Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Jaeger O'Meara Thread

Bruce Almighty

Thats fine you talk who you want. But I will say it again. Disrespect your own players at your own peril ... treat them like pieces of meat ... hold on tight.

Matthew Bate is in danger of being sent packing...

(Boom)

Lynden Dunn should be traded...

(Crash)

This is apart of footy and we do it every year.

I don't see the odiousness of talking about such a part and parcel aspect of the game as list management.

Deletions are the foundation of list management.

I'm afraid it doesn't say anything about compo picks so it's not clear if our next pick was a compo pick whether that would be in the frame. It just says next draft selection so I'm assuming that it would be until advised otherwise. The point might be moot because one compo pick is AFTER our pick and the other is after the non-finals teams so they're likely to be close together anyway.

The problem I see is when you have a good player like Viney, clubs with low picks will bid for him and if your first pick is after theirs, its goodbye early pick. Bit of cat and mouse. Clubs know we have committed to Viney so they can "risk" bidding a very early pick to force our hand.

The problem I see is when you have a good player like Viney, clubs with low picks will bid for him and if your first pick is after theirs, its goodbye early pick. Bit of cat and mouse. Clubs know we have committed to Viney so they can "risk" bidding a very early pick to force our hand.

I think we can reasonably assume that the earliest pick we have in that draft will have to be used for Viney.

Clubs are not idiots and they will make sure we pay the highest price.

I think we can reasonably assume that the earliest pick we have in that draft will have to be used for Viney.

Clubs are not idiots and they will make sure we pay the highest price.

Agree. And Brad Scott alluded to this when the discussion was on Jack Viney several weeks ago. So I think it's a lock that it will be our earliest pick.

bloody hell

I dont think I have seen my kids act as silly as some of you guys are.

If you have differing opinions then by all means stress your point but dont keep it going and waste the time of the people that are actually hear to talk about footy. To mant people on hear try to make and take things personally

What you say about paying a high price for Viney, Is it possible to cheat a bit here and assuming Scully leaves we go hard at the priority picks for the 17yo's with the compo selections and whatever we get for where we finish and get as many of them as possible leaving whatever is left to claim Viney, getting the best of both worlds.

As my understanding goes we do not actually have to give up a 1st rounder to get him, as a father/son selection we simply put our draft selection forward and if another team bids to we just have to match it with our next best available. If all we have left is a 2nd round then so be it, I could be well wrong here but thats how I understand it

What you say about paying a high price for Viney, Is it possible to cheat a bit here and assuming Scully leaves we go hard at the priority picks for the 17yo's with the compo selections and whatever we get for where we finish and get as many of them as possible leaving whatever is left to claim Viney, getting the best of both worlds.

As my understanding goes we do not actually have to give up a 1st rounder to get him, as a father/son selection we simply put our draft selection forward and if another team bids to we just have to match it with our next best available. If all we have left is a 2nd round then so be it, I could be well wrong here but thats how I understand it

Yes, but because we have already committed to taking him, clubs will make sure we use our first pick.

It is in their interest for us to use our first pick on Jack Viney.

Pure game theory.

It would be great if we could. I'd first offer something like a compo pick + Morton first (you never know, it just might work). I wouldn't give the compo picks away willy nilly, though (if Scully goes, i think he will).

Having 3 first round picks in the 2012 "super draft" is mighty tantalising. Would it be worth throwing the kitchen sink (both compo picks) back at GWS for Patton, effectively making it a Scully for Patton trade. As they say, a quality tall is always more valuable than a quality small.

You have your head in the clouds if you think for a moment Patton wont be at GWS next season!!

