Baileys response

Demon Stalwart

People who think things are bad now have some respect for the good that he has done, if not for Bailey Simon Godfrey would still be running around... He had the balls to make some calls on many Melbourne players, to date I think he has done a great job in getting together a list that might have some potential... Is he the man for the job going forward, im not so confident. He can set all the game plans he like when your senior players are not prepared to work and run hard your not going to win that doesnt matter what level or team you play for!

I think your point about Bailey's achievements is fair comment, it is very easy to underestimate how difficult it is to cull and develop a group that will be successful in the future. I also agree that he may not be the leader to take us forward. What does worry me is the lack of flair, guts rhythem or arrogance that statrted to came through last year. From what I have seen we are very flat, although at times showing flashes of brilliance. I thoght that was a sensible post after allthe completely justifiable venting to date,

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roos: if you want to be taken seriously stop calling for the recruitment of Roos - he's always made it clear that one stint at coaching the swans was it for him. HE WILL NOT COACH!

Now Malthouse - that's another matter! I believe Malthouse has heard about the odd tactic of picking up opposition players, so maybe he may have more of an idea.

I was actually a fan of the Bailey plan until last night showed all the faults clearly.

It is Malthouse or bust.

Roos will not coach any AFL team next year.

DS, not having a go or anything, but did you watch the game last night?

Alot of people are calling for Bailey to stand down or for the MFC to sack him. While I sit on the fence regarding this, I see where he is coming from with the "back to basics" call.

Last night the skills of the players left alot to be answered.

These are BASIC football skills:

Kicking - Not only could we not hit a target from 15m away, we could not even keep the ball inside the boundry. Some of the out on the fulls went 5 rows back into the crowd. Our kicking out needs a full overhaul. Jamming the ball on the boot out of back and straight to WC players. Bombing the ball long to packs, without even trying to set up a play.

Tackling - WC had a field day with casually strolling through and around Melb players. How many times did a WC player break through or around 2 Melb players.

Manning up - At stages through the game it looked like WC had double the players on the ground. They found to much space to run around in. It made us look completely silly.

Handballing - Same as kicking except easier. We couldn't even hit a target 5 metre's away, and when we did, the recieving player was under to much pressure.

Running - SYLVIA, it's left, then right and then left again.

Supporters are talking about gameplans, and while I agree, The players need to show me the basic set of skills to play a game of football at AFL level.

These guys are meant to be the cream of the crop and surely "basics" should come as second nature to them. They can kick, they can mark, the can handball, they can run, they can tie up their boots - surely. What they need is some direction and guidance with decent game plans. Game plans, I would reckon come from the supposed brains trust - which I think over the last 4 years have not come up with anything that would produce a finals appearance let alone a Premiership.

These guys are meant to be the cream of the crop and surely "basics" should come as second nature to them. They can kick, they can mark, the can handball, they can run, they can tie up their boots - surely. What they need is some direction and guidance with decent game plans. Game plans, I would reckon come from the supposed brains trust - which I think over the last 4 years have not come up with anything that would produce a finals appearance let alone a Premiership.

Individually those skills would be 2nd nature to most.

But collectively as a young team, intimidated by a huge opponent, at night, O' there. They Were Intimidated by the size, power and relentless pressure.

Can I ask you something?

Do you remember the young Hawks side around, Oh, 2002? They were getting belted frequently, then I think Brereton as a director, went in the rooms at Half Time and demanded a line in the sand...

Its too soon for us I think, because we are thinner than them at this time, but that is what well need when we get some more muscle into the side. Lets got McKenzie and, maybe Petterd or Mcdonald back in.

Nothing on the website except JOnes saying "again" it hurts (not blaming Jonesy) but where is the coach telling the faithful what's going to be done ! pathetic response from the club>

They played in Perth, I suspect they didn't travel back until today...it's a five hour flight.

A response from the club I dare say will come tomorrow. I also suspect after that performance it's damage control central as far as media conferences go...

Well, either the gane plan is all wrong or the players aren't executing it properly. Either way, the Senior Coach is responsible.

Dean has always been very dead-pan and has never displayed any real passion. The result is that the team plays the same way.

It is obvious to me that he fails to inspire the players. If he can't change this he must go.

It's not a great response, but what else can he say?

Intensity should be non-negotiable. We shouldn't have to say, after a loss, that we need to lift our intensity.

