Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for next week vs Carlton

Eth

People here who think Bailey's the problem are in cloud cuckoo land.

We have out of form players, inexperienced players, underdone players, experienced and key players missing, and players who under normal circumstances wouldn't have a whiff of a chance of playing AFL ... all thrown together in a makeshift team where there are constant injury-imposed changes in the team, or even in what's happening on field (having to restructure during the game to cover the likes of Grimes, Garland and Tapscott). Because of the injuries and subs (first quarter again this week), we're even down on rotations and running out of legs.

Look at the players in the Demonland header ... Frawley missed most of the business end of the pre-season, Scully out, Jurrah (still a comparatively inexperienced player) hot and cold, Sylvia good, Grimes out, Green struggling with captaincy and Davey ... well, the less said the better. So, of those 7 masthead players, the "stars" of the club, we have a grand total of one (Sylvia) who's half-way consistently decent.

It is what it is.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FB: Frawley, Warnock, Bartram

HB: Strauss, Rivers, Sylvia

C: Morton, McKenzie, Jones

HF: Petterd, Watts, Green

FF: Martin, Jurrah, Maric

FOLL: Campbell, Moloney, Evans

INT: Blease, Gysberts, Jetta

SUB: Howe

EMERG: Davey, J. MacDonald, T. McDonald

IN: Blease, Campbell, Howe, Morton, Strauss

OUT: Tapscott (inj), Bate, Davey, MacDonald, Newton

I know Robert Campbell has only played half a game for Casey reserves so far (issue with Casey reserves having the bye 2 weeks straight and Casey having it this week). But he needs to be rushed into the side to bolster our ruck stocks, help out Martin and help provide some leadership amongst the group. I also feel for the good of Gawn's development we shouldn't expose him to the AFL level until next year if we can help it.

Blease will help with our run and speed across the ground which is vital with matches against Carlton & Essendon coming up. I'd of given Nicholson a match for this reason also but my final rookie promotion spot went to Campbell instead.

Howe deserves a call up, and I reckon playing as the sub could suit him well. Could come onto the wing, half forward or deep forward and have a big impact.

Morton received a good write up from Gotch after Casey's last match, says he played on to ball at times and was better around contaested footy.

Strauss gets a game with his kicking to help us coming out of defence. Form at Casey probably hasn't warranted it but it's time for him to stand up after 2 and a half injury interupted seasons on the list.

Edit: Replaced Bennell with Strauss as Bennell despit being dropped last week didn't have a match at Casey which I think he needs to prove that his worked on his issues.

Edited by Tall Defence

I thought yesterday's battle between Newton and Koschitzke for the worst player in the AFL was the most enjoyable aspect of the game. Watching Rivers just body Kosi off the incoming ball like he was flicking lint was as fascinating as it was hilarious, while Gwilt did the same to Newton.

Surely he must NEVER be given another game!

OUTS : Tapscott obviously, Newton, Bate (what did he offer that it wouldn't be worth debuting Howe for?), Watts (just kidding),

INS: Bennell, Morton, Howe.

Whatever, we are in for a massive and very ugly thumping. :o

I know people are allowed to share their opinions, as this is a forum, but I do wonder how some people think of their comments.

It is obvious that we all have our favourites and our own whipping boys so we judge accordingly.

To Don24 or whatever your name is (cant remember what your name was on your post) when you said Macdonald took too many players on and got tackled and then gave away a 50 at the start of the last quarter, watch the game. He took 2 steps and got tackled, bad vision, but not taking on too many players, and Davey gave away the 50!

In terms of selections:

Out: Newton, Taspcott, Bate and ?????

In: Gawn or Campbell, Howe, Blease and Bennell for some pace

I cant see them dropping Davey, especially with the injuries. I am thinking make him SUB

At least MacDonald and Bartram and Jones have a dip and goes back with the flight. If they make 1 error so many people are all over them.

I dont think we expect to win too many games in the next 6 rounds so it is time to stand up and give 100%. I know we would prefer to win, but under the current circumstances just effort and improvement is needed. Blood MORE youngsters and have a go.

Just a question too, to those who bag Bailey's Game Plan (or so called plan, what is he doing differently to the other coaches (excluding the WCE game)?

Is it his plan or the players lack of execution and decision making?

