Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

An aid to recruiting

Whispering_Jack

It's January 2012 and the players are training their butts off for the coming season.  The Demons have just lost the man who has, for the past four years, been in charge of rebuilding their talent-laden young list and, at this point in time, we have no national recruiting manager.

Is this our worst nightmare and a time to panic?

No way! 

If Phil Scully can get paid $100k to be a recruiting scout then I'm prepared to do it for nothing and come to the club's rescue with your help and the aid of bigfooty draft expert Knightmare  who has already produced a Mock Draft for September's draft. 

I realise it's an important gig because we could have as many as three first round draft picks in what is a sensationally strong draft pool. I'll kick things off by recommending that the club takes talented father/son prospect Jack Viney and this will most likely cost us our first draft pick.

From there, I'm going to let the power of social networking and the Internet to take over.  You too can be our own Phil Scully but don't get your appetite up too much because, unlike GWS, we don't have the AFL's deep pockets to pay you and you might have to go hungry doing a job for the love of the club.

As I said above Knightmare on bigfooty has kicked off with his 2012 mock draft.

Knightmare outlined the strength of the pool by noting that it has already lost two of its best in the GWS Minidraft and a 2011 Under 18 All Australian to the Giants through a Northern Territory Zone Selection:-

Minidraft (2011): 

#1 Gold Coast - Jaeger O’Meara (WA - Mid)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23/02/1994

Recruited from: Perth Football Club

Style: Gary Ablett

Player comparison:

Range (2012): 1-2

Profile: Has absolutely elite speed – 2.80 of 20m. Endurance is incredibly high – 14+ beep test. Really looks like a sensational athlete already and has huge AFL potential. He makes good use of his speed and can take players on like few others and reminds you so much of a Judd or Ablett with the way he can go. Has that rare vision and awareness to go with it. Big time clearance player. Probably more outside than inside at this stage. Overhead marking good. Gets high tackling numbers. Decision making can be iffy at times, but improving. Can kick both feet incredibly well but could certainly work on consistent by foot and hit targets and finish more consistently, certainly not as polished as Whitfield yet but is well on his way but when his kicking is on can hit at will and kicks it like homing missiles which gives me confidence that this aspect of his game will improve and develop that consistency. Also would like to see him hit the scoreboard more. But everything he can do and already does suggests that he will go on to be a special player. 

Why:

#2 Adelaide - Brad Crouch (VIC - Mid)

Height: 184cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 12/01/1994

Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels 

Style: 

Player comparison: Luke Ball 

Range (2012): 3-5

Profile: Really strong inside player. Could play AFL footy now. Very ready to go. Physically is ready. Has a complete game. Really hard worker and will never die wondering. Future captain material. Ball use very good and is good by both hand and foot. Speed good. 

Why:

GWS - NT Zone:

Jed Anderson (NT – Mid/Util)

Height: 178cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 16/02/1994 

Recruited from: Darwin 

Style: 

Player comparison:

Range: 5-25 (GWS can sign through zone selection – likely)

Profile: 

Why:

Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft is for the First Round based on ladder predictions and I will set it out in my next post.

Here is Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft First Round based on ladder predictions:-

2012: (Ladder order predicted 2012)

#1 GWS- Lachie Whitfield (VIC - Mid)

Height: 185cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 18/07/1994

Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

Style: Ben Cousins/Scott Pendlebury

Player comparison:

Range: 1-3

Profile: The thing that makes Whitfield stand out is his work rate, just never stops running and absolutely works his man into the ground consistently. Has absolutely crazy endurance and as a 17 year old makes mince meat of the beep test, can score 16 which is the highest ever recorded for an AFL draft prospect! The other thing is his skill level by foot. Perfect left footer. Just that class above and always looks composed with ball in hand and is that class above. Has a real natural evasiveness and can pretty easily avoid tackles. Strong mark overhead on the lead and around the field. Speed good but not elite. Could add some more kicking penetration, probably only has a 40-45m kick on him at this stage but if he can add 10-15m onto that kick it will only increase his hurt factor.

Why:

#2 Port Adelaide- Jake Stringer (VIC - Util)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 25/4/1994

Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers

Style: Brendan Goddard

Player comparison:

Range: 2-15

Profile: Stringer is probably the best talent in the draft and had it not been for a broken leg this season I would probably have him at no.1. Comes from a basketball background. Hard worker. Has explosiveness, a great leap and is an incredibly high level athlete. Has great versatility and can play either end comfortably as well as through the midfield. Just one of those players who you can put anywhere and he will change the game and take over. Great ball user. Endurance good. Star potential. Just needs to work hard to get his leg right and the rest will take care of himself if he continues to work hard.

