Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Lutz

I've said this in another thread but if we use both compo picks then I want something back.

Both compo picks + Pick 12 for Pick 1 mini and Pick 9

maybe upgrade our 2nd round pick too.

This would mean that our pick 12 isnt adding any value to the deal?

pick 12 and then they give back pick 9

GC being rumored to offer pick 4 and a compo pick means we need all 3 pick s to beat them

So GWS would offer someting back in this case more in the region of (Collingwoods first pick 25) which they just received

Edit - i think 3 first rounders is overs imo thats heaps and would rather just offer 2 first rounders for Crouch who i really like alot

Edited by Jordie_tackles

This would mean that our pick 12 isnt adding any value to the deal?

Thats right. 2 compo picks beats pick 4 and 1 compo in my eyes.

I would much rather not give up both comp picks. At all.

Edited by UTAH

Thats right. 2 compo picks beats pick 4 and 1 compo in my eyes.

I would much rather not give up both comp picks. At all.

I which reality?

Pick 4 is ALWAYS valuable i doubt we could get pick 4 for 2 first rounders around 10-12

Also wouldnt one compo pick balance each other out? and then its pick 4 vs one comp pick around 10?

Edited by Jordie_tackles

As strong as next year's draft is meant to be, it will probably mean that every team will use their compo picks in that draft, further diluting it. The players we might target may not end up being there. It might better suit us to give away these picks for players that we really want, now.

• Like 1

Demon Disciple spot on. This mini draft is the best way for Melbourne to secure elite talent. It opens the door for demons to fully utilize the compensation picks on a player/s that would be taken at the top end of next years draft and even this years. These 17 year olds can come to the club straight away and train with the club like any player taken in the draft. They can also play VFL football with the affiliate club in Melbournes case Casey so imagine how beneficial this would be to have an O'meara/Crouch + J.Viney training together with senior melbourne players for a full year, so when they are eligible to lineup in 2013 they would be a year ahead in development than those taken in next years drat....

Melbourne clearly is interested in securing a 17yr old just have to look at demons website interview with Tim Harrington to confirm that one. And it is Jaeger O'meara they are targeting this deal for the #1 pick at 17yr olds will take up the majority of trade week (has to be done by Thursday) it is not everyday an opportunity like this comes along. In case of Crouch who many expect to be #2 pick he is heavily sought after by the Dog's who WILL part with compensation pick and potentially pick 17 from this years draft although they dont want to but thier hand could be forced, as i would also expect Geelong to make a play for Crouch. It is a matter of opinion who you beleive to be better but either way by all accounts you are securing a future star the reason O'meara is touted so highly is that he has that X factor about his play he has the ability to be consistently very good throughout a game and then blow it apart in space of 5 min burst this mixed with obvious skill and athletic ability places him at the top of the pecking order.

Prendergast, Harrington etc need to work on securing the players Neeld believes are required to win a flag but seriously if you had the opportunity to trade for a 17 year old C. Judd what would you give up?? you never get anything for free in AFL although getting a J Viney for any pick outside top 5 is getting a steal, and that is why with him locked away throw caution to the wind and do your best to secure O'meara or Crouch (who is also a gun) use the picks and get it done Demons.

I which reality?

Pick 4 is ALWAYS valuable i doubt we could get pick 4 for 2 first rounders around 10-12

Also wouldnt one compo pick balance each other out? and then its pick 4 vs one comp pick around 10?

Yeah pick 4 is valuable. But when GWS have pick 1,2,3,5,7,9,11,14,15.

I think they would rather the compensation picks.

if you had the opportunity to trade for a 17 year old C. Judd what would you give up??

I would give up both comp picks, pick 12 and every list clogger that they wanted.

There is no guarantee that he will be as good as Judd though. And that's the problem.

I think we should be able to get Crouch for something around a price of one of our compensation picks.

It looks like O'Meera is going to GCS plus pick 9 in exchange for picks 4 and 11 (Geelong's mid draft compensation pick).

That equates to something like pick 6 when you average out the two sides to the deal. We're a little short of that, but we're asking for pick 2 in the mini draft not pick 1 also. We could trade one of our compensation picks plus a player such as Bate or Warnock in exchange for pick two in the mini draft.

Yeah pick 4 is valuable. But when GWS have pick 1,2,3,5,7,9,11,14,15.

I think they would rather the compensation picks.

Yes but they still get a kid the quality of pick 4, i can understand why they might like to spread the value across 2-3 drafts but it is like the saying goes "always best available"

Thats how i look at it,

Would you trade pick 4 this year for both our compensation picks? assuming there wasnt other options like the 17yo's?

Yes but they still get a kid the quality of pick 4, i can understand why they might like to spread the value across 2-3 drafts but it is like the saying goes "always best available"

Thats how i look at it,

Would you trade pick 4 this year for both our compensation picks? assuming there wasnt other options like the 17yo's?

If I were the Demons.

This draft? I really don't know.

If I was GWS.

