Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

rpfc

Rookie Elevation  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow. "proven AFL player". He certainly has the speed and commitment to play at this level but my God he has barely been promoted off the rookie list and you make him sound like Chris Judd.

He has some potential. That's it. Hardly proven.

That's a terrible post Jnr. There is nowhere in that post that is comparing him to the stars of the comp, all he (and I said in my post for that matter) is that he has proven himself to be able to play at that level. A majority of players prove themselves in the AFL, only a few become stars.

Why would you post something like that??? :wacko:

It wouldn't surprise me if part of the agreement for Nicho to stay on as a 2nd year rookie was that we'd elevate him.

The FD said they decided to leave Nicho Lawrence and Evans on the Rookie list. IMO that was to leave that last position totally open until the end of Preseason.

So I don't think Nicho is a "MONTY". It just creates a hell of a lot of competition for one last place on the list. Jan/Feb looks like being a pretty rugged time for all the rookies.

Edited by Chippy

The FD said they decided to leave Nicho Lawrence and Evans on the Rookie list. IMO that was to leave that last position totally open until the end of Preseason.

So I don't think Nicho is a "MONTY". It just creates a hell of a lot of competition for one last place on the list. Jan/Feb looks like being a pretty rugged time for all the rookies.

IMO it was to leave a senior list position open so we could take a 3rd player in the ND.

• Like 2

The FD had to leave Evans, Nicholson and Lawrence on the rookie list rather than delist another player. With a veteran on our list, Green, we lose a rookie spot. This is balanced out with being able to nominate a rookie to be elevated to the full list before the start of the season. Last year it was Juice.

Could someone please clarify something for me...with this automatic rookie elevation, does this mean they are placed permanently on the senior list and are no longer considered a rookie or is it just for this year?

Thanks in advance

A rookie can be elevated at the beginning of the season if you have one veteran. We elevated Newton but he wasn't on the list at the end of the season.

Think of it as a temporary elevation.

I don't know what the new CBA will have so this may be moot.

However, the new CBA apparently says we should have 40 players - we have 39 so I assume that sometime in the next few weeks will be asked to place a rookie on the primary list before the start of the season.

Edited by rpfc

BUMP & EDIT

I have added a 'who besides Nicholson' question as two-thirds of the vote are for Nicho to either get the automatic 'temporary elevation' or the simply 40th position on our list.

Assuming injuries occur or the 'temporary elevation' sticks around in 2012 I would like to see who we think will be the second in line.

ATTENTION: To vote on the second question you must delete your first vote and revote in question 1.

Edited by rpfc

A rookie can be elevated at the beginning of the season if you have one veteran. We elevated Newton but he wasn't on the list at the end of the season.

Think of it as a temporary elevation.

I don't know what the new CBA will have so this may be moot.

However, the new CBA apparently says we should have 40 players - we have 39 so I assume that sometime in the next few weeks will be asked to place a rookie on the primary list before the start of the season.

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say (I think)

I knew we had one space still available. That's why I think they wanted to wait until all Rookies were up and about.

It would have been no good committing to early. What if Nicho does a knee or shoulder in the next month?

Or any of the other rookies for that matter?

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say (I think)

I knew we had one space still available. That's why I think they wanted to wait until all Rookies were up and about.

It would have been no good committing to early. What if Nicho does a knee or shoulder in the next month?

Or any of the other rookies for that matter?

But we won't be 'committing' to any rookie that is 'temporarily elevated' as they are not permanently on the list. Thus choosing said 'temporary elevated rookie' will not be derailed by an injury - they can be replaced.

The aspect of what I was saying that may have confused you is the new requirement from the CBA that eliminates the Veterans List - thus making it necessary to elevate a rookie permanently to get to 40 players on the Primary List.

This is confusing as hell I realise but it should be sorted out soon.

But we won't be 'committing' to any rookie that is 'temporarily elevated' as they are not permanently on the list. Thus choosing said 'temporary elevated rookie' will not be derailed by an injury - they can be replaced.

The aspect of what I was saying that may have confused you is the new requirement from the CBA that eliminates the Veterans List - thus making it necessary to elevate a rookie permanently to get to 40 players on the Primary List.

