Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Jack

I'm surprised to see that there's no NBA thread.

Admittedly there's a pretty poor showing from the Australian contingent at the moment and it's been getting worse over the last few years. Andrew Bogut (I think he was in All Star form a few years back until that cheap nudge from Stoudemire caused him horrific injuries. Sadly he hasn't been himself since) is our only Aussie in the league and he's currently out injured. Last year we had Patty Mills in PTown and the year before there was David Anderson and Nathan Jawai.

So beyond following any team that's got an Aussie listed player I find myself having a soft spot for the Detroit Pistons, and, to a lesser extent, the New jersey Nets.

Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight look like some good young players that'll take them places in a few years time.

Can the Nets hold on to DWill and possibly snare Dwight Howard?

The trade deadline isn't far off now so it'll be interesting to see if any big deals go through.

Beyond Miami, Chicago and OKC I can't really see anyone else challenging for the title this year.

And now that Linsanity has started to die down, what'll become of the Knicks? Not that I'm a big fan of theirs but with so many big names in the team I think they should be doing better.

Thoughts?

I'm surprised to see that there's no NBA thread.

Admittedly there's a pretty poor showing from the Australian contingent at the moment and it's been getting worse over the last few years. Andrew Bogut (I think he was in All Star form a few years back until that cheap nudge from Stoudemire caused him horrific injuries. Sadly he hasn't been himself since) is our only Aussie in the league and he's currently out injured. Last year we had Patty Mills in PTown and the year before there was David Anderson and Nathan Jawai.

So beyond following any team that's got an Aussie listed player I find myself having a soft spot for the Detroit Pistons, and, to a lesser extent, the New jersey Nets.

Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight look like some good young players that'll take them places in a few years time.

Can the Nets hold on to DWill and possibly snare Dwight Howard?

The trade deadline isn't far off now so it'll be interesting to see if any big deals go through.

Beyond Miami, Chicago and OKC I can't really see anyone else challenging for the title this year.

And now that Linsanity has started to die down, what'll become of the Knicks? Not that I'm a big fan of theirs but with so many big names in the team I think they should be doing better.

Thoughts?

I like watching the games JJ but don't really have a team .

Saw Steve Nash live at the Sydney Olympics when he represented Canada vs the Boomers . He was awesome . So ...............I have a bit of a look at how the Phoenix Suns are travelling from time to time .

It's a bit like the EPL for me , just like watching the big match-ups . Probably stay that way as well . Don't dislike any of the teams and don't have any favourites . The sport itself can be great at times . Especially around the play-off's .

Espn have got the Miami/Chicago game on this Thursday around noon . Espn's Saturday lunchtime game is San Antonio/Oklahoma City ! Couple of beauty's there .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

I like watching the games JJ but don't really have a team .

Yeah, admittedly I'm not a big fan of their soft salary cap. Definately favours the big market teams, so it's not really a level playing field.

Breaking news is that Andrew Bogut has been traded to the Golden State Warriors.

Well the news is we've got another Aussie in the NBA. After finally being released by his Chinese team, Patty Mills rights were then renounced by the Blazers, leaving him as a free agent. He's just signed up with the San Antonio Spurs, who are currently running 2nd in the western conference.

It will be interesting to see how much game time he'll get.

Well the news is we've got another Aussie in the NBA. After finally being released by his Chinese team, Patty Mills rights were then renounced by the Blazers, leaving him as a free agent. He's just signed up with the San Antonio Spurs, who are currently running 2nd in the western conference.

It will be interesting to see how much game time he'll get.

Well done to Patty Mills . Right place , right time ?

Andrew Gaze got a championship ring with the Spurs back in the late 90's . I vaguely remember seeing him in those open top cars , being showered with adulation etc . Didn't matter that he didn't get that many minutes .

It doesn't get brought up much and some don't believe it but one things for sure - they can't take it off him !

Cheers

Well done to Patty Mills . Right place , right time ?

Andrew Gaze got a championship ring with the Spurs back in the late 90's . I vaguely remember seeing him in those open top cars , being showered with adulation etc . Didn't matter that he didn't get that many minutes .

It doesn't get brought up much and some don't believe it but one things for sure - they can't take it off him !

Cheers

I'm not sure he even touched the ball in the playoffs. But as long as you're on the roster, you get a ring. I'm lead to believe even the coaching and administration staff get rings. They certainly do things differently over there huh?

I hope to see Patty get some court time. Fingers are crossed.

I'm not sure he even touched the ball in the playoffs. But as long as you're on the roster, you get a ring. I'm lead to believe even the coaching and administration staff get rings. They certainly do things differently over there huh?

