Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

"We're not where we should be"

Over the last few weeks I constantly here people critizing our club saying they are not where we should be, even Bailet said it today in the paper…Really? Is that true?

Over the last decade football has been hit with the phenomena know as rebuiding. Lets have a look at the history of the rebuild and where we are in comparision.

The first team to ever attempt to completely rebuild via low picks in the draft was St Kilda. Lets have a look at their draft history:

2000- - riewoldt (pick 1) kosi (pick 2)

2001- ball (pick 2) Clarke (pick 5) nick dal santo (13)

2002, goddard (pick 1)

• notice they had 5 picks in their first 2 years of rebuilding.

2002 marked the end of their early draft picks. In 2003 they finished 11th. In 2004 the finished a remarkable 3rd, that was 4 years after they started their rebuild(the same year we are currently in). However, they tapered off finishing 6th the following year and then 4th the year after. In 2007 they missed the finals, and since 2008 they have either made the prelim or better. 11 years after they started their rebuild- the dream seems to be over.

Despite failing to win a premiership, they have definitely had their opportunities. Obviously we are a bit behind their ladder position of 3rd in the 4th yr of the rebuild. However it is important to note, in our first year we picked up morton(pick 4) (we missed kruezer due to our loss against carlton round 22). In the equivalent year for St kilda they had pick 1 & 2 (rooey and Kozi) and in 2004 when the finished 3rd those guys were having a serious impact. In that same year Riewoldt kicked 67 goals. We definitely started the rebuild slower than them, hopefully we can have more success too.

With the early success of St Kilda’s rebuild Carlton took it to a new level and introduced the concept of “tanking” in order to rebuild. Their rebuild started in 2005 (6 years ago):

2005- Murphy kennedy

2006- gibbs

2007 kruezer + pick 3 which the on traded to WCE.

Again, carlton in their first year of rebuilding had pick 1 and an other pick in the top 5(we just had cale morton). Lets look at their progress since their rebuild. We have to factor in the fact they also had a bit of a push along by some guy call Chris Judd:

2008- 11th

2009 & 2010- 7th & 8th

2011- looking good for a top 4 spot.

4 years after beginning the rebuild, the position we are currently in. Carlton made the finals. We must remember, we haven’t traded for a Judd and in our first year we only drafted Morton vs their Kennedy and Murphy.

Lets now take a look at Melbourne:

2007- morton

2008- watts

2009- scully trenners gysberts

Last year we finished outside the 8 (the same as all the others). This year we look like we are going to finish outside the 8 as well, both St Kilda and Carlton made the finals in their equivalent year. (who knows what would have happened if we hadn’t been cursed with injuries.)

However, in St Kilda’s first 2 years of rebuilding they had 5 early picks. Carlton had 3 + judd. We had just 2- morton and watts, both skinny boys who were always going to take more time!

Okay, Morton hasn’t come along as expected. But he has had numerous long term injuries. That compounded with the fact he was going to take time anyway, is it a surprise we haven’t seen his best yet?

Watts, yr 12 commitments in yr 1, then had injuries- not allowing him to complete a preseason. Now that he has had his first full preseason, we are seeing some serious improvement.

Scully, injury interrupted preseason year one and this year hasn’t played a game due to injury.

Gysberts, missed most of last years preseason due to injury and the same goes for this year.

Trenners is the only one of the 5 who hasn’t really had an injury.

Now does it make a bit more sense why we are taking a bit longer than Carlton and St Kilda? Combine that with ditching TJ, Mclean, Bruce and Mcdonald it starts to make more sense. Combine that with grimes, scully, trenners, Jamar, Garland, Davey, Wona, Bail, not playing this week. It starts making sense, maybe we are even ahead of where we should be? Tonight, 6 years after Carlton started their rebuild we will get a look at where we should be in 2 years.

Dont lose patience, keep the faith.

DD

Edited by demondomination

I think it's fair to expect some improvement though, year in year out. We have had a horror injury run this year, but the manner in which we have played and lost in some games has been disheartening. I am more interested in our development and it will be from next year onwards (in particular 2013-2015)that I expect us to be amongst the better sides. Once our young guns become the core group (75-100 games or more) we will be a much better side.

