Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Eade as next Melbourne coach?

mrtwister

Yep, grab him now. Proven coach, still with the fires burning I reckon. No chance of convincing a very vocal bunch of demonlanders though, cos he hasn't coached to a flag.

no way, he has always coached teams to be mediocre, don't rate him and don't want him and luckily Garry Lyon says the same thing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really prefer not to cop a Rocket. As has been said by others, he's coached for 14 years and never won a GF. That isn't what we want or need. The club has been trying to build the best possible team, making the hard calls, retiring people who won't contribute to a premiership. This is another. We can't go for a pretty good coach who will get us into the top 6 or so. We have to take the hard road and find someone who will take us all the way to a flag. Malthouse or Clarkson for mine. I don't care if they are still contracted. I don't care if they are not on the market right now. We should be taking the initiative and contacting them, letting them know that there are very good options open to them other than staying where they are. If our next coach doesn't have at least one premiership to his name as a coach, the board have failed us.

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

Guest dieharderdee

Let me put it simpler for you, it's like the difference between a secondary school teacher ans a University Lecturer.

One guides kids gently through their learning Processes.

The other teachers young and old graduates, as well as Professionals who've come back to advance their high skills. To the highest levels currently possible.

A major difference.

You must have got your impression of uni teachers from hollywood teh reality is universiy lecturers are mostly lazy bludgers who like to waltz in and collect their pay cheque whilst reading verbatum a powerpoint slide they developed 5 years ago. Not as sexy as your wording but alot closer to the truith

I'd really prefer not to cop a Rocket. As has been said by others, he's coached for 14 years and never won a GF. That isn't what we want or need. The club has been trying to build the best possible team, making the hard calls, retiring people who won't contribute to a premiership. This is another. We can't go for a pretty good coach who will get us into the top 6 or so. We have to take the hard road and find someone who will take us all the way to a flag. Malthouse or Clarkson for mine. I don't care if they are still contracted. I don't care if they are not on the market right now. We should be taking the initiative and contacting them, letting them know that there are very good options open to them other than staying where they are. If our next coach doesn't have at least one premiership to his name as a coach, the board have failed us.

That's a very tough call considering that by all reports there are zero premiership coaches available at this stage.

Edited by WAClark

He's led 2 grand finals in time on in the last 2 years. He made changes last year in the grand final that got his team back in a game that was slipping away.

As far as I'm concerned he was the dominant coach from 2009-2010 and after an inevitable drop off this year all of a sudden he can't coach now.

Ross Lyon is a 1 trick pony who's only trick is to kill off any excitement the game has to offer .

He made changes in the 1st grand final that got his team back in the game but failed to learn from the experience the following week when he reverted straight back to type .

Tried the move of Gilbert forward again when the game was beyond them but couldn't pull it off twice in a row .

If we ever employed a coach with such a negative approach to the game I would as a supporter give it away .

Hey guys,

Ok before you read on..this is just my opinion, its pretty long, i did not go back to check spelling or punctuation, i sat in front of the computer and figured i have not commented much recently so i just wrote what i was thinking and came up with this-

218079-eade.jpg

Now I am not going to include concrete data or anything like that to support this post. It is a cooked up recipe opinion that is purely from a Melbourne Demon fan at heart mixed in with a bit of patience and understanding of the process that we have endured and where we are as a football club presently.

Rodney Eade should seriously be looked at to coach our club for the next phase!

There has been countless posts and opinions stating- he is finished, he doesn’t have the modern game plan, I won’t accept mediocrity, we have to have the ‘best’, we have to have someone with proven “premiership” experience and he has not won 1 premiership in 14 years coaching! All just excuses representing the very truth to their reasoning- He does not guarantee our next premiership. I want to be guaranteed that our next coach delivers the next premiership! Good luck finding such a wonderful rare commodity.

Maybe he is not, but maybe, just maybe he is..