I hope to see Patty get some court time. Fingers are crossed.

I like the way the Americans reward everybody who contributes to a successful season (however small) . By the way , I don't always agree with how they go about things but on that one , definately .

Their attitude to drugs in sport ended up being a bit embarrassing . Now , they're getting much tougher on drugs . And rightly so .

Got a tip this early out for the Championship ? I'm gonna be boring and tip Miami !

Cheers JJ

I like the way the Americans reward everybody who contributes to a successful season (however small) . By the way , I don't always agree with how they go about things but on that one , definately .

Their attitude to drugs in sport ended up being a bit embarrassing . Now , they're getting much tougher on drugs . And rightly so .

Got a tip this early out for the Championship ? I'm gonna be boring and tip Miami !

Cheers JJ

Hmm, I guess it's fair enough that any of the players that contributed to the season get rewarded. Coaches, maybe. Administration, probably not.

Miami are certainly up there. Chicago could go the whole way if guys like Boozer can make significant contributions in the finals, otherwise they're relying too heavily on Rose. I think those two will definitely be playing off for the Eastern Conference finals. Orlando always have a great regular season record, but I reckon they rely too heavily on their perimeter shooting.

The Lakers have made a few moves at the trade deadline that could work out for them, but are struggling for time for the team to gel in this shortened season. OKC would have to be in with a chance. And the Spurs are up there again, Tony Parker has had an incredible season so far. The Western Conference is fairly open.

But you're right, barring any major injuries I think the Heat are short odds to win the championship. Chicago I think will be their major hurdle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I guess it's fair enough that any of the players that contributed to the season get rewarded. Coaches, maybe. Administration, probably not.

Miami are certainly up there. Chicago could go the whole way if guys like Boozer can make significant contributions in the finals, otherwise they're relying too heavily on Rose. I think those two will definitely be playing off for the Eastern Conference finals. Orlando always have a great regular season record, but I reckon they rely too heavily on their perimeter shooting.

The Lakers have made a few moves at the trade deadline that could work out for them, but are struggling for time for the team to gel in this shortened season. OKC would have to be in with a chance. And the Spurs are up there again, Tony Parker has had an incredible season so far. The Western Conference is fairly open.

But you're right, barring any major injuries I think the Heat are short odds to win the championship. Chicago I think will be their major hurdle.

Well , we're getting to the pointy end of the season JJ and it looks like Chicago and Miami have got the top 2 seeds stitched up in the Eastern Conference . And can the Knicks hold on ? Milwaukee have won 7 of their last 10 and are a bit of a chance .

In the Western conference Oklahoma City and the Spurs look like they'll be the 1 and 2 seeds going into the playoffs . I'm still holding out hope for the Suns ( who've recovered well ) . It's fairly tight from 4th down to 10th with Utah on a bit of a run .

Tomorrows ESPN game is the Magic @ New York whilst Saturdays ESPN game is Portland @ the Clippers .

Here are the standings ....................

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

Edit : Hey JJ , with Detroit and New Jersey unlikely , have you got a team or 2 you're likely to follow in the playoffs ? And anybody else out there in the wonderful world of 'Demonland' got a team ? If the Suns don't make I'll be hoping Chicago , Dallas or the Clippers do well . Though I still think Miami will win the thing .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

Not a huge fan on basketball, but happy with any team other than Miami winning it. Not a fan of Bosh, Wade or Lebron.

There's a great joke about Lebron that's been going around since his performance in last year's playoffs: A homeless man was begging on the street and asked Lebron James for a dollar. Lebron gave him 75 cents. As usual, he didn't have the last quarter.

Edited by Good Times Grimes

Not a huge fan on basketball, but happy with any team other than Miami winning it. Not a fan of Bosh, Wade or Lebron.

There's a great joke about Lebron that's been going around since his performance in last year's playoffs: A homeless man was begging on the street and asked Lebron James for a dollar. Lebron gave him 75 cents. As usual, he didn't have the last quarter.

Yeah, he seems to be a bit of a head case in the home stretch. It's strange to see such doubt or uncertainty from someone with "Chosen 1" inked on his back.

Well , we're getting to the pointy end of the season JJ and it looks like Chicago and Miami have got the top 2 seeds stitched up in the Eastern Conference . And can the Knicks hold on ? Milwaukee have won 7 of their last 10 and are a bit of a chance .

