Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

LEADING FROM THE FRONT

Demonland

LEADING FROM THE FRONT by JVM

We're only four rounds into the season but a glance at the ladder certainly indicates that the Melbourne Football Club is looking a lot healthier than it has at this stage of the journey than at any time over the last half a decade.

The cynics might add that this is due to the fact that the AFL programme has been kind enough to provide the Demons with the familiar territory of the MCG for all of its games to date and two poor opponents that have a combined record of zip and eight at this point in the journey. However, this doesn't explain the club's two polar opposite performances against more accomplished opposition in the opening rounds. Which was the aberration - the pitiful display against the Hawks or the heroic but ultimately disappointing one-point defeat at the hands of the Magpies?

There are those who would argue that neither is an aberration and that inconsistent performance is what you should expect with young emerging football teams in the early phases of a rebuild. On the other hand, the lousy opening could be explained away as a case of early stage fright for a group that was just starting to find its way in the world and that since then, the ship has righted itself and is now steering on course and in the proper direction.

There's plenty of evidence to support this view. In order to get a ship on course, you need a good skipper to lead the crew and, under James McDonald and his leadership group, the Demons have begun to blossom in 2010.

Melbourne's leadership group for 2010 of skipper James McDonald, Cameron Bruce, Aaron Davey, Brad Green, Brad Miller, Brent Moloney and Jared Rivers. With the exception of Miller (dropped after a poor display in round 1) and Rivers (injured since the Hawks' game), the team leaders have led by example over the past three weeks. Here are

their average statistics per game in disposals and tackles for the season to date:-

McDonald - 25 disposals, 8 tackles

Bruce - 24 disposals, 3 tackles

Davey - 21 disposals, 4 tackles

Green - 20 disposals, 4 tackles

Moloney - 26 disposals, 7 tackles

The leadership by example exhibited by this group has filtered all the way through the club. We're seeing some major strides being made by the next tier of players in the 50-100 game category (which includes Moloney), none more visibly improved than Mark Jamar who has not only been outstanding in the ruck this season but who has also done it all

virtually single-handedly. We're also seeing important contributions from Nathan Jones, Matthew Bate, Lynden Dunn, Matthew Warnock and more

lately Clint Bartram and Colin Sylvia put in a five goal blinder on return after a month on the sidelines with a broken jaw.

So it's not just the youth that has led the Melbourne resurgence but it's also the wiser heads and the middle-aged (in football terms) warriors who have also stepped up to the plate. That is not to take anything away from the young guns in the team ranging from James Frawley and Ricky Petterd now beginning to blossom in their fourth

seasons to the likes of Jack Grimes and Jamie Bennell, surprise packets in Rohan Bail and Jordie McKenzie and the youthful brilliance of the Scullgove boys.

And the beauty of this newly emerging Demon combination is that the influence and example of its mostly unsung leader is filtering through all levels of the club. Junior Mac always gets in and puts his body on the line at every contest. He leaves nothing on the track. The same can be said of Grimes, Scully, Trengove, McKenzie and others who will

also one day be leaders.

Exciting stuff but how will this match reality when the team comes up against the undefeated Brisbane Lions who have a formidable attack and whose tails are up after disposing of one time flag favourites, the Western Bulldogs?

THE GAME Melbourne v Brisbane at The MCG - Saturday, 24 April 2010 at 7.10pm.

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 16 wins Brisbane 10 wins

MCG Melbourne 2 wins Brisbane 2 wins

Since 2000 Melbourne 4 wins Brisbane 7 wins

The Coaches Bailey 0 wins Voss 1 win

MEDIA

TV Fox Sports1 6.30pm

RADIO MMM 3AW

THE BETTING Suspended due to speculation over whether Jonathan would play.

