Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mark Neeld in the media

Whispering_Jack

Neeld certainly seems the no half measures sort of bloke the MFC could use. If his personality reflects onto the footy field we should have an uncompromising, tough-minded team which is definitely something we've been lacking.

I can remember a lot of commentators (possibly one repeating himself on multiple weeks) who said that Melbourne had "forgotten how to win" and  I can't help but be optimistic that Neeld and co. can sort out a lot of the players' issues in this regard.

You sort of get the feeling that the MFC went after a new coach... the likes of which it had a reasonable idea of, but whats transpired since is Neeld's proved a catalyst for wholesale change. I think we're still coming to terms with this as its been so throrough and so dynamic. In so manyrespects its hard to recognise this club as ours. No complaints mind you :)

You cant expect to build anything substantial and long-lived without due care to the foundations. These seem to have been implemented , and of a scale and design never seen before at the MFC. Rome wasnt bult in a day , but built it was, grand it became, and awed in its day and still now.

One of the many endearing legacies of Rome, and particular its great Colliseum was how it took a simple building unit, that you and I know as a brick and remoulded it, redefined it and utilised it in ways un heard of before. Its not always the complexity or ability of any single aspect that determines effeciveness and success its the design and implementation that ensures this. This is exactly how I see the club at present. Neeld and Co are taking our 'units' and redeploying them into roles better suited to not only themselves but the greater good of our own Rome...aka The Mighty Demons.

If he ( Neeld ) is half as good a thinker re football ( gameday) as he is in regard to all that goes into getting there then we are in for some interesting times :)

• Like 4

You sort of get the feeling that the MFC went after a new coach... the likes of which it had a reasonable idea of, but whats transpired since is Neeld's proved a catalyst for wholesale change. I think we're still coming to terms with this as its been so throrough and so dynamic. In so manyrespects its hard to recognise this club as ours. No complaints mind you :)

You cant expect to build anything substantial and long-lived without due care to the foundations. These seem to have been implemented , and of a scale and design never seen before at the MFC. Rome wasnt bult in a day , but built it was, grand it became, and awed in its day and still now.

One of the many endearing legacies of Rome, and particular its great Colliseum was how it took a simple building unit, that you and I know as a brick and remoulded it, redefined it and utilised it in ways un heard of before. Its not always the complexity or ability of any single aspect that determines effeciveness and success its the design and implementation that ensures this. This is exactly how I see the club at present. Neeld and Co are taking our 'units' and redeploying them into roles better suited to not only themselves but the greater good of our own Rome...aka The Mighty Demons.

If he ( Neeld ) is half as good a thinker re football ( gameday) as he is in regard to all that goes into getting there then we are in for some interesting times :)

It pays to get in first, which is why a finished coach should always leave immediately his tenure can no longer work.

I know Neeld is yet to coach a game...But we got the best man available i am sure. No wonder G Lyon was so chilled during the Footy Show.

Neelds media performances leave me feeling flat.

Well you will be hopefully pleased when actions speak louder than words.

• Like 1

Thats an interesting comment and I was wondering if you could elaborate on what exactly you mean by his media performance leaving you flat. In what way does it leave you flat?

He's a coach, not a media personality. I really couldn't give a fat rat's clacker about his ability to perform in front of a microphone or camera. As was said, as long as his actions speak louder than words, then we should all be very happy.

Edited by hardtack

Maybe you would prefer someone like Sheedy? Maybe the ambiguity of Mark Harvey's pressers would be better.

Neeld is straight down the line, no [censored]. Just what the club and players need.

Who cares how he presents to the media circus.

• Like 1

Neeld comes accross as quite indifferent when asked about our players and club in general.

Yes. While he's no doubt secretly impressed by our inability to beat Victorian sides, save Richmond and Essendon, since 2006 he's intent on seemingly displaying a stoic demeanor.

I much prefer the gushing approach.

• Like 1

Yes. While he's no doubt secretly impressed by our inability to beat Victorian sides, save Richmond and Essendon, since 2006 he's intent on seemingly displaying a stoic demeanor.

I much prefer the gushing approach.