There are no guarantees in football coaching. Even our sheriff of the hour Garry Lyon said that. There is no “rocket” science that proves one particular coach delivers premierships but maybe there is a “rocket” that fits the prescription of medicine we need. Words, Phrases we constantly hear when listening to past premiership players about their coaches –“He was exactly what we needed at the time, every player knew exactly what his role was, exactly what the coach expected or would be filled with fear the consequences that would precede for doing the wrong thing, and he had the remarkable ability to get the “different” types of characters to mix and provide a good “working environment” to accomplish the biggest feat of them all-to win our premiership!

Rodney is more than capable accomplishing these common patterns and requirements for a premiership coach candidate. He is in the game and understands and knows what’s going on with patterns of game styles. He coached a VERY under resourced club in the Bulldogs to three consecutive prelim finals. Sure they had some good players but would I recall any of them “great” players in the same league as the likes of the Abletts, Bartels, Chapmans, Swans, Pendleberrys, Buddy Franklins, Luke Hodges, Michael Vosses, Simon Blacks, Jonathan Browns….ok, ok, ill stop…get my drift?

IT’S THE PLAYERS who will ultimately decide if we are to get that premiership or not! Even though the coaches role plays a MAJOR part in the pre-requisite of long term, consecutive success (which Eade boasts aplenty) to give the players a ultimatum of how much do you want it! It is the PLAYERS who execute the entire collection of brilliant fundamental, wonderful things to be able to win that premiership. They are the ones who go back with the flight, play with 120% intent for that one day a week, they are the ones who kick straight or not, they are the ones who put their bodies on the line, they are the ones that we expect the greatness of courage, desire and passion from!

If Rodney Eade replaced any of those coaches that have won premierships in the last decade or so, do you think they would of won still? I am confident they would of, maybe not in same order or even the feat of consecutive years, but I am very confident Rodney Eade, with those resources of those clubs and those pedigree of players he would of easily done it.

Would you be happy with one premiership (the first since 1964) or do you want to be promised a complete conspiracy theory there is a guarantee of multiple premierships in a row?

We have gone through the hard phase. The “ok people…. from the top” phase! We needed that! No doubt or regret in my mind what so ever! We needed a Dean Bailey type coach in that time. We needed to flush the old out and bring in A LOT of new to stockpile ourselves with the best possible talent that was available. We needed that nurturing magician through tough times, the long term planner instead of the short term. WE have accomplished that! This year, even though some games have been HUGELY disappointing, was always going to happen. The players were in a routine of losing, they did not really understand the experience of expectation. Bailey could not do any better with this group of players, that’s as far as he could take them. Change was needed to replace this now environment of players that were used to losing.

Next year and beyond with new change, we will see the players really develop into their potential and give the best crack in a long time to deliver that next premiership to us. The teams that have won premierships in the past decade ALL went through the same thing.

We have done an amazing job off-field in this hard phase too. The club is in very good shape off-field with record sponsorships, membership numbers up, new state of the art facilities and a brand that stands for something with a true, beautiful rich heritage. The groundwork is set! We are and have obtained’ BASE camp’, from base camp now the hard work begins to reach that mountain of success.

Rodney Eade is a true pro, great game day coach, coaches with passion, coaches with aggro and is not afraid to tell any player no matter how good or bad if they have wronged. Possesses the demon looks to scare the bejesus out of them so it does not repeat! He is a likable guy on camera and has a good repour with the media, he has the proven, consistent coaching record, he got the bulldogs to three prelims in a row- (You are a bloody good coach to accomplish this) and maybe not having a premiership simply came down to the players were the ones that let you down in the end or the other teams players were better! I can see a lot of our current players who are struggling a bit at the moment really turn around with a guy like Rodney Eade. Players we know have potential and pedigree, just need a new leader that expects the best on all areas of the game.

Players in place-Check and in Progress to fulfil potential

Off-field matters- Check

Coach- ?

