Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Jack Darling Thread

MrReims

Jack Darling is currently in hospital following an attack last Sunday night-refer to http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101835/default.aspx for full information.He suffered bruising to his brain and a fracture to his skull after being attacked leaving a Subiaco hotel.

That's a shame and i hope the kid makes a full and speedy recovery. It does take two to tango and i wouldn't be at all surprised if he had some form of verbal or physical stoush prior to getting hit. Still very low act by the perpetrator.

Personally, i just don't see him as big enough for what we want or need. We have plenty of lead-up type of players. I'd be looking at taller options.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Darling is currently in hospital following an attack last Sunday night-refer to http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101835/default.aspx for full information.He suffered bruising to his brain and a fracture to his skull after being attacked leaving a Subiaco hotel.

i think i will pass on this kid, just seems like trouble to me

• 4 weeks later...

Darling to still participate at the Draft Combine.

Looks like it hasn't taken too much out of him / he's a tough bastard.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/injury-wont-keep-darling-from-draft-camp-20100927-15u33.html

Will be interesting to see how he goes with his results.

If he finishes highly in any of the tests it can only be a good sign for him.

Darling to still participate at the Draft Combine.

Looks like it hasn't taken too much out of him / he's a tough bastard.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/injury-wont-keep-darling-from-draft-camp-20100927-15u33.html

Will be interesting to see how he goes with his results.

If he finishes highly in any of the tests it can only be a good sign for him.

The big one for Darling will be his height. If he is listed as 189-191cm, he will probably go in the draft between 10-20. However, if he comes in at 192+cm, he will almost certainly be a top 10 pick.

It might only be a 2-3cm difference, however there is a general belief that 190cm and less is too short for key position.

I think it will be similar to last year with NicNat. NicNat was originally thought to be 196cm, people were concerned he'd be too short for a ruckman, there were some suggesting he'd slip to somewhere between pick 4-8. When he came through as 202cm, it made a big difference, and from that point on he was a certainty as pick 1 or pick 2 (ended up pick 2).

A bit fanciful to believe he'd slip to 12.

I get the feeling we may not end up taking a KPF with our first pick.

We need to take the best available and even though there's a good chance it'll be a KPF, I think if it's not then we won't tale one til later.

Lucas Cook and Tom Lynch are likely types that should be available at that pick.

I think that will depend on whether we get another pick via trade. If we get another pick around 22, then we may go medium something I feel, If we can get a Key Tall in the 20's.

I like the look of him a lot, always been one for a player with some mongrel about him. But is he worth pick 12?

I'd like to see us go after another forward in this draft, but the thing that concerns me with Darling is his height. Some of his highlights on YouTube looked impressive, but that's exactly what they are: highlights. Also like many have said Darling does lack those vital 4cms to play as a traditional 'tall'. I'd be keen, but I'm not sold on if he is worth pick 12.

Also like many have said Darling does lack those vital 4cms to play as a traditional 'tall'. I'd be keen, but I'm not sold on if he is worth pick 12.

So Fev and Pavlich don't play as traditional talls? It's a myth that you have to be 195cms plus to play key forward, you just need to be able to present well and take a grab in a contest. His height is fine for key forward, the question is whether or not he's a good enough player.

Also like many have said Darling does lack those vital 4cms to play as a traditional 'tall'.

Here's what you do, go get yourself a ruler and have a look at 4 cms. People saying if only he was 3 or 4 cms taller, you gotta be kidding me. For such an insignificant amount, 4 cms is nothing. Look at Jared Brennan, he's listed as 195 cms, but he isn't seen as a KPP. Body shape has got a lot to do with which position one can play. Jack Darling has the body of a KPP. What would be advantageous moreso than his height, would be his arm span. If it is long, then that more than makes up for his 'lack of height'. Besides, we already have our 195+cm forward. We now need one to split packs, Darling does this with aplomb and he applies fantastic forward pressure. I'd have him any day of the week over a 195+cm KPF that is lazy.

FYI, the likes of Lockett, Modra, Dunstall, Ablett and even Fevola (sure he's and idiot, but he kicks lots of goals) were no taller than 191 cms and have done pretty well at FF.

Here's what you do, go get yourself a ruler and have a look at 4 cms. People saying if only he was 3 or 4 cms taller, you gotta be kidding me. For such an insignificant amount, 4 cms is nothing. Look at Jared Brennan, he's listed as 195 cms, but he isn't seen as a KPP. Body shape has got a lot to do with which position one can play. Jack Darling has the body of a KPP. What would be advantageous moreso than his height, would be his arm span. If it is long, then that more than makes up for his 'lack of height'. Besides, we already have our 195+cm forward. We now need one to split packs, Darling does this with aplomb and he applies fantastic forward pressure. I'd have him any day of the week over a 195+cm KPF that is lazy.

FYI, the likes of Lockett, Modra, Dunstall, Ablett and even Fevola (sure he's and idiot, but he kicks lots of goals) were no taller than 191 cms and have done pretty well at FF.

Totally agree with this post. People get far too carried away with height. It's how you play the position your assigned to that matters. Darling to me seems to be somewhat of an Aaron Hammil type.

He could be the perfect fold for the sublime talents of Watts and Jurrah.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/103461/default.aspx

In light of recent events do you we may be looking more closely at getting this lump of a lad down to the MFC? Can we afford to take a punt on him, by all reports hes being touted as a early to mid teens pickup, could be just what we need. Could turn to [censored], but sometimes you have to take a chance.

Promising young mids are great, but we have plenty of them already. What if noone wants to trade us a big bodied FF when were challenging, we could be screwed and that would be leaving our destiny in someone elses hands in a way. Such a hard decision, but i'd be happy if we went Darling because I trust the FD.