Why:

#3 Gold Coast- Nick Vlastuin (VIC - Mid)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/04/1994

Recruited from: Northern Knights

Style: Joel Selwood

Player comparison:

Profile: Midfielder who consistently wins the contested footy and just consistently goes harder than the next player. Skill level is exceptional, uses it well by both hand and foot and rarely makes mistakes. Has also been noted for leadership and really leads by example out on the field so there is allot to like.

Why:

#4 North Melbourne - Matthew Haynes (VIC - Util)

Height: 190cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 19/03/1994

Recruited from: Northern Knights

Style:

Player comparison: Isaac Smith

Range: 3-15

Profile: Really versatile line breaker. Really broke onto the scene in 2011 and for someone of his height, his pace is absolutely incredible! Just bursts and goes past everyone with ease and is incredibly difficult to run down. Also would be very interested to see his meters gained statistics because he you let him he would sprint the length of the field. I think he could become a very good back flanker at the next level but he does have the versatility to play on a wing or forward. If he can add a few more weapons to this he could be very good player at the next level. If he continues to improve his game as rapidly as he did in 2011, he could be a very high draft selection!

Why:

#5 Richmond – Brodie Grundy (SA - Ruck)

Height: 200cm, Weight: 92kg, DOB: 15/04/1994

Recruited from: Sturt

Style:

Player comparison: Daniel Gorringe

Profile: Ruckman who has shown serious improvement over the past two years. Comes from a basketball background. Very athletic and has a huge leap, is already a high level tap ruckman. Consistently hits it to advantage and knows who’s at his feet. Strong mark overhead and can mark at the highest point. Has a huge work rate. Skill level not bad for a ruckman. Can close out games strongly when the game is on the line and has that extra gear which I view as a real positive.

Why:

#6 Western Bull Dogs - Sam Mayes (North Adelaide – SA - Fwd)

Height: 187cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 20/05/1994

Recruited from: North Adelaide

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 3-25

Profile: Leadup forward who really has the performances on the board. Mayes starred in the 2010 u18 championships and looks set for another dominant year. Has great pace and can really burst away from the trailing defender with ease. Marking ability very strong for a player of his size and his kicking also is very good. Has to this stage played mainly up forward and on occasions pushed up onto a wing but the expectation is that he plays more of a midfield role this year. I do have some questions on his game. If he continues to play as a medium forward (where to this stage he has probably played his best football) should he go this high? – because you can pretty easily get medium forwards later on in the draft and unlike with midfielders or key position players you don’t necessarily have to spend a high pick to get someone who can play this role. Mayes doesn’t look like he will be tall enough to play as a key forward, so his future hopefully for his draft stocks is through the midfield. He seems to have the skill set to adapt to a midfield role so it’s just a case of wait and see what he can do this year, but even though he at this stage is one of the standout young prospects unless he can adapt to a role in the midfield I don’t see him going as high as some predict, though this is an incredibly speculative call and with a year of footy to be played before draft time I could be very wrong.

Why:

#7 Essendon – Joe Daniher (VIC – KPF/Ruck) F/S

Height: 199cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 04/03/1994

Recruited from: Calder Cannons

Style: Paul Salmon

Player comparison:

Range: 1st round

Profile: Tall who can play either up forward or in the ruck. Very strong contested mark and is the real standout feature of his game. Kicking technique good for a tall and can hit the scoreboard for bags of goals already which is promising. As well as playing up forward Daniher can also play in the ruck. But with his strong contested marking game I most like Daniher as a key forward at this stage, but considering Essendon didn’t take a ruckman in the 2011 draft, perhaps the plan is for Daniher to develop into the next generation ruckman – which is equally plausible.

Why:

#8 Brisbane- Mason Shaw (WA – KPP/Ruck)

Height: 198cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB:

Recruited from: South Fremantle

Style: Brad Ottens/Kurt Tippett

Player comparison:

Profile: Really strong marking key forward. Might still grow more and could grow into a ruck size, but I like him most as a strong marking key forward because he just does it so well! Had a sensation 2011 season scoring 66 goals which is a great return for the young key forward. Also is a serious big game player kicking 7 goals in the grand final which is a big return and shows potential to continue being a big game player into the future.