THE LAST TIME THEY MET Brisbane 16.15.111 defeated Melbourne 8.8.56 at The Gabba Round 13, 2009

It was a horror night for the Demons who were monstered by the home town Lions who were fully intent of extracting every bit of revenge for their shock loss late in the previous season. Jonathan Brown booted five goals and he was accompanied then by Daniel Bradshaw who snagged. Aaron Davey, Cale Morton and Cameron Bruce led the Demons' resistance but they were completely overpowered by a bigger, better, stronger and more experienced outfit.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs James McDonald Matthew Warnock James Frawley

Half backs Cameron Bruce Colin Garland Lynden Dunn

Centreline Jack Trengove Aaron Davey Clint Bartram

Half forwards Brad Green Ricky Petterd Nathan Jones

Forwards Colin Sylvia Matthew Bate Rohan Bail

Followers Mark Jamar Jack Grimes Brent Moloney

Interchange Jamie Bennell Joel Macdonald Jordie McKenzie Tom Scully

Emergencies Kyle Cheney Jordan Gysberts Stefan Martin

No change

BRISBANE

Backs Ashley McGrath Daniel Merrett Joel Patfull

Half backs Travis Johnstone Matt Maguire Josh Drummond

Centreline Jared Brennan Daniel Rich Andrew Raines

Half forwards Justin Sherman Jonathan Brown Jack Redden

Forwards Todd Banfield Brendan Fevola Brent Staker

Followers Matthew Leuenberger Michael Rischitelli James Polkinghorne

Interchange Simon Black Mitch Clark James Hawksley

Emergencies Matt Austin Albert Proud Troy Selwood

In Simon Black Mitch Clark Ashley McGrath

Out Luke Power (hip) Albert Proud Troy Selwood

WHO'LL WIN?

On the face of it, Brisbane is the undefeated form side of the AFL and the Lions should do it easily but they won't have it all their own way in only their second venture away from the Gabba for 2010,

The Lions played some good football on their home turf last week against the Bulldogs but things might not be as comfortable on the unfamiliar territory of the G - a ground where the teams have met previously only four times and where the visitors last beat the Demons in Round 21, 1999. To make matters worse, they have one win from their

past seven ventures to this ground and this is their home-and-away fixture at the home of football for 2010.

On the other hand, the Lions have a dazzling forward line set up headed by twin towers Jonathan Brown and Brendan Fevola who will provide a tremendous challenge for Demon pair James Frawley and Matthew Warnock who have Colin Garland and former Lion in reserve just in case one of the first choice key backmen find the going tough.

But the key to the game will be whether the improving Demon midfield can stand up to the Lions who will be strengthened by the return of Brownlow Medallist Simon Black. It was the Lions' on ball division that shook the Bulldogs in an electrifying second half.

I think Melbourne will continue to do well but Brisbane should be a little too strong for the home side although one should not forget that the Demons nearly beat the Pies a few weeks ago when they were coming off a big win over the Doggies.

Brisbane by 5 points.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne Team

Backs: McDonald, Warnock, Frawley

Half backs: Bruce, Garland, Dunn

Centreline: Trengove, Davey, Bartram

Half forwards: Green, Petterd, Jones

Forwards: Sylvia, Bate, Bail

Followers: Jamar, Grimes, Moloney

I/C: MacDonald, McKenzie, Scully, Bennell, Cordner, Wenzler

Emergencies: Martin, Gysberts, Cheney

No change. These are two supporters who won the competition.

Dunn lucky again.

Edited by titan_uranus

Brown not (yet) out for the lions:

B: Ashley McGrath (9), Daniel Merrett (21), Joel Patfull (24)

HB: Travis Johnstone (4), Matt Maguire (36), Josh Drummond (39)

C: Jared Brennan (17), Daniel Rich (10), Andrew Raines (29)

HF: Justin Sherman (11), Jonathan Brown (16), Jack Redden (30)

F: Todd Banfield (18), Brendan Fevola (5), Brent Staker (14)

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger (23), Michael Rischitelli (35), James Polkinghorne (31)

Int: Mitch Clark (1), Simon Black (20), Tom Rockliff (38), James Hawksley (12)

Emerg: Albert Proud (2), Troy Selwood (28), Matt Austin (8)

Brown not (yet) out for the lions:

B: Ashley McGrath (9), Daniel Merrett (21), Joel Patfull (24)

HB: Travis Johnstone (4), Matt Maguire (36), Josh Drummond (39)

C: Jared Brennan (17), Daniel Rich (10), Andrew Raines (29)

HF: Justin Sherman (11), Jonathan Brown (16), Jack Redden (30)

F: Todd Banfield (18), Brendan Fevola (5), Brent Staker (14)

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger (23), Michael Rischitelli (35), James Polkinghorne (31)

Int: Mitch Clark (1), Simon Black (20), Tom Rockliff (38), James Hawksley (12)

Emerg: Albert Proud (2), Troy Selwood (28), Matt Austin (8)

No Luke power

Melbourne Team

Dunn lucky again.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Dunn's game last week

Absolutely nothing wrong with Dunn's game last week

Disagree. Still doesn't know what he's doing when we don't have the ball, and still can't kick. Did OK in the ruck, but I reckon Martin can do what he's doing but better.