Yeah I understand that but as I said assuming Scully leaves as I think he will (personal call) it has been stated we will be given 2 first round draft picks, now as this draft is apparently so shallow if we use our first 3 rnd 1 draft picks and a player or 2 whick we have to get rid of any way to get our hands on a couple of the 17/yo/s from the super draft therefore only leaving whatever we get next year to get Viney the following year. and as the trade period is before the draft period would this not also give us a rnd 1 pick to potentially get a decent player from another team, leaving potentially only a 2nd rounder to get Viney which as our best available pick is still enough regardless of what the other teams bid. Would that not be a massive win/win for us or have I got this all wrong

Yeah I understand that but as I said assuming Scully leaves as I think he will (personal call) it has been stated we will be given 2 first round draft picks, now as this draft is apparently so shallow if we use our first 3 rnd 1 draft picks and a player or 2 whick we have to get rid of any way to get our hands on a couple of the 17/yo/s from the super draft therefore only leaving whatever we get next year to get Viney the following year. and as the trade period is before the draft period would this not also give us a rnd 1 pick to potentially get a decent player from another team, leaving potentially only a 2nd rounder to get Viney which as our best available pick is still enough regardless of what the other teams bid. Would that not be a massive win/win for us or have I got this all wrong

I believe that FS nominations and bids come before trade week, therefore you cannot trade away the pick that 'won' that bid.

That is my understanding.

I've been searching as much as I can to find the Trade dates & Info for 2011, without success.

But here is some 2010 post season dates info to compare. >

2010 NAB AFL Draft key dates

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Commencement of 2010 NAB AFL Draft Combine (formerly Draft Camp)

Friday 1 October 2010

Conclusion of 2010 NAB AFL Draft Combine

Friday 1 October 2010

Father/son nominations lodged with the AFL

Monday 4 October 2010

Commencement of 2010 Trade Week

Monday 11 October 2010, 2pm

Conclusion of 2010 Trade Week

This may give some indication of when things will happen this year.

PS: I'm not sure if GWS were to take Scully, if we would get compensation picks that we could use in the O'Meara trade??? It may be that we get compensatory picks to be taken from next year (2012) on >>>...

So how would this work, would we have to trade Sculls instead of him walking??? to get a shot at O'Meara?

I've been searching as much as I can to find the Trade dates & Info for 2011, without success.

But here is some 2010 post season dates info to compare. >

2010 NAB AFL Draft key dates

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Commencement of 2010 NAB AFL Draft Combine (formerly Draft Camp)

Friday 1 October 2010

Conclusion of 2010 NAB AFL Draft Combine

Friday 1 October 2010

Father/son nominations lodged with the AFL

Monday 4 October 2010

Commencement of 2010 Trade Week

Monday 11 October 2010, 2pm

Conclusion of 2010 Trade Week

This may give some indication of when things will happen this year.

PS: I'm not sure if GWS were to take Scully, if we would get compensation picks that we could use in the O'Meara trade??? It may be that we get compensatory picks to be taken from next year (2012) on >>>...

So how would this work, would we have to trade Sculls instead of him walking??? to get a shot at O'Meara?

The dates that I have diarised so far are:

FL Draft & Trade Period Important Dates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday October 1, 2pm - Father-Son Nominations lodged with the AFL.

Monday October 4, 10am - Father-Son Bidding Meeting (Gold Coast FC not entitled to participate).

Monday October 4 - Monday October 11 - AFL Exchange Period (In additional to normal permitted exchanges, Gold Coast FC may exchange players nominated as 17-year-olds in 2009 who have not accepted a contract offer, players nominated as rookies in 2009 who have not accepted a contract offer, the right to list a player who has previously nominated for the Draft under rule 35.5 and the right to list a priority zone selection from Queensland or the Northern Territory under rule 35.6.

Thursday October 7, 2pm - Gold Coast FC may include on its Primary List up to one listed player from each club (or more than one if the other club agrees) provided the player is uncontracted for the 2011 season.

Friday October 29, 2pm - List Lodgement One. Rookie promotion to Primary List, Retained Second Year and Third Year Rookies, Scholarship player transfer to Primary List or Rookie List; International Scholarship player transfer to Primary List or Rookie List. Gold Coast Players contracted under Rule 35.2 (local talent) may be included on the club Primary List or Rookie list with their consent, Gold Coast FC contracted nominated 17 year-olds included on the Primary list, Gold Coast FC nominated 17 year-olds who have not accepted a contract may be included on the Primary List, Gold Coast FC 2009 rookies who accept a contract offer may be included on the Primary List or Rookie List.

