Brian Taylor

Vagg

There have been a lot of derogatory comments about Brian Taylor as a commentator, and I have to admit to agreeing with many of them.

However, in recent times, it seems to me that Brian is a changed man. On AFL Teams on Thurs nights and the guest appearance on On The Couch this week, I just reckon he has become a much more pleasant and easy to accept character. His comments aren't as inflammatory as they used to be, and he is just a whole lot easier to listen to.

Am I just suffering from Old-timers' disease? Or, have others noticed this, too?

Yeah agree he has tammed down alot and is more sensible almost "grown up" just watched league teams then and he is now one of my prefered footy experts

There have been a lot of derogatory comments about Brian Taylor as a commentator, and I have to admit to agreeing with many of them.

However, in recent times, it seems to me that Brian is a changed man. On AFL Teams on Thurs nights and the guest appearance on On The Couch this week, I just reckon he has become a much more pleasant and easy to accept character. His comments aren't as inflammatory as they used to be, and he is just a whole lot easier to listen to.

Am I just suffering from Old-timers' disease? Or, have others noticed this, too?

Maybe he's knackered.

I think maybe being at 3AW where they take a more mature

approach than the clowning around on triple M is having a calming effect on him.

Triple M is a boys club and they encourage larrakin loutish behaviour.

Who could forget Dunstall throwing a tantrum and his fried rice at Quartermain?

Over the top carry on.

Dropped 3AW as my listening choice for SEN

Heard the same thing about him last week but wont be changing back

Positive we tried to recruit him to the Demons once

I think maybe being at 3AW where they take a more mature

approach than the clowning around on triple M is having a calming effect on him.

Triple M is a boys club and they encourage larrakin loutish behaviour.

He was a goose at Triple M but I agree, that's what they are about. 3AW copped a fair bit of flack for Rex's antics so I'm sure that they wanted BT to tone down the clown act. That said, he still seems to barely contain it at times during his bouts on Sports Today...

I'm not a huge fan, but he does seem easier to tolerate of late.

One thing I know for sure is he never has a good thing to say about Melbourne or our supporters, Therefore I have no time for this self indulgent Pr1ck !!

Mate, the point of my thread was that the man seems to have pulled himself together of late, as other posters here have also concurred. His comments last night re the MFC certainly were positive. If the guy really has taken stock, then surely he deserves some credit for that, rather than just bashing him for his past. He's certainly won me over to the point where I think he's become one of the better commentators. He is just coming across these days with fair and reasonable comments on a regular basis.

Mate, the point of my thread was that the man seems to have pulled himself together of late, as other posters here have also concurred. His comments last night re the MFC certainly were positive. If the guy really has taken stock, then surely he deserves some credit for that, rather than just bashing him for his past. He's certainly won me over to the point where I think he's become one of the better commentators. He is just coming across these days with fair and reasonable comments on a regular basis.

I take you point Vagg, I will not however be won over by a guy that continually laid the boots into us while we were down. He never missed the chance to publicly bag our crowds and lack of spirit amongst our supporter base, Draft picks etc...

Good on him for pulling his head in but I won't forgive or forget they way he ridiculed the club I love.

MMM was always focussed on the buffoon listener and they have done well recruiting the ultimate buffoon and public menace in Rex Hunt to lead it.

I could not stand 3AW when he was there. However since he has gone and Brian Taylor has come in, I really like the synergy with Walls, Caro, Commetti, Richo and Taylor. I am very impressed with the some of the pre match discussion where they cover issues that arise. I still hate the ads though. But overall their commentary is good.

I have normally been a long term ABC listener but I find their Sunday midday the week that was segment rather hollow with too much pandering to taped replays of radio commentary of moments in a game. Its about as exciting as Parliamentary question time. They just need to back off the highs and lows segement which I find reptitious of old news and lacking any real analysis. I still like the Saturday commentary team. I really like the Friday night commentary team. I think Parkin and Schwab work well together.

The only issue I have with him now is his obsession with Barlow.

Agreed.

However, Jesus tapdancing Christ do I hate Dwayne Russell. Being in QLD, with almost all the Dees' games being broadcast on Fox Sports, it seems that he's commentating on all of our games, and there's no other option! (FTA excepted).

Hopefully this will change with our rise up the ladder (doubtful, as Brisbane always seem to get the 7:30 Saturday slot on Ten up here.....)

Interesting. Now we're not as bad as we have been in the past few years, BT has a couple of nice things to say about us and all of a sudden he's not a goose anymore? I don't feel like posting my opinions on him at the moment as I'm trying to watch the cricket semi final, but sounds like you guys are easily influenced by his commentary on the MFC rather than his commentary about football as a whole. Has he really changed or has your opinion of him changed because we aren't pathetic anymore? If you were a StKilda or a Geelong supporter for the past few years would your opinion of him have been the same? Just tossing this up as an idea. I only see him on TV and all I see is a guy who loves being talked up as an ex-player. Don't hear him on the radio as I only listen to SEN if possible (Rex made it impossible to listen to 3AW previously, MMM suck balls and over-hype things whilst ABC are too boring).

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Interesting. Now we're not as bad as we have been in the past few years, BT has a couple of nice things to say about us and all of a sudden he's not a goose anymore?

He still is and always will be a reactionary [censored] to me. That he was surprised that we have a quality backline (on AFL teams) proves it. Any person that followed the game would have seen we had that in place last year and it was a matter of getting the mids right to help them. But somehow BT and Parkin (sp?) have decided they have rumbled something the rest of us didn't know.

BT is and always will be a big fat [censored].

Thanks for all your comments on this, guys. I really didn't know what I'd get when I started this thread. Good to know I'm not alone in my observations, even though not everyone is convinced.

But, for me, I just reckon that, whereas previously I couldn't stand the guy, now I find him to be more palatable and very listenable. (I also hasten to add my observations are limited solely to his TV work. I haven't heard him on radio lately.)

Anyway, the focus today is on the big game. Happy B'day to Tom, and many happy returns to the MFC!!

Go Dees!