In the Western conference Oklahoma City and the Spurs look like they'll be the 1 and 2 seeds going into the playoffs . I'm still holding out hope for the Suns ( who've recovered well ) . It's fairly tight from 4th down to 10th with Utah on a bit of a run .

Tomorrows ESPN game is the Magic @ New York whilst Saturdays ESPN game is Portland @ the Clippers .

Here are the standings ....................

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

Edit : Hey JJ , with Detroit and New Jersey unlikely , have you got a team or 2 you're likely to follow in the playoffs ? And anybody else out there in the wonderful world of 'Demonland' got a team ? If the Suns don't make I'll be hoping Chicago , Dallas or the Clippers do well . Though I still think Miami will win the thing .

Cheers

For leagues like the NBA I think you have to support your fellow countryman above any other personal allegiance. The fact that NJ & Detroit are out of the race makes it a lot easier for me.

Golden State aren't likely to make the playoffs and Bogut isn't likely to play for them this year, so they're out.

Patty Mills finally got signed and played his first minutes for the Spurs yesterday (The US should love Australia, thanks to us they know that there's always a tomorrow). Tim Duncan has been great this year and Tony Parker is having a career year. Ginobili is making his was back from injury. There's much to like. So I'll be "rooting" for San Antonio. I think they've got a pretty good chance.

I think it's been recently reported that Stoudemire may be out for the season (or at least an extended period) with a bulging disc. That's certainly not going to help NYK. I haven't checked the schedule but it's been reported that the Bucks have a softer run home, Monta Ellis I think has invigourated the team. I'd pick them over NYK to make the playoffs.

Edited by Jack Jack

I should also add that the Cavaliers and overall no 1 draft pick from last year, Kyrie Irving, holds dual citizenship, US & Oz. He was born in Oz while his dad played for a few seasons in the NBL, can't remember for who.

But I don't think the Cavs will make the playoffs, so I won't have to agonise over whether he's really an Aussie or not.

Yep. Few things get to me more than cocky athletes. Lebron is one. Didak is another.

Yes, it certainly makes it easier to stomach the money some of these guys are making when they are humble and gracious.

I should also add that the Cavaliers and overall no 1 draft pick from last year, Kyrie Irving, holds dual citizenship, US & Oz. He was born in Oz while his dad played for a few seasons in the NBL, can't remember for who.

But I don't think the Cavs will make the playoffs, so I won't have to agonise over whether he's really an Aussie or not.

Not sure if I'm comitting a serious faux pas by replying to my own post.

Recently Kyrie Irving has declined the opportunity to represent Australia in the Olympics next year. As it is any true Australians dream to represent their country I can only cunclude that he is not a true Aussie. Problem solvered.

For leagues like the NBA I think you have to support your fellow countryman above any other personal allegiance.

No chance here. I've been a Laker since 1989 and they're the only sporting team I follow that I've seen win a championship. If we eliminated Mills, Bogut, Andersen and Jawai's carcass in the playoffs en route to the championship I couldn't be happier. It didn't take me long to fall in love with the history and tradition of the Lakers and, like with Melbourne, the origin of our players is less important than the jersey/guernsey.

As for Kyrie Irving, I wondered when he made the decision what I'd do if in his shoes. My biggest concern would be figuring out which country I felt the greatest allegiance to. Obviously, then he has to decide between being a borderline selection for a country that will win the gold medal every Olympics, or the starting PG for a country that will finish 4-16. It would have been nice though!

No chance here. I've been a Laker since 1989 and they're the only sporting team I follow that I've seen win a championship. If we eliminated Mills, Bogut, Andersen and Jawai's carcass in the playoffs en route to the championship I couldn't be happier. It didn't take me long to fall in love with the history and tradition of the Lakers and, like with Melbourne, the origin of our players is less important than the jersey/guernsey.

As for Kyrie Irving, I wondered when he made the decision what I'd do if in his shoes. My biggest concern would be figuring out which country I felt the greatest allegiance to. Obviously, then he has to decide between being a borderline selection for a country that will win the gold medal every Olympics, or the starting PG for a country that will finish 4-16. It would have been nice though!

Anderson and Jawai are no longer in the league, so you can cross them off. Bogut is unlikely to play this season and GSW are even less likely to make the playoffs, another one down. Patty Mills and the Spurs on the other hand look like they are capable of going deep into the playoffs, and may even meet the Lakers in the second round. Maybe you could think of it as a win-win situation?

The Lakers have done well to get Sessions. He's been good for them so far.

