Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

where is the forward line?

DemonSG

Still doesn't change my opinion on Bailey. In my opinion, he was a rubbish player and an awful coach.

I can't believe that after our performances against Coll, Bris. and the Dogs, there is a thread bagging Bailey.We were always going to be up and down this year.As to the forward line ....most of our future forwards weren't available for selection!!

The problem on Saturday was a lack of intensity everywhere - particularly at the stoppages . No forward set-up is going to kick goals if it doesn't receive quality ball from the midfield.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that after our performances against Coll, Bris. and the Dogs, there is a thread bagging Bailey.We were always going to be up and down this year.As to the forward line ....most of our future forwards weren't available for selection!!

I don't necessarily think this thread was set up as Baily basher, nor do I necessarily agree with that sentiment completely.

No forward set-up is going to kick goals if it doesn't receive quality ball from the midfield.

A forward set up with players in it will have a better chance though.

Hoopla: Do you honestly think that MFC will win a premiership with Bailey in the coach's box?

Yes if the players are good enough and desperate enough.

(I presume you were amongst the thousands who imagined Geelong could never win a premiership under Mark Thompson, back in 2006?)

Not disagreeing with what you're saying but can someone point out who is going to be the big focal David Neitz type key position forward in this group

Jack someone or other...

(I presume you were amongst the thousands who imagined Geelong could never win a premiership under Mark Thompson, back in 2006?)

Jack someone or other...

When??

RR, I'm concerned at how far the performance of some of our midfielders falls away when Jamar is not able to dominate the stoppages. Let alone play well in a team that's getting beaten.

We also seem to get strangled so easily by teams (even ordinary teams) that employ a zone. If we can't beat a zone (quick ball movement with accurate disposal & sensible risk-taking??), we're not going to get very far.

I thought an obvious move yesterday would have been Grimes on the ball. He is one who does seem to maintain his performance (despite some wayward disposals) when the team's struggling, and we needed someone to find it in the middle rather than the defensive 50. Somebody wrote that we don't have a "Plan B" - Grimes on the ball is a pretty good "Plan B", but we didn't pull the trigger. Perhaps sometimes the coaches need to take sensible risks too.

IMO the midfield is where it all starts. And IMO it's not the young mids, or Junior, who are the problem.

Agree- especially when Grimes's decision making is quesionable in the backline.

Guest The Boss

Jack someone or other...

Actually, in 2005 I predicted that Geelong would win a premiership in 2-3 years. I never expected Geelong to become so dominant for so long. But Geelong have a lot of talented players, just look at how many have earned All-Australian honours in the last couple of years.

Problem I have with Bailey is he is trying to implement a gameplan that our players are not skillful enough to execute. Melbourne will not be a genunine premiership contender this year or next year. Melbourne needs to learn how to apply defensive pressure, and the best way to do that is playing a man-to-man. They will lose games doing this, but defensive pressure is a mindset and most players will only learn if they are held accountable if they lose their match-up. Flooding the backhalf of the field and congesting the play will only produce lazy players.

Actually, in 2005 I predicted that Geelong would win a premiership in 2-3 years. I never expected Geelong to become so dominant for so long. But Geelong have a lot of talented players, just look at how many have earned All-Australian honours in the last couple of years.

Problem I have with Bailey is he is trying to implement a gameplan that our players are not skillful enough to execute. Melbourne will not be a genunine premiership contender this year or next year. Melbourne needs to learn how to apply defensive pressure, and the best way to do that is playing a man-to-man. They will lose games doing this, but defensive pressure is a mindset and most players will only learn if they are held accountable if they lose their match-up. Flooding the backhalf of the field and congesting the play will only produce lazy players.

Ugh. Warning: Poster patting himself on back for predicting a side to win a flag. But cant work how they develop top footballers.

MFC are collecting a list of talented players who are being developed to compete, win and use the ball effectively. A game plan is not learnt in a week, It is not learnt in a month or a pre season. It takes a couple of seasons for the pay off to come particularly from younger players. Our window of opportunity is 2012 to 2015. But spare us your crystall ball

So what game plan suits footballers who lack skill and will win games of football? If you are not skilful enough as say a Geelong then playing "man on man" will result in the more skilled opponent beating a less skilled opponent.

On the contrary, getting players behind the ball does not produce lazy players. Lazy players wont maintain the speed of the game for 4 qtrs.

And Bailey wont win a premiership this year or next year?? Whoa ...big call there bro. FFS, as if anyone was expecting that. :rolleyes:

If it takes a couple of up and down games for some of these fools to shake out their expecatations that Bailey would walk in and BANG! a team of kids would win a flag, then so be it.

Learn from mistakes by all means, but the team has shown several times this year that we are developing a game plan that can perform very well.

Sure we are going to lose a few, but why on earth did people expect different, Bailey sure didnt promised not to lose.

