming were are you going to get 14 players to replace them of at least equal ability?

• Like 1

Agree.

Sylvia has trade value? when? I cant think of a year he has absolutely delivered on the "potential".

He may have had some trade value when another club thought they could turn him around, make something of him, develop his potential but the further he goes the less likely that is.

In fact juniors come on quicker when they have a strong core of senior players around them.

not entirely true...some of Geelongs senior players are champions/match winners etc.

Our senior players are just other players that wouldn't get a match for the cats...only Jamar, Mitch Clark and Frawley would get a game for the cats..imo

He may have had some trade value when another club thought they could turn him around, make something of him, develop his potential but the further he goes the less likely that is.

But that club wont offer that future value of Sylvia at the trade table. They will seek to get him cut price based on what he has delivered to date.

But that club wont offer that future value of Sylvia at the trade table. They will seek to get him cut price based on what he has delivered to date.

Sylvia has the goods, just not the attitude. He can be turned around but possibly not at the Dees.

Other teams may see this and be prepared to take him on as part of a trade package. He is in the Dees best 22, he wouldn't be considered a fringe player at the trade table.

I know it is early in the year and most demonlanders will probably disagree or throw in the usual 'Its just the start of the season' comments but i wanted to ask what peoples opinions would be of trying to trade off some senior players at seasons end if they dont pull there weight this year.

Players like Sylvia, Davey maybe Rivers can be a class acts if they are motivated right with the right game-plan and team mates who protect them.

I have always felt that the reason that they possibly do struggle is because there are not many/enough senior players for them to work together and protect each other, and that there never will be for these boys at the MFC.

It seems evident that these players careers are on the balance at the moment at the MFC when they could be flourishing elsewhere, and that they could have some good trade value seasons end. Possibly pick up some 2nd round draft picks in the super draft, or pick up a player who could grow with the rest of the crop who are coming through. I saw on bigfooty someone suggested a Sylvia for Caddy trade for example.

Long term I think it would be better as I can't see any of the current senior players becoming a premiership player at the MFC at the moment sadly.

People overestimate well and truly what our players are worth to other clubs. Do you really think Davey or Green will be worth much to other clubs if they have another poor year at the Dees? I mean, cmon. They won't be worth a cracker. Particularly given this draft is being touted as the best of all time.

As the say in the Castle, ' you're dreamin'....

Sylvia has the goods, just not the attitude. He can be turned around but possibly not at the Dees.

Other teams may see this and be prepared to take him on as part of a trade package. He is in the Dees best 22, he wouldn't be considered a fringe player at the trade table.

Being in the Dees best 22 may not be that much of an indication of his worth olisik.

Last year he finished 11th in the B & F, in a year when the Dees were terrible.

Not much of recomendation.

He will miss at least the first 5 games, then take a couple to get back in, 2012 may not be a great year for him to show his worth.

I think he will be at the Dees in 2013 because we will get very little for him even if we do put him on the market

How do you know he has the goods? In 8 seasons thus far, he has delivered only potential with a couple of late nights thrown. At the moment he is hype and other teams will discount his value accordingly. They wont pay over the odds for him. And being best 22 in a bottom rung side is hardly trade bait material

How do you know he has the goods? In 8 seasons thus far, he has delivered only potential with a couple of late nights thrown. At the moment he is hype and other teams will discount his value accordingly. They wont pay over the odds for him. And being best 22 in a bottom rung side is hardly trade bait material

Sylvia has shown he has the goods, look at the Richmond game last year for example, he just hasn't shown he has the goods on a consistent basis.

The point of this thread was to suggest solutions for the future of the senior group.

Are you suggesting to just hang onto them regardless because there trade value wont be good? Because its either that or de-list them and get nothing if you don't want to trade them.

The team will need to make space at the end of the year, so i would prefer to get something as little as it be then hang onto a player who has had 8 years experience and can't find consistency or to de-list players and get nothing.

Sylvia has the ability, the question is consistency.

Its the overall grunt that worries me, the ability to apply & withstand pressure. Last year's "bruise free" comment was an indictment on application and commitment.

And leadership from senior players notwithstanding, it is time that other players taken as Top 20 picks - Morton, Watts, Tapscott, Strauss, Blease, Cook, Gysberts - step up and deliver on a consistent basis, just as Trengove, Grimes & Frawley have and do. It is not an unreasonable expectation.

We in agreement. Sylvia has shown he has the goods....in one game....against a bottom 8 club.

The challenge we have with the senior group is that not many of them have a future past their final contract. Sylvia is a conundrum. If he performs then we should keep him. If he doesn't he is not getting much at the trade table. (I'd love a Brock McLean deal but they come only once in a while). And if dont get much for him at the trade table are we not better off seeing if we can get some value out of him remembering he will only have had one injury plagued year under Neeld?

At year end the following players are out of contract and I believe under the gun if they dont play well....Jetta, Spencer,Sellar,Bate, Dunn, Green and MacDonald (I think) . It depend on how many players the Club will take at year end and how many of my list have not performed. Its interesting you are so ready to clear out a player you think has got the goods.

Yes RR that's exactly what I am saying, maybe not clearly enough.