Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NFL

Dappa Dan

From my perspective I think the choking tag is more around the fact the Packers continually make the playoffs but can never get through the to SB. Every year you can put them down for divisional round or conference championship but they can never seem to go the next step or two & with a QB like Rodgers at the helm I think many people expect more from them.

* Yes my side blew a 28-3 lead in a SB & no I will never get over it... That was one of the greatest chokes in sporting history. 

2 minutes ago, JV7 said:

From my perspective I think the choking tag is more around the fact the Packers continually make the playoffs but can never get through the to SB. Every year you can put them down for divisional round or conference championship but they can never seem to go the next step or two & with a QB like Rodgers at the helm I think many people expect more from them.

* Yes my side blew a 28-3 lead in a SB & no I will never get over it... That was one of the greatest chokes in sporting history. 

There's an old saying that still rings true ... A Champion Team will beat a Team of Champions

We see the Patriots as a champion team but the Packers?  No way

And the Packers aren't a Team of Champions either  ... more so a team with a too-heavy reliance on one player (Rodgers) with a few other 'bit' players

I don't know why that sort of analysis isn't widespread to all and sundry ... to me, the issues with Green Bay are quite obvious

But such is the nature of competitiveness between supporter groups, jibes like chokers (and suchlike) are freely thrown about ... and others talk through their hip pocket

It's lazy analysis and dumb analysis

Without Rodgers, Green Bay would be lucky to win 4 or 5 games.  And you take Brady out of the Patriots and the Pats break even straight after and then make the playoffs the year after

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JV7 said:

*Yes my side blew a 28-3 lead in a SB & no I will never get over it... That was one of the greatest chokes in sporting history. 

At the time I remarked that I would split it 60/40 on the great play (Pats) vs Atlanta not performing up to scratch in crunch time

5 years have passed and my clear memory of the match was how good Tom Brady was in the 2nd half.  The greatest 2nd half from a QB I've ever witnessed

So my initial thoughts haven't wavered but there's no denying giving up a 28-3 lead is difficult to explain away

The big question with Atlanta is why they haven't rebounded.  They promised so much but we haven't seen much from them

7 hours ago, Macca said:

At the time I remarked that I would split it 60/40 on the great play (Pats) vs Atlanta not performing up to scratch in crunch time

5 years have passed and my clear memory of the match was how good Tom Brady was in the 2nd half.  The greatest 2nd half from a QB I've ever witnessed

So my initial thoughts haven't wavered but there's no denying giving up a 28-3 lead is difficult to explain away

The big question with Atlanta is why they haven't rebounded.  They promised so much but we haven't seen much from them

Agreed Brady was phenomenal in that 2nd half, the Atlanta defence that year was average, the offense run by Shanahan papered over the cracks, they had no way of stopping Brady. 

The thing that eats away at me is we could have taken a knee at the absolute worst, kicked a FG & would be SB champs instead Shanahan decides to throw the ball cop a sack & then a holding penalty on 3rd & forever. The irony in watching his run game in situations like yesterday frustrate the [censored] out of me, I guess he lived & learnt. 

The offense has never really reached great heights since then, the lose of Shanahan was huge & they just haven't seemed to be able to click again. The defence is starting to rebuild but we missed our boat, it's time to start preparing post Matt Ryan imo.

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Macca said:

You're in the NFC Championship game and anything can happen from here on in ... today the game at Lambeau was turned on its head with a blocked punt. 

If that hand goes up 15 centimetres to the left or right the conversation may well be a lot different now

That's the sport sometimes but the 49ers were the better team today anyway.  Packers had their chances and didn't execute

As for Jimmy, you could win 2 more games without him being a big factor but I thought his 2nd half today was quite good anyway

But your defence is the key ... you've now gone on the road twice and beaten Dallas & Green Bay with a stellar, superior defence in both games

And defence wins championships! 

Demons won in 2021 with the best defence in the league ... 3 years earlier our defence was led up by Oscar & Frosty

The 49ers are in with a show

Tampa or Rams?  Which team do you prefer to play? 

Pretty tough to say really. Playing the Rams in the title game is like us having to come up aginst the Cats for the 3rd time ofthe year in the Prelim. But in this case I'm a bit of a sucker for the more you play someone and beat them consecutively the more the other team could knock you off. Good to see the years of MFCSS have filtered over into other sports. 