I find the LA Lakers to be a curious one. They must be one of the most recognisable teams in the world, one of the highest followed teams in one of the most iconic cities in the world. But the original team was the Minneapolis Lakers, named after the city of lakes or the state of 1000 lakes (or something like that). Why didn't they change their name to something relevant to LA? Or is it relevant to LA? I always found that a bit funny for some reason.

From what I've read on the Irving situation is that he's been assured of a spot in the following Olympics.

Just discovered this thread! Still love the NBA. Its a bit more palatable this year with a shortened schedule too, the normal season is just too long for mine, 82 games! Not as bad as the MLB I guess.

I'm a Spurs man, have been since The Admiral got drafted and I decided I needed a team so thats how I chose Spurs. Great to see Patty Mills getting some court time and hit 7 points yesterday for SA. The Spurs and Thunder are clearly the teams to beat out West, the Spurs will be keen to atone for last years first round ousting after being #1 seed at the hands of Memphis.

In the East, its pretty clear Chicago and Miami are the two standouts.

Some of the rookie class from this year have been pretty good too, Irving as mentioned and Ricky Rubio, although now done for the year with injury, was a joy to watch with his sublime passing game.

Roll on the playoffs!

Anderson and Jawai are no longer in the league, so you can cross them off. Bogut is unlikely to play this season and GSW are even less likely to make the playoffs, another one down. Patty Mills and the Spurs on the other hand look like they are capable of going deep into the playoffs, and may even meet the Lakers in the second round. Maybe you could think of it as a win-win situation?

The Lakers have done well to get Sessions. He's been good for them so far.

I find the LA Lakers to be a curious one. They must be one of the most recognisable teams in the world, one of the highest followed teams in one of the most iconic cities in the world. But the original team was the Minneapolis Lakers, named after the city of lakes or the state of 1000 lakes (or something like that). Why didn't they change their name to something relevant to LA? Or is it relevant to LA? I always found that a bit funny for some reason.

From what I've read on the Irving situation is that he's been assured of a spot in the following Olympics.

I was being a bit facetious with the Aussies - it was a hypothetical. We're not going to win anything this season. And no, losing to Patty Mills is not a win-win any more than losing to Collingwood in a final would be a win-win because Pendlebury used to go for Melbourne.

Sessions should be a good pickup, but we've been rubbish since acquiring him. Losing Fisher to dump his salary was a joke. His experience and leadership were invaluable.

As for the Laker nickname, yes, it is quirky. That said, it's in keeping with most relocations where the history is retained (Sydney Swans, Calgary Flames, Utah Jazz [thoroughly ironic], LA Dodgers and so on). Keeping the Lakers name brought with it the 5 championships won in Minneapolis, and a recognisable brand as the most successful team in brief history of the NBA.

Just discovered this thread! Still love the NBA. Its a bit more palatable this year with a shortened schedule too, the normal season is just too long for mine, 82 games! Not as bad as the MLB I guess.

I'm a Spurs man, have been since The Admiral got drafted and I decided I needed a team so thats how I chose Spurs. Great to see Patty Mills getting some court time and hit 7 points yesterday for SA. The Spurs and Thunder are clearly the teams to beat out West, the Spurs will be keen to atone for last years first round ousting after being #1 seed at the hands of Memphis.

In the East, its pretty clear Chicago and Miami are the two standouts.

Some of the rookie class from this year have been pretty good too, Irving as mentioned and Ricky Rubio, although now done for the year with injury, was a joy to watch with his sublime passing game.

Roll on the playoffs!

Rubio is a gem. Timberwolves will be great to watch next season when he comes back.

Carn the Spurs!

I was being a bit facetious with the Aussies - it was a hypothetical. We're not going to win anything this season. And no, losing to Patty Mills is not a win-win any more than losing to Collingwood in a final would be a win-win because Pendlebury used to go for Melbourne.

Sessions should be a good pickup, but we've been rubbish since acquiring him. Losing Fisher to dump his salary was a joke. His experience and leadership were invaluable.

As for the Laker nickname, yes, it is quirky. That said, it's in keeping with most relocations where the history is retained (Sydney Swans, Calgary Flames, Utah Jazz [thoroughly ironic], LA Dodgers and so on). Keeping the Lakers name brought with it the 5 championships won in Minneapolis, and a recognisable brand as the most successful team in brief history of the NBA.

I'm a bit of a swing voter when it comes to NBA teams, so it's an easy thing for me to shift my allegiances. There's some teams I like more than others, but generally I just find it entertaining to watch. Some of the stuff these guys are capable of is just amazing.

Yes, sending Fisher to a Western Conference rival certainly could blow up in their face. I would have thought that giving away Odom was a far worse decision, although he's not exactly lighting it up in Dallas.