Any coach can finish last and get number 1 draft pick. Hardwick has acheived more in two years than Baliey has in four...ie,. getting more out of his players...better exposure for the club...

I think Melbournes Recruiting has been very speculative...ie., strauss, blease, gawn, fitzpatrick....not saying they won't make AFL players...but blokes like Darling went after Cook last year...and nathan Vardy went at pick 42 and gawn went at pick 34....obviously it would be great to have a crystal ball...

Edited by disco_demon

I think Melbournes Recruiting has been very speculative...ie., strauss, blease, gawn, fitzpatrick....not saying they won't make AFL players...but blokes like Darling went after Cook last year...and nathan Vardy went at pick 42 and gawn went at pick 34....obviously it would be great to have a crystal ball...

Jeez, Darling has been there for 5 minutes, and Vardy hasn't played yet. Cook was the All-Australian CHF and definately looks the goods, just has to develop a bit more physically. Gawn is coming along a treat as well. Get down to Casey and watch them, you'll be quite impressed.

With less Injuries maybe the MFC could have made the final this year, but i fully expected us to finished outside the top eight.

I still believe that the MFC are on track, and we are were we should be.

It seems to me, to be the media trying to draw blood from the MFC.

It started with Eddie on Triple MMM, With the Scully to GWS rumors and then the Beamer issue of being [censored] in(on) a bar. Even Kevin Bartlett was chimming in on SEN, calling MFC supporters sooks for complain about GWS. (but hay, don't the tigers look great, donate now!).

The media has been beating up on us, from the start of the year. Since the scully issue broke, which i think has been made up to brake down the unity at the club. Pryer to this the club was flying into the 2011 season, maybe a few got a fright and so the attack begain.

Guest Thomo

With less Injuries maybe the MFC could have made the final this year, but i fully expected us to finished outside the top eight.

Melbourne were playing rubbish football with almost a full list, now people are trying to re-write history and say that injuries are the problem. Who was missing from the West Coast, Sydney and Hawthorne games? Melbourne were in the eight, but had wins over the two teams expected to finish last and second last, and a draw with a side that most believe is average at best.

No chance of finals with a full list. Bailey is two years behind every other coach in the league with tactics, and the players struggle to get motivated with him in charge.

Guest Artie Bucco

Actually, the astute tacticians of the game say that the way to beat the press is with good kicking.

We have elite kicking skills and are working on a gameplan to tear the press to shreds.

Just like the teething problems in the early stages when Clarkson developed the zone, we are bound to have the same difficulties as we master it.

Just because it's not working as planned just yet, does not mean it never.

Melbourne were playing rubbish football with almost a full list, now people are trying to re-write history and say that injuries are the problem. Who was missing from the West Coast, Sydney and Hawthorne games? Melbourne were in the eight, but had wins over the two teams expected to finish last and second last, and a draw with a side that most believe is average at best.

No chance of finals with a full list. Bailey is two years behind every other coach in the league with tactics, and the players struggle to get motivated with him in charge.

I fully expected MFC to finish outside the top 8. :huh:

This season is not over yet.

When we have Scully, Trengove, Tapscott, Garland, Jamar, Davie and Bail back in a month the Demons would added another recruit to their team, hunger. Hunger driven by the humiliation of the season to date, the realisation that success is not going to arrive on a platter and the knowledge and growing pride amongst the playing group that we're are alot better than we've shown to date.

Honest question. How many people actually expected us to make the finals this year? I was hoping but it if we did make them it was a bonus.

This year was always going to be another developing year, I know a lot of you are sick of it but it's a reality of the situation. This year we had to get more game time into our kids ie Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Watts, Tapscott, Maric, Bennell etc It is extremely difficult and rare to make finals with such a young and inexperienced team. Unfortunately this has been made even more difficult by injuries to key players ie Jamar, Grimes, Scully, Fawley etc, although those injuries have allowed us to play kids like Evans and now Nicholson which has enabled us to get more of an idea of where they're at.

Actually, the astute tacticians of the game say that the way to beat the press is with good kicking.

We have elite kicking skills and are working on a gameplan to tear the press to shreds.