Why:

#9 Melbourne - Jack Viney (VIC - Mid) F/S

Height: 178cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 13/04/1994

Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers

Player comparison: Patrick Dangerfield

Range: 1st round

Profile: Really competitive and hard inside midfield. Could have joined an AFL club as a 17 year old and been a regular. Not a big fella, but purely and simply he is the hardest player I’ve seen coming through the system and his attack on the ball, attack on the man and aggression on the field is without equal and the big reason why he is such a dominant player already. Wins all the hard, contested ball and as a 17 year old was doing better than most of the 18 year olds who got drafted early, so Melbourne will get very lucky to have young Jack who I’m sure will very quickly become a Mark Neeld favourite. Tackling is excellent. Is a real leader out on the field and is someone who really leads by his actions and hardness at the footy. Really high character guy and hard worker who will put time into his game until he becomes elite. Jack has very clean hands and uses it well by hand consistently. Big time accumulator. Left foot kick, can use his right. Kicking is generally very good and will continue to get better. Speed is good, but not elite. The big strength athletically is his endurance which without seeing any of his testing I suspect would be very, very good because he has such a high work rate.

Why:

#10 Adelaide - Ben Kennedy (SA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 174cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 03/03/1994

Recruited from: Glenelg

Style: Brent Harvey

Player comparison:

Range: 4-20

Profile: Very small midfielder, but he can play. Speed is elite. Has that pace but also uses it effectively and willingly takes on opposition players to effect. More than has the performances on the board and showed allot during the 2011 U18 championships. Kennedy is a big accumulator and can hit the scoreboard for a number of goals. Ball use generally very good. Has a neat left foot kick with nice penetration. Can win his own ball. Could probably continue to improve his tackling, more than has the speed to become an extremely high level tackler but there is allot to like and he looks ready to have an impact sooner rather than later.

Why:

#11 St Kilda - Oliver Wines (VIC - Mid)

Height: 184cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 07/10/1994

Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 5-25

Profile:

Why:

#12 West Coast - Dayle Garlett (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 68kg, DOB: 09/01/1994

Recruited from: Swan Districts Football Club

Style:

Player comparison: Harley Bennell

Range: 4-25

Profile: Quality outside midfielder who can sneak forward and have an impact. Showed a fair bit of talent through the 2011 U18 champs. Has great pace and uses it well. Decision making excellent and even when pressured still makes the right decision most of the time. Left footer with some nice penetration on his kick. Can use his right boot and use it well. Skill level generally pretty good. Can really hit the scoreboard and be very damaging with the influence he can have on some games. Also when the ball hits the ground I like how he immediately has that quickness of mind and body to get to the ball quicker than everyone and quickly get the ball onto hit boot for a goal. Still needs to build more strength through the hips so that he can stand up in tackles, but there is a fair bit to like about his game. Also defensively can continue to get better to compliment his incredible offensive game.

Why:

#13 Sydney - Jonathan O’Rourke (VIC - Mid)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 21/04/1994

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 5-25

Profile:

Why:

#14 Fremantle - Rory Atkins (VIC - Mid)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 12/07/1994

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 10-35

Profile:

Why:

#15 Geelong – Josh Simpson (SA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 09/02/1994

Recruited from: North Adelaide

Style:

Player comparison:

Profile:

Why:

#16 Collingwood- James Stewart (Sandringham Dragons – VIC - KPF) F/S

Height: 195cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 04/03/1994

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 1st/2nd round

Profile: Potential Collingwood Father Son selection. Still physically has a fair bit of development to come but the talent is there. Has played most of his footy either as a key forward or on a wing to this stage. Skill level excellent for a key position player, by foot particularly good – duel sided, can find targets with regularity over a variety of distances. Strong mark overhead and will only get better as his body grows out. Athleticism also very impressive. Willing tackler. Fair bit to work with and at this stage likely will go 1st round to Collingwood F/S.

Why:

#17 Carlton- Jason Pongracic (VIC - Mid)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 21/04/1994

Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

Style:

Player comparison:

Profile:

Why:

#18 Hawthorn- Liam McBean (VIC – KPF/Ruck)

Height: 199cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 25/08/1994

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 5-35

Profile:

Why:

Of course, the order of the first round of the draft will be very different by November when some clubs will use compensatory selections gained directly from the two new franchises or by trades. As mentioned above, in Melbourne's case it has two such first round choices by way of silver lining for the loss of dark cloud which it could activate in November 2012 so we recruiting people need to be intimately aware of what's on the horizon in terms of quality players in this draft.

