The Cameron Bruce Debacle

Cranky Franky

I am generally very happy with the Club but it needs a kick up the rear over the Bruce saga.

We were told the deal was done just a matter of finalising a few minor details. Well the deal was not done & CB walked.

Surely you need to have your list finalised BEFORE the trading period & the draft. There should have been a deadline of signing on well before the draft & trading.

If this had been sorted MAYBE we would have got a small token for releasing CB or MAYBE we would have kept Cheney or MAYBE we would have kept on Junior as insurance for another year.

Sloppy work by the Club. If I did the same thing in my job I would get the sack.

I am generally very happy with the Club but it needs a kick up the rear over the Bruce saga.

We were told the deal was done just a matter of finalising a few minor details. Well the deal was not done & CB walked.

Surely you need to have your list finalised BEFORE the trading period & the draft. There should have been a deadline of signing on well before the draft & trading.

If this had been sorted MAYBE we would have got a small token for releasing CB or MAYBE we would have kept Cheney or MAYBE we would have kept on Junior as insurance for another year.

Sloppy work by the Club. If I did the same thing in my job I would get the sack.

And you're raising this now because....?

You are aware that this was done 4 or 5 months ago aren't you?

This has been done to death more than once.

Imagine if we're trying to put together a deal to keep Tom Scully or one of our other youngsters at the club next year and we're burdened by the $300k salary cap space Bruce is taking up whilst being washed up as a footballer.

Happy with the club's decision to offer him a year's contact.

I don't really know exactly what happened, last Year, except to say I'm happy with the outcome.

Except for Jnr Mc, going. I would still like to see him here this Yr.

But I guess thats a 50/50. We'd be stronger this year but it would have held back some kids, just a little.

This is being rehashed because today on SEN Russell Robertson said that Melbourne would more or less regret Bruce going as they needed someone down at half back. He said that Melbourne needed to go forward and he believed that they would but at the same time he was less than convincing.Still a little bit of sour grapes there.

I couldn't take another year of Bruce handballing to get himself out of trouble and then coming up at the end of the game with leading stats. Other teams are now talking about having to make the hard decisions about older players so that the younger brigade can get games into their legs. Thank goodness Bailey and FD had the guts to do that. I agree with Macca one more year would have been good. However if we had no injuries and all players ready to go who would have liked to see him having to be dropped to Casey after all the service he has given to the Club. That would have been a disaster. The only rotten thing which the Club has admitted to now is the way it was handled. The sooner he is bought back into the fold the better. What a great mentor he would be to Tom.

Did I fall into a time vortex and wake up back in 2010?

We are both in the same vortex i feel.

why am I doing this lets close it down

subject is done and dusted

Edited by old dee

Met Cheney at Christchurch airport and he admitted that he wanted a change.

You have no idea what you are talking about

Anyone who genuinely thinks that Bruce or Cheney (or Simon Buckley for that matter) would solve our issues of suspect disposal coming out of defence, they have ZERO clue. While Bruce is a good player and Cheney an honest trier, neither had good disposal. Also, longer term (even medium terms) there is no doubt that neither Bruce nor Cheney would be in the team by 2013.

What will improve our issue of disposal out of defence will be getting games into Tapscott, Strauss, Bennel, Blease, Bail and even Gysberts. These teenagers are our long term future and have genuine talent.

The only way to get games into these guys is by sifting out the dead wood, as harsh as that sounds. Personally, I have been happy with our list management the last 3 years.

What is the point of this thread??

Cameron was offered a contract he did not agree with. The Club stood it's ground. Cameron left.

What does timing have to do with it??

I would have been happy for Cam Bruce to play this year, but not at an inflated price. End of Story.

We will all get to see him in Round 2

Reads like a self-feeding troll, but I guess it is just a burst of that emotional disquiet resurfacing as the reality of taking the field whle a long-time player is in another team's colours.

Standing firm on Bruce's contract was the right call. How long would it be before he was either behind, or taking development away from, Morton and Gysberts for instance?

It's a shame we didn't get to upgrade a pick for him but that was the only failure in what, in the end, was just the 'cost of doing football'.

On the bright side, anyone remember back when the club 'failed' to trade Brad Green for Lance Whitnall all those years ago.

(That has nothing to do with anything, jut feels good to remember)

or MAYBE we would have kept on Junior as insurance for another year.

Sloppy work by the Club.

The calls go out to Cam Bruce, fair enough. But the Poster does refer to JNR. I have watched over the games of 2010, and he still would have had a major role in this side.

So the OP has a valid point, even if it has been talked about.. No disrespect to Green. Full disrespect to the replies!

Why would we want to keep Cheney? Our great Achilles' heal at he moment is our disposal out of defence, and believe me he would only make the problem worse.

What is the point of this thread??

Cameron was offered a contract he did not agree with. The Club stood it's ground. Cameron left.

What does timing have to do with it??

I would have been happy for Cam Bruce to play this year, but not at an inflated price. End of Story.

We will all get to see him in Round 2

We will all get to give it to him him in Round 2!!!

HaHaHa, 3 cheers.

We will all get to give it to him him in Round 2!!!

HaHaHa, 3 cheers.

Well yes, that goes without saying-He did walk.

I want the MCC Reserve to get stuck in during Round 2!!!!

I remember when Brian Wilson gave us the "Bird"!! It was a classic-although it did pi$$ me off at the time.

A few people, especially the OP, channelling Brick Tamland in this thread: "I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!"

Edited by e25

Well said cranky. We'll see how our youth policy works without Junior and Cameron. We could have had both this season if not for the so called 'youth policy'. Successful clubs manage to combine youth and experience. We are lacking badly in the latter. Time will tell.