On the other hand, Bucs and Brady. Would be a cool narrative to see him and Jimmy go head to head. But if you were drawing opposition QBs to platy in this game out of a hat Brady would be the short straw surely?

Edge to wanting to play the Rams but only for a game in Cal and familiarity. 

PS: Watching the ganme later but I did see Rams staerted well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JV7 said:

The thing that eats away at me is we could have taken a knee at the absolute worst, kicked a FG & would be SB champs instead Shanahan decides to throw the ball cop a sack & then a holding penalty on 3rd & forever. The irony in watching his run game in situations like yesterday frustrate the [censored] out of me, I guess he lived & learnt. 

To an extent yes, but I still see the same occasional boneheaded Kyle come out to play. Even yesterday some of his calls for horrendous. Throwing on 1st down multiple times when we weren't getting diddly squat in the air. st was to persist with the running game, even if it was just 3 rards and a cloud of dust type stuff. No-one is scared of Jimmy throwing the football at the moment and it seems the only throws he's capable of are over the middle to Kittle or Samuel running slants or post routes. Then there's the genius of decidng to have our left tackle run motion on a 4th and 1 because, you know, it worked so well against the Cowboiys last week. The Packers D did a really good job of stopping that but we really telegraphed it.

Have a lot of respect for Kyle Shanahan and he's a great mind. He's gotta be right up there when it comes to drawing up all sorts of running plays but to be honest it's because of that ability that I kind of expect a certain level of success in the running game. Sometimes it feels like he's either holding back or doing god knows what. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, layzie said:

To an extent yes, but I still see the same occasional boneheaded Kyle come out to play. Even yesterday some of his calls for horrendous. Throwing on 1st down multiple times when we weren't getting diddly squat in the air. st was to persist with the running game, even if it was just 3 rards and a cloud of dust type stuff. No-one is scared of Jimmy throwing the football at the moment and it seems the only throws he's capable of are over the middle to Kittle or Samuel running slants or post routes. Then there's the genius of decidng to have our left tackle run motion on a 4th and 1 because, you know, it worked so well against the Cowboiys last week. The Packers D did a really good job of stopping that but we really telegraphed it.

Have a lot of respect for Kyle Shanahan and he's a great mind. He's gotta be right up there when it comes to drawing up all sorts of running plays but to be honest it's because of that ability that I kind of expect a certain level of success in the running game. Sometimes it feels like he's either holding back or doing god knows what. 

Very true, I feel sometimes he outsmarts himself or can be a bit overzealous with his play calling... I was a big fan of his time in Atlanta, the offense that year was unreal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JV7 said:

Agreed Brady was phenomenal in that 2nd half, the Atlanta defence that year was average, the offense run by Shanahan papered over the cracks, they had no way of stopping Brady. 

The offense has never really reached great heights since then, the lose of Shanahan was huge & they just haven't seemed to be able to click again. The defence is starting to rebuild but we missed our boat, it's time to start preparing post Matt Ryan imo.

So the coaching has been the issue post Shanahan?  That makes sense

Same deal with the Packers ... McCarthy just planned around Rodger's brilliance and LaFleur is following suit.  But that doesn't work

As good as Rodgers is, it's a team game and great 'teams' win big

Green Bay's issues are structural and systems based

One example is our running game ... Jones is too small to power through against good teams in critical moments.  And Dillon is average

And in previous years, our running game has been far worse

So it all gets back to Rodgers again.  And we telegraph our intentions

So the Packers are obviously good enough (with Rodgers at the helm) to make the playoffs (from a weak division) but get found out in the playoffs

And I'm not making excuses either .... on the contrary, my analysis is highly critical of how the Packers go about it

4 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Akers running in the middle with only one hand on the ball. Amateur hour.

About to choke hard. This game should have been sealed at the half.

There's that word again (choke) but this time it's more apt! haha

Shades of the Falcons/Pats SB scoreline ... with Brady as the conduit again

4 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

We have beaten ourselves. It’s been all mistakes on offence. And easy mistakes to fix.

Kupp comes to the rescue ... Stafford hit him twice so credit where it's due

But hell, you nearly gave the game back to them

• Like 1

Kupp is next level. Yes he fumbled today but he also saved our [censored].