If you're reading old-dee here is your chuckle for the day

Over at ology this would be a Friday Funny

Honest question. How many people actually expected us to make the finals this year? I was hoping but it if we did make them it was a bonus.

This year was always going to be another developing year, I know a lot of you are sick of it but it's a reality of the situation. This year we had to get more game time into our kids ie Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Watts, Tapscott, Maric, Bennell etc It is extremely difficult and rare to make finals with such a young and inexperienced team. Unfortunately this has been made even more difficult by injuries to key players ie Jamar, Grimes, Scully, Fawley etc, although those injuries have allowed us to play kids like Evans and now Nicholson which has enabled us to get more of an idea of where they're at.

You seem to define "development" as not winning games :wacko:

If you're reading old-dee here is your chuckle for the day

Over at ology this would be a Friday Funny

I was just about to sign off DC and thought not one gem today.

obviously missed it, thanks my smile has returned.

not sure it will last long, I reckon about 8.15 it will be gone.

But hope springs eternal

But hope springs eternal

Don't stress od, you'll probably see melbourne get to play Brocky into form.

But hope springs eternal

Put those Horns on O.D. and turn the switch to "ON" Don't give up already Man.

FIRE UP. i am hoping Evans has another ripper like last week.

You seem to define "development" as not winning games :wacko:

Actually, winning or losing becomes irrelevant, developing for the future is the key.

Having said that I [censored] hate losing and I through a girly tantrum everytime we do, but the reality is that with a young team decimated by injuries we're not at our best.

Actually, winning or losing becomes irrelevant, developing for the future is the key.

Having said that I [censored] hate losing and I through a girly tantrum everytime we do, but the reality is that with a young team decimated by injuries we're not at our best.

A rise in expectation is inevitable and welcome as we get better.

So I guess the more girly tantrums, the better...

(Although I do have to say the rise in expectation between seasons has been outside of rational...)

A rise in expectation is inevitable and welcome as we get better.

So I guess the more girly tantrums, the better...

(Although I do have to say the rise in expectation between seasons has been outside of rational...)

I welcome the rise in expectations and I think it's great that the media is putting the spot light on us, we need to become a lot tougher and deal with these issues. The club is learning and developing in many areas, but I'm still confident that we're heading in the right direction.

I really should know the difference between through and throw... /sigh

Put those Horns on O.D. and turn the switch to "ON" Don't give up already Man.

FIRE UP. i am hoping Evans has another ripper like last week.

I will be there with my 2010 scarf ( dislike the maroon one )

But no horns WYL.

I am always hoping for a win but some games it is a bit difficult to see a win.

Yes it will be good to see Evans again and Nicholson.

Carn' the Dees

Jeez, Darling has been there for 5 minutes, and Vardy hasn't played yet. Cook was the All-Australian CHF and definately looks the goods, just has to develop a bit more physically. Gawn is coming along a treat as well. Get down to Casey and watch them, you'll be quite impressed.

that's my point....did we draft to far into the future?......Darling is playing AFL games...and developing at the sametime...big unit.

Nathan Vardy is playing this weekend (2nd Game?). 2nd year player.

Just questioning if we were to speculative in our later picks...ie., gawn, fitzpatrick, blease, strauss...maybe we should have gone bigger bodied players...as a straegy?

I will be there with my 2010 scarf ( dislike the maroon one )

But no horns WYL.

I am always hoping for a win but some games it is a bit difficult to see a win.

Yes it will be good to see Evans again and Nicholson.

Carn' the Dees

That's the Spirit, these young kids are our next leaders. Evans attack on the ball in that first Quarter last week was simply stunning.

He was fearless & looked to really enjoy the challenge. That type of player loves september action.

that's my point....did we draft to far into the future?......Darling is playing AFL games...and developing at the sametime...big unit.

Nathan Vardy is playing this weekend (2nd Game?). 2nd year player.

Just questioning if we were to speculative in our later picks...ie., gawn, fitzpatrick, blease, strauss...maybe we should have gone bigger bodied players...as a straegy?

Max GAWN will be the envy of the competition in a few years....He is Huge now, with room to become even more HUGE (and still be athletic).