Knightmare has, in addition to the mock draft, produced some lists of potential draftees in groups which he calls "power rankings". I will be back soon with his list and then of course, I'll put in some of my own work to help the club out till it completes its quest to find a national recruiting manager.

All Demonlanders are invited to help out in this important endeavour to help keep the club strong over the course of the next decade.

Knightmare's power rankings divide players into potential A Graders, potentially high level AFL players and potential AFL quality. Here is his list as it currently stands but, over time, I will come in and edit the list by adding information such as heights, weights, dates of birth, player origins etc to assist in recruiting discussions -

Potential A Graders

1. Jaeger O’Meara (Gold Coast - GWS U17 mini draft) Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23/02/1994 Perth WA

2. Lachie Whitfield 185cm 75kg 18/07/1994 Dandenong Stingrays VIC

3. Jake Stringer 191cm 86kg  25/4/1994 Bendigo Pioneers VIC

4. Jack Viney (Melbourne – father/son) 178cm 77 13/04/1994 Oakleigh Chargers VIC

5. Joe Daniher (Essendon - father/son) 199cm 81kg 04/03/1994 Calder Cannons VIC

6. Brad Crouch (Adelaide - GWS U17 mini draft) 184cm 83kg 12/01/1994 North Ballarat Rebels VIC

7. Nick Vlastuin 186cm  83kg 19/04/1994 Northern Knights VIC

8. Mason Shaw 198cm 88kg South Fremantle WA

9. Brodie Grundy 200cm 92kg 15/04/1994 Sturt SA

10. James Stewart (Collingwood - father/son) 

195cm 79kg 04/03/1994 Sandringham Dragons VIC

Potentially high level AFL players

11. Matthew Haynes Height: 190cm 76kg 19/03/1994 Northern Knights VIC

12. Craig Moller (Fremantle – NSW/ACT scholarship) 

13. Dayle Garlett 181cm 68kg 09/01/1994 S. Districts WA

14. Ben Kennedy 174cm 73kg 03/03/1994 Glenelg SA

15. Oliver Wines 184cm 84kg 07/10/1994 Bendigo Pioneers VIC

16. Liam McBean 199cm  85kg 25/08/1994 Calder Cannons VIC

17. Jonathan O'Rourke  183cm 74kg 21/04/1994 Calder Cannons VIC

18. Jed Anderson (GWS – likely NT Zone selection) 178 75kg 16/02/1994 Darwin NT

19. Sam Mayes 187cm 74kg 20/05/1994 North Adelaide SA

20. Josh Simpson 181cm 67kg 09/02/1994 North Adelaide SA

21. Lachie Hunter (Western Bulldogs - father/son)

22. Rory Atkins 183cm 75kg 12/07/1994 Calder Cannons VIC

23. Jason Pongracic 181cm 82kg 21/04/1994 Dandenong Stingrays VIC

24. Jimmy Toumpas 183cm 74kg 2/1/1994 Woodville-W. Torrens SA

25. Aaron Luccon 195cm 86kg 21/4/1994 Norwood SA

26. Christopher Yarran 183cm 80kg 27/4/1994 Perth WA

27. Shannon Taylor 177cm 72kg 5/2/1994 Claremont WA

28. Anthony Bonaddio 174cm 71kg 6/1/1994 Northern Knights VIC 

29. Matthew McDonough 180cm 82kg 26/1/1994 Woodville-W. Torrens SA

30. Corey Chalmers 179cm 70kg 24/11/1994 W. Perth WA

Potential AFL Quality

31. Emmanuel Irra 179cm 73kg 25/3/1994 S. Adelaide SA

32. Nick Amato 177cm 70kg 15/10/1994 N. Adelaide SA

