Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Happy to trade any of Jones, Moloney, Rivers, Davey, Green, Bate(not for nothing, still have small hopes), Dunn(delist), Warnock(delist), Spencer, Maric(delist), Spencer(delist), Campbell(delist).

I'd even consider trading Jamar to land O'Meara.

Wonaemirri needs to answer the question before starting next year otherwise delist

To those who think we should trade Jurrah. Remember his biggest downfalls are his tank and his hardness. He'll be forced to work on his tank and as a born leader he'll grow into the hardness of AFL. He's a natural at the game and with strong coaching and leadership around him should flourish in this game. Only time will tell but I think trading him would be a massive mistake.

• Like 1

If he was at the Hawks with their leadership culture, he would be totally different to how he is with us.

This is more a blight on the MFC, than Jurrah......

NO! way would i trade Liam Jurrah... the most marketable and exciting player on our list...

:wacko:

NO! way would i trade Liam Jurrah... the most marketable and exciting player on our list...

Crap. He (Jurrah) has put in some great cameos, and shown some real talent.

But, he has a long way to go before he is a real star of the game.

My prediction: I reckon he will walk away from the game in the near distant.

Crap. He (Jurrah) has put in some great cameos, and shown some real talent.

But, he has a long way to go before he is a real star of the game.

My prediction: I reckon he will walk away from the game in the near distant.

I doubt that.

He seems to have an effload of commitment to come from where he has come from to start this. From here it's easier.

He will be here for a decade.

Thats right. But I'm saying it's both. And the reason I'm saying it is so we can do something about it. Players play for the crowds accolades, and take confidence from the plaudits and push harder if their not getting the applause.

We give our accolades to cheaply. For negative results.

THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2011 by The Oracle

Part Two: LOOKING FOR BLACK CAVIAR

The story goes that Greater Western Sydney Giants coach Kevin Sheedy was at last week's Draft Combine watching the 20m sprints when he received a call from Peter Moody who trains the champion mare Black Caviar.

"I'm just at the draft camp," Sheedy said. "We're looking for the next Black Caviar."

Sheeds had every reason to be lording it up at Etihad Stadium for the Draft Combine testing as he currently holds most of the aces for the 2011 AFL Draft. His club has nine of the first fifteen selections which means he has a virtual smorgasbord of youthful football talent at his disposal but whether this year's offering  can produce a Black Caviar equivalent remains questionable. 

The good judges argue that, while there might be some potential stars in the field, there are no world beaters of the Black Caviar variety. Moreover, the depth in this year's field is not all that strong. For the record, the best performers at Etihad Stadium last week are shown in the 2011 Draft Combine Results but, interestingly, some of the biggest names of the upcoming draft were "no shows" in testing because of injury.

With the draft over a month away there's plenty of time to consider the merits of the prospective draftees and their Combine performances but, in the meantime, Sheedy continues to hold court in the shadows of tomorrow's AFL's trade week opening and the AFL's 18th club will be pulling the strings for the entire seven and a half days because the Giants are pivotal in respect of so many aspects of this trade week.

Apart from the plethora of early draft picks awarded to them, there are two rules that give the Giants substantial bargaining power. The new franchise has the right to list or trade any player who has been on a club list or has been overlooked in previous drafts. Last year, this rule applied to the Gold Coast Suns who listed Andrew Krakouer and on-traded him and another player to Collingwood. A number of other trades were also completed in the same manner.

According to this report in the Age, the rule is about to be used to enable the first trade of 2011 whereby Collingwood will give up its first draft choice (# 25) for its former player Martin Clarke from Ireland and Murray Bushrangers' over age player Jamie Elliott as well as a late pick. In a separate deal, Richmond will acquire Steve Morris, the son of Sheedy's former teammate at the Tigers in Kevin Morris via a swap of first-round picks with GWS getting pick No. 14 for it's number 15 selection.

There will also be interest in whether the Giants will, under the same rule, list and retain or on-trade the likes of Casey's Tim Mohr and the Northern Bullants' Ahmed Saad who both stood out in testing at the Draft Combine. Saad's story is unusual. He played soccer in Egypt as a youngster and only took up our game when he was sixteen to help make up numbers in a local junior team.   