Offence made some bad fumbles, Akers has to cover that ball in the last. Gay was short from 47, commentators said he hurt himself pre game, clean up those fumbles and I’m not shaking and about to vomit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BDA said:

that was crazy

So did the Rams choke (but still win)?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stein9193 said:

They definitely choked

How about the Rams today?

Was that a choke even though they won?

Thoughts on the game (from a biased Rams eye)

Oline, massive! Buccs Dline is great, we protected Stafford all game. Even got more out of the running game than I expected.

Stafford was great, threw very well and stepped up to make big plays.

All receivers played well, Kupp fumbles, but won the game on those last two plays.

RB’s Akers was good be that Dline, the first fumble hurt but landing on your head prob hurt more, that last one tho is inexcusable. No idea why McVay didn’t use Michel more, bigger back might have  helped and we did get some good runs bouncing it out so surprised there wasn’t more of those calls.

Dline was very good all game, had Brady under pressure all game. Secondary was solid, Ramsey got sliced once badly but be Brady and Buccs that will happen.

Special teams other than the missed FG was very good. Hekker punted well, we chased the punts down well, Powell returned very good. 

Over all, I was confident coming in. Our mistakes nearly cost us, but we should take solace in the fact that if we clean those up this game is different.

3 minutes ago, BDA said:

Almost but not a choke if you win

Rams have Stafford and Kupp to thank. Phenomenal throw and reception in the circumstances

Really? 

Gorg just said that his own team choked a few posts back (and he's a Rams fan)

You're wrong.  A team can choke and still hang on and win

By the way, you said that the Packers massively choked.  As did the Titans according to your logic

Compared to the Rams today, both teams are a long way behind in the choke stakes

39 minutes ago, Macca said:

So the coaching has been the issue post Shanahan?  That makes sense

Same deal with the Packers ... McCarthy just planned around Rodger's brilliance and LaFleur is following suit.  But that doesn't work

As good as Rodgers is, it's a team game and great 'teams' win big

Green Bay's issues are structural and systems based

One example is our running game ... Jones is too small to power through against good teams in critical moments.  And Dillon is average

And in previous years, our running game has been far worse

So it all gets back to Rodgers again.  And we telegraph our intentions

So the Packers are obviously good enough (with Rodgers at the helm) to make the playoffs (from a weak division) but get found out in the playoffs

And I'm not making excuses either .... on the contrary, my analysis is highly critical of how the Packers go about it

Definitely, Dan Quinn was fired midway through last year & Arthur Smith has taken over with the 7-9 record first year not too bad but they weren't overly impressive this year.

Interesting with GB, like you said earlier it's lazy that people just expect that because of Rodgers the Packers should be playing off jn SB's every year. You've always stated the issues with the Packers which Rodgers covers up with his talent alone. 

29 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Thoughts on the game (from a biased Rams eye)

Oline, massive! Buccs Dline is great, we protected Stafford all game. Even got more out of the running game than I expected.

Stafford was great, threw very well and stepped up to make big plays.

All receivers played well, Kupp fumbles, but won the game on those last two plays.

RB’s Akers was good be that Dline, the first fumble hurt but landing on your head prob hurt more, that last one tho is inexcusable. No idea why McVay didn’t use Michel more, bigger back might have  helped and we did get some good runs bouncing it out so surprised there wasn’t more of those calls.

Dline was very good all game, had Brady under pressure all game. Secondary was solid, Ramsey got sliced once badly but be Brady and Buccs that will happen.

Special teams other than the missed FG was very good. Hekker punted well, we chased the punts down well, Powell returned very good. 

Over all, I was confident coming in. Our mistakes nearly cost us, but we should take solace in the fact that if we clean those up this game is different.

There's often a very fine line between winning and losing

In the end, you got lucky but you very nearly blew it

But hey, winners are grinners Gorg and you won the game.  49ers next week will be very interesting

Can they handle your defence and can you handle their defence?

We could see some turnovers on offense for both teams.  That's been the pattern this weekend and we may get more of the same

Edited by Macca

Just now, Macca said:

Really? 

Gorg just said that his own team choked a few posts back (and he's a Rams fan)

You're wrong.  A team can choke and still hang on and win

By the way, you said that the Packers massively choked.  As did the Titans according to your logic

Compared to the Rams today, both teams are a long way behind in the choke stakes

I tell you what Macca. You can have your thread back. Cherrio

• Sad 1