I guess it's a bit hit and miss with the team names. There's probably a good reason why OKC are the Thunder and not the Super Sonics. I just don't know what it is.

Edit: Although it was a pretty messy ending for the Sonics. That may have something to do with it.

Edited by Jack Jack

Going to go on a limb here and say the Grizzlies will at least make the Conference Finals. A lot of depth. Miami to win it all, as much as I hate to say it. (I hate bandwagon [censored]. Miami, OKC, most of Lakers, some Boston, some Chicago, some New York )

As far as my team goes, it's in the same situation as Melbourne... Sacramento Kings, looking on the up and up with DeMarcus Cousins and Tyreke Evans. The only thing that is standing between us and playoffs is experience and our retarded coach. Also, every time I see a Lakers fan I want to punch them (2002 conference finals, wasn't the Lakers fault, but still.)

Also, every time I see a Lakers fan I want to punch them (2002 conference finals, wasn't the Lakers fault, but still.)

Punch Vlade Divac for swatting the ball out to the most clutch player in NBA history in Game 4. Look, as a Melbourne supporter, I can sympathise. The Lakers have had our fair share of heartbreaking defeats - a string of them against Boston in the 60s, Willis Reed in the 70s, the clothesline series in 1984, losing as favourites in 2004, Boston's record comeback in 08 - but because we've been making the Finals on average every second year, there are always chances to redeem ourselves, and I've seen us win plenty so the memory of some genuinely heartbreaking defeats don't sting as much. With Melbourne and Sacramento on the other hand, the chances for glory have been few and far between over the last 40+ years, making the close defeats that much more scrutinised. Had we beaten Hawthorn in 1988, I wouldn't look back at 1987 with the same desire to go into the foetal position every time I think about it.

So yes, we got the benefit of a lot of calls in Game 6 in 2002 (though we certainly didn't get the best of it when we lost by a point in Game 5). This was a series when we had the best of the refereeing in a tight series, and in the end that was one facet that helped make the difference (as did Game 4's crazy finish and LA's experience at the end of Game 7). Again, we've had some favourable games from officials, and some ones where we've copped the opposite (stretches of the 04 Finals, Game 2 of the 08 Finals off the top of my head), but if you're up there long enough it usually evens out. Unfortunately, the rivalry with Sacramento didn't last long enough. The Kings just needed to hold on a little longer as our days of dominance with that particular team ended that season.

What made you pick the Kings, Tankey?

What made you pick the Kings, Tankey?

I wanted to go for a Californian team, but the Lakers were too original, never liked the clippers, and it might sound stupid, but I thought the warriors jerseys were ugly. It might sound like I hate Lakers fans with a passion, but I just hate the bandwagon ones. For instance, my friend is a Lakers fan and asked me last week: How many points did Shannon Brown score? Shannon Brown got traded to the Suns before the season started...

I wanted to go for a Californian team, but the Lakers were too original, never liked the clippers, and it might sound stupid, but I thought the warriors jerseys were ugly. It might sound like I hate Lakers fans with a passion, but I just hate the bandwagon ones. For instance, my friend is a Lakers fan and asked me last week: How many points did Shannon Brown score? Shannon Brown got traded to the Suns before the season started...

Nice. Hey - feel free to hate us! Having teams to loathe adds to it all. It's my birthright as a Laker fan to hate the Celtics, and vice versa for Boston fans. At least Sacramento is less than a couple of hours from San Francisco so if you ever wanted to catch a game while on holidays its a quick car ride from a popular destination. I chose LA because in Grade 5, someone brought a Lakers basketball to school, so I decided that would be my team!! Had no idea at the time what they were like or where Los Angeles was! Thankfully given LA's location I've been able to get over there a few times and catch a few games. Bandwagoners are the bane of genuine fans of a team. If Melbourne ever make a Grand Final again, watch as most Demonlanders can't get a ticket due to bandwagoners and corporates lapping them up. Shannon Brown unfortunately left as a free agent. He and LA were good for each other - he got to make a name for himself, win two rings and establish a career, while his energy and athleticism were very useful for the Lakers, particularly in the second championship run. I don't grudge him going for a little bit more money one bit.

Mills' hard hard work over the years is paying off.

Used to regularly watch the NBA on SBS way back when. Loved it.

Haven't watched a game in quite a while now though and couldn't tell you more than half a dozen player names league wide.

The important names haven't been forgotten. Dumars, Thomas, Laimbeer, Rodman, Edwards, Aguirre.