Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TROY BROADBRIDGE DAY

Demonland

Troy Broadbridge spent six years at the Melbourne Football Club. He started as a rookie, worked his way onto the senior squad and by the end of his sixth season, he was on the brink of a promising career. His personal life was blossoming and he married Trish just before Christmas 2004 and they left for their honeymoon on an idyllic island in Thailand.

Tomorrow will mark the passing of another six years since he died, a victim of the tsunami that rocked the lands bordering on the Indian Ocean and killed hundreds of thousands.

We ask Demonlanders to pass their respects to Troy on this day. Unless it's big news we prefer that new threads are not opened in this section except those in honour of Troy.

Whispering Jack wrote this tribute to Troy after his funeral:-

OUT OF THE SHADOWS - A TRIBUTE TO BROADY by Whispering Jack

It's early morning and a honeymoon couple strolls along the beach. The wind stops. The waters thud over the shoreline and, in an instant, the waves cast giant shadows on the sand as it suddenly disappears below them. The tiny droplet of time left is barely enough for him to guide her to the relative safety of a balcony before the tide turns again. The roar of the ocean has become a shrill scream that echoes across the Bay of Bengal and beyond leaving tragedy and death in its wake. He is one of the many who are lost to us forever …

Troy and Trisha Broadbridge were on their honeymoon in the Thai resort of Phi Phi Island when the Indian Ocean tsunami struck on Boxing Day 2004. A little over a week earlier they were married and a few days before that Troy had wound up an intensive pre-season training period with his teammates at the Melbourne Football Club. He had just completed his best season since coming to club as a rookie-listed player in 1999. After six years as a Demon, Troy's career and his life were just starting to take shape.

A little over a month after the wedding Trish is repeating the vows she declared on their wedding day. As the mourners stand teary eyed in the shadows of a packed St James' Catholic Church in Gardenvale she recites them softly.

"Troy, you are my best friend. I promise I'm going to love you no matter what happens, I will always stand by you like you have stood by me. I love you so much because of everything you've done for me, for the person that you are, for the heart that you have."

For my part, I remember meeting Broady for the first time when he worked behind the bar at The Bentleigh Club in his first year as a rookie. He was friendly but appeared shy. Former Melbourne Football Manager Danny Corcoran had been confident from the beginning that he would blossom as player and was delighted to snaffle the services of the red headed youngster from South Australia. The pedigree was good (his father Wayne, was a star player with Port Adelaide), he was tall, fast, athletic and willing to learn. In time, he would recover from the serious injuries that were dogging his career and more lately he was overcoming the doubts he seemed to have in his own ability. They said that Troy Broadbridge was in awe of the fact that he played the game as some of footy's heroes and that he never saw himself at their level but by the end of 2004 Troy Broadbridge was moving out of the shadows.

Troy played most of his first season with the Melbourne reserves and was beset by shoulder problems in his rookie year. He came back through the Sandringham reserves and played in the Zebras 2000 winning grand final side in the last football match played at VFL Park. After gaining promotion to the senior list, he made his AFL debut in 2001 when the Demons went down to Essendon by a solitary goal in round 8. He snagged a major with his first kick in the red and blue.

Then followed a serious knee injury in 2002 and more shoulder problems in 2003 but Broady came back to play regularly for Melbourne and his 40th and last AFL game, also against the Bombers in the 2004 Elimination Final, was among his best. Eligible for the VFL finals, Troy went on to star in the Zebra defence a fortnight later in his second premiership with Sandringham.

Now we are going through a difficult process of overcoming the grief. The process involves accepting the reality of the loss, working through to the pain of grief and adjusting to an environment in which he is no longer there. After that, we move on with life but always remember that his spirit lives on.

Melbourne Chairman Paul Gardner summed up the feeling of many of the 700 who attended the funeral -

"Today, we farewelled our friend Troy Broadbridge. Sadly, these ceremonies are occurring all around the world. It is our great hope that generosity of spirit that has been shown regardless of creed and colour and race and religion will continue on and some of the lives have not been lost in vain," he said.

"The Broadbridges and Trisha have been consoled by their family, their friends and their faith, and now it is time for the Melbourne Football Club to move on.

"It's time for the club to show the confidence, the ambition, the factors Troy had as a footballer. I want to thank everybody for their support. It's been overwhelming. I urge every Melbourne supporter to get behind the club right now, to encourage the players and make 2005 the best it can possibly be."

