Stefan Martin

Dinosaur Rover

I wondered what we thought of Stefan Martin's inclusion?

I was pleasantly surpised to see him play. I thought handling Clark and Leudenberg was a tall order for Jamar alone and with a relatively small forward line he looked imposing down there. His stats dont show that much 4 kicks 5 handballs and 2 marks - 13 hit outs would be good for a second string ruck but the rest is not impressive. His first quarter lead and mark up the northern wing showed his promise.

I am in the position of saying my gut says perservere with him in the ones even though my head says there is better value elsewhere.

One last point the risk of the one ruck strategy (with a Dunne as a pinch hitter) was revealed in the Hawks Kangas game when Renouf got sick - the Hawks covered pretty well it has to be said but if Jamar goes down, there is exposure there. Aslo I like to see Jamar sticking his big knees into our opponents backs and pulling down strong marks. Martin allows this.

He's an interesting one. The fact that Jamar has been sensational has made his position even more interesting. I think he definitely has potential. It is going to be very hard to get spots in this team in the coming weeks, and I'm not sure he can play every week, but there will be a lot of matches where the coaching staff decide that they need him to support Jamar. He's still young and has not been playing the game for long. I'm quite undecided on him at the moment but he should get quite a few games this season and hopefully he shows a fair bit. I just reckon that when Watts and Jurrah are in the side, there won't be a place for him up forward, so then he would be playing solely as a second ruck, which clearly these days isn't preferred every week.

Oh and can I also add, he should be second ruck and not Johnson.

Edited by Adelaide Demon

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Definately competes more than big Juice Newton. Thought he was really good. Took some nice marks ion the lead too!! Well sone Stefan.

I thought Martin did pretty well. Second rucks aren't usually high possession winners so I don't think 9 disposals is too bad. He did well in the ruck, much better than last year. He looks stronger this year and I thought that was one of his weaknesses in the ruck last year.

Jamar mighn't be quite as dominant with back up but it's a long season and he'll need a chop out if he's going to last all year. Daniher couldn't bring himself to let the back up rucks give White a break and it always cost us late in seasons. The back up rucks won't improve without gametime either, Jamar's development was stunted for years because of limited gametime.

I reckon there's still a lot of undeveloped talent in Marto, and his size, pace and developing versatility make him a potential asset in what we all hope will be a quality team. I'd love to see him use his bulk and strength more in body on body situations, and hopefully this will come with experience.

One of the weekend Papers had Paul Johnson as the best for the Scorpions, which apparently was wrong.

This had excited me as I believe that if Dunn, Jamar and Bartram can come from a long way back, so too can PJ.

I thought Martins' was the most encouraging game I had witnessed from him, but I reckon PJ has something still left to reveal.

A good mate who follows Sydney closely reckons he is the exact type Sydney look for in a tall.

He does believe that Roos can get water from a stone, though :)

I hope he gets another chance, but then I picked Maric for Most Improved this year...

One of the weekend Papers had Paul Johnson as the best for the Scorpions, which apparently was wrong.

This had excited me as I believe that if Dunn, Jamar and Bartram can come from a long way back, so too can PJ.

I thought Martins' was the most encouraging game I had witnessed from him, but I reckon PJ has something still left to reveal.

A good mate who follows Sydney closely reckons he is the exact type Sydney look for in a tall.

I hope he gets another chance, but then I picked Maric for Most Improved this year...

I don't particularly want to see PJ back in the team this year.

If we're needing another ruckman, I'd prefer Spencer to get a game. I've seen enough of PJ to know he just isn't going to make it.

I reckon there's still a lot of undeveloped talent in Marto, and his size, pace and developing versatility make him a potential asset in what we all hope will be a quality team. I'd love to see him use his bulk and strength more in body on body situations, and hopefully this will come with experience.

his ruck effectiveness stats were better than Jamar's. Interesting and pehaps reflects that other teams are studying Jamar closely, working out where he knocks the ball to.Disappointing though that Martin can't create more of an impression on the forward line, where I think Newton offers more

I would like to see himself involve himself in more contests. I reckon so would Bails. Has some terrific athletic attributes.

his ruck effectiveness stats were better than Jamar's. Interesting and pehaps reflects that other teams are studying Jamar closely, working out where he knocks the ball to.Disappointing though that Martin can't create more of an impression on the forward line, where I think Newton offers more

Steph was good last year, in the ruck.

Go back guys, study your replays with the sound OFF! Use the slo-mo & watch his hitout work.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Don't look for what he may do poorly, but rather what a young kid is starting to do well. You'll see his development.

I don't particularly want to see PJ back in the team this year.

Sorry to be contrary, Titan. But, frankly, I'd love to see PJ back in the side. Because, if he is, it will probably mean he has shown dramatic improvement at Casey, and has earned his spot in the team. He has shown glimpses of brilliance over the years, interrupted by lots of injury and some mediocre games. But, as with every other player on the list, I just hope he can prove himself to be a useful contributor to the mighty MFC.

I know. Off subject of the thread. Yes, I also hope Stefan continues to improve on the potential shown thus far.

Sorry to be contrary, Titan. But, frankly, I'd love to see PJ back in the side. Because, if he is, it will probably mean he has shown dramatic improvement at Casey, and has earned his spot in the team. He has shown glimpses of brilliance over the years, interrupted by lots of injury and some mediocre games. But, as with every other player on the list, I just hope he can prove himself to be a useful contributor to the mighty MFC.

I know. Off subject of the thread. Yes, I also hope Stefan continues to improve on the potential shown thus far.

no...

