You dont think drafting a couple of 'climbers' into BMC and watching them leave Cadel one out on the climbs has a bit of Melbourne Football Club to it?

Its like playing Key Position Forwards on the half back flank if you ask me.

I'm a pessimist on international competition myself so I often watch this stuff with a sinking feeling.

However with Big Thor, the God of Thunder, out injured I'm enjoying Matty Goss working his way into contention for Green without yet snaging a stage ....very smart riding imo and something Thor (I cant spell his last name) seemed to do as well.

Has anyone seen Wiggins get out of his seat on the climb ?

The bloke doesn't raise a sweat. Cool, calculated, he doesn't leave Cadels wheel. Where's this guy been ?

I reckon if Voeckler goes early tonight like last night, Cadel and some BMC riders should go with him. Try and break free from Sky.

Yep Wiggins/Sky looks in total control at present .Only Aussie blinkers allow us to see him failing.

Still, its a funny game cycling.

Wheres he been? Winning everything on two wheels if you listen to him. He went out injured in last years Tour

Cadel rode his strongest at the end of last year's tour.

Last night wasn't a tough enough stage to do real damage. Tonight is the big stage that could do damage, and there is a stage later on where it finishes after a big descent. Watching last night, Wiggins is an awful descender. Riders were being backed up behind him the whole way.

Evans had a few chances to go last night, despite the attention, but he didn't. He could have driven the descent, because he was in position, but he stayed back in the field. I kept thinking that there was a reason for it. I think that it is a game of attrition for him, where he's tiring out the Sky team to isolate Wiggins when he's least comfortable. There will be some sore boys after last night, though.

Tonight's stage is a good 'un. 2 uncategorised climbs and a cat 1 finish. It will be very interesting.

Nice, I hope you're correct. But he didnt sound very confident to me, though no doubt he'll try something serious eventually....he's going to have to

The 40 minute 1st climb to the 'Col de la Madelaine' will commence sometime after 9.40pm . The 40 minute 2nd climb to the 'Col de la Croix de Far will commence sometime after 11.10pm and the 30 minute final climb to 'La Toussuire' starts sometime after 12.40am . Must viewing tonight .

PROFIL.jpg

THE VIEW OF JEAN-FRANCOIS PESCHEUX

A tough one

"One of the shortest stages in the 99thedition. But riders beware, it is a tough one! The course is simple: after the first thirteen kilometres from Albertville, the peloton will be hard pressed to find a single inch of flat terrain! The cyclists will tackle La Madeleine, La Croix de Fer and Le Mollard one after the other before the final climb up La Toussuire. Let me tell you, the final podium will start to take shape on the finish line here! Those who falter in this stage will get no second chances. The winner will not be known yet, but the losers certainly will."

Edited by Macca

Thanks as always Macca. Tonight Cadel MUST show something more than determination.

Thanks as always Macca. Tonight Cadel MUST show something more than determination.

Ta mate . Yeah that profile looks damn tough tonight ! Who knows what's going to happen ? 'Spose the beauty of it is we don't know what Cadel or Bradley are thinking . Froome is the red herring in all of this . Just how good is he ?

Evans could continue to bide his time but you'd reckon that the BMC team will have at least one prolonged attack in them .

Hope SBS show the conclusion of the 1st climb . Should be done by 10.20pm (ish) . I like Gabriel's dish of the day but happy to miss one night !

As an aside , I really like Wiggins anti drugs stance . It's great to see a top sportsperson speaking out in such a way .

Cadel's big advantage is that he's done it before. He's lasted the distance and was going well at the end. The last time trial and the last mountain stages are as much about having a tough body after 2.5 weeks of torture as it is about talent. He just needs to keep up the pressure and stay patient.

I remember when Sastre won it a few years ago. He did nothing for 2.5 weeks and then won it in the last few days. Last year Schleck almost won it on a single stage at the end when everyone was exhausted (except Evans). Evans doesn't need to get desperate, he needs to stay patient and pick his time.

Is that time tonight? I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

Even if Cadel gets over a tiring Wiggins (and thats Aussie speculation that doesnt appear on British sites) ...

Not discounting the Aussie coloured glasses we're all wearing, but that works both ways re the British sites ;)

Would like to see a bit more aggression from Evans. 2nd mountain stage in a row with a big voeckler (sp?) attack that he hasn't gone with. Could be a handy partner in crime

It was a good tactic. The contenders need to keep this up to try and wear Sky down. Otherwise it'll be a Sky lead procession to Paris and they'll take 1st and 2nd.

Good to see TJ having a better day and offering some support. Cadel wouldn't know himself - a team mate with him in the mountains!

its not going to happen this year

call me a pessimist if you will,but .......

Did Sky miss a trick, though?

Evans was really struggling when he got back to the group, but they slowed down and allowed Evans to recover in the group. If they kept the pedal down until the summit then they could easily have dropped him.

Interesting that Porte was dropped today after doing the pacing yesterday.

Edited by Axis of Bob

It would be about the only trick they've missed if they did .Wiggins still has two riders to Cadels one and a two minute lead to go with

Did Sky miss a trick, though?

Evans was really struggling when he got back to the group, but they slowed down and allowed Evans to recover in the group. If they kept the pedal down until the summit then they could easily have dropped him.

Interesting that Porte was dropped today after doing the pacing yesterday.

Yeah, Cadel looked very vulnerable. I was worried Nibali would make a move at the time Cadel was caught and the pack would respond and drop Cadel.

Edited by speed demon

He really paid for that early attack, Cadel.

The problem is that he is a very similar type of rider to Wiggins, but he's not time trialling as well as him. Evans is a better climber, but he's not a dynamic rider. He's used to covering moves in a similar way to what Wiggins does, and then beating them on the time trial. He's not really an attacking climber that can break Wiggins on the climb with bursts of acceleration. Unfortunately he's been forced to ride in a different style because of Wiggins' superior time trialling

Wiggins is being Cadel, and Cadel is trying to be Schleck ...... but not a very good Schleck. More like Dean Waugh, rather than Steve or Mark.

Edited by Axis of Bob
  • Like 3

At least he is going down swinging and actually trying to create an opening, rather than sitting on chief's wheel and waiting for one. Such a shame that his legs deserted him at the end, was in a prime position with the young fella who looked like he had plenty left in reserve. Given how it played out though I suspect froome would have rained on their parade - he looks in better nick than wiggo!

Chief Wiggams looked

pressured for the first time today.

Its a pity Hincapie has stopped his Lance Armstrong drug regime and has only been useful when its flat.

Apart from TJ, Cadel is going it alone pretty much while Axis 's observations also seem relevant.

Put simply Wiggims is better than Cadel and Sky is better than BMC.

Can some photo shop hero put Dunns mo onto Wiggs sideburned face so I can get a laugh..or throw darts at it.

Hopefully Hincapie will leave the sport dammed as the longest term drug cheat in Tour history without being the 'winner' that Armstrong was, and not excused as a whistle blower.

I guess he must be Catholic...turn to god at the very last minute (of your career) and all your wrongdoing is excused...

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1

I don't know if Cadel's Catholic but he needs a miracle now.

Froome was awesome again. It was great when he accelerated and dropped his captain instantly. He has looked the best rider overall.

Pretty disappointing. I fell asleep on the second climb and woke up during the finish with the commentators saying Cadel had lost another minute.

Was it a good thing that I missed the action?