Mark Neeld

Real Demon

I want to be optimistic, but Bailey came to Melbourne is high praise, and 2008-2011 is by far the most frustrating as a Demons supporter. I don't dislike Bailey and I think he's put together a ripping team, but the capacity of head coach is different to assistant coach. Some make it, some don't. I want to see results.

Who wins the premierships cocko, the man in the box?

So are you saying coaches are over-rated? Why are you worried about the appointment then?

And you can't do much better than win a flag can you?

What exactly is your argument?

When I first started listening, first thing I heard was Gazza say "there will be an announcement tomorrow afternoon". I went "woo hoo" and made my post. He then said he wouldn't confirm nor deny, but there would be an announcement tomorrow, hence my edit. That said, having actually heard it, I would put my house on it as you could hear it in his voice. I also would not be surprised if there was a twist along the lines of a Director of Coaching etc, as it sounded like Gazza had something up his sleeve.

Thanks for posting that WYL, very interesting to read. Look forward to his first serious huddle now :)

I just watched the interviews on Insider, pretty switched on fella, I must say.

No stress Kento, i got on MMM about 1 minute in so couldnt pick up on much.....we will find out whats on tomorrow i guess

There will be a few 'experienced' coaches sitting on the bench next year who would've loved to coach the Dees. We overlooked them.

You can read into that that we had higher expectations.

Neeld, if he's our man, will be good. Very good. I would like to see Neil Craig at the club in some capacity too. Or, of course, Mick Malthouse.

RB I hope you are bloody right.

If Craig or another former senior coach is assisting I will breath a bit easier.

I just hope next season after a loss we dont have to hear (especially cause we were fed so much BS this year after games) that "the players are getting used to a new game plan" and we a r young and developing. I have heard that enough lately.

Edited by DemonOX

"An experience with Mark Neeld"

and for those that have not seen him in action, its quite an interesting experience, he stares the players in the eye and he speaks very softly, you can't really hear what he says, then he suddenly rips into yelling, then very quickly, back to speaking softly and quietly, it really is captivating to see him in action.

I hope this gives people who haven't seen him, a small insight to the power he has as a coach... A bloody good one in my opinion. And one that would be a very valuable asset to the Geelong NOW MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB B)

A bit like Brad Gotch :unsure:

What a joke.

We end up with another novice.

Might as well have kept Bailey.

are you serious? A novice? So I imagine he just eats ice cream down at collingwood all day and doesn't have any involvment with the best team going around at the moment.

On ya bike then. Bailey was experienced at Port, big difference between them and the Pies I'd suggest.

What is your point? Perhaps you did not know that Bailey was development coach at Essendon for their 2000 premiership? Perhaps you did not know that Bailey was assistant coach at Port for their 2004 premiership plus a couple of minor premierships. I'd suggest that is a better record than Neeld.

So are you saying coaches are over-rated? Why are you worried about the appointment then?

And you can't do much better than win a flag can you?

What exactly is your argument?

I don't think we need to spend the house on M&M or any other Coolingwood gameplan officionardo. MFC list is not the filth list.

What is your point? Perhaps you did not know that Bailey was development coach at Essendon for their 2000 premiership? Perhaps you did not know that Bailey was assistant coach at Port for their 2004 premiership plus a couple of minor premierships. I'd suggest that is a better record than Neeld.

Did Bailey have a rep on the level with the rep that Neeld has from people who know? I think not. I mentioned Port. Sorry I didn't mention Essendon, my bad. There are only a few of you doom and gloomers out there, majority of people seem to think that it is a very wise appointment. How many were saying that when Bailey got appointed?? Not many. Speaks volumes to me. Port of 04 were light years from the Pies of 10/11, and he gets a hell of alot of credit for where the pies are now.

are you serious? A novice? So I imagine he just eats ice cream down at collingwood all day and doesn't have any involvment with the best team going around at the moment.

Not sure about eating ice cream but he has not coached an AFL team before. Consequently "novice" is correct descriptor.

Wikipedia: "A novice is a person or creature who is new to a field or activity. The term is most commonly applied in religion and sports"

Macquarie Dictionary: "One who is new to the circumstances"

Not sure about eating ice cream but he has not coached an AFL team before. Consequently "novice" is correct descriptor.

Wikipedia: "A novice is a person or creature who is new to a field or activity. The term is most commonly applied in religion and sports"

Getting a first time coach just means we couldn't land a big fish. With the way our club is run at the moment and our finances, that's hardly a surprise. I have no problem with Neeld, in fact I am excited and I think he will be super. But he will fail unless we get him a strong team of assistant coaches. We have to get Craig, or Eade or someone else with real cred to support Neeld. Because at the end of the day, being an assistant to Malthouse at the most resourced club in Australia is a far cry from being the main man at Melbourne.

It would have been nice just for once for the Dees to land a "Big Fish" instead of another "no name" type coach.

(When I told my wife who was our coach she said WHO just like we both did when Bailey was appointed, hopefully its not a sign!!)

Being from Adelaide, would you prefer Neil Craig to be our senior Coach??

I wouldn't..

If this is the case, we have done very well indeed. Gotten the best senior assistant coach up for grabs, as well as attained the enormous experience and sport science knowledge of Neill Craig!

If that's the case, then we have done awesome and I am fired up!!!!

Me too Choko, aside from getting MM (who unfortunately seems not to have been available) this is the best best option.

It would have been nice just for once for the Dees to land a "Big Fish" instead of another "no name" type coach.

(When I told my wife who was our coach she said WHO just like we both did when Bailey was appointed, hopefully its not a sign!!)

Problem is DeOx, how can we catch something that was never in the pond in the first place?

Will Neeld stay on at the pies for the finals? Too much intellectual property at stake, I would think. Hopefully he can bring some of it to us.

Doesn't bother me either way. The sooner he comes the better, however, hiring a 2-time premiership senior assistant coach would bring in even more success.

Now I like the look of Neeld and Craig. Bring on 2012!

Yep, Craig's defensive mindset as well as vast expertise in sports science will do wonders at our club. And Neeld's experience gained from possibly a 2xpremiership winning team can only be a good thing. What's more, we'd have brought in 2 people with fantastic credentials that is outside of the old mates' club. A big round of applause to one G Lyon if this is what transpires!!!

We are bringing in 2 highly regarded people from 2 very well run organisations. And have stolen Neeld from the grasps of Adelaide's hands!!! And it's a Friday night too!!! And we're not gonna lose this week either!!! You fukin beauty!!!

Edited by Demon Disciple

Craig is as close to a BIG FISH as you will get without actually getting one, the fact that he may be in a senior assistant role ect really speaks volumes for Neeld to start with

Neeld is meant to have one of the best football brains in the business. full stop.

I am not one to judge a coach as I dont know enough. However why do l feel like we are replacing Dean Bailey with Dean Bailey? Senior Assistant at premiership winning club. Played VFL but was a battler. Appears to be an educator and a builder of young mens confidence.

Yep, not much chop as a player, clearly, just like our Dean. Bailey was an assistant at two premiership clubs. Meaningless. Maybe he's a new Clarkson/Lyon. Here's hoping.