Much has already been said of the Mini Draft for 17 year olds which GWS will no doubt use to parlay into a combination of established players and future draft picks. It will also be interesting to see how much strength the clubs place on recruiting players who are ineligible to play for another 18 months and whether clubs will, for tactical reasons, delay their bidding until the last moment on Thursday.

The timing of the Mini Draft could have the effect of stalling many of the exchanges until later in the week but there will always be one or two trades that will be done independently. We can expect some action with players like Brisbane's Mitch Clark and Eagle Brad Ebert who have asked to be traded to enable them to return home and others such as those mentioned in speculation and referred to in this trade talk article.

Another feature of the trade week will be the father/son selections of which there are three nominations - Jed Bews, the son of former Geelong captain Andrew Bews, Dylan Buckley, son of  former Carlton champion Jimmy Buckley and Tom Mitchell, son of Barry Mitchell, who could have been claimed by Carlton or Sydney but has opted for the latter and will, in all likelihood, cost the Swans their first pick in the national draft.  

What it all boils down to is that the essence of trade week is the incessant speculation, rumours and innuendo that attend it but the final result is mostly disappointing. A great deal of the hype surrounding the week will end up being of little or no substance and the odds are strong that we will not witness a Black Caviar changing colours over the course of the next eight days.        

The Oracle will be back from time to time over coming days to bring his spin on the unfolding events of trade week.

This thread will merge with Trade Week Discussion at the end of Trade Week Day One.

Moloney - I reckon we'd be the first club in history to actually trade the B&F winner of that year, forgetting that he'd be in contention for the captaincy next year.

Jurrah - One of a few marketable players, he had a bad year in 2011, but one bad year at his age does not mean he is done and should be traded. Had a hell of a lot to deal with, and I knew a tough year would come once the opposition started to respect his ability, once he becomes a second/third tall forward with a knack for crumming we will see his true ability.

Rivers - Much the same as Moloney, and he has always had so much support for his leadership abilities, something we sorely lack.

Green and Davey both had terrible years, but they are experienced players, again something we lack. I'm backing both of them to get back on track in 2012, but they may need to adjust their playing styles to Neeled's.

Reading into what Damian Barrett is saying on Twitter, I feel we'll try to offload a few of our picks with the likes of Bate/Dunn/Maric and perhaps Spencer as sweeteners. Especially when he says that we've got room from Scully's departure.

Pretty sure North traded Bell to Fremantle after winning B&F....although he asked to leave I believe

I doubt that.

He seems to have an effload of commitment to come from where he has come from to start this. From here it's easier.

He will be here for a decade.

Not sure. Getting here was hype. Staying here is the hard part I reckon.

Also, Jurrah is not your normal AFL player: talk of him being involved in a trade is ridiculous i believe. He will play for MFC or no-one.

Have been on demonland about every second day for a few weeks but not bothered posting. But i feel compelled to respond to suggestions we should trade Jurrah (or even consider it!).

I don't have the the stats at hand but he averages more than 2 goals a game in a side that has struggled for goals. His first season was on the back of no pre season at all pretty much. His second season he badly hurt his shoulder in the pre season. Last season the club was in disarray off field - and for a young fella in a completely foreign culture a stable club environment is absolutely crucial.

He has the x factor we so desperately lack. Not hard enough, goes missing - please. He was asked to be our key forward last season when patently he is never going to be a key forward. He needs a big bodied forward to create some holes and take the best defender. Imagine him playing with Neita. He would thrive just as the Whiz did. Imagine him at Hawthorn, Geelong or Collingwood. They would kill to have him.

Sure he can work on his defensive pressure. He will. A stable culture, some support up forward , some solid coaching (brown will be a huge support for him)and some decent bloody supply (not floating speculative helicopters into the forward line) and he will thrive.

Since when can Melbourne afford to give away a player of Jurrah's obvious skill and talent? I repeat he averages more than 2 goals a game. Who comes close to that in our team,indeed for a non key position player in the league?

I want to watch some players who make me enjoy footy through their sheer talent and sublime skills. Players like Rioli, Franklin, Johnson et al. Jurrah is one such player and for mine the most exciting player at the dees since the Wizard left. It's hard enough following the redlegs without jettisoning players with a gift. Get rid of him? You've got to be joking.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

Have been on demonland about every second day for a few weeks but not bothered posting. But i feel compelled to respond to suggestions we should trade Jurrah (or even consider it!).

