Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

I like the idea of him giving insight into players Melbourne are looking to draft. Could be a very useful recruiting tool that we have available to us that not many other clubs would have.

I agree, reading the Marc Murphy article in the HS this week where he said Andrew Swallow was a freak, and couldn't believe he went 43 in the draft. could be very valuable information, given we will probably have 10 picks in next years draft

A number of people think the Neeld is fantastic, and so far he has made changes to the culture at Melbourne, which a lot of people are very excited with. I'm not getting too worked up until I've seen him coach the real thing. But while he has made some radical changes offield, he has also had the support of the CLub, and they have been willing to spend the money on what it is that he wants. It could be argued that Bailey and even Daniher didn't have the same level of offield support, and investment in to the FD that Neeld has had. Hopefully he repays the Club by producing a premiership. Time will tell. But, like a number of areas of the Club, he has no excuses.

What I'm getting at about Viney's style is that yeah, it impresses "a head coach"? My point is that it impresses "all head coaches", so that say that he will be a "Neeld Player" is odd. If Neeld turns out a failure, I don't want any of pur players being "Neeld Players".

No! he has not made Any changes to the Culture at Melbourne. Not yet. And it would take up to ten years to get the culture ingrained enough to become a legacy.

He is just starting, to TRY To Change the Culture.

IMO, it will really start @ the End of this Year, with the broom, Brushing away... Let It Bristle...

Would we have to use a Scully pic or could we use our second rounder if we finish low enough and JV isn't nominated by another club? EQ indicates in her article that it will be a first rounder.

Compo picks aren't used on FS. So we have to use our first "normal" pick after another team bids. So if we finish 16th say GWS or GC (17th & 18th) will have to bid for him with pick 1 or 2 for us to have to use our first round pick. However seeing as though we have already committed to him and signed a contract it would be pretty stupid of them not to put a bid in.

Compo picks aren't used on FS. So we have to use our first "normal" pick after another team bids. So if we finish 16th say GWS or GC (17th & 18th) will have to bid for him with pick 1 or 2 for us to have to use our first round pick. However seeing as though we have already committed to him and signed a contract it would be pretty stupid of them not to put a bid in.

What happens if somehow we finish last without a win for the season?

Can we use our 2nd round selection for Jack Viney? Also would we get a priority pick straight after our 2nd round pick?

Would it be - 1, 2, 13, first second round pick(Jack Viney), then a priory pick.

It would be worthwhile Neeld thinking about it with a very deep draft this year.

Just a thought.

The other question is what do we do with Jack this season? It seems to be clear as mud with what GWS and the Gold Coast can do. If we are 17th can Sheedy put a bit in for him knowing that Jack is contracted to us? However if GWS does not make a bid or we finish last Jack Viney slides down to our last selection in the draft.

Edited by Sdemon53

But let's say there are 2 or 3 absolute standouts like Kruezer/Cotchin or Scully/Trengove, and Viney may not even play much this year ,, would it not be draft tampering to bid for Viney?

I stated in another thread, that I thought there would be now way in hell that Sheedy would not bid and allow us to get Viney in the second round, however someone else stated that if he is not ranked in the top 2 or 3 players they can't.

Can anyone clarify this?

Guest José Mourinho

That's rubbish - of course Sheedy can bid for him.

There is no official ranking, and he is not bound by Emma Qauyle's opinion...

What happens if somehow we finish last without a win for the season?

Can we use our 2nd round selection for Jack Viney?

Yes

Also would we get a priority pick straight after our 2nd round pick?

Would it be - 1, 2, 13, first second round pick(Jack Viney), then a priory pick.

No - the AFL got rid of priority picks. Priority picks can still be allocated however they are at the AFL's discretion. You don't automatically get a priority pick for winning less than 5 games anymore. Considering the amount of picks we will have anyway (due to the Scully compo) we will not get a priority pick this year.

The other question is what do we do with Jack this season? It seems to be clear as mud with what GWS and the Gold Coast can do. If we are 17th can Sheedy put a bit in for him knowing that Jack is contracted to us? However if GWS does not make a bid or we finish last Jack Viney slides down to our last selection in the draft.

The contract situation is tricky as no-one really knows the extent of the contract. I would say it is less a "contract" and more a promise to draft him. You can't contract players before the draft otherwise there would be a free agency of juniors coming through with no draft. The only way Viney can slide to our last selection in the draft is if no-one makes any bids for him (as happened with Blues and Buckley last year). However this will not happen as if teams do not bid a first round pick they will bid a second round pick.