This is confusing as hell I realise but it should be sorted out soon.

i think the 40 player primary list is a MAXIMUM figure not a mandatory one.......could be wrong but

i think the 40 player primary list is a MAXIMUM figure not a mandatory one.......could be wrong but

14.1 Each AFL Club shall maintain minimum and maximum numbers of Players on their

Lists. During the term, the maximum Primary List size shall be 38 and Veterans

List size shall be 2.

14.2 The minimum number of Players on the Club’s Primary List and Veterans List

combined shall be 38

Here is the rule from the LAST CBA so it isn't gospel but it would seem that scrapping the VL may mean allowing some teams with 40 players and some with 38...

I don't like it.

I say mandatory 40 for all.

I also read somewhere that Collingwood were looking at selecting him. If he can come in and contribute to the team I will be happy for two reasons. The first being obvious, and the second being that there is nothing better than beating Collingwood to the punch with selecting a good player (similar to when we got Jurrah).

And Jeremy Howe.

Nicholson is the obvious one, and his speed and endurance are great qualities, but his kicking, decision making ability to shut down a man needed a lot of improvement on what we saw last year.

If I was picking a mid to start off the bench I'd probably prefer Magner or Couch who might be more solid. If I'm going for flexibility and a good option as the sub then I'd looking at Nicholson.

The one who has a spot open if he can really improve his preseason quickly and show some NAB cup form in Lawrence. He seemed well suited to the forward pressure role at Casey and if he can transfer it to AFL level he'd make quiet a player.

I have a feeling Neeld will make a statement by elevating the ready to go tough nut 'Mitsubishi' Magner.

We're going to see a different Melbourne in '012. Bigger. Fitter. Harder edged.

I say pick the bloke who likes to get his hands dirty.

Edited by Range Rover

At this stage it is really a personal preference of who's highlight tape you like the most, Couch or Magner (assuming Nicholson gets promoted first).

I think Couch looks pretty well rounded, but just doesnt tackle the same as Magner, i still voted Couch but imo its a raffle until atleast the NAB cup, where both will play.

Neeld took Couch from Collingwood so he may have a liking for him already.

As sad as it is for Max could be good for the dees. Max would be pushing for a spot but I wouldn't expect he'd be banging down the door. This way we can see how our 'tough' midfielders and Leigh Williams can go in the AFL. 2 from round 1 and 1 more from the middle of the season - hoping thats it don't want too many more injuries.

Nicholson.

That said, I've no idea what the form of Couch or Magner is like. It seems to me that some of you think Magner and Couch are ahead of some of our national draft picks to get an AFL game. That being the case, it's interesting to see how the rookie draft is evolving.

As an aside, how is Kelvin Lawrence developing? Anyone able to comment?

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Given Max's injury and Neeld's clear desire for a team that is the hardest to play against i believe that the elevations at the start of the year (barring no more LTI's) will be:

Nicholson and Magner.

I believe Magner will just edge out Couch on his strength and tackling ability but would not be surprised if Couch did sneak in.

Leigh Williams has already been told to make his aim the Casey 1's this year so i believe he and Jai Sheehan won't be in the red and blue this year until they have proven themselves at Casey.

I still think Lawrence has a way to go and Evans is stiff but just needs to keep working on his skills and decision making.

I then would think that barring injuries the other of Couch and Magner will be elevated mid season to assist the midfield in the latter half of the year.

Given Max's injury and Neeld's clear desire for a team that is the hardest to play against i believe that the elevations at the start of the year (barring no more LTI's) will be:

Nicholson and Magner.

I believe Magner will just edge out Couch on his strength and tackling ability but would not be surprised if Couch did sneak in.

Leigh Williams has already been told to make his aim the Casey 1's this year so i believe he and Jai Sheehan won't be in the red and blue this year until they have proven themselves at Casey.

I still think Lawrence has a way to go and Evans is stiff but just needs to keep working on his skills and decision making.

I then would think that barring injuries the other of Couch and Magner will be elevated mid season to assist the midfield in the latter half of the year.

Yep, I like the way you've laid it out GsoaG.

I agree and went for Couch, not knowing anything about Magner. But I now see Magner is a lot bigger, than the impressions I had of him from the U-18's footage I saw.

So I totally agree with what you've said.