Let's cast our minds back to when Neeld made his first official address to the MFC, which was at the Club's B&F night. He made no secret of the fact that he was interviewed for senior coaching positions at several clubs. But what shone through to me that night and those in audience, was that he said after being interviewed by the MFC, he wrote down 5 things. One of the 5 things he wrote down was the word PASSION. He went on to say, he did not find the same word for any of the other clubs which interviewed him.

I don't give a rat's whether Mark Neeld is a media darling or not. What matters to me is that the players, football department and administration all understand him and are reading off the same page. There is no doubt that Dean Bailey was loved by the media and in fact, some sections of the media saw DB as somewhat of a fall guy, given the clubs dismal performance in 2011, after so much promise earlier.

For me, I am pleased to see some real PASSION back at the club, and from what I can tell, the players are beginning to respond. If they do respond to Neeld's message, the rest will follow and so will the media.

That's all that matters for me in 2012.

Let's cast our minds back to when Neeld made his first official address to the MFC, which was at the Club's B&F night. He made no secret of the fact that he was interviewed for senior coaching positions at several clubs. But what shone through to me that night and those in audience, was that he said after being interviewed by the MFC, he wrote down 5 things. One of the 5 things he wrote down was the word PASSION. He went on to say, he did not find the same word for any of the other clubs which interviewed him.

I don't give a rat's whether Mark Neeld is a media darling or not. What matters to me is that the players, football department and administration all understand him and are reading off the same page. There is no doubt that Dean Bailey was loved by the media and in fact, some sections of the media saw DB as somewhat of a fall guy, given the clubs dismal performance in 2011, after so much promise earlier.

For me, I am pleased to see some real PASSION back at the club, and from what I can tell, the players are beginning to respond. If they do respond to Neeld's message, the rest will follow and so will the media.

That's all that matters for me in 2012.

I'm interested in a hard nosed coach that starts the journey of shaping this football club into one of the competition's benchmarks. I already know that Mark Neeld is passionate. He can save the platitudes for the supporters that require them.

• Like 1

Could not disagree with you more. My overwhelming impression is of a guy who is focussed on developing a winning culture. I am positive for the first time in 5 years.

It is Jan 6th Weedster.

You have to be positive at present

Because God knows what April will bring.

Negatives aside I think Neeld has come up well so far.

I have been in a position to meet and speak with Mark on a couple of occasions since he became coach. He is an impressive individual. You wouldn't cross him as a player. You would do whatever he asked. He is very specific about exactly what he wants and is demanding all staff and players at the club give him what he needs. He has stated a number of times he only gets one shot and you get the impression he will do anything to have this club win. He is taking a very scientific approach to training with every player on their own individual program and is already into matching players to game time and specific rotations for NAB cup through to Round one.

Dont have any doubt this guy is leaving no stone unturned. Is he passionate....ask him....he would probably look at you with those piercing eyes like you are a dead man...

I have been in a position to meet and speak with Mark on a couple of occasions since he became coach. He is an impressive individual. You wouldn't cross him as a player. You would do whatever he asked. He is very specific about exactly what he wants and is demanding all staff and players at the club give him what he needs. He has stated a number of times he only gets one shot and you get the impression he will do anything to have this club win. He is taking a very scientific approach to training with every player on their own individual program and is already into matching players to game time and specific rotations for NAB cup through to Round one.

Dont have any doubt this guy is leaving no stone unturned. Is he passionate....ask him....he would probably look at you with those piercing eyes like you are a dead man...

Yes The "I have one shot at this" reference is the line i will remember..He means business...all the other stuff is just Fluff.

Neeld comes accross as quite indifferent when asked about our players and club in general.

Personally I just love it when people give an opinion with no supporting evidence whatsoever.

I love it because it narrows down the list of people to bother reading on this site.

• Like 1

I still think there a few question marks with MN media comments. I didnt agree with the public naming of some players in the media (Watts) about performance or lifestyle. Some things can be said behind closed doors, but from my training, public naming (humiliation) goes against any management or leadership manual (football clubs are no different).

Im still not sure what the 'touchy feely' reference was all about? Collingwood maybe more direct in its approach, but the CFC IMO is an easy club to operate! The MFC have been kicking many goas of late (football dept excluded) and MN is reaping the benefits with the resources at his disposal.