33. Laine Wilkins 189cm 73kg 30/3/1994 Peel WA

34. Riley Hutchinson 187cm 78kg 12/1/1994 E. Perth WA 

35. Ashlin Brown 185cm 91kg 23/4/1994 Western Jets VIC

36. Tim Membrey 187cm 87kg 26/5/1994 Gippsland Power VIC

37. Jesse Lonergan 180cm 83kg 14/11/1994 Launceston Tas

38. Tim Broomhead Port Adelaide SA

39. Spencer White 193cm 88kg 22/9/1994 Western Jets VIC

40. Nathan Hrovat 174cm 75kg 7/6/1994 Northern Knights VIC

41. Jordan Bourke (Geelong - father/son) 192cm 79kg 11/11/1994 Morningside QLD

42. Clay Cameron 189cm 79kg 27/5/1994 Mt Gravatt QLD

43. Joe Redfern 184cm 75kg 18/11/1994 Coolamon NSW

44. Matt Wallis Norwood SA

45. Kamdyn McIntosh 192cm 82kg 3/4/1994 Peel WA 

46. Harley Montgomery 177cm 67kg 20/2/1994 Sturt SA

47. Lachlan Plowman 190cm 81 kg 11/9/1994 Calder VIC

48. Brant Colledge 192cm 85kg 25/10/1994 Perth WA

49. Sean Lynch 184cm 76kg 30/1/1994 S. Fremantle WA 

50. Chase Strange 176cm 67kg 5/3/1994 Peel WA

51. Sam Martyn

52. Sean  Lemmens Port Adelaide SA

53. Braedon McLean (GWS – NT Zone selection) 176cm 65kg 9/11/1994 Waratah NT

54. Kenny Ong 180cm 68kg 14/3/1994 Sandringham Dragons VIC

55. Adam Carter 179cm 70kg 17/4/1994 S. Fremantle WA

56. Todd McKay 176cm 74kg 25/01/1994 S. Adelaide SA

57. Cameron Banfield 181cm 65kg 1/2/1994 Sandringham Dragons VIC 

58. Brandon Jack 179cm 68kg 25/5/1994 Westbrook NSW

59. Kristian Jaksch 193cm 84kg 7/10/1994 Oakleigh Chargers VIC 

60. Will Beasley (Western Bulldogs - father/son) details not available*.

* previously invited to Geelong Falcons but declined in favour of rowing

I am also adding a further category to list additional potential from time to time. It will start off as a blank canvas and hopefully with some scouting and your suggestions we can do the job of the BBBP's and Phil Scully's of the world at far less cost.

Potential

• Claude Alcorso 178cm 72kg 14/7/1994 Hobart TAS

• Rohan Bones 200cm 94 kg 30/12/1994 Hobart TAS

• Thor Boscott 177cm 78cm 25/12/1994 Lauderdale TAS

• Andrew Boston 179cm 73kg 23/3/1994 Broadbeach QLD 

• Chase Bower Norwood SA

• Corey Chalmers 179cm 70kg 24/11/1994 W. Perth WA

• Brian Coleman-Broome 178cm 71kg 9/4/1994 Mornington QLD

• Jason Cooke Calder Cannons VIC

• Sean Crook 188cm 88kg 19/8/1994 Apsley QLD

• Tom Davidson 176cm 80kg 17/3/1994 Broadbeach QLD 

• Josh Grant 195cm 83kg 1/3/1994 Glenorchy TAS

• Brodie Haberfield 180cm 81kg 13/1/1994 Surfers Paradise QLD 

• Lonnie Hampton 166cm 63kg 29/1/1994 Lavington NSW

• Jack Hatcher 172cm 68kg 11/9/1994  Waratah NT

• Thomas Head 195cm 89kg 26/5/1994 Balmain NSW

• Jarrod Hibberd 187cm 89kg 4/9/1994 Lauderdale TAS

• Mitch Hopkins 175cm 66kg 19/2/1994 Southport QLD 

• Calen Jeffrey 182cm 74kg 2/12/1994 Hobart TAS

• Aaron Jetta East Perth WA

• Brennon Kendall 182cm 74kg 11/5/1994 Devonport TAS

• Troy Lawton 180cm 75kg 13/6/1994 Rovers NT

• Shaquille McKenzie East Perth WA

• Joel Madden Calder Vic (f/s)

