Rohan Bail

Lil_red_fire_engine

Stunk yesterday but we persevere...

Good the week before.

Agree with that.

Was ordinary in the first couple of rounds.

There's alot of love here for Bail as pick 60 but he needs to back that up with consistent form. One good match so far this year wont cut the mustard.

and he was crap every week before the saints game

He hit the scoreboard against the Saints, but still had a relatively ordinary game.

I'm a fan though. That said, he should go back to the 2s with Moloney and Sylvia for a week.

"The other area I'd like to see him work on is giving away soft free kicks. He's an aggressive tackler but that doesn't mean tackling high or in the back."

I've noticed quite a few times that his tackling awareness has been a bit out. He often tackles someone when the ball is long gone and gives away a free.

Agreed, although most of our team needs to be smarter when tackling. Moloney gives away free kicks every week for clumsy, dumb tackles. Garland has been a big offender too. Someone needs to get down there and get in their ear about it. The ability to give the quick throw/handball in some situations (Sam Mitchell does this every week, as does Gary Ablett) is something we've never been smart enough to accomplish. Maybe it's confidence, maybe it's clumsiness or both. It's these little things that if we eradicate will bring us one little step closer to become a smarter more competitive football side.

• Like 1

Stunk yesterday but we persevere...

Good the week before.

Normally agree with a lot of what you say rpfc, but not sure I agree with this. Yes, at time his link work against the Saints was good and he hit the scoreboard, but his decision making and skill level hurt him and the team in that match. In my mind he's had a very poor start to the season. That said, once he gains a greater understanding of the game plan, he'll grow in confidence. From there, it's important that the coaching staff remind him that he's one of the few running players we have. He has the ability to be a vital link up player. He has the tank, he's just missing the knowhow at the moment.

Normally agree with a lot of what you say rpfc, but not sure I agree with this. Yes, at time his link work against the Saints was good and he hit the scoreboard, but his decision making and skill level hurt him and the team in that match. In my mind he's had a very poor start to the season. That said, once he gains a greater understanding of the game plan, he'll grow in confidence.

You see the thing is - I agree with you.

But that paragraph you have written applies to everyone bar Jones, Frawley, Rivers, and Clark. We have about 12-14 positions given to out-of-sorts players struggling to adapt or with their own confidence issues.

He hit the scoreboard against the Saints, but still had a relatively ordinary game.

I'm a fan though. That said, he should go back to the 2s with Moloney and Sylvia for a week.

None of them had any impact on Saturday afternoon v the CatsIMO they stay in the twos until they completely dominate and get comfortable with that before moving them back up

FFS La Dee. He kicked 2 goals agaisnt the Saints, prior to that he had kicked 1 goal in 4 games and he has had 2 Goal Assists for the season. He has given away 10 free kicks, but only got 3 in return.

What part of Rohan Bail's game this season has been satisfactory, especially from a stats point of view? Normally I'm not too fussed what sort of picture stats paint, but this lot of figures confirmed that my observations of his game this year has been terrible.

I really do hope he improves and he plays some very good footy in the coming games, otherwise blokes like Blease and Petterd will be pushing him out (hopefully they find form good enough to warrant that).

I appreciate, and have acknowledged that he is not on his own, but this is the Ro Bail thread.

I'm not sure if there are stats to back this up, but my eyes have suggested that he's been a key driver of the ball forward in movements that have resulted in goals. Not often enough, granted, but more than most. If there are stats out there that prove me wrong, so be it.

I remain unconvinced that he is playing in the right position. I believe his best position would be as an outside mid providing that run (sorry, should use the vernacular de jour, "the spread") we so lack.

PS and off topic. But is "spread" the worst piece of football vernacular at the moment?

Bail getting a game is indicative of where we are as a team. He offers nothing - not a good kick - not a good clearance player - not a good tackler or stopper - not good on the spread or attacking. Not even a good ordinary player. Just an ordinary player. Maybe a great guy but won't be a great footballer or a great role player I.e Mackenzie.

