Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

OUT OF THE RACE

Demonland

OUT OF THE RACE by JVM

Two teams that are out of the race for the finals meet each other for the second time in eight weeks in a game that has little significance other than pride and bragging rights.

Such games are perfect for the Demons who have made a complete artform out of winning games that are meaningless.

Even so, I wouldn't bet on it this week until I know which Melbourne will be taking the field this week.

After all, the Demons have just gone through one of the most horrific months in their history having received consecutive shellackings at the hands of four of the top five teams in the competition.

Along the way, they have lost their coach to a boning, four matches have been flushed down the toilet, their percentage has dropped a massive twenty percent, two promising youngsters are out injured for the season and there's been some blood on the boardroom floor. The president is ailing and the rest of the competition has no respect for the club. The media has been unrelenting in its criticism of anything and everything to do with the club.

If there is a ray of light, it is the fact that the team is showing greater endeavour with every passing week although their footskills and decision making as a group when under pressure remain well below par. Perhaps the right coach will sort that out over the summer?

I should add that there are some Demon diehards who will tell you that there is still a mathematical chance of making the finals. All they have to do is win the three remaining games and watch the teams above them tumble like dominoes until they're the last man standing. If you accept that the Swans would drop a home game to the Lions in Round 24 when a finals place beckons, then this is a theory for you. Otherwise, the race for the finals is over - as it should be for a team that has underperformed as Melbourne has over the past month.

Even though this week's game is meaningless, the club could do with a win if only to shut up the critics. At least that would be a victory of some sorts at this stage of proceedings.

THE GAME Melbourne v Richmond at the MCG Sunday 21 August 2011 at 4.40pm.

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 79 wins Richmond 99 wins

At MCG Melbourne 59 wins Richmond 65 wins

Since 2000 Melbourne 9 wins Richmond 10 wins

The Coaches Viney 0 wins Hardwick 0 wins

MEDIA

TV -Fox Sports 1 4:30 pm (live telecast)

RADIO -

THE BETTING

Melbourne $2.10 to win Richmond $1.74 to win.

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 17.16.118 defeated Richmond 13.13.91 at the MCG, Round 14, 2011

The Tigers got off to a flyer with the first two goals of the game and it could have been a bigger margin but for inaccuracy in front of goal. The Demons reeled them in and established a good lead by quarter time and remained in control for the remainder of proceedings. The big bodies of Moloney and Jones were crucial and Watts continued to show improvement as a forward.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs Colin Garland James Frawley Clint Bartram

Half backs Aaron Davey Jared Rivers Joel Macdonald

Centreline Sam Blease Brent Moloney Tom Scully

Half forwards Jack Trengove Stef Martin Jeremy Howe

Forwards Ricky Petterd Jack Watts Brad Green

Followers Mark Jamar Colin Sylvia Nathan Jones

Interchange Jamie Bennell Liam Jurrah Jordie McKenzie Cale Morton

Emergencies Lynden Dunn Neville Jetta Daniel Nicholson

In Jamie Bennell Brad Green Liam Jurrah

Out Lynden Dunn Daniel Nicholson Luke Tapscott (soreness)

RICHMOND

Backs Bachar Houli Alex Rance Will Thursfield

Half backs Brett Deledio Jayden Post Matt Dea

Centreline Trent Cotchin Dustin Martin Shaun Grigg

Half forwards Daniel Jackson Tyrone Vickery Shane Edwards

Forwards Robin Nahas Jack Riewoldt Jake King

Followers Angus Graham Shane Tuck Nathan Foley

Interchange Mitchell Farmer Brad Miller Mitch Morton Jeromey Webberley

Emergencies Ben Nason Jamie O'Reilly Matthew White

In Jeromey Webberley

Out Jake Batchelor (Shoulder)

James Frawley and Jack Reiwoldt were drafted in the same national draft in 2006. Melbourne took their man with selection 12 while the Tigers got theirs one pick later. The contests between the two key position players have become highlights of recent Melbourne - Richmond matches and it's highly likely that the outcome of this week's game could well be determined by which of the two comes out on top.

Neither player has been at his absolute best this season but each remains an important cog in his team's wheel. Frawley missed most of the preseason after tearing a pectoral muscle and has not come up to his 2010 All Australian form. The Richmond forward has also had some injury issues but has managed to stay on the field to boot 56 goals which puts him six goals behind Buddy Franklin in his quest to win a second consecutive Coleman medal. The young Demon has had the wood on Riewoldt in the past and I have him pegged to win this one again.

Of course, much will depend on whether the Demons can curb their Tiger counterparts in the middle and this is one area where I believe that Melbourne can come out on top.