Friday November 5, 2pm - Out of Contract Listed Primary List Players Draft Nomination Deadline.

Friday November 5, 2pm - Draft Nomination Deadline for New or Expired (after three years) Nominations.

Friday November 5, 2pm - Nomination of Use of Compensatory Selection by Clubs that Lose an Uncontracted Player to Gold Coast FC.

Wednesday November 10, 2pm - List Lodgement Two.

Friday November 12, 2pm - Delisted Primary List Draft Nomination Deadline.

Friday November 12, 2pm - Non-Retained Rookie Draft Nomination Deadline.

Friday November 12 - Priority Zone Selections, Queensland and NT.

Thursday November 18 - NAB AFL Draft Selection meeting, Gold Coast Convention Centre.

Tuesday November 23, 2pm - Out of Contract Primary List Draft Nomination Deadline.

Tuesday November 23, 2pm - International Player Inclusion on Rookie List Deadline.

Tuesday November 23, 2pm - Players not Registered for Three Years inclusion on Rookie List Deadline.

Tuesday November 23, 2pm - NSW Scholarship Player and International Scholarship Player inclusion on Rookie List Deadline.

Wednesday November 24, 2pm - List Lodgement Three and TPP Estimates.

Tuesday November 30, 2pm - Delisted Primary List Draft Nomination Deadline.

Tuesday November 30 - Previously Listed Players or Draft Nominated Players Deadline. Gold Coast FC may nominate up to 10 players whose nomination is current for the 2010 Draft but who have not previously been on a Club List or a Primary List.

Tuesday November 30, 2pm - GWS Zone Access. Team GWS to nominate up to 16 draft-eligible players from NSW/ACT outside the current NSW scholarship region.

Tuesday December 7, 10am - NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft Meeting (Microsoft Live Meeting).

Tuesday December 7, 10.10am - Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast FC and Sydney Swans Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations.

Tuesday December 7, 10.15am - NAB AFL Rookie Draft Meeting (Microsoft Live Meeting). Team GWS have selections 1-8 and the Gold Coast FC has selection nine and the first selection in each subsequent round.

Friday December 10, 2pm - Team GWS to Nominate up to 12 17 Year-olds born between January 1 and April 30, 1993.

Hope this helps old timer....

Absolute rubbish. He wants me to talk players ... I won't do that. I know the rules ... I just wont "belittle" our boys.

Was Kyle Cheney "belittled" when he was traded to Hawthorn for greater opportunities in return for a pick upgrade exchange?

Would Matthew Warnock be "belittled" if he was traded to Carlton to bolster their key defence and have a chance to play in a premiership in return for a similar pick upgrade?

Look well played to you - you've had me going for a long time. But it's apparent that all along in every post you've just been taking the pi55 - it's impossible that anyone could seriously hold the ridiculous opinions you post. Joke's over now - you win.

Guest hangon007

Was Kyle Cheney "belittled" when he was traded to Hawthorn for greater opportunities in return for a pick upgrade exchange?

Different draft different strategy!!!!

Would Matthew Warnock be "belittled" if he was traded to Carlton to bolster their key defence and have a chance to play in a premiership in return for a similar pick upgrade?

Trade your depth away all you want in this draft. This is not the draft to do it. But, its not up to you where you send the player ... its where they want to go. Then the other club has to want him. Then it all comes down to price. What if they offered you a 3rd round pick .... How is that an upgrade .... ohhhhhhh????? Its not. If we are only going to use 3 picks in this weak draft .... penny will drop for you one day. Its only an upgrade if you use it.

Look well played to you - you've had me going for a long time. But it's apparent that all along in every post you've just been taking the pi55 - it's impossible that anyone could seriously hold the ridiculous opinions you post. Joke's over now - you win.