• Troy Menzel 181cm 72kg 22/9/1994 C. Districts SA 

• Andrew Moody 171cm 60kg 21/3/94 Maquarie University NSW

• Jake Neade 170cm 64kg 29/3/1994 West Alice NT

• Reece Peckham 189cm 80kg 24/11/1994 Pioneers NT

• Daniel Robinson 183cm 79kg 3/7/1994 Riverview NSW

• Sam Siggins 192cm 81kg 20/3/1994 Lauderdale TAS

• Josh Smith 175cm 69kg 2/1/1994 Morningside QLD

• Jarrod Stokes 175cm 73kg 15/12/1994 Darwin NT

• Jordan Taylor 186cm 85kg 8/4/1994 Riverview NSW

• Jackson Thurlow 188cm 72kg 28/3/1994 Launceston TAS

• Nick Tuddenham Langwarrin Dandenong Stingrays VIC

• Brendan Verrier 9/8/1994 S. Fremantle WA 

• Ben Vile 190cm 76cm 16/3/1994 Albury NSW

• Bryce Walsh 177cm 77kg 4/5/1994 Lauderdale TAS

• Zachary Williams 180cm 72kg 20/9/1994 Albury NSW

• Daniel Williamson Norwood SA

• Stephen Wray 182cm 74kg 15/4/1994 Pennant Hills NSW

• Michael Wyld 188cm 78kg 26/7/1994 Morningside QLD 

So right now, we're already on top of the game with one of the top four ranked players due to come into contention in 2013 from the draft pool of players available. As at mid January, that list comprises only players born in 1994. There will be additions from that age group as well as from those who missed out in previous drafts and including mature age players. At least we're hitting the ground running and we don't have to fret about not having a head honcho for recruiting.

With existing compo picks, we have to nominate that we will use them in the 2012 draft before the commencement of the 2012 season, i.e. in the next couple of months at some stage. Same as all the other clubs with existing compo picks.

It's also worth remembering that GWS can still poach a lot of uncontracted players from clubs at the end of this season too, so there could be a lot of compo picks to be added later.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see us only use 1 this year, to even out the talent influx by using another in 2 or 3 years' time.

And I fully expect Primus to do the right thing by Port and secure a priority pick for Whitfield for the future of the club.

Just like Bailey did for us, and Carlton did before that, and many others before them.

I haven't seen most of the players on that list but apart from Viney 2 that may come into contention for us are Matthew Haynes (tall quick mid, good kick) and Jimmy Toumpas (mid forward, good ball use and decision maker with a premiership at senior level SANFL).

And I fully expect Primus to do the right thing by Port and secure a priority pick for Whitfield for the future of the club.

Just like Bailey did for us, and Carlton did before that, and many others before them.

The issue being for Primus that Gold Coast can pip him with a #1 priority pick if they win less than 4 games...

I wouldn't be too surprised to see us only use 1 this year, to even out the talent influx by using another in 2 or 3 years' time.

However, we could also activate both with the intention of using one this year and trading the other to get a player.

(noting that the comp picks can be traded whether or not they have been activated)

However, we could also activate both with the intention of using one this year and trading the other to get a player.

(noting that the comp picks can be traded whether or not they have been activated)

True, but I think loading the list with top-end talent is only half the battle -- the hard part is topping up the list with similar talent to extend your time in contention for a flag.

It's also about maintaing the spread of ages to avoid a sudden drop-off when retirement age hits for your stars (see: MFC, 2007).

Geelong and Hawthorn were both lucky, being able to get Selwood and Rioli with relatively late picks.

We'll want a late injection of serious talent to increase our chances.

I'd even be happy trading it for Jack Martin (probable number 1 17-year-old pick in 2012).

He'd be unable to play in 2013, so it would work in a similar vein.

The issue being for Primus that Gold Coast can pip him with a #1 priority pick if they win less than 4 games...

Won't happen.

And even if it does, I'm willing to bet Gold Coast would still had a slightly better record, leaving Port with number 1.

It's be something like:

1 Port, 2 GC, 3 GWS, 4 Port, 5 GC, 6 Bris...

I think we should use both picks this year. Given it takes a couple of years for a mid to become a regular player, and longer for most key position types, Neeld will want to deploy all the playing assets that the MFC has as soon as possible. Extending the window is a bonus you think about once you've snagged your first flag.

• Like 1

I'm leaving no stone unturned in my quest to uncover new talent for the Demons and I've already come up with some interesting names:-

• Aaron Jetta

Very little known about him ATM other than that his date of birth is 2 April, 1994, he comes from Carey Park and played 14 games for Swan Districts Reserves in 2011 wearing jumper # 61. Not a prolific possession gatherer (88 kicks, 29 handballs 117 disposals in total, 36 marks, 42 tackles and kicked 13 goals 16 behinds). Sounds like a small forward but I will get my spies onto the job to find out some more.

Incidentally, you would expect a kid that age in the WAFL to be playing for the Colts rather than the reserves so there could be a story behind that as well.