Guest The Boss

And Bailey wont win a premiership this year or next year?? Whoa ...big call there bro. FFS, as if anyone was expecting that. :rolleyes:

Let me clarify, MFC won't win a premiership in the next 2 years. Bailey will NEVER coach a premiership.

Clap, clap, clap....

Very easy to make sweeping statements about teams, players, coaches, etc when there is no possibility of evidence to the contrary being produced.

I can just as easily boldly proclaim that none of Ross Lyon, Rodney Eade, Brett Ratten, Michael Voss or Nathan Buckley will EVER coach a premiership.

Nobody can say anything at all to prove otherwise.

Let me clarify, MFC won't win a premiership in the next 2 years. Bailey will NEVER coach a premiership.

The same could be said with a fair chance of success regarding any coach in the AFL except those that have already won one

Amazing how a thread can go off topic. The original topic was asking why we had no one forward of the centre line on Saturday when we were defending. Every time the ball came within the 50 arc there was no home to get it. Further the amount of bombing the ball into an empty zone was incredible and when a player did get it, it was an Eagle. Bloody dumb football and something should have been done about it.

there were geelong people saying the same thing about bomber back in 2005.......

The 2005 Cats were more talented than the 2010 Demons.

maybe so, but many said bomber would never coach them to a flag, and you have said the same about bailey, just let things settle and we will see how correct you were in 5-8 years

Hoopla: Do you honestly think that MFC will win a premiership with Bailey in the coach's box?

I believe that he is the best person to take this group forward over the next couple of years - and am in no doubt that the quickest way to defer our next premiership would be to throw him out now as you seem to suggest.

Thank goodness you are not the boss

I bet you didn't predict it in 2006, or even Round 5 2007.

there were geelong people saying the same thing about bomber back in 2005.......

Try 2006. GFC lost 7 out of 8 in a row, missed the finals (finished tenth) and Bomber very nearly lost his head.

Problem I have with Bailey is he is trying to implement a gameplan that our players are not skillful enough to execute.

If you went back in time to 2006 and replaced "Bailey" by "Bomber", you'd be spot on.

What happened with the Cats? Those players "not skilful enough to execute Bomber's game plan" almost miraculously discovered the necessary skills in time for a record 2007 premiership win.

Actually, what heppened with those Melb players "not skilful enough" on Saturday evening recently against Brisbane at the 'G? Maybe there's a bit of latent talent there also, that you've somehow missed?

WOW ...No Double WOW.

You are shooting with both barrels now cowboy!

It was a stupid comment the first time around. Its more ridiculous trying to clarify it.

The 2005 Cats were more talented than the 2010 Demons.

Got any profound revelations. :rolleyes:

Agree- especially when Grimes's decision making is quesionable in the backline.

If he is questionable in the backline, he will be questionable in the midfield too with his decision making.

Amazing how a thread can go off topic. The original topic was asking why we had no one forward of the centre line on Saturday when we were defending. Every time the ball came within the 50 arc there was no home to get it. Further the amount of bombing the ball into an empty zone was incredible and when a player did get it, it was an Eagle. Bloody dumb football and something should have been done about it.

I know what that feels like.

I don't think I can answer that (at least now), but I'll say two things.

One, we're trending in the right direction. Eight games in and we've got a percentage of 100.

Two, we're not going to win a premiership now anyway, so that's almost moot for right now. What we do need to do is develop a side, and I think we're seeing improvement in both individuals and the way we're playing footy.

My main concern is that DB might be ND-like in his game-day tactics, but we'll see.

There's no good game plan for teams that are no good. The idea that we should teach a simplistic man-on-man game plan that you admit is going to lose games anyway is odd, to say the least. I'd much rather a game plan that we thought would win us a premiership once we could execute.

I don't think I can answer that (at least now), but I'll say two things.

One, we're trending in the right direction. Eight games in and we've got a percentage of 100.

Two, we're not going to win a premiership now anyway, so that's almost moot for right now. What we do need to do is develop a side, and I think we're seeing improvement in both individuals and the way we're playing footy.

My main concern is that DB might be ND-like in his game-day tactics, but we'll see.

There's no good game plan for teams that are no good. The idea that we should teach a simplistic man-on-man game plan that you admit is going to lose games anyway is odd, to say the least. I'd much rather a game plan that we thought would win us a premiership once we could execute.

Hear, hear! Good post.

As for trending in the right direction, we definitely seem to be. And the belief is that Bailey's a very good teaching coach, so he's probably got the right gifts and patience for where we're at just now, which as you say is developing a side that hopefully will be a very good side.

(once a coach has done all that hard work in developing individual players and a winning game plan, so that the team is as good as Geelong has been, coaching on the day must become a lot easier. Some days Geelong seems to almost coach itself, as evidenced by the relaxed Bomber Thompson munching on his salad rolls :) )