Just a question too, to those who bag Bailey's Game Plan (or so called plan, what is he doing differently to the other coaches (excluding the WCE game)?

Is it his plan or the players lack of execution and decision making?

Forward structure. Whether it's the players or the coaches, and I still believe it's the coaches, our forwards push too far up the ground, especially when we're losing.

The other thing he does that I hate is he reverts to the loose man in defence when the other side gets on a run of goals. That just doens't work. It doesn't make us play any better, in fact it usually doesn't help us. Moreover, I can't see how, when you're a few goals behind, going defensive is going help. Surely when you fall behind you would want to hit back with a couple of goals? Yet whenever we put the loose man in defence, the opponent's loose man prevents us from getting scores back against them.

Whatever happens, Davey has to go in spite of all the injuries. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't but we have to draw the line in the sand now. We need a statement from the club stating we won't tolerate anymore habitual softness from senior leadership players.

Ch 7 have charged, judged and virtually sentenced Bartram for a "Trengove Tackle" on Winmar, and we all know that the AFL take note of "incidents" that are shown 3 times in raid sequence, especially when commentators all shout "GUILTY".

Another perfect tackle, so a holiday seems inevitable! Ha Ha

More seriously, unlike Trenner's tackle there was no sling involved and presumably no concussion (Winmar came back on), but I reckon Barty will get a week for 'head high' contact.

No matter who we have playing, our game plan is not even in the ball park for modern day football.

We need leadership within the football department as well as on the field. Having spoken to one former assistant coach, the football department spends more time talking and having meetings than coaching. Its ok, if Bailey wants to be a teaching coach, under 18's might be a more suitable role. We need a coach who develops a team structure, has an idea of where he wants to go and implement it on a weekly basis. It is no point having a team of youngsters if you cannot guide them in the correct direction.

Everything points to a slaughter of 2008/9 proportions to me.

We will drop a couple and put in a couple kids.

IMO it will not change much.

We are simply in a different league to Carlton.

They are probably thinking about the percentage gain next friday.

Given we are going to get smashed anyway, I'd bring in Morton and give him the job on Judd, like we gave him the job on Goodes for a few years.

Fewer tasks in football that require more defensive attention and guts. Could be just the thing to get Morton out of the funk he's been in.

Strauss is miles off selection for us, his efforts at Casey have been mediocre at best this year. People need to look beyond how high in the draft some of these guys were drafted at, and look at their exposed form instead.

Out: Tapscott, Newton

In: Gawn, Nicholson

I like the idea floated on here earlier of Davey as the sub.

If we're going to commit hari-kari, this is the sword we should use.

Not sure why everyone keeps mentioning Blease. All the reports from Casey suggest that he's still some way off. While the run is there, the defensive work isn't.

Given our current injuries it is unlikely we will win any of the following three games.

This is a time we should give a taste in some of developing players namely - Howe, Gawn and Nicholson to see how they go.

Changes for next week

In - Howe, Gawn, Nicholson and Morton

Out - Tapscott, Bate, Newton & Pettard

Sub - Davey

Howe to provide a forward target to make a contest and allow our small forwards to get their hands on the ball

Gawn to alternate between ruck and full forward. When at full forward he is to stay in the goal square and use his height to advantage.

Nicholson - earn't the right to start in the 22 and adds some pace to the line up.

Morton - agree with some of the other posters that he is too good to be at Casey

Please do not bring back Bennell - he was been as bad as Davey this year.

If the club is serious about development then in the coming weeks

newton needs to make way for Cook

Bate for Howe

Davey for Blease

Tapscott for Morton

Macdonald for Tom Macdonald

Warnock for anyone, maybe Nicholson, not like for like but Cook can play back as can Watts.

Watts is the clubs most improved player by a mile, well done Jack.

Not sure why everyone keeps mentioning Blease. All the reports from Casey suggest that he's still some way off. While the run is there, the defensive work isn't.

True, but he has been 'More Lively', (Blease) over the last 2 - 3 games....

So, IMO, injuries &suspensions have dictated that we are short on, for some dynamic players with run and dash. Howe has had some MOJO going, (has played some senior football), and Nicholson and Bennell can play with dash. Nicholson also has the strong ability to burrow in for his own footy.