No. No way in hell. I've got picks 1,2,3 and 5 plus a lot more. And I've already got some good 17 year olds from last year.

I would much rather spread my picks over a few years.

Honestly, I will be happy if we don't give up both compensation picks.

I have complete faith in the club not to overspend. If they think Pick 1 is worth both our comp picks and more then so be it.

I don't think they will use both. I think they will use the mid round comp pick and pick 12 for Crouch. (we might get an upgraded 2nd round pick)

Just been watching his highlight reel. He has the take off speed and handball of Scully but has a great kick on him too.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=124435

UTAH Your right no guarantee but is it worth a crack?

Gooner, GC are in prime position but reason why deal with GC hasnt already been signed off is because another club (Melbourne) has its fingers in the pie and are the only ones that appear to have the trade currency to disrupt the deal, this is why Marcus Ashcroft has said we have to weigh up just what we are prepared to give up for O'Meara.... they went in thinking straight swap pick 4 this year for O'meara well another club is making GWS think twice about that forcing GC to counter. I say fair enough make GC pay up as there going to be direct competition during our flag window so dont give them an easier ride. And if we can secure a crouch with just 1 compensation pick then yes would be a dream outcome. Bate has very little value maybe worth a 3rd round pick to someone and Warnock has already had medical at an interstate club maybe GWS not sure but wouldnt think he would carry too much trade value either. The trade value is in the Picks we have at our disposal not our players that cant get a regular game.

The Age, Big Footy and apparently Trade Radio saying GWS to trade U17 pick 1 (O'Meara) back to themselves via 3rd parties. Go to Big Footy for gory details.

http://www.bigfooty....ad.php?t=881242

can some one explain how this works and if we got the pick for Crouch would it upset that?

7. Incentive to other clubs trading with GWS Giants in the 2011 and 2012 post-season:

GWS Giants to be given access to four 17-year-olds born in the January to April 1994 window, with all players to be traded to other clubs. Selections will be allocated to GWS Giants so the club can trade for established players, but the club will not have access to these 17-year-olds. If the four trades are not completed in the 2011 post-season, the balance of up to four trades may be used in the 2012 trading period.

Seems like no loophole to me just plain English, they are not to have access. Cant see a Judge thinking this is a loophole.

The AFL should not allow the picks in the mini draft to be on traded... Cannot believe that they have left this as a "loophole" open. But I bet that Gubby Allan was thinking/planning this sort of thing all along. Pathetic if you ask me.

The AFL set these things in place to get mature players to the GWS so that they would not be a joke in the first year or two... and GWS is doing exactly the opposite... effectively bottoming out intentionally in the first couple of years by taking young players (Scully, Ward etc) and taking picks for the under 17 mini draft, rather than making plays for players who have been in the system for 5-6 years who they should be tempting over with the cash. They are funded by the AFL, they don't really care if they win a couple of spoons, it just means more young players and draft picks.

It's against the spirit of what the other clubs agreed to when these concessions were granted.... although spirit and integrity doesn't seem to mean as much these days as it used to. It's a business I guess :(

if the picks can be on traded, GWS can effectively use 2 other clubs as mules with a promise to upgrade their picks.... which means the pick can come back to them again.

Only thing preventing this from occuring in my view is that this has to occur as separate trades which means that one of the clubs could in theory stab the GWS in the back as a part of it.... Would LOVE to see that happen ;)

If they are allowed to do it then all 4 picks could go to them.

What a farce.

Seriously the AFL would have to admit that it had thrown out any semblence of intergrity in the game for the mighty dollar.

Oh noes - what sort of corrupt club would do that?

yeah yeah I know! :P

The issue I was trying to make was more that the AFL didn't want GWS and GC to be set up like the Bears were.... so they wanted these clubs to pick up some established players to be somewhat competitive. That's how I suspect the other clubs interpretted what was going to happen, and not that GWS would just ignore the "intent" of the concessions entirely.

I think GC have gone about this "generally" in the spirit of what was proposed. Do you think GWS have?

yeah yeah I know! :P

The issue I was trying to make was more that the AFL didn't want GWS and GC to be set up like the Bears were.... so they wanted these clubs to pick up some established players to be somewhat competitive. That's how I suspect the other clubs interpretted what was going to happen, and not that GWS would just ignore the "intent" of the concessions entirely.

I think GC have gone about this "generally" in the spirit of what was proposed. Do you think GWS have?

No I don't - but they might have been forced into this strategy because they couldn't attract any good mature players. Ablett was a bit of a special case.

True I guess, but to me personally, almost everything associated to the GWS feels slimey, and leaves a bad taste in ones mouth.

• Sheeds, Gubby Allan, Mark Williams all feel like snake oil salesmen,
  • The Recruiting guy (formerly from Nth) who was stood down for verbalising a fellow recruiter.
  • The Scully situation,
  • Basically all wrapped up with the feeling that the AFL will stop at nothing to ensure this club wins a premiership ASAP in order to try and get a foothold in a high risk area.

Just doesn't sit well with me.