Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dee Team v the Saints

dee-luded

Round 14 team v St Kilda

B: Clint Bartram, James Frawley, Kyle Cheney

HB: Colin Garland, Jared Rivers, Jack Grimes

C: Brad Green, Jack Trengove, Cameron Bruce

HF: Jamie Bennell, Matthew Bate, Lynden Dunn

F: Neville Jetta, Jack Watts, Aaron Davey

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Brent Moloney, Nathan Jones

I/C (from): Joel Macdonald, Tom Scully, Jordie McKenzie, Jake Spencer, Brad Miller, Matthew Warnock, Addam Maric In: Cheney, Bennell, Spencer, Maric

Out: Morton

http://www.melbourne...97/default.aspx

Edited by dee-luded

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 14 team v St Kilda

I/C (from): Joel Macdonald, Tom Scully, Jordie McKenzie, Jake Spencer, Brad Miller, Matthew Warnock, Addam Maric In: Cheney, Bennell, Spencer, Maric

Can't believe they dropped Morton (I assume he's been dropped as they didn't cite an injury!).

I know he was poor last week, but was one of our best against Collingwood. Very disappointing for him.

Hoping for this final bench: Scully, McKenzie, Spencer, Warnock

Wouldn't mind seeing Maric, but can't see how you're going to fit Bennell, Jetta and Maric into a single forwardline, unless Jetta plays in the midfield.

Warnock may be dropped in favour of Miller, but I know who I'd rather see in the side.

Round 14 team v St Kilda

I/C (from): Joel Macdonald, Tom Scully, Jordie McKenzie, Jake Spencer, Brad Miller, Matthew Warnock, Addam Maric

In: Cheney, Bennell, Spencer, Maric

if you look at last weeks team compared to this weeks team, you will notice that brad miller has been demoted to the extended bench. Last week he was starting on this field whilst watts was on the pine... could be a sign that miller will not be playing.

Can't believe they dropped Morton (I assume he's been dropped as they didn't cite an injury!).I know he was poor last week, but was one of our best against Collingwood. Very disappointing for him.

Hoping for this final bench: Scully, McKenzie, Spencer, Warnock

Wouldn't mind seeing Maric, but can't see how you're going to fit Bennell, Jetta and Maric into a single forwardline, unless Jetta plays in the midfield.

Warnock may be dropped in favour of Miller, but I know who I'd rather see in the side.

I don't know if we can make that assumption after Jordan Gysberts suddenly appeared on the injured list this week.

Jesus Sylvia's toe must have been pretty bad

im thinking the bench will be: Joel Macdonald, Tom Scully, Jordie McKenzie, Jake Spencer

If Mortons bad game got him dropped then Warnock was worse so should go also.

My read on it is that Morton has been dropped for something more than bad form. He was only poor last week but was terrific against Collingwood and is one of our most tallented young guns. Maybe not disclosing an injury as mentioned by Jaded.

It also seems that we have now changed our selection approach to team and player development, away from best possible team. Clearly we are not going to make the finals and as such this is a far better approach. Getting games into some of these kids is what has to happen if we are to challenge for the finals next season. I expect Maric to play.

Another bad week at the selection table Melbourne.....terrible.

Cale Morton could've learned some valuble lessons playing against Goddard. Played well against Collingwood but becomes the scapegoat for the annual shocker in Adelaide.

I was at Willy to see Casey hammered by 20 goals. Bennell was awful as was Cheney. Happy that Cheney gets a chance as has credits from previous games. Bennell, accounting for his bad game at Willy still ok with him back in but not together with Jetta who has done very little other than some flashes.

Maric has done nothing what so ever to warrant selection. Sorry to be harsh but nothing at all.

And if you join the Chat over at melbournefc.com.....no Cale is not injured he has bee dropped.

Crazy!

Fingers crossed for Cheney, deserves a shot after being good for Casey all year, Spencer may not be in form yet but we NEED him in to help Jamar, Bennell has been missed whether we realise it or not, don't think Maric will actually play. Question is though, with Morton out (and if Cheney comes in) will Garland have a shot up forward? Especially seeing a forward (Watts, Miller, Jetta) is likely to be dropped.

I'm excited with this weeks ins, young blokes who are hungry and want their shot, the outs will be interesting.

Fingers crossed for Cheney, deserves a shot after being good for Casey all year, Spencer may not be in form yet but we NEED him in to help Jamar, Bennell has been missed whether we realise it or not, don't think Maric will actually play. Question is though, with Morton out (and if Cheney comes in) will Garland have a shot up forward? Especially seeing a forward (Watts, Miller, Jetta) is likely to be dropped.

