Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts

Steamin Demon

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difference between the two? Hurley chases the footy and possesses more hunger.

No questioning Watts' talent, kicking for goal, ability to use the ball.

Hurley has a bit more bulk on his frame.

He's also older and didn't spend his first year at school doing VCE instead of playing & training.

who cares about hurley?

I'm interested to track the development of Watts Vrs Cook, seem like similar type of players and importantly both play for the MFC!

Even then it would be folly to do so.

Watts and Cook are not as alike as you might think.

Besides them both having elite kicking skills, being tall KPFs and having shown promise overhead...

One was drafted as a bottom age draftee, spent his first year at high school instead of being a full-time footy player, developed in juniors playing mostly school footy against kids and is exceptionally quick and agile albeit with a light frame.

The other has played mostly TAC cup developing in juniors, even played in the VFL against men, acquitting himself impressively, is now a full-time footballer already in his first season, and is more strongly built, although not exceptionally fast or agile.

The differences are stark.

Watts & NiccNat are just further examples of clubs wrongly rating pure athletic ability ahead of football ability/instinct. Draft history is littered with it.

Hurley was considered an early number 1 pick, but concerns about his knees from memory dropped him down the order. He's turning out to be a great player. I'd still take Watts over him. Watts is a much better kick, and more athletic and agile. He needs to toughen up and work on his contested marking. Still only 19, patience is a virtue.....:D

Also, I've only been active on Demonland for around 6-7 months, but is it possible to retain this thread is some way, so that in 2 years time when Watts is fully developed and killing it we can bring this back out and laugh at some of the ridiculous comments people have made on here?

Besides them both having elite kicking skills, being tall KPFs and having shown promise overhead...

One was drafted as a bottom age draftee, spent his first year at high school instead of being a full-time footy player, developed in juniors playing mostly school footy against kids and is exceptionally quick and agile albeit with a light frame.

The other has played mostly TAC cup developing in juniors, even played in the VFL against men, acquitting himself impressively, is now a full-time footballer already in his first season, and is more strongly built, although not exceptionally fast or agile.

Keyser for a person on page one that stated it was a horrible terrible thread why are you still posting ???

Also, I've only been active on Demonland for around 6-7 months, but is it possible to retain this thread is some way, so that in 2 years time when Watts is fully developed and killing it we can bring this back out and laugh at some of the ridiculous comments people have made on here?

Sure is possible. The other bigger Watts thread will be another.

Keyser for a person on page one that stated it was a horrible terrible thread why are you still posting ???

The very premise of the thread is idiotic, but certain people have since made comments worth acknowledging.

None by you.

Fair point, although im still interested to see who cook has to compete for positions in the 18 with? My guts feel is that it would probably be Watts unless they resign themselves to watts being more of a half forward flanker / wingman for the next few years? ie Cook was drafted as back up for Watts not being the clubs next power forward?

Guys I am not a Watts fan but how about we lay off him till March 27th at about 5 PM!

According to some he has already been omitted from round 1, so this may be a little tough..

Even then I would not judge him on his first real AFL game for 2011. :)

According to some he has already been omitted from round 1, so this may be a little tough..

Even then I would not judge him on his first real AFL game for 2011. :)

Then after 11 pm on April 2nd!

I just typed a smart reply then realised I was continuing the theme!

So that is it for me

It was fine, I know what you meant.

But others are very literal and will get on here at the time you suggested and claim that X player hasn't developed at all in 2010 after 4% of the season has concluded.

This is where I am not so quick to judge Watts harshly as you are.

Hurley was over 90kg when he debuted in his first season. He is now nudging 100kg.

Watts (4cm taller), was less than 80kg when he debuted and he recently said that he's hoping to play around 88kg this season. a 196cm key forward should be playing at least at 95+kg.

And not just playing weight. Hurley was much further physically developed when he debuted. He had muscle definition, was thick through the core. Watts looked like a little school kid when he debuted.

It is plainly obvious that Hurley came into the afl pretty much ready made.

Watts was ALWAYS going to need at least 2-3 seasons to catch up in development.

In my humble opinion, in 3-4 years time Watts will be a much more damaging and a better player than Hurley (who i rate highly)

Hurley has a bit more bulk on his frame.

He's also older and didn't spend his first year at school doing VCE instead of playing & training.

I'm with you both but just wanted to add a one more thing. Player's attributes.

Every player is drafted according to their natural attributes and teams decide which attributes they would like most

to improve their side. Some players have more strings to their bow but are not particularly strong at a concentrated group of attributes. Other's are strong at a concentrated group and other's are remarkable at one or two.

Tall KPP's with a natural hunger for contested ball, (see ball get ball attitude) are always going to stand out in their first few years of AFL football compared to a silky skilled, highly agile and quick player who has never had a natural hunger for the contested ball.

Hurley has shown that this is clearly one of his major strengths/attributes. He is an aggressive player who naturally demands the ball and loves to get in and amongst the thick of it.

Watts on the other hand, hasn't shown that this is one of his strengths/attributes but that is not AT ALL to say that he can't or won't improve in this area. Watts' to this stage has shown that his strengths are his agility, speed, ball handling, vision and kicking skills.

If we were to compare Watts and Hurley at this stage (which for some reason people are doing), we would probably find that Hurley would be the better and stronger in one on one contests. But Watts would pants him in a kicking to leads contest, foot race, agility test and arguably a goal kicking test.

With every game Watts plays and with every 'kg' he puts on he will become more and more confident,aggressive and hungry for the contested ball. I have no doubt he will get there. If you see him in huddles/listening to instructions during matches he is always nodding his head and is concentrating intensely. The kid wants learn and get the best out of himself.

Please can we put this to bed for at least 3 more years. If he has not improved at that point in time and Hurley is winning brownlows and colemans left right and centre, please feel free to shoot me down.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

It was fine, I know what you meant.

But others are very literal and will get on here at the time you suggested and claim that X player hasn't developed at all in 2010 after 4% of the season has concluded.

some people might actually watch Jack Watts play football in round 1 and then come here to discuss that player based on what they have ACTUALLY SEEN

Not at all.

We would want to have more than one tall KPF in our forward line if at all possible.

It is not a 'one or the other' proposition.

i understand that they'll play in the same team when they are both mature settled players, but in the mean time Im guessing the forward line will include the likes of Jurrah, Dunn, Green& Petterd, throw maric, JB, Wona and maybe Bate into the mix and you've got competition for spots. If Watts isnt showing as much as Cook i see the most likley scenario as a direct swap

some people might actually watch Jack Watts play football in round 1 and then come here to discuss that player based on what they have ACTUALLY SEEN

Yes, in ONE game.

Played by a 19 year old.

Do you recall what supporters said of Frawley or Garland back in 07/08..?

Give the kid time FFS.

It doesn't matter what you see because he's still bloody developing!

Why is that so hard to understand?

Stupidity? Impatience? Denial?

What is it?!

Yes, in ONE game.

Played by a 19 year old.

Do you recall what supporters said of Frawley or Garland back in 07/08..?

Give the kid time FFS.

It doesn't matter what you see because he's still bloody developing!

Why is that so hard to understand?

Stupidity? Impatience? Denial?

What is it?!

I'm sure plenty of people had lots of excuses and 'patience please' for Brad Miller, who went on to kick truckloads of goals for the club :mellow:

Daniher had him pencilled in at CHF for our premiership side

It took us 8 years and 133 games to finally give up on him, by which time another era had passed us by

You're suggesting it is ME that's in denial?