In light of recent events do you we may be looking more closely at getting this lump of a lad down to the MFC? Can we afford to take a punt on him, by all reports hes being touted as a early to mid teens pickup, could be just what we need. Could turn to [censored], but sometimes you have to take a chance.

Put it this way, if Darling does not make it, it won't be because of a lack of effort. He's a real goer who can get the ball as much as he can physically impose himself on a game (that's a fair bit for those who don't know). He plays with confidence because he believes in his ability. He knows his strengths and looks to take advantage of them. He also thinks he's a good footballer, good on him, self-confidence is probably the greatest thing a footballer can have (look at Travis Cloke and his lack of confidence in front of goal). He's also a teenager, and what do they do most of the time...............well yeah. Maybe leaving WA would be good for him.

The only thing that would hold him back, would be his bruising of the brain and how he recovers. His height will not be an issue for a KPF, he has the body, attitude, aggression and determination that will see him become a quality KPF. One that can take a great contested grab, kick a long ball and applies fantastic forward pressure. His hunger and desire alone, would make me want to pick him.

We already have our tall, versatile, athletic CHF in Jack Watts. A strong brut that will physically impose himself on games when adjusted to AFL football would complement Jack immensely. Look at Riewoldt and Kosi. Watts will hopefully become a Riewoldt type lead up forward. Darling could be the Brutish FF, similar to Kosi (similar style, not consistency). It just goes to show that height doesn't necessarily mean a good KPF.

I would gladly take Darling @12 if he is there. We are at the other side of 'bottoming out' and i feel we can and should target players we need. Best available is great, but look at Carlton. They needed another key forward last year and that's where they fell down in the elimination final against Sydney.

And of special note he was one of the first to be interviewed by our football department.

Not sure that's any indication.

The bloke wasn't competing in drills, so had plenty of time to do interviews.

I love the way Darling goes about it, but if by some freak occurrence both Darling and Lynch are available at pick 12, I'd have to choose Lynch.

Darling's height will be fine as a KPF at the next level, but Lynch would have the added advantage of having the height to take ruck contests in the forward line.

Darling won't have this ability. He's more of a Pavlich-type.

I love the way Darling goes about it, but if by some freak occurrence both Darling and Lynch are available at pick 12, I'd have to choose Lynch.

Darling's height will be fine as a KPF at the next level, but Lynch would have the added advantage of having the height to take ruck contests in the forward line.

Darling won't have this ability. He's more of a Pavlich-type.

So going by that Lynch might be like Kosi?

I'll take Darling then.....goes alright that Pavlich!

I think he's a real risk, but perhaps a risk worth taking. Pick 12 might be about right, bc teams in the top 10 might not be willing to risk it, since there are much safer options in the top end talent.

He could end up the next Pav, or alternatively he could be the next Jay Neagle with the attitude of Lawrence Angwin.

This from footydraft.com website...

Club: West Perth (WAFL)

Height: 190cm

Weight: 86kg

Date Of Birth: 2.10.1992

Position: Key/3rd Tall Forward

Strengths:

- Outstanding contested ball winning skills (includes hard ball gets, contested marks and free kicks for)

- Commanding on-field physical presence

- Excellent physicality and aggressive approach to the game

- Outstanding defensive pressure, work-rate and tackling strength

- Decent general field kicking with a thumping right foot kick and a range of upto 60m

- Good ball use with his hands ? shows elements of creativity, vision and good timing to release players effectively

- Good general smarts and decision making

Weaknesses:

- Lacks height for his natural position as a key forward (last measured at 190cm – beginning of this season) most key defenders that have been drafted in the last decade are 192-196cm Jack was beaten aerially on a number of occasions by Lucas Cook (194cm), Matthew Watson (Vic Metro 194cm) and Sebastian Tape (SA – 189cm) at 2010 AFL U18 Championships

Bio:

Jack Darling was one of the most impressive players of the 2008 AFL U16 Championships and the highest ranked player based on Champion Data scores. His outstanding form and potential earnt him an AFL-AIS Scholarship.

He had a similar outstanding AFL U18 Championships in 2009, as a 17 year old that was ineligible to be drafted, averaging 13 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles and 3 goals per game from 5 games and winning a spot in the U18 All-Australian team as centre half forward . In the second half of the season he played 6 games at senior level in the WAFL and impressed averaging 10 disposals, 3 marks and 2 goals from 6 games including a 6 goal haul against East Fremantle in his second game.

In September 2009 it was reported that Jack was involved in an off-field incident described by media outlets as a ?drunken sex romp? during a school camp and subsequently expelled from Perth private school, Sacred Heart College.

Darling was put behind the eight ball entering 2010 with limited pre-season preparation after having his ankle operated on in the off-season. His impact at the 2010 AFL U18 Championships raised some concern for some recruiters, not matching the expectations based on his performances of previous years and doubts particularly creeping up about his lack of height for a key position prospect, still being listed in the record at 190cm. At WAFL level he averaged 14 disposals, 5 marks and 1 goal from 12 games.

In September 2010 it was reported he fractured his skull and suffered bruising to the brain, after being king hit leaving a Subiaco hotel.?

Weaknesses:

- Lacks height for his natural position as a key forward (last measured at 190cm – beginning of this season) most key defenders that have been drafted in the last decade are 192-196cm Jack was beaten aerially on a number of occasions by Lucas Cook (194cm), Matthew Watson (Vic Metro 194cm) and Sebastian Tape (SA – 189cm) at 2010 AFL U18 Championships

This would be my main concern esp at AFL level. I know some shorter players "play tall" and its not always about the tape measure, but I thought the objective was to get a tall KPF.

What do others think?