Membership

kallioota

just wondering if any one else has had the same thing happen to them.

l got a family member ship for myself my wife and four kids and paying for it with monthly payments from my bank.

l was told thats their is a ten dollar start up fee which was fine.

but after l decide to have add ons for 3 of my kids l was hit with 4 x start up fee of $10.

one for the family membership and one for each kid even that its all out the same bank account.

after l rang the club to say that their had been a mistake they said it has always been this way.

but l have never seen this before with my account.

just very surprised to see an extra $30 taken and the fact its not any where in the membership form only the fact that it will have a $10 start up fee.

do you know anything about this ?

I think because it cost's more for them to process it with the banks. You may have got a better deal if oyu paid up front instead of the payment plan.

Easier said than done when you have 4 kids.

Paying memberships upfront isn't an option for some.

I have a family membership with only 2 kids and the upfront option ain't a choice for us.

The other benefit of us paying it monthly is that we don't have to renew it each year. Just keeps rolling over!

Gippy

l got a family member ship for myself my wife and four kids and paying for it with monthly payments from my bank.

but after l decide to have add ons for 3 of my kids l was hit with 4 x start up fee of $10.

one for the family membership and one for each kid even that its all out the same bank account.

after l rang the club to say that their had been a mistake they said it has always been this way.

just very surprised to see an extra $30 taken and the fact its not any where in the membership form only the fact that it will have a $10 start up fee.

I think you have a fair complaint. You are paying one membership fee being the family one. That should only be one start up fee as it is only one fee being paid, you are not paying four different fees. It would be different if you took four separate memberships as each would have the start up fee, but only if being paid by different people. This should be a fee for the start up of the account that is used to pay, not for the number of members. I would take it up again with the club and speak to someone in finance and get it sorted out. IMO that is grossly unfair.

Use the example of if you owned a company and took out 100 memberships for your staff but you were paying the lot on instalments, would they charge you 100 times $10 being $1000, of course they wouldn't as only one payment is being made from one account each quarter.

I think you'll find the system processes each payment individually and not as a family. It may not have a way of knowing that the memberships are being paid together. Maybe it's a flaw (intended or not) in the payment system. Do you pay one payment for the family membership or pay an individual price for each? If you are paying for each then I think that is why.

Have 2 kids and bought my first house less than a year ago and have copped 6 interest rate rises since, so I feel your pain brother!! There are some situations that a computer never accounts for. Hopefully the club come to the party and makes it right in the future. Common sense should prevail here. Contact the club's membership manager, every time I've dealt with the club they've been excellent with thier responses. Just need to be persistent and speak with the right person. If not, I'll spot you 10 bucks, it's going to a good cause!

Edited by Demon Tragic

I thought the fee was charged only if it comes out of an ATM account. If the monthly instalment is coming out of a credit card they don't charge the $10 fee (though I could be wrong - may want to check the Demons website or contact the club and ask them about this.).

I just checked the website and it says the fee only applies for direct debit from your cheque or savings account. If you pay by credit card you don't get hit with the $10 admin fee.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Membership/DemonsDirect/tabid/13327/Default.aspx

Surely there should be one fee per membership. I can imagine there could be a 'flaw in the system', but if this is the case it should be addressed. Even if they can't get the problem fixed in terms of changing whatever system they use, the Club could refund the $30. It makes sense to keep people happy. Kids are the people we most want to ensure are engaged with the Club, since they're a potential revenue stream for life.

Surely there should be one fee per membership. I can imagine there could be a 'flaw in the system', but if this is the case it should be addressed. Even if they can't get the problem fixed in terms of changing whatever system they use, the Club could refund the $30. It makes sense to keep people happy. Kids are the people we most want to ensure are engaged with the Club, since they're a potential revenue stream for life.

Just pay via credit card rather than debit card. Problem solved.

If it makes you feel any better, i got a family membership with my 4 kids in feb and their membership packs arrived in the mail just after round 21........yes round 21.

Just pay via credit card rather than debit card. Problem solved.

I personally don't have a problem - this issue doesn't impact on me.

(Sadly the problem isn't actually solved by your workaround anyway, but thanks for the contribution to this thread. A+. Will read again.).

Can I put some good news about the membership department on here?

Firstly, I pay by installments and pay for my members, fathers membership and offcourse a pet membership and do not get slugged the $10 fee.

Secondly, I get married in Feb and have been dragging the mrs away from the dons for the last 6 years and decided as a gift to her on the wedding day I will get a melb membership delivered with flowers. When I spoke to the girl in the membership department she said they were happy to send a card with the membership basically congratulating her on the wedding and welcoming her to the Melbourne Family. I think this is a great gift idea (biased) but very please the club is willing to help out!