Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Experts in the Media Getting It Wrong

Whispering_Jack

During the last week, I've had a bit of a cold so whilst at home the other day, I decided to catch up with my backlog of unwatched TV programmes which included a recent episode of AFL360 and last week's Footy Classified.

The AFL360 programme was from Wednesday 31 August i.e the week after round 23. David King who seems to promote himself as an all knowing expert on everything tactical and strategic about the game was discussing Geelong in the wake of it's first home ground defeat since 2007 at the hands of the Sydney Swans. He was scathing about the Cats' set up and many of their players and, if you listened to his argument about them, you would be convinced that the Geelong dynasty was over. Since then they have beaten Collingwood by 97 points (albeit in a dead rubber) and Hawthorn in last night's qualifying final. Having only recently heard King's voice from 10 days earlier, I couldn't help but have a chuckle at King's pontification which was way off the mark. I also couldn't help but wonder how much else of his so-called expert comment,I had given credence to over the year.

The next one was even better. The Footy Classified Panel on Monday night were discussing the breaking news that the AFL assistant coach in the middle of the latest betting scandal was Essendon's Dean Wallis. Now, ever since the 2000 Grand Final I've always harboured a grudge against this person and (at the risk of facing demands that this should be placed in the TS thread) his coach Kevin Sheedy for the thuggish tactics applied on a Brad Green when Wallis punched the then young Demon forward in the windpipe and sent him off to hospital. On FC, Grant Thomas, one of the Monday experts I've also never particularly liked, commented that at least with Dean Wallis the AFL would get the absolute truth because Wallis was a man of integrity. Wrong again as the AFL's Adrian Anderson pointed out at the presser when he outlined Wallis' sanctions. I couldn't help but think that both Thomas and Wallis were exposed as absolute dickheads over this stupid affair (as is Anderson and the AFL for constantly ranting on about "integrity" when so much of the AFL's operations are unfair, unjust and conflicted).

Then again, in many cases these people are only expressing opinions (which to be fair is what I also do here and I'm often wrong too) so feel free to fire away.

"with Dean Wallis the AFL would get the absolute truth because Wallis was a man of integrity."

Good pickup - deserves to be up there with Neville Chamberlain's " Peace in our time " comment about where Britain stood re Mr. Hitler

Should feature in the end-of-year Age list of great sporting quotes

Of course technically the AFL DID get the truth - just not by the shortest possible distance between two points.

Could Grant have been being sarcastic? /(drinking/overcome with a sense of honour among thieves/ temporarily unhinged/ paid to say that/ married to his sister / good friends with his sister?)

I honestly can't understand how Mark Robinson is regard as an expert, let alone a respectable journalist. Him, Sheehan and 50% of the others are reactionary parrots.

*A scandal breaks*

"Gee, y'know, you knew that, y'know, was gonna happen, ya just knew. Writing was on the wall."

:mellow:

The Herald Sun's Sam Landsberger notionally reports on the VFL competition which is at the semi final stage this week. However, his reports on a weekly basis are usually more than a discussion on  AFL listed players in the competition rather than VFL reports. Take today's piece - 

Hawthorn to work on best finals options with VFL affiliate Box Hill

The first half of the article is about two Hawthorn players who are getting a run in the Box Hill reserves (in other words a glorified pre training report) and the rest of the report talks about some of the AFL listed players taking part in the senior semi finals. 

This does not represent reporting on the VFL finals at all and it's what I would call poor journalism and an insult to the majority of those who make up the VFL.

Sadly, this sort of mindset is what has led to the downfall of what was a great second tier football competition.

I hate the term Expert, in general because when you are deemed an expert in any field it is assumed that you know everything about a subject. This type of thinking can get you into trouble as your thought and thinking processes can become rigid and and you spend the rest of your time trying to protect your view as the right one. You see it in Academia where people will be trotted out as the expert in a field and when new thinking or ideas come along the expert can sometimes start circling the wagons rather then consider the other view.

In my field people have called me an expert but I never except it and I always say I am a person who knows some stuff and if I ever declare my self an expert, you know I am probably drunk and I need to go sleep it off.

In regards to Media there is a saying that I always remember that is used in this arena. "IF IT BLEEDS, IT LEADS!" So media is solely about emotion and entertainment, News is not about informing people it is about gaining you attention and making you feel. If you don't believe me then sit down watch the NEWS and then afterwards think about how each story makes you feel. The emotional attention getter will be first then it will move be a roller coaster of stories that will have you angry or sad and worried and they always end in a feel good story.

TV in the Media world is like the Juveniles and print was supposed to be the mature adult. But with the advent of the internet and the ability to have a lot of information at your fingertips from all over the globe you start getting things occurring like News of the World and Sport News First.