I'm excited with this weeks ins, young blokes who are hungry and want their shot, the outs will be interesting.

Cheney named on the field not the bench so he's a starter.

Hurray for MFC !

Finally dropping Morton.

Jaded, your comment about him 'maybe' being injured just proves that there are far too many

who just can't seem to comprehend one of our "future stars" struggling.

Cale Morton has rightly been dropped. There were a number of players that could have been dropped this week but

Cale has given us barely anything the last few weeks.

I don't think many demonlanders understand the game very well.

Cale Morton needs to add more than just being able to "run all day" to his game. I really think it's sad how many people

rate the guy so highly with no backing. Useless stats are used time and time again on this site. "Morton had 26 disposals on

the weekend, he must be good".

I have some advice for all who think this player is god.

Go back and watch the last few games of ours and tell me the following.

How much respect does he pay to his opponent?

Does he win many contested possessions?

Does he take many contested marks?

Does he have an appetite for winning his own ball?

Does he show much urgency to win the ball when the ball is in dispute?

Does he tackle? Does he block for team mates?

If your answer is "well not every player has to be an inside player or a hard nut" then tell me this.....

When he accumulates possessions out in the open field, how effectively does he use the ball on average? Be honest and truthful.

The problem is that Morton is nowhere near hard enough/ doesn't have the desire to play for his team mates to be an AFL footballer and he is nowhere near damaging enough by foot to be an outside player at this point in his career.

He better bloody fix one of those problems soon.

P.S. Dappa Dan - How wrong you are about rating Morton's kicking so highly.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Geez Steve, bit angry there aren't you?

FWIW, I agree Morton deserved to be dropped after last week's effort against Adelaide. He's no longer a first or second year player and I expected better, particularly after what looked to be a breakthrough game against Collingwood. Perhaps the Collingwood game was the exception rather than the rule, though.

On a day where we struggled to have any winners, Cale was one of our very worst because he didn't involve himself in the game either defensively or offensively. Not acceptable for a player of his ability.

However, I don't agree with Steve's scathing assessment of Morton's ability and like others, I have no doubt that his injury-hampered preparation for the season has affected his form. If his knee isn't too rough, he'll go back to Casey and play some good footy by doing the team things.

I have no doubt he will be a very good player for this club.

Hurray for MFC !

Finally dropping Morton.

Jaded, your comment about him 'maybe' being injured just proves that there are far too many

Cale Morton has rightly been dropped. There were a number of players that could have been dropped this week but

Cale Morton needs to add more than just being able to "run all day" to his game. I really think it's sad how many people

rate the guy so highly with no backing. Useless stats are used time and time again on this site. "Morton had 26 disposals on

If your answer is "well not every player has to be an inside player or a hard nut" then tell me this.....

When he accumulates possessions out in the open field, how effectively does he use the ball on average? Be honest and truthful.

The problem is that Morton is nowhere near hard enough/ doesn't have the desire to play for his team mates to be an AFL footballer and he is nowhere near damaging enough by foot to be an outside player at this point in his career.

i agree he hasnt been as good as he was before the injury but thats how it goes. i agree he should b dropped but god your a bit harsh there.

Hurray for MFC !

Finally dropping Morton.

Go and watch the Collingwood game again.

Slow down when you write some of those scathing remarks because they could be applied to many many players right now. Way way way over the top.

I would say Morton has been dropped because he hasn't learnt what the club has been trying to teach him over the two past year. The reason he was played down back IMO is to teach him a defensive side of his game, lets face it the guy would never had to man up before being drafted. You can't just get the easy kicks in footy and I've noticed Morton has been doing this over this year running back into the defensive 50 for the switch kick, maybe this is a role set for him but by being dropped this week maybe it isn't.

On Morton's kicking over 40m his kicking is very very good, the kicks that he struggles with is the short 10-25m kicks he doesn't kick them hard they seem to go very high and take for every to reach a target. It's like a toe poke kick.

I don't know if we can make that assumption after Jordan Gysberts suddenly appeared on the injured list this week.

Perhaps but I think he was in the gun after last week, along with Miller and a few others. Morton has been coasting in a footballing no man's land for much of his career to date and the club's usage and coaching of him is probably to blame. Last week he was pretty poor and basically he doesnt do anything apart from working hard to find space and then being a link in a chain. To be good playing that type of game your skill level and pace and run have to be elite and he doesn't provide that. I think the club needs to find him a solid role, whether it be as a match up defender, a mobile tall forward or an out and out traditional wingman, because as a floating rebounding defender he is of very little benefit to the team, and that's to say nothing of the area he really needs to lift in and that is being able to contest physically at AFL level, requiring an upgrade in his courage or application of courage and more pure physical strength.