Firstly TU..this is not a sling at you ...Its just those words are exactly the matter that needs addressing.

Bailey , in his directing of scorn at his charges is missing the point. The point is him. Those lads ought to be out there training there guts off every week. Its no good 'punishing' them as such, thats ridiculous. They arent 5 yo's ( just play like it ) . They need coaching. And Dean..this is where YOU are failing. Essendon is the example of the moment. Take X number of players.. Coiach them poorly, have no plan ( that works ) ..fail in teh structure dept and you have a recipe for failure. Take essentially same X players and apply a different tact , this being a composite of key personnel as well as an idea of how to use what you have, give them the right conditions and instructions and suddenly youre playing football. ANd playig it with meaning and passion.

So Dean..its not them...its you !!

DEES' DISMAL RECORD

■Only three inside-50s in the opening quarter against West Coast - the equal second-lowest tally recorded by any team in that term since 1999. The differential of 18 was the fifth-biggest ever record in any quarter.

■Out-tackled in all but one of their five games this season, averaging seven fewer per match compared to their opposition.

■Have won the clearance count in both their wins this season, however have recorded fewer clearances in both their losses and the draw.

■Ranked last for tackles inside the forward 50 between rounds 1-5 - averaging 11 per game, compared to Sydney which ranks No. 1 (Ave. 24).

■Conceded an average of 12 marks per match inside its defensive 50 between rounds one to five - the equal fourth most of any side.

SOURCE: Champion Data

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/for-lyon-demons-were-almost-too-bad-to-believe-20110429-1e0vx.html#ixzz1KyIV2zcm

As you can see from the above...we are nowhere near cutting the mustard. I could be quite surly and describe it otherwise.

Now ...who's job is it to instill a method and culture of play into a team ? Ans= The Coaches

Whos in charge of the Coaches ? Ans = Dean Bailey

Who's @rse is on the line ? Ans= Dean Bailey

The Buck stops somewhere and for mine it stops fairly and squarely with the person whos job it is to define the team, the way it plays and the furtiveness by which it does so.

So if we're talking Basics.... Id say he ( DB ) is basically @#$*ing it up !!!

DEES' DISMAL RECORD

■Only three inside-50s in the opening quarter against West Coast - the equal second-lowest tally recorded by any team in that term since 1999. The differential of 18 was the fifth-biggest ever record in any quarter.

■Out-tackled in all but one of their five games this season, averaging seven fewer per match compared to their opposition.

■Have won the clearance count in both their wins this season, however have recorded fewer clearances in both their losses and the draw.

■Ranked last for tackles inside the forward 50 between rounds 1-5 - averaging 11 per game, compared to Sydney which ranks No. 1 (Ave. 24).

■Conceded an average of 12 marks per match inside its defensive 50 between rounds one to five - the equal fourth most of any side.

SOURCE: Champion Data

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/for-lyon-demons-were-almost-too-bad-to-believe-20110429-1e0vx.html#ixzz1KyIV2zcm

As you can see from the above...we are nowhere near cutting the mustard. I could be quite surly and describe it otherwise.

Now ...who's job is it to instill a method and culture of play into a team ? Ans= The Coaches

Whos in charge of the Coaches ? Ans = Dean Bailey

Who's @rse is on the line ? Ans= Dean Bailey

The Buck stops somewhere and for mine it stops fairly and squarely with the person whos job it is to define the team, the way it plays and the furtiveness by which it does so.

So if we're talking Basics.... Id say he ( DB ) is basically @#$*ing it up !!!

One way to tell if the players will play for him , they will either come out this week & have a red hot crack and win or they will continue in the same vein, simple !

I understand everyone's criticisms of Bailey, but the fact is the team lacks a structure because of the lack of quality big men in the team. It's no wonder the team struggles to get it out of defence when there are few big marking targets to kick to. Imho, the problem is the list not the coach.

Surely..you structure according to what you DO have...not what you DONT.... That would be BASICS 101

Surely..you structure according to what you DO have...not what you DONT.... That would be BASICS 101

We've been over this for the last 3 years. DB has been trying to formulate a game plan that will win us a premiership. To that end, we spent the last few years playing in a way that was going to lose us games because we weren't good enough at what we were doing.

The problem now is whether or not that game plan is actually going to be successful. I doubt it, I think the game has moved on and we have been left behind.