Anyway that's my opinion and now I will get off my box as my better half wants some soap!demon_biggrin.gif

I know i posted this in the TS thread but it is equally applicable to this one and i think it is a case of one journalist actually getting things right!

Speculation Treads Bulldust Highway

I know i posted this in the TS thread but it is equally applicable to this one and i think it is a case of one journalist actually getting things right!

Speculation Treads Bulldust Highway

LOL great article I think Nostradamus did that didn't he...when he was playing fullback for AS St Remy de Provence and there was rumours of a transfer to FC de Villeneuve.

Edited by Felix da Dee

During the last week, I've had a bit of a cold so whilst at home the other day, I decided to catch up with my backlog of unwatched TV programmes which included a recent episode of AFL360 and last week's Footy Classified.

The AFL360 programme was from Wednesday 31 August i.e the week after round 23. David King who seems to promote himself as an all knowing expert on everything tactical and strategic about the game was discussing Geelong in the wake of it's first home ground defeat since 2007 at the hands of the Sydney Swans. He was scathing about the Cats' set up and many of their players and, if you listened to his argument about them, you would be convinced that the Geelong dynasty was over. Since then they have beaten Collingwood by 97 points (albeit in a dead rubber) and Hawthorn in last night's qualifying final. Having only recently heard King's voice from 10 days earlier, I couldn't help but have a chuckle at King's pontification which was way off the mark. I also couldn't help but wonder how much else of his so-called expert comment,I had given credence to over the year.

The next one was even better. The Footy Classified Panel on Monday night were discussing the breaking news that the AFL assistant coach in the middle of the latest betting scandal was Essendon's Dean Wallis. Now, ever since the 2000 Grand Final I've always harboured a grudge against this person and (at the risk of facing demands that this should be placed in the TS thread) his coach Kevin Sheedy for the thuggish tactics applied on a Brad Green when Wallis punched the then young Demon forward in the windpipe and sent him off to hospital. On FC, Grant Thomas, one of the Monday experts I've also never particularly liked, commented that at least with Dean Wallis the AFL would get the absolute truth because Wallis was a man of integrity. Wrong again as the AFL's Adrian Anderson pointed out at the presser when he outlined Wallis' sanctions. I couldn't help but think that both Thomas and Wallis were exposed as absolute [censored] over this stupid affair (as is Anderson and the AFL for constantly ranting on about "integrity" when so much of the AFL's operations are unfair, unjust and conflicted).

Then again, in many cases these people are only expressing opinions (which to be fair is what I also do here and I'm often wrong too) so feel free to fire away.

Jack, it sounds like you had a cold and a bout of insight all at the same time!! David King is a very poor analyst, who rarely makes a good point. He was widely considered a poor assistant coach, and his views on the game are a poor attempt at interpreting contemporary football. Actually listening to him and following what he was saying, then listening to Leigh Matthews, demonstrates it fully.

Grant Thomas is just an old school bloke. He backs his man, hates city hall and is basically nasty. Unlike King, at least he knows who he is.

Luke Darcy accused Davey of faking an injury against St Kilda, and failed to be accountable for that when Davey was out for 8 weeks as a result of the injury - that's good acting by Davey!!!

Listening to Gerard Healy is like listening to a year 10 impersonating a professor. He thinks he sounds smart, but alas, no.

IMO, the only ones worth listening to are Matthews, Lloyd, Brereton, Roos and Wilson (for off field matters). I may have forgotten 1 or 2, but not more.

Jack, it sounds like you had a cold and a bout of insight all at the same time!! David King is a very poor analyst, who rarely makes a good point. He was widely considered a poor assistant coach, and his views on the game are a poor attempt at interpreting contemporary football. Actually listening to him and following what he was saying, then listening to Leigh Matthews, demonstrates it fully.

Grant Thomas is just an old school bloke. He backs his man, hates city hall and is basically nasty. Unlike King, at least he knows who he is.

Luke Darcy accused Davey of faking an injury against St Kilda, and failed to be accountable for that when Davey was out for 8 weeks as a result of the injury - that's good acting by Davey!!!

Listening to Gerard Healy is like listening to a year 10 impersonating a professor. He thinks he sounds smart, but alas, no.

IMO, the only ones worth listening to are Matthews, Lloyd, Brereton, Roos and Wilson (for off field matters). I may have forgotten 1 or 2, but not more.

Choko I can agree with all your calls except Lloyd, a good analyst needs to be unbiased and Lloyd can't let go of the Bombers.

I love Mark Robinson - watch on AFL 360.

When he makes a comment, he cant even convince himself !! Its like he is half way through saying something and a little voice goes off in his head that says - "Ï dont even buy that...no one else will either"

I dont hate any of the journo's, broadcasters except one - Bartlett. If you even think of disagreeing with him, he turns into my ex wife.