I keep hearing the same names pop up- Malthouse, Clarkson, Chocco, Laidley- Malthouse will not coach us- and I think everyone slightly overrates the bloke, maybe overrates is harsh, doesn’t factor in the support he has received to accomplish his feats is a better explanation. Sure he is a great, great coach but his premierships with the eagles and pies prove that even Malthouse the White haired god of the greatest needed two of the better resourced and best run clubs in the country to have his back! Do the others WANT or are they available to throw their hat in the ring? I am pretty sure a lot of those other names are already in great situations, other than Laidley of course. Eade seriously could be the best candidate AVAILABLE at the time, we cant wait around and take a caretaker coach for another year!

Eade now sacked from a club that has underappreciated what success this man has brought to the lowly resourced and bizarrely run ( Aker situation still baffles me) “small” club . He is not bitter because he has the utmost confidence in his ability that he can COACH and with the right players and resources can and will deliver a premiership. Hungry is one adjective that screams out of Rodney, he is hungry, passionate and competitive enough fuelled by the genes of a great player of this game. Rocket could easily be the one to light this much needed fire under this huge crop of young, potential great players that currently are lost mentally in a whirlwind of hard times they have had to endure for the past few years.

I cannot guarantee that if Rodney Eade coaches the Melbourne Demons in 2012 and beyond that he will deliver our next premiership with no doubt in my mind but you’re kidding yourself if you replace that name in front of that statement with the other names bandied around.

Eade has the RESUME of proven consistent success (apart from this year that many have just completely forgotten that their injuries and retirements have played a huge part in, their current-day drafting of players have not been fantastic which cant be blamed on the coach) , he has the HUNGER AND PASSION, has the MEDIA presence, has the AGGRO to tell people if they have done wrong, he has the CREATIVE mind to come up with plans from scratch that other coaches copy and make their own with better players.

Not even to mention financially it would be a pretty good deal compared to some of the other names! Spend more money on SPECIFIC coaches, Forward coach that can develop forward skills! Bring a senior assistant in Laidley or Ayres. Now that’s a coaching panel to be afraid of and to make your goal every game to do exactly what they preach to make life a bit easier on yourself as a player of this gruelling game.

This is a man even through the ROUGH season he has had to endure this year, in round 16 coached a team of players who I don’t think have anywhere close to the players and team of Carlton to a convincing 96-69 win. He can still coach to beat the best teams, the players he has had to work with this year has not been up to scratch and they have not been healthy enough to give themselves a chance of constant momentum that is needed for success.

That’s enough from me, Rodney Eade coach of the Melbourne Football Club , rings true to the red and the blue!

I have never rated the Dogs, they are/were nowhere near a flag,so,they got to the finals, nowhere near a grand final victory!!!

That's not correct.

They were very close in 2009 - they lost one of the best finals I've ever seen to the Saints in the PF by 7 points, and then the Saints went very close in the GF. They lost to Geelong by 2 points in the H&A and 14 points in the QF.

In 2008 and 2010 they weren't blown away in PFs losing by 24 and 29 points.

If Eade can convince Gaz...i'll accept him. He has doubts...and well founded..

He has ability.. but theres a horrible trend of "nearly"

Im tired of NEARLY !!

You must have got your impression of uni teachers from hollywood teh reality is universiy lecturers are mostly lazy bludgers who like to waltz in and collect their pay cheque whilst reading verbatum a powerpoint slide they developed 5 years ago. Not as sexy as your wording but alot closer to the truith

As a lecturer, I will have to kindly disagree with this statement. Also, it is 'verbatim' and 'truth'. Maybe you should have paid more attention during class?

That's not correct.

They were very close in 2009 - they lost one of the best finals I've ever seen to the Saints in the PF by 7 points, and then the Saints went very close in the GF. They lost to Geelong by 2 points in the H&A and 14 points in the QF.

In 2008 and 2010 they weren't blown away in PFs losing by 24 and 29 points.