We looked like shyte in the pre season comp and when I mentioned this the usual suspects shouted me down and said that only a fool would take notice of pre season matches; well now we're in the real season and the same shyte football is being played. Any of the guys thought it was ok to disregard pre season form still feel the same way?

We have gone backwards this year and other clubs have progressed, we have some good young kids but so do the other clubs. I'm sick to death of posters bringing up the stats about how we have less players between 188 and 194 and how we have more players that have played less than 50 games than our opposition. We are either good enough or we are not and no amount of b/shyte will hide that fact. We have recruited poorly we have not been able to bring players on as well as other clubs and we have too many soft players that leave the hard work to others.

Who is responsible for all of that; well the recruiters for picking the wrong types, the coaches for failing to extract the best out of what they have and the club for continuing to put up with the excuses of those they employ. We have a no [censored] policy and this means we miss out on top players that are slightly blemished and pick kids like Strauss that have impeccable backgrounds but can't play football.

Jimmy was just on 3AW before and he was spinning the situation and trying to talk for as long as he could so they couldn't ask him questions, very disappointing. There is a problem there and they were talking abut dissension between Schwab and Bailey which doesn't surprise me. They asked Jimmy if Bailey's position would be raised at the board meeting next week and Jimmy said no; it should.

We've been over this for the last 3 years. DB has been trying to formulate a game plan that will win us a premiership. To that end, we spent the last few years playing in a way that was going to lose us games because we weren't good enough at what we were doing.

The problem now is whether or not that game plan is actually going to be successful. I doubt it, I think the game has moved on and we have been left behind.

They were talking about this on 3AW before and the general consensus was we are trying to emulate the Geelong style a style that essentially only Geelong could play because, as they put it, they had so many pure footballers. We haven't got the cattle to play that style and are getting crushed by the other clubs who have moved on and are all playing a much more pressurised game.

Interesting to hear Cometti and Taylor talking about Melbourne and as they both said we have no physical presence on the field and that they are the least aggressive side in the competition. That sums it up we have few big bodied boys that want to get in there and make the opposition earn their kicks.

The only thing they didn't say was we are soft, but that's what they were implying.

We looked like shyte in the pre season comp and when I mentioned this the usual suspects shouted me down and said that only a fool would take notice of pre season matches; well now we're in the real season and the same shyte football is being played. Any of the guys thought it was ok to disregard pre season form still feel the same way?

We have gone backwards this year and other clubs have progressed, we have some good young kids but so do the other clubs. I'm sick to death of posters bringing up the stats about how we have less players between 188 and 194 and how we have more players that have played less than 50 games than our opposition. We are either good enough or we are not and no amount of b/shyte will hide that fact. We have recruited poorly we have not been able to bring players on as well as other clubs and we have too many soft players that leave the hard work to others.

Who is responsible for all of that; well the recruiters for picking the wrong types, the coaches for failing to extract the best out of what they have and the club for continuing to put up with the excuses of those they employ. We have a no [censored] policy and this means we miss out on top players that are slightly blemished and pick kids like Strauss that have impeccable backgrounds but can't play football.

Jimmy was just on 3AW before and he was spinning the situation and trying to talk for as long as he could so they couldn't ask him questions, very disappointing. There is a problem there and they were talking abut dissension between Schwab and Bailey which doesn't surprise me. They asked Jimmy if Bailey's position would be raised at the board meeting next week and Jimmy said no; it should.

I also queried at the start of the year and got the same sort of responses, its only preseason who cares, dont worry you wait to the real season mate she'll be right!.

Yep I can see is in the Final eight this year and if not a premiership the next year the year after is ours

We only have to worry about the new teams like The GCS and GWS

My god what planet do these people live on ???

I have had my doubts about Bailey since he was appointed as being a "good football coach", I didnt doubt his organisational skills but hes footy sense had to be yet proven.

But with everyone else wanting to give him a chance, I thought Ill just wait.

Last year at the start of the season I was livid again as to the way we started but they salvaged the season and give them their credit there was some great games and some close ones, especially were Collingwood where concerned. So I thought maybe I was wrong,maybe Bailey did have it in him and I just couldnt see it ?

As we all know Collingwood went on to win the Premiership and Melbourne was one of the few teams that could take it right up to them.

So I thought this season just maybe, Finally I would get to see my Beloved DEES play in the finals again, and I started to believe in the Hype not because of Facts but just because I want my team back up there so badly I was willing to clutch at any straw offered.