After a month of being pitted against strong ruck combinations and making a good fist of things in the bargain, Mark Jamar and Stef Martin will find things a little more to their liking this week. It's an open secret that the Tigers are on the lookout for big men and that feelers have already been placed out for opposition ruckmen who might be in the marketplace. That's a reflection of the confidence coach Damien Hardwick has in his current crop of tall timber. I therefore expect the Demon onballers to relish the benefits of a winning ruck with Brent Moloney, Nathan Jones and young guns Jack Trengove and Tom Scully to just hold sway over the talented Tiger midfielders.

The only argument I hear put up in favour of a Tiger win is that they are in form, having comfortably beaten the Swans last week. That might well be true but before that, they had lost six in a row and that's hardly what you'd call good form.

I'm therefore confident in going for Todd Viney to break the ice as an AFL coach in the twilight glow and the MCG lights on Sunday evening.

Melbourne by 27 points.

Big game, we should line up as

Bartram Frawley Martin

MacDonald Rivers Garland

Scully Moloney Blease

Petterd Watts Sylvia

Davey Howe Jamar

Gawn Trengove McKenzie

Jones Dunn Nicholson

Tapscott

Out Morton

In Gawn

I like the idea of the three talls, Martin gets Vickery, we have Jamar or Gawn start deep forward the other ruck.

Out Joel Mac???????????

One of our best (and hardest) last week....you gotta be kidding

I thought he was terrible at times.

Played far far too loose and lost one-on-ones.

Disposal is terrible too.

Seems the club's appraisal somewhat agrees with me.

edit: I doubt he'll even be at the club in 2012, unless he's already contracted and I don't realise it.

Edited by e25

I thought he was terrible at times.

Played far far too loose and lost one-on-ones.

Disposal is terrible too.

Seems the club's appraisal somewhat agrees with me.

edit: I doubt he'll even be at the club in 2012, unless he's already contracted and I don't realise it.

I know stats don't mean much but you'd drop a guy with 24 disposals and 12 marks (4 CM) in a side that lost by 8 goals.

Did you go to the game?....you said you wouldn't go to Shocklands!

I was there and thought it one of his better games. We would have los by more without him.

There were plenty of worse players if you are looking for someone to drop

I know stats don't mean much but you'd drop a guy with 24 disposals and 12 marks (4 CM) in a side that lost by 8 goals.

I was there and thought it one of his better games. We would have los by more without him.

I watched it on replay.

I concede that you do miss things not being at the game, but it's all I have to go on.

That's how I saw it.

I was there and also thought he was good. He is one of our harder types and I would disagree with him being dropped. There were far worse than him up the other end but no one seems to have addressed that.

Would like to see TM and maybe Jack Fitzpatrick get a chance.

Agree.

Agree with Sydney Pennski. If our two leading goalkickers are fit, bring them in.

Out: BARTRAM, Joel MacDonald, Dunn.

IN: Tom McDonald, Jetta, Jurrah.

edit: forgot Dunn.

Joel Mac? You've gotta be kidding me, one of our only honest footballers week in week out! Is vital to our side atm.

On Joel Mac. He was one of our best and also worst. Was great going back taking marks but he seriously makes some shocking decisions. I cringe when he has the ball (as I do with Rivers, Bartram, Jones)

I'd agree with that. It's just there were plenty of others who didn't have a "best" display, whereas Joel did.

MELBOURNE

Backs Colin Garland James Frawley Clint Bartram

Half backs Aaron Davey Jared Rivers Joel Macdonald

Centreline Sam Blease Brent Moloney Tom Scully

Half forwards Jack Trengove Stef Martin Jeremy Howe

Forwards Ricky Petterd Jack Watts Brad Green

Followers Mark Jamar Colin Sylvia Nathan Jones

Interchange (from) Jamie Bennell Lynden Dunn Neville Jetta Liam Jurrah Jordie McKenzie Cale Morton Daniel Nicholson

In Jamie Bennell Brad Green Neville Jetta Liam Jurrah

Out Luke Tapscott (soreness)

Tapscott has been pretty ordinary the last few weeks been non-influential so not that fussed he's rested given its his first full season at the top level.

Would like the final bench to be: McKenzie, Dunn, Jurrah, Nicholson

My bench: Jurrah, McKenzie, Jetta

Sub: Dunn

Congrats to Flash for getting to 150 games, I'm really hoping he can turn it on. He's been average but I've been willing to forgive due to his long lay off through injury, but this is a game he has to stand up. I still remember back when he was a wide-eyed youngster, one game he played against the tigers (I think it might've been his second game) and he gathered the ball on the wing while surrounded by tigers, he stopped, they stopped, and then he flicked on the jets and burned them all off.

Hoping for a big one from Jurrah as well!

Edited by Pates