I also thought in a recent article where McCarthy, Watters and Neeld answered questions McCarthy spoke very well out performing Neeld and Watters.

Before i get labelled a MN hater, i like many other aspects he has displayed and im very hopefull for the football and sports science depts (previously under performing areas)! To be able to get highly respected ppl to follow him (Mission, Craig, Lyon and the MFC) speaks volumes. Many in the industry have high opinions of Mark. The structural and cultural changes in the footy depts make me very hopefull (time will tell), i just hope he is still open, approachable and flexible where appropriate.

At the end of the day i want to see on field performances. When the time comes thats when ill judge MN overall

I still think there a few question marks with MN media comments. I didnt agree with the public naming of some players in the media (Watts) about performance or lifestyle. Some things can be said behind closed doors, but from my training, public naming (humiliation) goes against any management or leadership manual (football clubs are no different).

Im still not sure what the 'touchy feely' reference was all about? Collingwood maybe more direct in its approach, but the CFC IMO is an easy club to operate! The MFC have been kicking many goas of late (football dept excluded) and MN is reaping the benefits with the resources at his disposal.

I also thought in a recent article where McCarthy, Watters and Neeld answered questions McCarthy spoke very well out performing Neeld and Watters.

Before i get labelled a MN hater, i like many other aspects he has displayed and im very hopefull for the football and sports science depts (previously under performing areas)! To be able to get highly respected ppl to follow him (Mission, Craig, Lyon and the MFC) speaks volumes. Many in the industry have high opinions of Mark. The structural and cultural changes in the footy depts make me very hopefull (time will tell), i just hope he is still open, approachable and flexible where appropriate.

At the end of the day i want to see on field performances. When the time comes thats when ill judge MN overall

And who made you god????

If I may I would like to address a couple of your comments and appreciate everyone has their own opinion.

In terms of management style and whats right and wrong, history shows there are many different styles of leadership that can be successful. Singling out players rightly or wrongly according to the latest management school of thought has been done because every player needs something different. Not one approach fits all. I can suggest with some authority that Neeld holds strongly to the value that every single player needs to be coached, lead and challenged differently, not one size fits all. He challenged Jack early as he thought thats what Jack will respond to. It is actually as simple as that. You cannot say that is Neelds' style. In fact it is a management solution that fit a certain situation to which he applied to Jack.

I hope that makes sense.

Secondly, Neeld himself was the first person to point out to players at our club on arrival that at CFC tell everyone they have the best club and resources in the world. The fact is he told them MFC have newer and better facilities for PLAYERS. This does not mean the coaching staff do. Yes we have invested in more coaches than ever and that is a huge step which Neeld himself initiated and led. I can tell you it is falacy to suggest that our football club coaching staff have better resource off the ground than other clubs. Neeld has personally driven the club to get up to speed on all types of common industry coaching support tools which the football club didn't have. The club has traditionally thought it was an innovator but reality is they have been at the bottom of the table for everything to do with coaching resource and infrastructure. Again I make these statements as I have a bit to do with most AFL clubs and can also benchmark MFC.

Neeld has done a MAMMOTH job to rectify this and has worked himself and the staff into the nights to get it to where it needs to be in order to play on a level playing field. When I say mammoth what he has done so far is outstanding. But he knows there is so much more to do and the club admin needs to make further gains to support him.

Again I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion, but its very easy to cast judgement when you don't actually know what, who, where and how are going on behind the scenes.

Just one more point on emotion if I may indulge ...

Mark is not emotional about our players. He is objective and sees them for what they are. They are the people who bring to life his game plan. He is VERY strategic and the emotion will come in when you start to see players earn his pride and trust. It has still been a blank canvas and rightly he is at the moment letting the Sports Science team get the job done to get the players into the shape required to be part of the game plan to deliver ultimate success. It is my personal opinion that Mark will use the emotion card alot like we have see Chris Scott or Brad Scott....Rarely....but for a purpose.

Don't underestimate MN, everything he does is calculated and for a purpose driven outcome.

A game is yet to be played. But if MN does fail it will not be because he didn't leave no stone unturned.

Go Dees

• Like 4