Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What is our perfect foward line

dees189227

Jamar needs to stay out - has to change off the bench to give him a good rest and prolong his career.

^^^^

agreed, Jamar is a terrible forward.

Has no forward smarts, kicking for goal is abysmal and doesn't take enough contested marks up front for his size.

People are still living off that Carlton game where he kicked 5 goals in 2009.

You can't do that anymore. The three sub rule means that we will face teams who will rotate runners off the bench.

We cannot afford to have Jamar slow us down.

I agree that he isn't a great forward but all he has to do is sit in the square behind Clark and compete - bring the ball to ground.

That doesn't seem too arduous.

Howe Watts Petterd

Green Clark Jurrah

Am worried that Green will be taken out of the foward line for a role on the wing but I hope not he plays his best footy in the foward 50, also hope petterd is favoured but wont be surprised if he is left out :(

Interesting to see if Davey plays foward or back, or keeps a spot at all?

Heaver Bennett Sullivan

Lamprill Holland Eishold

Yep. Eishold can be relied upon to kick critical goals, especially late in games when the pressure is really on. (Sorry Simon, I couldn't resist ........ but I also know that a few others missed very gettable last quarter goals in that game).

I don't see any real suggestions for that small forward role- I believe unless we draft one it will depend on how Neeld wants use Davey.

If he wants him to resume his "quarter-back" role maybe we can try Blease (unlikely) bennell maybe Jetta. Would rather Blease takes Daveys post coming out of defense and we give Jetta another shot at making a position his own. I believe he has a lot to offer!

Green, Watts Howe/Aussie

Sylvia, Clark, Jurrah/Petterd

I want Col to be able to swing through the guts and kick 50+ metre goals. Green out of the square as a hit up or contested mark. Aussie or Howe depending on form. Howe to push up if need be.

I like Ricky deep in our forward line so Watts may need to come out and push up the ground and work in tandem with Big Mitch.

ricky jackson is a must have in that forward line.............

My favorite front page headline from the old school record - 'Rover Ricky roosts four' - really don't know why that one sticks out, however we really didn't get much front cover action in those days.

However this thread needs way more Jakovich.

How about this one - might be just a little top heavy though:

Spalding Schwarz (pre knee) Lyon

Jakovich Bennett Neitz

Howe Watts Sylvia

Jurrah Clark Green

Petterd rotating through half forward/mid with Sylvia.

Very flexible depending on match-ups, Jurrah could play half forward and Howe or Green could float deep or push up at half forward.

Good options. Could play Bennell in the pocket at times through rotations and creating havoc or getting "dangerous" by stretching oppositions for right match-ups.

As Watts gains confidence in one-on ones and strength, could even try mixing it up positionally with Clark. Probably best against younger opposition initially in progress.

C: Watts

HF: Sylvia Clark Petterd

FF: Green Howe Jurrah

S: Bennell/Bail/Tapscott

In the future - Out Green, In dangerous crumbing forward.

Where is Watts I hear you asking? Well at the moment I think I'd like to give him one more year playing wing, half back and some time forward. Whilst we've got Clark, Howe, Jurrah and Green we probably can't fit anoter tall in the set up. Clark and Howe are the best targets to kick to, they can rotate through CHF and deeper, with Martin/Jamar also taking time at FF. Long term Watts might be a CHF, but he also might be a Goddard/Goodes style player. I doubt he will ever be an elite pack mark, but he can be elite and speed for his size, work rate and clean skills in and out of traffick. I'd let him use those skills next year.

Eventually I'm tipping we move Clark to second ruck/FF, Watts to CHF and just play the one ruckmen. We've got the guys like Howe and Jurrah that will let us do that. In the mean time I'd go with the structure above.

The sub position will be important to our forward line. Too often this year we didn't have great options as the sub. To have someone like Bail, Bennell or Tapscott as sub who can come on and play wing, half back or half forward would be handy. Especially whilst we are short on a crumber someone like Bennell can come on up forward and lift the forward pressure. I'm also looking forward to a fitter Jurrah who can really develop his defensive game whilst being freed up by legitimate tall options.

