Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

This is on BF -

Port contemplating picks 12, 36 and Matty Bate from the Dees in return for pick 6 + 51.

If it's on BF it's.....{insert own adjective}. I think it would be best if we all came back here next Monday.

Interesting situation.

A lot of cubs doing quite substantial list culling, in a year with a reportedly weak, and in particular shallow, draft. It does create a positive environment for moving n players who aren't outright duds but who haven't been performing at Melbourne.

It must be remembered that the 'first roud pick immediately after normal first round pick' will be worth comparatively more to clubs likely to finish bottom four, compared to the at least mid-table you'd hope for from Melbourne next year. We may yet be able to snag O'Meara ahead of Gold Coast - that pick is probably pick 2 for GWS despite only being worth about pick 10 for us.

The other pick (the mid first round) I think should be held onto. Used in either 2012 to keep us in the first round (aside from Viney, obviously), or even kept for another year or two and used to plug any gaps that appear once we've had a few years to look at all the kids we collected from the 2007-2009 drafts. Imagine a 2012 recruiting session that went O'Meara, Viney, and another mid-first round. Could be bigger than even the 08-09 drafts for us.

I think pick 12 this year ought to be off the table (barring insane offers). From the profiles popping up all over the place it looks like the one thing this draft does have is the kind of highly agile and skilled midfielder we need to just keep piling on. Enough to be as certain as you ever can be that we're getting a quality player for the long haul.

This is on BF -

Port contemplating picks 12, 36 and Matty Bate from the Dees in return for pick 6 + 51.

Geez, a bit rich. Youd want to be getting another 2nd rounder from somewhere as 51 isnt going to much chop this year.

You would really want a good deal half in the bag using 6 as well..

Its interesting though..Not perfect..but interesting.

It must be remembered that the 'first roud pick immediately after normal first round pick' will be worth comparatively more to clubs likely to finish bottom four, compared to the at least mid-table you'd hope for from Melbourne next year. We may yet be able to snag O'Meara ahead of Gold Coast - that pick is probably pick 2 for GWS despite only being worth about pick 10 for us.

That compo pick stays with the ORIGINAL club. It doesn't matter where the receiving club ends up on the ladder, it's locked into Melbourne's position. If we end up with Pick 9 next year, we'll be trading pick 10, not matter who it goes to.

Confusing I know ...

Think you've got this wrong - no matter who we trade the pick to it still comes after OUR pick in whichever draft it is used in - so for instance we trade the comp pick after our first round pick to GWS and we have pick 12 next year they get pick 13.

Our compensation picks stay locked to where we finish not whoever "owns" them at any time The second point i agree with unless a good deal for 12 comes up, It seems littered with nice Mids up until 14-15 imo

It might be the way we are trying to position ourselves for a crack in the 17yr mini draft. We might not be able to get the deal done with GC having pick 4 and us having 12. Pick 6 and a compo pick means that GC have to come up with a stronger package as well. Even if we can't pull it off it means GC have to up their price and weakens their position a little more.

It might be the way we are trying to position ourselves for a crack in the 17yr mini draft. We might not be able to get the deal done with GC having pick 4 and us having 12. Pick 6 and a compo pick means that GC have to come up with a stronger package as well. Even if we can't pull it off it means GC have to up their price and weakens their position a little more.

This is definately the situation, and you would simply straight up prefer pick 6 to 12 especially when it only costs us Bate

I was simply saying the compensation picks dont go off GWS's position off the club who owned it originally, so it will never be anything other than a pick 10 or so

Pick 4 and compo pick is stronger than pick 6 and compo pick. So I don't see why GC would have to come up with a stronger package, they trump us..

Like I said Port would be crazy..

If we did get O'Meara it would mean a gun midfield at Casey next year. Viney and O'Meara lining up together! Would pull a large number of Melbourne supporters in through the gate.

I don't understand why if we are able to draft this kid this year why we can't play him for 12 months! Seems a funny quirk in the rule!

This is definately the situation, and you would simply straight up prefer pick 6 to 12 especially when it only costs us Bate I was simply saying the compensation picks dont go off GWS's position off the club who owned it originally, so it will never be anything other than a pick 10 or so

Ahhh sorry, I probably wasn't clear in what I was replying to, I was referring to your second point about pick 12.... I got the bit about our compo pick. :)

... and incidentally I agree, I don't know why the other picks would get involved... but perhaps Port are rating the value of Pick 6 a fair bit higher, hence why we trade our 1st and 2nd picks for their 1st pick and their 3rd one (.... and Bate)

If we did get O'Meara it would mean a gun midfield at Casey next year. Viney and O'Meara lining up together! Would pull a large number of Melbourne supporters in through the gate.

I don't understand why if we are able to draft this kid this year why we can't play him for 12 months! Seems a funny quirk in the rule!

Not at all - it pretty simple actually. He is too young to play AFL next year, same with Viney.

I'd be stoked if we could nail a deal to get pick 6. Both my current 'draft crushes' - Buntine and Kavanagh, are tipped to go just before our pick 12.

So what's the equation? Is Matthew Bate plus 15 places in the delayed second round, worth about the same as six places up the front of the first round?

Or would a fair deal more likely be Bate+36 for Port's Pick 28?

They did ok out of the last red-head we gave them, so fair's fair. :)

Pick 4 and compo pick is stronger than pick 6 and compo pick. So I don't see why GC would have to come up with a stronger package, they trump us.. Like I said Port would be crazy..

Agree that they still trump us, but not by much. Do you know the value/type of Compo pick GC have to offer with pick 4? Ours possibly could be stronger. We still might offer a player as well to sweeten it (even though GWS have said they want picks)

Pick 6 just gets us closer to the mark if we are seriously trying to secure O'Meara...

Pick 4 and compo pick is stronger than pick 6 and compo pick. So I don't see why GC would have to come up with a stronger package, they trump us..

Like I said Port would be crazy..

Given that GC got their compo pick from the CAts (for Ablett deal) doesn't that mean the GC's first round compo occurs after the Cats (i.e. not GC or GWS) and given that the Cats are likely to finish higher than MFC for the next few years, that our Compo pick would be worth more??

Not at all - it pretty simple actually. He is too young to play AFL next year, same with Viney.

Well thats the draft rules and technically he would be drafted even though he is too young. Unlike Viney who will not be drafted till next year! So he is on our list, players have played at a younger age then this! He is moving out of home to come to Melbourne and because he is Western Australian he will have finished school which is one of the draft considerations.

Just seems a funny situation to draft a kid, have him train with the Melbourne main group and have to do the full work load of the other players yet be unavailable to play.

Sorry I don't see it so simply!

The pick that the Cats traded to Gold Coast FC is the mid- round one selection that can be used in 2012.

This makes sense, the Cats gave pick 15 for it which would be higher than they could use it for in 2 of the 5 years they have it due to all compensation picks not being active until after the first round when GC and GWS were getting there first draftees

Interested in Harringtons comments from his interview, regarding the mature players from other lists and who they realistically could be?

Nobody interested in this statement?

To me he said we HAVE been talking to mature player types from other clubs in exchange for Bate, Warnock, Maric types ect

• Like 1