It'll probably mean he is our only fit ruckman.

I saw the game a Ballarat. I thought PJ was next best of the Melbourne list after Rivers. What I like about him is that he is big, mobile and really has a go, particular defensively, and is a good tap ruckman. Personally I think he is better at the moment than Martin. For mine Martin competed in the forward line, but didn't take a grab and does not as yet have good ball skills. He may do in the future, and I think is a potential leader at the club as he is apparently a natural leader and very smart intellectually, but he does need to earn his stripes like JW. For me i'd play Martin at Casey for the time being. I just think PJ gives us more at this stage. We also need some big bodies when our opposition come at us as they inevitably will. The kids need protection.

It always takes the taller guys a lot longer to develop.

Martin along with PJ are 2 that still can improve a lot more. Playing in a team with their 'tails' up makes it a lot easlier to go to the next level.

Hoping both can step up during this year.

Maybe Fiztpatrick is another that will do so in the next few years. If they can, are tall brigade isnt looking as

bad as it looks right now.

Enjoying the ride, also expecting the lows during the year.

The problem I have is that he has had numerous opportunities at AFL level to show that he has the capability to be a number 1 ruck (fail, Jamar has that spot now), a decent forward (fail, I believe Martin can do it better, and really to be honest if we want a half-decent forward we ought play Newton) or a key position defender (massive fail, he sucked there whenever we put him there, and clearly we have much better defenders than him).

I just don't think we'd be better off with Johnson when we have Martin and Spencer on our list, both of whom are younger and have had less chances than Johnson.

I saw the game a Ballarat. I thought PJ was next best of the Melbourne list after Rivers. What I like about him is that he is big, mobile and really has a go, particular defensively, and is a good tap ruckman. Personally I think he is better at the moment than Martin. For mine Martin competed in the forward line, but didn't take a grab and does not as yet have good ball skills. He may do in the future, and I think is a potential leader at the club as he is apparently a natural leader and very smart intellectually, but he does need to earn his stripes like JW. For me i'd play Martin at Casey for the time being. I just think PJ gives us more at this stage. We also need some big bodies when our opposition come at us as they inevitably will. The kids need protection.

I can't say I agree with anything you've written here, except that Martin is smart, which we know he is.

I don't think he's that good as a tap ruckman, I don't think he's better than Martin, I think Martin played quite well as a forward on Saturday and gave at least what PJ would give, Martin has the same physical traits as PJ and probably uses his body better anyway, and the kids don't need protection, have a look at the way McKenzie, Scully, Trengove and now Bennell are throwing themselves around.

I just cannot see PJ offering us any more than Martin, and Martin has so much more upside and potential.

PJ is a very very very under-rated footballer. He has the right spirit, has good skills, can run kick and mark and is aggressive. He can play both ends and in the centre. He beat Sandilands last year and he is only 25ish. Once he is in the side, he will stay in the side for the nex 5 years. Mark my words!

PJ is a very very very under-rated footballer. He has the right spirit, has good skills, can run kick and mark and is aggressive. He can play both ends and in the centre. He beat Sandilands last year and he is only 25ish. Once he is in the side, he will stay in the side for the nex 5 years. Mark my words!

Consider them marked. I think you're going to be bitterly disappointed though.

PJ's had some success in the past, but it's always been as first ruck. He's consistently offered nothing as a second ruck. Since he's not good enough to be our first ruck (he is a long way behind Jamar), that puts him on the scrap heap for mine.

Pj is a 6ft 6in 100kg wingman which would be great if he was good at it. Unfortunately he has never shown the agility or nous to play as a link-man.

He would need an improvement of Jamar-like proportions to become a regular senior player.

Pj is a 6ft 6in 100kg wingman which would be great if he was good at it. Unfortunately he has never shown the agility or nous to play as a link-man.

He would need an improvement of Jamar-like proportions to become a regular senior player.

PJ will get his chance as soon as Jamar is injured. We can reasonably assume this is going to happen and other players as well which is why some depth is so important.

PJ will get his chance as soon as Jamar is injured. We can reasonably assume this is going to happen and other players as well which is why some depth is so important.

We may be more likely than not to experience injuries this year, but just because Jamar had a bad one last year does not automatically mean he will be injured some time this year too.

Whether or not PJ takes his spot in that situation is still no certainty. And I highly doubt he would impress if given a chance.

We may be more likely than not to experience injuries this year, but just because Jamar had a bad one last year does not automatically mean he will be injured some time this year too.

Whether or not PJ takes his spot in that situation is still no certainty. And I highly doubt he would impress if given a chance.

your negativity stinks. I dare you to say that kind of rubbish to his face.

One thing I loved about Martin's game. Look at Sylvia's first goal. The ball went to ground and Martin managed to fight his way to it, being held all the way and got a quick handball off to Scully who put Sylvia through for the goal. It was a ball Martin had no right to win, but he wanted it more and made something happen from what probably should have been another dead ball.

your negativity stinks. I dare you to say that kind of rubbish to his face.

I dare you to think that maybe some people can have differing opinions to you.

I don't think PJ is that good. Sorry. And I would tell him to his face if I ever met him. I'm sure he would really care.

One thing I loved about Martin's game. Look at Sylvia's first goal. The ball went to ground and Martin managed to fight his way to it, being held all the way and got a quick handball off to Scully who put Sylvia through for the goal. It was a ball Martin had no right to win, but he wanted it more and made something happen from what probably should have been another dead ball.

Agree. Things like that didn't go unnoticed (at least not from us!). I really was impressed by some of his second efforts.