And can we squeeze Fred Fanning, Jack Mueller and Norm Smith in there somewhere.

Would have loved to have seen these 3 play - though I've read a bit about them

Fanning kicked 18 in his last game yeah ? Not a bad way to leave the game !

The five players I would start with are Clark, Jurrah, Watts, Howe and Green. Clarke to play FF (permanently), Jurrah and Howe to play as higher marking options, Green and Watts to float in and out, pushing up onto a wing as required.

Martin/Jamar, as the resting ruckman, would also provide a big-bodied presence down there.

We would also need a small forward, along the lines of Wonna, Jetta, Bennell, even Davey, or maybe Tapscott in the future. Someone to crumb.

My best forward line for start of 2012 depending on form and fitness would be:

Green Bate Jurrah

Davey Clark Petterd.

with Bate maybe interchanging with either the two ruckman- Jamar /Martin and Howe on the interchange bench..

My best forward line for start of 2012 depending on form and fitness would be:

Green Bate Jurrah

Davey Clark Petterd.

with Bate maybe interchanging with either the two ruckman- Jamar /Martin and Howe on the interchange bench..

What? No Watts? Maybe a midfield forward possy for Jack, till he bulks up.

It's much easier to pick the forwards with a big versatile 200cm target as one of the options.

Neeld said on Saturday that he has a number of different possibilities; he just has to find the right combination. A bit like Melbourne Victory atm.

Neeld said on Saturday that he has a number of different possibilities; he just has to find the right combination. A bit like Melbourne Victory atm.

True.

Reckon we should look at shifting Green back and playing that kicker role.

So

Petterd Watts Howe

Jurrah Clark Aussie

I really like the idea of Petterd, Watts and Howe across CHF and the flanks. All 3 provide strong marking targets around 70m from goal, but importantly also have the athleticism to create forward pressure so that the opposition can't easily waltz out of defence (which is what happened when Bate and Dunn played across half forward).

Green, Jurrah and Clarke should occupy the full forward line. Green plays his best footy as a goal kicker and is easily capable of 40-50 goal season, which is invaluable. Jurrah has such incredible natural goal sense, he should be given lots of free reign, but should be given as many opportunities to kick goals as possible. Clarke was brought in to be a big target at full forward- he will release pressure on Jurrah, will take the number 1 defender and always create a contest. His athletacism doesn't make his a lumbering giant either.

Of coarse, I'd like to see the likes of Sylvia and Trengove spend time up forward, but should primarily be midfielders before forwards. Our midfield is so bad, we can't afford to have two of our best spending time at full forward when we have so many other options.

Jamar and Martin will definitely spend some time up forward if we really want to stretch a defence with height.

Also, for the record, I don't see how Bate can fit in to our forward line, unless he overtakes Howe or Petterd on a forward flank, which i see as unlikely. I'm also not a fan of putting Davey as a forward pocket. Davey just needs confidence, at his best he can be a really damaging wingman.

The main missing link is a forward pocket. We've tried to draft a few over the years, but still haven't found a quality one. Wonaeamirri might not even be at the club next year, Jetta is a midfielder, Bennel a wingman, Maric delisted, Lawrence a rookie... we need to draft a quality one asap!

Basically:

Howe Watts Petterd

Jurrah, Clarke, Green + ??Crumber??

Sylvia/Trengove/Jamar/Martin floating through at certain times

True.

Reckon we should look at shifting Green back and playing that kicker role.

So

Petterd Watts Howe

Jurrah Clark Aussie

Green is a good set shot (well, before this year anyway), but his field kicking isn't the best. He tends to kick up and unders, rather than low bullets, particulary on the run. I don't think he is really suited to half back

What? No Watts? Maybe a midfield forward possy for Jack, till he bulks up.

It's much easier to pick the forwards with a big versatile 200cm target as one of the options.

Firstly welcome back,I believe WATTS may play on the wing to develop him further by Neeld.Hope to see you at training next Monday