The Bulldogs would have been blown away in any of those 3 GF's if they had made it..

They were a long way off.

The Bulldogs would have been blown away in any of those 3 GF's if they had made it..

Ridiculous post anything can happen 2008 was supposed to see the Hawks get blown away on Grand Final day. I am not saying I want Rocket, Malthouse is my number 1 choice, ahead of Clarko but Rocket would be my 3rd choice. None of these coaches would stand for our lack of accountability.

If Rocket is going to get us to GF's I will be happy and let fate take its course

Edited by Pennant St Dee

Its rather interesting reading the language employed by many as to how it relates to the notion of a new coach.

I see the word "settle" a lot. To me this infers a compromise of sorts. We're really aiming for 'this' but will settle for 'that"

This is also as I see it a flaw recently in how the Dogs went about their pusuit of success. They deemed success as the making of finals, to be in amongst it. They 'settled" They got exactly what they aspired to. What they didnt get is a Premiership.

Here in lies a danger for us also. We ought not SETTLE but look to get whomever will take us that next step, not just turning up in finals and beiing competitive, for thats only a step in the campaign, but winning Premierships, yes plural, not just one.

We need someone to do what Mick is doing...maybe it IS Mick, maybe its someone else, but I dont want to see us settle for anyone, or anything, not any more.

Ridiculous post anything can happen 2008 was supposed to see the Hawks get blown away on Grand Final day. I am not saying I want Rocket, Malthouse is my number 1 choice, ahead of Clarko but Rocket would be my 3rd choice. None of these coaches would stand for our lack of accountability.

If Rocket is going to get us to GF's I will be happy and let fate take its course

not ridiculous at all. The bulldogs aimed to make finals and survive. they did that.

we want to higher than that.

i also want malthouse to take over.

he is a better coach than eade will ever be.

I have never rated the Dogs, they are/were nowhere near a flag,so,they got to the finals, nowhere near a grand final victory!!!

I would be very disappointed if they went for Rodney Eade, 7 years for a mediocre result, been there , done that!!!!!

Clarkson? A big yes

Malthouse ? Ok if they want to, but they would have to have a Magpie like budget to invest into the football department!!

Matthews?--another big yes

Roos?- Why not, just not sure I'd like the game style we'd be watching, but what the hell if he brings us a flag!!

Only problem, none of them are available !

Premiership coaches always have good teams - you can't win one without them. Eade got close with mediocre teams - he is a very good coach and would be a very good fit ( as would I suspect Laidley ). Of the untried, who knows - none of them have coached anyone - are Neeld, Sanderson, Richardson, Bickley, or that bloke at Essendon any better than Royal, West or Scott Burns ? Pretty much hypothetical. Seems to depend on the Powerpoint Preso !! If Malthouse becomes available - well and good ( remembering it took him 10 years to win one at Collingwood with all their resources ). Otherwise I have no problem at all with Eade.

:blink:

Not even to mention financially it would be a pretty good deal compared to some of the other names! Spend more money on SPECIFIC coaches, Forward coach that can develop forward skills! Bring a senior assistant in Laidley or Ayres. Now that’s a coaching panel to be afraid of and to make your goal every game to do exactly what they preach to make life a bit easier on yourself as a player of this gruelling game.

Agreed.

BTW, interesting post.

Well you were wrong!! I tipped the saints to win that 1st. game

The Bulldogs would have lost it by 15 goals.

A more persceptive answer would have been to realise that anything can happen in a GF and to simply write off a side like you have is naive.

Collingwood were red hot favourites in last year's GF and almost dropped the first one. It was the same in the 2002 when the Pies pushed the great Lions team to the brink in 2002.

Its foolish to say that Eade was a mile away when in reality they could have been as close St Kilda

Pennant St Dee was right, this is a ridiculous post of yours WYL.

No one will ever know what might have happened if they'd made it in the GF. Whilst close enough (losing by a few goals in the PF) isn't enough, they weren't a long way off.