I don't have the the stats at hand but he averages more than 2 goals a game in a side that has struggled for goals. His first season was on the back of no pre season at all pretty much. His second season he badly hurt his shoulder in the pre season. Last season the club was in disarray off field - and for a young fella in a completely foreign culture a stable club environment is absolutely crucial.

He has the x factor we so desperately lack. Not hard enough, goes missing - please. He was asked to be our key forward last season when patently he is never going to be a key forward. He needs a big bodied forward to create some holes and take the best defender. Imagine him playing with Neita. He would thrive just as the Whiz did. Imagine him at Hawthorn, Geelong or Collingwood. They would kill to have him.

Sure he can work on his defensive pressure. He will. A stable culture, some support up forward , some solid coaching (brown will be a huge support for him)and some decent bloody supply (not floating speculative helicopters into the forward line) and he will thrive.

Since when can Melbourne afford to give away a player of Jurrah's obvious skill and talent? I repeat he averages more than 2 goals a game. Who comes close to that in our team,indeed for a non key position player in the league?

I want to watch some players who make me enjoy footy through their sheer talent and sublime skills. Players like Rioli, Franklin, Johnson et al. Jurrah is one such player and for mine the most exciting player at the dees since the Wizard left. It's hard enough following the redlegs without jettisoning players with a gift. Get rid of him? You've got to be joking.

Bit silly the thought of trading Jurrah I would have thought. He has done just a little for his people himself and us Demon supporters of late. Further I have this bloody TShirt at home that I intend to wear with pride once we get moving a little bit.

More interested right now in how we avoid being the dumping gound for others "B" graders and secure either a new leader in Goddard (might need to trade only one compensation pick and our first rounder) or one of the two highly touted 17YO's. (Seemingly would require the kitchen sink + players). Accordingly I favor the first option of a tried and true topliner who we know has the goods.

Both Scully compo picks + Aaron Davey too GWS for O'meara. Maric too Essendon, Alwyn Davey too GWS, GWS 2nd round pick too Melbourne ???

Pick 12 & Bate too Adelaide for Dangerfield.

Personally i think Crouch is far more likely than O'meara. Winning anything more than token out of those three wanting out is unlikely, maybe pick upgrades, swaps or nothing.

Would love Dangerfield who has obvious talent and courage but "tank" problems. Still has a lot of growth left in him as a player.

• Like 1

If we dont land O'meara, Crouch would be a great get! We should be able to land one of them I would think.

If not! I would be very very happy if we used both compo picks on Andrew Gaff next season.

Edited by jungle dee

Personally i think Crouch is far more likely than O'meara. Winning anything more than token out of those three wanting out is unlikely, maybe pick upgrades, swaps or nothing.

Would love Dangerfield who has obvious talent and courage but "tank" problems. Still has a lot of growth left in him as a player.

To say nothing about how l;ong he takes to get off the ground after a tackle :unsure: No thanks

To say nothing about how l;ong he takes to get off the ground after a tackle :unsure: No thanks

I don't understand the question/statement.

• Like 1

Good summary the Oracle.

Fingers crossed we get ourselves a Black Caviar nonetheless. Unlikely, but you never know...

Regarding the Father/Son selection of Tom Mitchell, Freamantle were very interested in him and nominated him using their pick 16, forcing the Swans to use their first pick in the national draft, so Tom Mitchell will go to Sydney at pick 21.

Bews will go to Geelong and Buckley to Carlton with their last picks.

I don't understand the question/statement.

try opening your memory cells there Dandee... Hint ..Trengove

Saints must trade to fix salary cap

I wonder how this might affect things in a knock on manner.

StKilda doesnt really want to nor really afford to lose anyone of merit, but they might not have as much choice in the matter as theyd like.

How is it that the Saints are found to be in breach of the salary cap, yet can possibly go unsanctioned???

A "Claytons" breach - the breach you're having when you're not have a breach

A "Claytons" breach - the breach you're having when you're not have a breach

I think they are not in breach for season 2011 but projections for 2012 have them over the cap for next year so they need to either get some players to take pay cuts or trade out some experienced highly payed players and replace them with new draftees who are significantly cheaper.