I could say the same to you. :) Think thats game set & match. But I'm not convinced the penny will drop for you.

Edited by hangon007

If our recruiters are to go down the O'Meara track then I trust that whoever is looking after our interests has been to see the player and his family already.

This would apply irrespective of how the Scully scenario pans out. We're part of this competition and we should aim for the best quality players along with all other clubs in the competition. With the impending advent of free agency we've got to get used to being in the kitchen and to withstanding its heat.

If our recruiters are to go down the O'Meara track then I trust that whoever is looking after our interests has been to see the player and his family already.

This would apply irrespective of how the Scully scenario pans out. We're part of this competition and we should aim for the best quality players along with all other clubs in the competition. With the impending advent of free agency we've got to get used to being in the kitchen and to withstanding its heat.

I would absolutely hope they have! And are actively seeking his sig'.

Thanks Jack.

Guest hangon007

Yip the Dockers have already done that, their offer sounds mighty good to the parents to keep their son in WA.

Different draft different strategy!!!!

Trade your depth away all you want in this draft. This is not the draft to do it. But, its not up to you where you send the player ... its where they want to go. Then the other club has to want him. Then it all comes down to price. What if they offered you a 3rd round pick .... How is that an upgrade .... ohhhhhhh????? Its not. If we are only going to use 3 picks in this weak draft .... penny will drop for you one day. Its only an upgrade if you use it.

Different thread ... same shtick - you're pretending to misunderstand the argument.

I said 3 players have to go from the senior list -

You said you wouldn't name them because it would belittle them

I asked does it belittle Cheney or Warnock to trade them?

Yes different drafts - same requirement that 3 players have to go from the list.

It doesn't matter how deep the drafts are - 3 players have to go from the list.

I understand that we may only use 3 picks and I understand that an upgrade has to be in those picks to be effective.

The Cheney upgrade was a 3rd round upgrade.

But you don't even have to use the pick and it's not "belittling" to get Matthew Warnock to the club he wants to go to for pick 99.

The bottom line is 3 players have to go from the list and talking about trading them is not belittling them.

Guest hangon007

Different thread ... same shtick - you're pretending to misunderstand the argument.

I said 3 players have to go from the senior list -

You said you wouldn't name them because it would belittle them

I asked does it belittle Cheney or Warnock to trade them?

Yes different drafts - same requirement that 3 players have to go from the list.

It doesn't matter how deep the drafts are - 3 players have to go from the list.

I understand that we may only use 3 picks and I understand that an upgrade has to be in those picks to be effective.

The Cheney upgrade was a 3rd round upgrade.

But you don't even have to use the pick and it's not "belittling" to get Matthew Warnock to the club he wants to go to for pick 99.

The bottom line is 3 players have to go from the list and talking about trading them is not belittling them.

You jumped to the wrong assumption again ...

You know your wrong. Your Warnock example was proven to be NO PICK UPGRADE ... its YOU who was arguing for pick upgrades. You are dreaming if you think its a major improvement in this draft.

All you are doing is jumping down my throat at every opportunity ...

Why

a/ Because I wont tell you how the Scully trade will be done ... if he chooses to go. B) Which I hope he does not.

b/ You have no concept of diffrent drafts diffrent strategies. Because you have no ability to gauge draft depths.

c/ You dont understand who ultimately holds the power when it comes to trading, contract or no contract. Price is negotiated by both parties ... in "theory" GWS could offer us picks 1,2,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 for Matty Bate ... be if he wont go ... you've GOT NOTHING.

I acknowledge from your other post you have to move players on. See the word "YIP" ... but I would not name them ... irrespective if you ask 1 or 2 times ... even if you do add/change your post the second time. :o

You can ask 20 times and I wont "belittle" our boys. As I said before you do understand the rules which I've given you credit for on more than 1 occasion ... However, you have no ability how to apply them, you have no ability how to formulate strategies.

Edited by hangon007