Now based on last Thursdays performence the truth hits home again,. Bailey is Shite, will never be any good as a FOOTBALL game day coach regardless of where we go from here. Or how the season ends up, even if by a miracle we managed to get to the ,finals it wont be because of Bailey, you can back on that.

So the Melbourne Football Club must start hunting and Mickmalthouse is the obvious candidate, dont forget when he leaves Collingwood it wont be because hes a Failure.

Can you imagine Mick after a performance like Thursday Night !! He'd be bursting a Blood Vessel! God help anyone who got in his way after a game like that,

and thats what this club needs a bit of Passion, Mongrel and good old downright Toughness a hunger for the ball, I believe Mick could install that in our players.

Edited by Demon Stalwart

sort of missing the point... if you aint got the ingredients you change the recipe. No point having a game plan without the people to implement it.

I also queried at the start of the year and got the same sort of responses, its only preseason who cares, dont worry you wait to the real season mate she'll be right!.

Yep I can see is in the Final eight this year and if not a premiership the next year the year after is ours

We only have to worry about the new teams like The GCS and GWS

My god what planet do these people live on ???

I have had my doubts about Bailey since he was appointed as being a "good football coach", I didnt doubt his organisational skills but hes footy sense had to be yet proven.

But with everyone else wanting to give him a chance, I thought Ill just wait.

Last year at the start of the season I was livid again as to the way we started but they salvaged the season and give them their credit there was some great games and some close ones, especially were Collingwood where concerned. So I thought maybe I was wrong,maybe Bailey did have it in him and I just couldnt see it ?

As we all know Collingwood went on to win the Premiership and Melbourne was one of the few teams that could take it right up to them.

So I thought this season just maybe, Finally I would get to see my Beloved DEES play in the finals again, and I started to believe in the Hype not because of Facts but just because I want my team back up there so badly I was willing to clutch at any straw offered.

Now based on last Thursdays performence the truth hits home again,. Bailey is Shite, will never be any good as a FOOTBALL game day coach regardless of where we go from here. Or how the season ends up, even if by a miracle we managed to get to the ,finals it wont be because of Bailey, you can back on that.

So the Melbourne Football Club must start hunting and Mickmalthouse is the obvious candidate, dont forget when he leaves Collingwood it wont be because hes a Failure.

Can you imagine Mick after a performance like Thursday Night !! He'd be bursting a Blood Vessel! God help anyone who got in his way after a game like that,

and thats what this club needs a bit of Passion, Mongrel and good old downright Toughness a hunger for the ball, I believe Mick could install that in our players.

My wife said to me after we appointed Bailey, we'd made a mistake, he won't be any good and my wife is never wrong even though I doubted her at the time. Never doubt your wife.

Edited by RobbieF

My wife said to me after we appointed Bailey, we'd made a mistake, he won't be any good and my wife is never wrong even though I doubted her at the time. Never doubt your wife.

wives are never wrong...ask them !! lol

sort of missing the point... if you aint got the ingredients you change the recipe. No point having a game plan without the people to implement it.

Nope, seems like you're the one missing the point.

The idea is to pick a game plan that will win you a premiership, then stick to it until you get there. It means short term pain for long term gain. We've seen it happening since DB came to the club. Otherwise you play one way for a year or two, then need a fundamental re-structuring of your players to win a flag.

The idea is to pick a game plan that will win you a premiership, then stick to it until you get there. It means short term pain for long term gain. We've seen it happening since DB came to the club. Otherwise you play one way for a year or two, then need a fundamental re-structuring of your players to win a flag.

What?? Your saying we have a game plan?? FFS tell me what it is because I can't see it.

But every other team can see it and its pretty easy to shut down. Tag Davey put pressure on Melbourne players and they'll crumble.

Disagree with that. A great club will have the ability to change with the transient nature of the game. We have already had the short term pain, and it looks like we have now got long term pain if the same course is not altered. That is no game plan for 2012 & beyond.

Haven't seen any game plans - nobody else can see it. We are a joke to most clubs. And if there is a game plan somewhere to be seeen, I highly doubt that it will get anywhere near a premiership.

Time for a changes, time for a hard progressive coach. Surely the board should meet and request Dean Bailey to attend and explain what he is trying to achieve. It is purely economical. If we keep going along this track, we will end up losing more financially then paying of a sacked coach and employing a new one.