It's not a biggie, and it's good we're keeping a winning team together.

Disagree. Still doesn't know what he's doing when we don't have the ball, and still can't kick. Did OK in the ruck, but I reckon Martin can do what he's doing but better.

It's not a biggie, and it's good we're keeping a winning team together.

You're a hard marker

Cant really say Dunn was lucky & he doesnt know what to do when we dont have the ball - if he was that bad, dont you reckon that the FD would take action if they thought it was an issue??

BTW - I though he did some good things last week & didnt consider him to be lucky to still be in the team.

I don't reckon you know what he's supposed to be doing when we don't have the ball.

He seems to float around without knowing where to position himself or who to man up on. Just an observation.

Cant really say Dunn was lucky & he doesnt know what to do when we dont have the ball - if he was that bad, dont you reckon that the FD would take action if they thought it was an issue??

BTW - I though he did some good things last week & didnt consider him to be lucky to still be in the team.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree.

Like I said, it isn't going to drastically change the performance of the team, and it's nice to see players being rewarded, but I don't see what a lot of others see in Dunn, and especially with Brisbane having to fit and mobile rucks, I thought Martin would be able to do what Dunn's been doing, but better.

Melbourne Team

Dunn lucky again.

Rubbish!

Twice the value of Bate. At least Dunn looks fit and he doesn't fumble like Bate. Even did ok in the ruck

Thats what I think, Based on nothing more than that I reckon, we're better balanced against this team with the extra Versatile tall?

Versatile and talented

Martin has kicked 8 in his last 2 VFL games,

he was good value down back in 2008 and 2009

a very quick player

and spent summer training as a ruck

I hope he comes in

I don't know where these 'late change' ideas come from. Is anyone in the selected 22 suffering from a nagging niggle in the groin or someplace? An emergency list usually contains at least one tallish player and one running type to cover all possibilities, and I doubt Martin has been named just so Dunn or a small player can be dropped on a whim on Saturday night. And I mean whim, because there wasn't a real failure in the side last week and dropping someone from an even team that's won 2 in a row does not make any sense.

Saying Dunn is lucky is pretty absurd unless you're prepared to say a couple of others are also 'lucky', namely Bate and Bruce. They didn't perform better than Dunn. Nor did a few others. I haven't been a great Dunn fan, but he did well last week; there were times when he looked more like a footballer than Bate or Bruce. I think he's capable of taking the game up to Brisbane much more than Martin, who's in as much need of finding a position as Dunn has been, and has only one advantage over Dunn: his height. But that's only an advantage in certain contexts. Dunn has a bit of strength and run in him these days.

You could argue that dunn should make way for another tall. The trouble is that dunn bashing is being raised to a level that no matter how he plays he is going to be classed as dead wood and a list clogger by some on this board.

In my opinion he has played well enough to keep his spot and only team balance would be a reason to drop him.

I don't know where these 'late change' ideas come from. Is anyone in the selected 22 suffering from a nagging niggle in the groin or someplace? An emergency list usually contains at least one tallish player and one running type to cover all possibilities, and I doubt Martin has been named just so Dunn or a small player can be dropped on a whim on Saturday night. And I mean whim, because there wasn't a real failure in the side last week and dropping someone from an even team that's won 2 in a row does not make any sense.

Saying Dunn is lucky is pretty absurd unless you're prepared to say a couple of others are also 'lucky', namely Bate and Bruce. They didn't perform better than Dunn. Nor did a few others. I haven't been a great Dunn fan, but he did well last week; there were times when he looked more like a footballer than Bate or Bruce. I think he's capable of taking the game up to Brisbane much more than Martin, who's in as much need of finding a position as Dunn has been, and has only one advantage over Dunn: his height. But that's only an advantage in certain contexts. Dunn has a bit of strength and run in him these days.

Bruce is the one to go mate, Stef runs rings around him