If we finish 17th or 16th and GWS or GC make a bid I would like to see us call their bluff if there is a better kid available. I am not sure what the contract situation is (what obligation we have to pick him) or where he is expected to land in the draft. If he is seen as a top 20 pick only by draft day it would be negligent of us to pick him just because of the FS situation if we can get a potential top 2 pick with pick 3 or 4. So that is a risk GC or GWS would have to take on the basis that they know we will draft Viney regardless of where we rate him or what pick we have to use.

Having said all that he is touted as a top 5 pick (potential top 3) so I doubt we would be throwing anything away by picking him but it is an interesting situation.

What if we do a deal with Jack - if GWS nominate him they can take him with pick 1, we get (hypothetical) picks 3, 4 & 13 and then after his initial 2 year contract is up, he comes back to Melbourne.

Of course he would have to take care of his body up there meaning minimal game time due to "OP".

Guest José Mourinho

Huh, imagine IF Sheedy did get Jack???? The Mind just boggles at the possibilities!!!

It's all in Sheedy's court.

We have no influence over what he decides to do.

Either Sheedy bids and we have to take Jack with our first pick (since there's no way we won't).

Or he (inexplicably) thinks it's a risk we won't match the bid and that Viney is not worth the pick, and we get to take him 2nd round.

We get Viney either way, no doubt about that.

What if we do a deal with Jack - if GWS nominate him they can take him with pick 1, we get (hypothetical) picks 3, 4 & 13 and then after his initial 2 year contract is up, he comes back to Melbourne.

Of course he would have to take care of his body up there meaning minimal game time due to "OP".

or "GS"

It's all in Sheedy's court.

We have no influence over what he decides to do.

Either Sheedy bids and we have to take Jack with our first pick (since there's no way we won't).

Or he (inexplicably) thinks it's a risk we won't match the bid and that Viney is not worth the pick, and we get to take him 2nd round.

We get Viney either way, no doubt about that.

Hmmn, wheels within wheels. B)

No! he has not made Any changes to the Culture at Melbourne. Not yet. And it would take up to ten years to get the culture ingrained enough to become a legacy.

He is just starting, to TRY To Change the Culture.

IMO, it will really start @ the End of this Year, with the broom, Brushing away... Let It Bristle...

A nice point re the legacy. And no doubt a very hard task for the whole FD really on the culture change, especially after so many years in the wilderness. Hopefully we can also play a reasonably attractive brand when we do start winning in order to attract some new fans and build the membership base. No doubt success will breed success on that front to some degree.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Guest KingDingAling

Sheedy will bid and so he should.

We will get Jack for a pick 4-5 and thats a round abouts spot on.

No way in hell Sheedz doesnt bid on Viney, he will for the media attention alone, Sheedz is irrelevant, knows it and loves a headline.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Guest Dr Who

Anyone got a racehorses head they dont need? Looks like they are turning the heat up on the Demons.

Wonder??? if Mark wants us to join the dots. Kiss my fat ass I say.

Edited by Dr Who

If JV does end up being rated around the second half of the first round, and Melbourne do have pick three (the circumstances outlined in the article), I will stake my house on us getting him for our second round pick.

Whether or not we would actually be willing to spend pick 3 on him should be irrelevent. If we can't create enough doubt in the minds of GWS and GC to prevent them risking giving up pick 1 or 2 for a kid rated the second half of the first round, then the people who run this club should be fired. Seriously.

Should this ridiculous scenerio arise, I look forward to Sheedy's explanation to GWS's fans as to why they spent their number 1 pick on a second half of the first round player who will probably be angling to get back to Melbourne after his 2 year rookie contract is up.

• Like 1

I'd be up for calling Sheedy's bluff.

It's the week after the Grand Final. Discussion turning to Viney. Someone sticks a mic in front of Neeld. We have pick 3.

Neeld says 'if GWS are prepared to give up Whitfield or Vlastuin, I'd happily take them off their hands for pick 3."

Watch the media go bananas.

• Like 1

I'd be up for calling Sheedy's bluff.

It's the week after the Grand Final. Discussion turning to Viney. Someone sticks a mic in front of Neeld. We have pick 3.

Neeld says 'if GWS are prepared to give up Whitfield or Vlastuin, I'd happily take them off their hands for pick 3."

Watch the media go bananas.

Absolutely, Striker. My sentiments exactly.

The only way I can see us getting a raw deal out of this, is if JV ends up being rated a tiny bit worse than the pick we end up with. Say, less than about 5 picks worse (eg we end up with pick 4, and he's rated around 8 or 9). Then teams with picks before us will be pretty sure that we'd still take him, and might nominate. Any greater gap between our pick and his ranking, and we should easily be able to convince teams above us that we may force them to take him. So, worse case scenario, we get a top half of first round player, for a slightly better top half of first round pick. I'll cop that.