Carey Park is situated just outside Bunbury from where Neville Jetta hails and I've noted the names of Bernard Jetta, Brandon Jetta, Clement Jetta and Peter Jetta in connection with clubs in the area.

Other football names I've found associated with the Bunbury/Carey Park area are Bennell, Blurton, Garlett, Narkle, Pickett, Rintoul and Yarren. I'm ready to fly off in that direction if that's what the club wants.

• Shaquille McKenzie

No relation to our Jordie, this young bloke also comes from out west and is an exciting speedster who came to prominence a couple of years ago in the Under 16 National Carnival playing in the same team as Jaeger O'Meara. From Nollamara-Nth Cobras and born 22 April, 1994, he was 171cm 62kg as an Under 16 and has hopefully grown since then. He's now affiliated with East Perth in the WAFL.

Point is that I'm a firm believer in picking players on name and this pair have a bit of a magic ring about their names.

That reminds me that I always regarded the name Trengove as a strong sounding name. On that alone, he deserves to be captain!

Re: Aaron Jetta, apparently nobody watches the WAFL reserves when looking for talent, because usually young kids who are any good play colts, or if they are even better get promoted straight to the firsts.

There's a school of thought that a WA team may have tried to hide him away in the WAFL reserves so they can pick him up cheaply, or at all, since he seems to be highly rated.

Just repeating what I've been told.

RE Aaron Jetta, if he plays for "Scary Park" then he's allready playing in the red and blue gurnsey!

Also his lack of impressive stats might have been due to the fact that the black duck's reserves had a tough year in 2011

Whispering_Jack

Style - I like - though I hope he doesn't play for frees all the time

Player comparison - so he doesn't know how to land safely when tackled hard ??!! A bit of a worry

:-)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bumping this up as a reminder that I'm still working in my unconfirmed and voluntary role as recruiting officer for the club while we await the announcement of the new appointment (possibly fo co-incide with that of the front of jumper announcement) and I have my spies out on the field leaving no stone untuned in the never ending search for new player talent.

I'm still waiting on news about my 2012 smokie Aaron Jetta to arrive from over the Nullabor and I have a few others hidden away in country and suburban competitions across the country in my quest to find the next Leigh Williams.

You can rest assured though that the club is in good hands.

Whispering_Jack

Style - I like - though I hope he doesn't play for frees all the time

Player comparison - so he doesn't know how to land safely when tackled hard ??!! A bit of a worry

:-)

How the hell can you have both "style" and "player comparison"??

Surely one of those is completely redundant..?

I'm expecting to end up with Viney, Wines and O'Rourke.

Hopefully Viney, O'Rourke and Jack Martin, with us getting the U/17 pick for a compo pick plus a bloke like Bate or Petterd (not that I want to lose him, but he'll be starved of opportunities in a forward line featuring Howe, Jurrah, Clark, Green, Watts and a requisite crumber).

I'm expecting to end up with Viney, Wines and O'Rourke.

Hopefully Viney, O'Rourke and Jack Martin, with us getting the U/17 pick for a compo pick plus a bloke like Bate or Petterd (not that I want to lose him, but he'll be starved of opportunities in a forward line featuring Howe, Jurrah, Clark, Green, Watts and a requisite crumber).

Thats all fine until injury/poor form hits. Need all these players

Thats all fine until injury/poor form hits. Need all these players

Tom McDonald, Stef Martin, Sellar, Dunn, Bate, Cook, Sylvia, Tapscott..?

We are not short of players that could fill his role in the forward line.

But I think Petterd is good enough to demand an AFL starting 22 position, just not against any of the ones named in the previous post. (maybe Green).

I think if he is not established in the 22 by season's end, he'll be looking for greener pastures.

Tom McDonald, Stef Martin, Sellar, Dunn, Bate, Cook, Sylvia, Tapscott..?

We are not short of players that could fill his role in the forward line.

But I think Petterd is good enough to demand an AFL starting 22 position, just not against any of the ones named in the previous post. (maybe Green).

I think if he is not established in the 22 by season's end, he'll be looking for greener pastures.

I would back Petterd against Dunn, Bate,Cook going on last years form(which is all I can go on) Tapscott injured, Sellar unproven???McDonald unproven

So would I.

Relevance?

Just that I think he is important to our forward line and until others pass him in performance he would be a monty to stay

I think(notsure) he is contracted for 2013