Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A look back in the rear view mirror

DeeVoted

In the past few weeks I have had the opportunity to view some old MFC games that date back to 1987. I was left wondering why we go from hot to cold in just a matter of a few years.

This is not just a current trend, it dates back to day dot.

When we look back through our history, what that reflects is either you'll find us in the top 4 teams, or if you cant find us there, check the bottom 4,

We are either hot or cold, no in between for us.

About the only time we are there-abouts is when we are coming back from a few seasons in the doldrums. More than likely not just a couple but a duration of years, languishing, going nowhere.

Is the culture of this club that bad , that we rest on our laurels we lose that edge that got us back where we think we rightly belong?

Shouldnt we expect and demand better?

Why is it that every few decades, we have had to resort to the high flyers and the passionate supporter for hand outs?

We can only keep going to the well, so many times. It seems we have had to do that more times than we should. We are fortunate to be able to have those resources to call upon but things need to change, if we are to continue on our own two feet.

Every club / team goes through their ups and downs, but our bad is as bad as it can get.

Take away the glory years of the mid 50's to the early 60's and really their isnt a lot we can hang our hat on.

The question needs to be asked and answered, what happens in our next phase, after Jim Stynes and Co finally call it a day and hand over to a new Board?

Will all their hard work slowly be eroded and we end up once again paupers, and left struggling. Hopefully the answer is no, we have seen the last of being down and almost out. A new Board,whenever that might be continues to build, and we no longer are seen as a poor club.

Time will tell.

Money brings success, success brings in money.

Mark Neeld now has at his disposal a mixture of highly rated talent to call upon, the playing group regarded as one of the best if not the best young group to mould and perform and expects them to play accordingly. And we shouldnt settle for anything less.

Neeld touched on a few things within the club he has noticed in his short time here.

Hopefully the culture will change, no more hitting rock bottom its onwards and upwards.

Now for those old games I viewed

What stood out for me was the drive we got from the 1/2 backline

Like todays team, we didnt have any elite midfielders, just talented players with courage,and willing to have a go.

The likes of, Steven Stretch, with his dash, ball handling and courage. Graeme Yeates,again willing to go in and great disposal.

Then Bret Lovett, I remember watching most of these games if played at the "G" I will say I never gave Lovett credit that was due to him. I always thought he was good, but after viewing these games, he was real a rock down back. Rarely made a mistake and backed himself, and hit targets

in the forward line.

Then we had Rod Grinter, his toughness, solid mark and dash was also great at hitting a target upfield.

A lot hasn't changed, the basics, get the footy, and be able to hit a target to advantage. There was some talent in there, but some of that talent

only lasted a few years, for various reasons ie Warren Darren Cuthbertson, Darren Bennett, Allen Jakovich to name a few.

Why did these players, that had the talent to rip a game apart only last a few years with the club?

One would expect, a 200+ career barring injury, but we had a lot of flash-in-the-pans so to speak.

Then we wonder, why we go from chocolates, to boiled lollies. Where is the continutity??

Most important, our primemovers now,and most still developing can last more than a few years so passing the baton, doesnt mean a total rebuild

This also includes new Board members when the time comes If we can make good all the good work done over the last 4 years, we will no more be referred to as one of the poorer clubs.

The mighty Dees, we be mighty. (most of the time).

Just wait till Free Agency kicks in, then you will be able to get really concerned. The MFC needs to attract more $$$$ to keep paying top wages to top coaches. Now the club has AMII Park it is hard to compare the club to the junction oval days. But 2012 will tell a lot as to what this club is made of.

It's not only from season to season this happens (chocolates to boiled lollies) but within seasons as well and potentially games. We have never been a consistent side as long as I have been watching the Demons.

In the Northey years we would regularly drop gimme games (and not just one or two but multiple games in a row) which would cost us a top 3 berth and double chance. Not to mention the Daniher years like 2004 & 2006 when we lost to Carlton twice costing us a top 4 spot. It's part of the "toughness" we have to develop within the club that will see us gain consistency not just year in, year out but game in, game out.

To extend your argument about the 50's-60's - we won 10 of our 12 premierships within 25 years (1939-1964). Outside of those 25 years (90 seasons minus the WW1 years) it has been pretty lean times for the MFC.

In the Northey years we would regularly drop gimme games (and not just one or two but multiple games in a row) which would cost us a top 3 berth and double chance. Not to mention the Daniher years like 2004 & 2006 when we lost to Carlton twice costing us a top 4 spot. It's part of the "toughness" we have to develop within the club that will see us gain consistency not just year in, year out but game in, game out.

To extend your argument about the 50's-60's - we won 10 of our 12 premierships within 25 years (1939-1964). Outside of those 25 years (90 seasons minus the WW1 years) it has been pretty lean times for the MFC.

I agree with all you say, but imagine being a Saint or a Bulldog. Now that is the definition of lean times.

I agree with all you say, but imagine being a Saint or a Bulldog. Now that is the definition of lean times.

No doubt - and look I'm not gonna go on a "woe is Melbourne" rant - fact is we are the 4th most successful club since 1897. It's just I'd rather see us consistently thereabouts and winning one every so often rather than have a great history that I can only read about.