*Petterd, has looked like he has been wearing a frown lately. Looks like he doesn't want to be in the team. Not a good look at all.

Given we are going to get smashed anyway, I'd bring in Morton and give him the job on Judd, like we gave him the job on Goodes for a few years.

Fewer tasks in football that require more defensive attention and guts. Could be just the thing to get Morton out of the funk he's been in.

Good call, I 'd go with that.

Whatever happens, Davey has to go in spite of all the injuries. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't but we have to draw the line in the sand now. We need a statement from the club stating we won't tolerate anymore habitual softness from senior leadership players.

Agreed... We are damned for one game against the Blues, if we drop him.... If, we don't, we miss the opportunity for the selectors to Make the statement thats a long time coming. No More SOFT play @ Melbourne!!!

We will have the following week, against essendon, Jamar/ Trengove/ Dunn/ (poss' Scully - sub)... so there could be some good inclusions for the MCG game against the dons. Add to that Davey could come back in.

If we're going to commit hari-kari, this is the sword we should use.

Can you show me your changes. We will not win with players like Newton, Bate and Petterd so why not blood the kids. We have very limited options to play on Carltons small forwards and they will kill us with the players we had moving the ball off half back today. Should we bring back in Bennell and Morton who have yet to learn from the reasons they were dropped in the first place?

The usual rule about dropping players is whether you replace one player for someone who you think will be better for the team than the player being replaced.

On yesterday's performances, I think there are about half a dozen who could be dropped but Chris Connolly told a Demons' luncheon on Friday that if you have six changes you usually lose.

I would still be bold and try to ring in four changes this week because we have one advantage in that a number of players at Casey have been playing well (we saw what Michael Evans could do when given his call up) and, given that Casey had a bye this weekend, any players we move up will be fresh and will be replacing players who otherwise would be having a six day break.

I thought the club might show a bit of boldness last week by giving 208cm Max Gawn a run to stretch the St. Kilda rucks but, instead it went for Martin as first ruck with Michael Newton as his back up. That strategy has been a massive fail as far as Juice has been concerned. If our selectors make the same mistake for a third week in a row I will be disappointed - particularly given that Robert Warnock is a likely out injured due to concussion (although concussion didn't hurt Patrick Dangerfield's chances of selection six days after suffering concussion - or at least its symptoms) and it's too early for Kreuzer to come back.

I'd also tempt the Blues to rest Judd by bringing in at least one more first gamer in Jeremy Howe and the other change is either Cale Morton or James Strauss into the side, my preference being Morton.

Another consideration might be Sam Blease for his pace but I don't think he's quite ready yet.

WJ, you make too much sense.

I would give Davey the job on either Betts or Garlett. If he's tagging then he can't be tagged.

Agree with Gawn, Howe & Morton.

Why do we have to have him in the side, it is extremely unlikely we will get close to the blues with or without Judd / Warnock.

So make a statement play Davey at Casey,

Seriously could his replacement be much worse.

He has been poor all season why will things change on friday night.

I would play Davey but switch his role, play him on Yarran as a defensive forward tag. We have two main isues our forwards push to far up the ground giving us no options when we break from half back and on the flip side when we forward press we are getting to many easy goals kicked out the back. We need to have two players in our defensive 50m arc when we press, we are not good enough at pressing and we can't win games when we have 4-5 goals per week kicked by our zone being beaten and players running into open goals.

As for changes, we need to decide are we playing for now or tomorrow. Unfortunately playing Bate and Newton will not help us improve players for the future. On current form I wouldn't expect these two to be o our list at years end.

For me

Out Taspcott, Bate, Newton, Bartram(I think he will get rubbed out hope not but likely)

In Bennell, Gawn, Nicholson, Blease

Maric Watts Green

Jurrah Sylvia Davey

Jones Moloney Evans

MacDonald Rivers Nicholson

Bennell Warnock Frawley

Martin Gysberts McKenzie

Gawn Jetta Petterd

Sub Blease

We need to bring in players that have the ability to break lines, we need this as we have Moloney, Jones, McKenzie, Gysberts, Jetta, Sylvia that can win the footy in close but with Davey out of form we need quick skilled players Evans was able to bring this and also win his own footy. Bennell plays on Garlett, Frawley to Betts, Rivers gets first crack at Waite.