75% of our list have gone backwards this year, but Bail perhaps a little more dramatically than most. I thought he had the tools to make a decent AFL footballer with his running ability and work rate, but not at this rate he is not.

Guest José Mourinho

Bail should not get another contract at MFC next year. Not up to standard at all.

I think that's an unfortunate truth.

His lack of penetration on his kicking cost us a goal too.

Edited by José Mourinho

I thought Bail would've taken a step forward under Neeld as he has a good engine, works hard both ways. Always thoght his disposal was a weaker aspect but just struggles to make an impact this year in games. I thin he needs a break to get his form up at Casey for two weeks and then maybe trying to have a more positive impact in the seniors...althought that did Pettard adn Bennel a whole lot of good Friday night....

I thought Bail would've taken a step forward under Neeld as he has a good engine, works hard both ways. Always thoght his disposal was a weaker aspect but just struggles to make an impact this year in games. I thin he needs a break to get his form up at Casey for two weeks and then maybe trying to have a more positive impact in the seniors...althought that did Pettard adn Bennel a whole lot of good Friday night....

If you are not good enough Crackers no amount of games at Casey is going to change that fact.

Bail, Bennel and Pettard are looking doubtful starters beyond 2012 at present.

Personally I have never rated him.

Can't kick, makes horrendous decisions with the ball in hand, can't think his way through in game situations and defensively poor.

He typifies our current predicament, we are a dumb footy side with poor skills.

You see the thing is - I agree with you.

But that paragraph you have written applies to everyone bar Jones, Frawley, Rivers, and Clark. We have about 12-14 positions given to out-of-sorts players struggling to adapt or with their own confidence issues.

Probably true, except wouldn't have Rivers on that list.

Thought he showed promise early in his career, but like so many barre him at our club has been in decline. Hope he has some injury because he looks to me to have lost a yard, and he looked exhausted early in Fridays game. Without time and space he dosen't seem to have the skills. Modern footy, and pressure all over the ground has been his enemy. Like his team mates needs to show something when times are tough. Luckily for him, he is on the list and times are as tough as they will get. He also doesn't have great competition for his spot. Weather he deserves it or not he has an opportunity, hope he takes it.

Go Dees

Bail should not get another contract at MFC next year. Not up to standard at all.

That seems far fetched to me. Definitely had another pants game no doubt and should struggle to hold his spot, but we've seen enough in the past to know there's something to work with. If we delisted every player who hasn't been up to standard this year we'd end up with 8 players on the list at years end.

You seem to have your grumpy pants on this year Rhino!

• Like 1

That seems far fetched to me. Definitely had another pants game no doubt and should struggle to hold his spot, but we've seen enough in the past to know there's something to work with. If we delisted every player who hasn't been up to standard this year we'd end up with 8 players on the list at years end.

Nasher I have seen him play some useful games however I cannot remember a game where I would have said he was in our top three.

Useful player when at his best but I just do not see him as a valuable finals type player.

I agree with RR unless he puts in some good ones in the next dozen games I doubt he is worth another contract.

Bail has been very lucky in the games he has played imo. Many times he has tackled an opposition player and continued to hold onto them and taken them out of the play, Trengove is in the same boat (just less often). If i was umpiring, i would have penalised him much more than he has been (if at all) and as such continues to get away with it.

Guest José Mourinho

I think he doesn't have the body, nor the inclination to win a lot of contested football.

His value is mainly in being a running link player.

And while his skillset is valuable at times, I think he'd need to have better disposal to make him worth really persevering with.

If we're building a team for battling it out in contested finals footy mayhem, I'm not sure that Bail would stand up.

Not definitively counting him out, but I'm not confident for his future on the list.

Not sure why he's been gifted all these games to be honest. He makes some extremely poor decisions with the ball.

Again, I can name 5 or 6 players who I think haven't been 'gifted' a few games this year...

Gotta play somebody.

Edited by rpfc