Also I appreciate what you're saying about Saints/Dogs but to be frank I couldn't give a rats about them - we should be comparing ourselves to the best and not the worst. On the flipside imagine being a Blue or Bomber and having seen multiple flags or if not at least being able to watch them on DVD.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

It's not only from season to season this happens (chocolates to boiled lollies) but within seasons as well and potentially games. We have never been a consistent side as long as I have been watching the Demons.

You are right on the money

My whole point being what has been learnt from past years?

From our track record. nothing.

We go from even par with debt, only to fall back into heavy debt.

We build a good team, that gets good results, to having everything implode before our eyes.

When we mange to build, and just need an elite player or two, only to see a solid base fall apart, not many or enough players seem to hang around, so to allow us to be a force year after year.

The same seems to apply at board level, badly managed, or hamstrung or both.

Hopefully from 2012 onwards we can show consistancy on all fronts and we can safely say, we arent going broke, and our player group

can stay at a competive level year after year.

That means when we lose players, we can replace them, as not to fail away that much we cant win a game.

Stynes and Co have us in good shape atm, lets hope that continues without the money coming in, the club performance suffers on all fronts

All the hype right now is positive, and hopes are high.

How many times over the years has this happened, only to last a few years, then we are again scrapping the bottom

From 2012, lets hope we never fall away, and are always there abouts.

To be consistant on all levels.

No doubt - and look I'm not gonna go on a "woe is Melbourne" rant - fact is we are the 4th most successful club since 1897. It's just I'd rather see us consistently thereabouts and winning one every so often rather than have a great history that I can only read about.

Also I appreciate what you're saying about Saints/Dogs but to be frank I couldn't give a rats about them - we should be comparing ourselves to the best and not the worst. On the flipside imagine being a Blue or Bomber and having seen multiple flags or if not at least being able to watch them on DVD.

I totally agree Dr. Thompson. I want to watch our flags on DVD. I do not compare the MFC to St. Fail or the westies, but some do, and frankly since the late 60's they sadly have a case.

You are right on the money

My whole point being.. what has been learnt from past years ??

From our track record. nothing

We go from even par with debt' date=' only to fall back into heavy debt

We build a good team, that gets good results, to having everything implode before our eyes

When we mange to build, and just need an elite player or two, only to see a solid base

fall apart, not many or enough players seem to hang around, so to allow us to be a force

year after year.

The same seems to apply at board level, badly managed, or hamstrung or both.[/quote']

I agree and I think part of the problem is we are always playing catch-up instead of trying to get ahead of the curve. The main issue from what I have read was our struggle to get with the modern times after the "golden era" of 1955-1964. We seemed to really struggle to make the transition from amateur to professional and wrapped in this was the MCC silvertail/boys club/fair play culture as well. I think we have made some real progress in the last 5-10 years and hopefully we can get to the point where we finally get our off-field right so that we can concentrate on the on-field and give the team the best chance of attaining success.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

great thread/opening post

the yo-yo syndrome is not just a seasonal thing, but a weekly thing

2004, we beat the Hawks by 44 points in round 18 to find ourselves on top of the ladder. We then lose the last 4, pushing us to an elimination final and have the Dons end our season with a 5 point loss. Ouch.

2005, we win Queen's Birthday by 45 points to be sitting 2nd with 10 games left to play. We lose 7 in a row, then, somehow scrape back into the 8 by winning the last 3 by a total of 15 points. Then we are pummeled out of the finals by the Cats, whom we had beaten at skilled 3 weeks earler. Ouch.

2006, we beat the dogs by 51 in r17 and sit 3rd on the ladder. We lose 3.5 of the last 5, but actually manage to win a final. Then we are bundled out by Freo

how's that for a three-peat of squandered chances...

great thread/opening post

the yo-yo syndrome is not just a seasonal thing, but a weekly thing

2004, we beat the Hawks by 44 points in round 18 to find ourselves on top of the ladder. We then lose the last 4, pushing us to an elimination final and have the Dons end our season with a 5 point loss. Ouch.

2005, we win Queen's Birthday by 45 points to be sitting 2nd with 10 games left to play. We lose 7 in a row, then, somehow scrape back into the 8 by winning the last 3 by a total of 15 points. Then we are pummeled out of the finals by the Cats, whom we had beaten at skilled 3 weeks earler. Ouch.

2006, we beat the dogs by 51 in r17 and sit 3rd on the ladder. We lose 3.5 of the last 5, but actually manage to win a final. Then we are bundled out by Freo

how's that for a three-peat of squandered chances...

Appalling record isn't it. You got to wonder how the training was structured back then. Mentally fragile sides week after week.

I think you'll find that each of those years and after those games we had assured ourselves of a finals spot .

Once we got to this position we got lazy and took the foot off the pedal .

I remember 1 year (possibly 2004) we were needing to beat bottom side Carlton at Edihad to get top4 late in the season .

We lost to them for the second time that year . The only player Carlton had was Fev who kicked 5 .

Can't remember leaving a game more disgusted .

Edited by My TD