Former Demon champion and good friend Jim Stynes said of Broady -

"Troy had a huge leap, he could take a great mark, he ran like a greyhound, he could match up on talls or smalls. He was quietly confident, with a wicked sense of humour. But above all, he was the most selfless footballer to play at Melbourne that I can remember..."

"Some will remember the way he died, but I'll remember the way he lived, the way he played, and most of all the way he loved."

Still, you can't forget the way Troy died. A guiding principle of one of the world's ancient religions says that he who fulfills his duty to save a life is considered as if he has saved the entire world. Broady's fateful last moments embodied exactly that. When he pushed his beloved wife Trisha out of the shadows of death and to safety, he demonstrated for all time that he was more than the equal of any of the heroes he played with and against in his short career. Troy Broadbridge will always be remembered in life and in death as a champion person and a true hero.

From a purely footballing perspective , his loss was massive to the club .

Was destined to be the rock in defence that Daniher could never replace IMO .

RIP

My mates and I called him 'Strawbs' and he was a very good footy player, and from all accounts, and the way he died, an amazing person.

I'm very proud of him and I don't know him at all.

I don't know how to finish that thought.

My mates and I called him 'Strawbs' and he was a very good footy player, and from all accounts, and the way he died, an amazing person.

I'm very proud of him and I don't know him at all.

I don't know how to finish that thought.

You are not meant to, i feel the same way....

I recollect Troys first and sadly what was to be his last games. Although I hadn't personally met him, as a footballer on each of those occasions he left me with a positive feeling about his ability and as a person.

Definitely not forgotten.

I know that a number of Demon supporters have visited Phi Phi Island and seen the memorial and the facilities built in Troy's honour. If you can describe these or have photos please feel free to post about them. I've heard a lot about them in the past and peoples' recollections of Troy and of the education centre at Phi Phi would be appreciated.

I never met Troy, but I remember shedding tears when he was tragically robbed of the best part of his life, and a very promising football career in the red & blue.

Former Melbourne Football Club Chairman, Paul Gardner, wrote the following in the 2005 edition of the MELBOURNEfc Magazine:

"On 26 December 2004, the world stood in shock at the devastation and despair caused by a tsunami, and back home we faced a personal realisation that one of our own would not return. The loss of Troy Broadbridge, a young man cut down in his prime, gave us all call to evaluate our own life, to put football into true perspective, and to focus on those things that really make a difference. Troy became an enduring reference point for Melbourne, and a reference point for the Club.

To honour the life of Troy, Round One against Essendon indelibly left its mark on the two teams walking side by side onto the ground to the sound of Youll Never Walk Alone, the symbolic releasing of balloons, and a shared minutes silence with Trish and the players. Members, supporters and friends of the Club came to the game to pay their respects and farewell a loyal team man with Trisha, the Broadbridge family and the players.

That pre-match tribute to Troy is one of the most moving experiences in my life.

RIP Broady.

Edited by Deeoldfart

And we must not forget the way Trish has handled herself with so much dignity and grace- then and ongoing..Troy would be very proud of her. RIP Troy.

Edited by jayceebee31

The Demon's win against Essendon round one 2005 was one of the best testaments you can make to a team-mate.

It was a very moving tribute to Troy as vision of the tsunami was played on the big screens and Trisha spoke her eulogy before the game.

Both teams united for the walk-on, the captains walked through the banner together.

Then it was game on. And what a win it was.

(If you want a copy it's still (probably) available through the AFL Name a Game series.

There was a big crowd and it's moments like that that makes you proud to be a Demon.

Vale Troy. Lost way too young.

The Demon's win against Essendon round one 2005 was one of the best testaments you can make to a team-mate.

It was a very moving tribute to Troy as vision of the tsunami was played on the big screens and Trisha spoke her eulogy before the game.

Both teams united for the walk-on, the captains walked through the banner together.

Then it was game on. And what a win it was.

(If you want a copy it's still (probably) available through the AFL Name a Game series.

There was a big crowd and it's moments like that that makes you proud to be a Demon.

Vale Troy. Lost way too young.

I remember vividly the sky was a deep red above the MCG that night. Very Surreal. Broady was watching as was Paul Hester who had just left us that week.

A night i shall never forget.