Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

UFC

Summer Blease

Thought I'd revive this old beast seeing as its been a while, and a lot has happened.

Cain Velasquez has has pretty much closed the heavyweight division. Shut up shop, it's all over.

Anderson, what were you doing? The Weidman fight was one if the most gripping and gut wrenching 10 minutes I'd ever seen in sport. Too much typing to go into it all, but I liken it to a serial killer wanting to get caught.

He'll smash Weidman in New Years.

Pettis is amazing to watch. Busting Henderson's arm propelled him to my top 5 favourite people in world history.

Vitor the destroyer. I'd sooner retire than want to fight him at the minute. Human highlight wrecking ball. Took him 15 years to discover he has legs and feet!

I thought Gustafsson beat Jones in what was a great fight.

Speaking of great fights, the Mexican standoff between Melendez and Sanchez was just as entertaining as a fight can get. Absolutely awesome.

The welterweight division. STACKED. So many talented and dangerous contenders.

Lombard, Lawlor, McDonald, Woodley to name a few...

And finally, the worst judging decision since Paqiou v Tim Bradley... Hendricks belted GSP. I actually gained a lot of respect for GSP for surviving that fight. But surviving a beating doesn't mean you won. Total joke of a decision and something needs to be done.

Rhonda Rousey is bat [censored] mental. In a bad way.

The upcoming card in Brisbane is choc full of great fights.

Havent checked back here for ages, and only just picked up your post.

i agree with pretty much everything there, especially the GSP/Hendricks fight. clearly won by Hendricks.

i think Anderson was probably just a bit bored, but he's been carrying on like that in the ring for a while now and it's been gradually getting worse. hopefully he's learnt a lesson. really looking forward to the rematch and think he will win easily.

Just got home from Brisbane and i gotta say i wasn't overly excited about this card beforehand. my thoughts after the event is that i think i may witnessed the best heavyweight bout in UFC history. it was certainly the best fight i have seen live, we were buzzing all night after that. Also the "draw" decision was spot on in my opinion.

great to see Shogun live and dish out a brutal KO, even though it was at the expense of Te Huna.

The Hippo provided great protection for the canvas for three rounds, and kept in tact his record of not trying any submission attempt from the bottom. (i take the [censored] but he has 5 times the heart that i have)

The Hulk just destroyed Pat Barry. one thing they didnt show on the telecast was when Barry tried to get up straight after being KO'D, and ran head first into the bottom of the cage. looked quite nasty. I like Pat Barry, but i'm not sure where he goes from here. he was mega [censored] at losing that.

A few other really good fights on this card made it a great event, and i'm really glad i decided to go.

Australia Vs Canada in TUF coming up, and hopefully we get another cracking card in the not too distant future.

Havent checked back here for ages, and only just picked up your post.

i agree with pretty much everything there, especially the GSP/Hendricks fight. clearly won by Hendricks.

i think Anderson was probably just a bit bored, but he's been carrying on like that in the ring for a while now and it's been gradually getting worse. hopefully he's learnt a lesson. really looking forward to the rematch and think he will win easily.

Just got home from Brisbane and i gotta say i wasn't overly excited about this card beforehand. my thoughts after the event is that i think i may witnessed the best heavyweight bout in UFC history. it was certainly the best fight i have seen live, we were buzzing all night after that. Also the "draw" decision was spot on in my opinion.

great to see Shogun live and dish out a brutal KO, even though it was at the expense of Te Huna.

The Hippo provided great protection for the canvas for three rounds, and kept in tact his record of not trying any submission attempt from the bottom. (i take the [censored] but he has 5 times the heart that i have)

The Hulk just destroyed Pat Barry. one thing they didnt show on the telecast was when Barry tried to get up straight after being KO'D, and ran head first into the bottom of the cage. looked quite nasty. I like Pat Barry, but i'm not sure where he goes from here. he was mega [censored] at losing that.

A few other really good fights on this card made it a great event, and i'm really glad i decided to go.

Australia Vs Canada in TUF coming up, and hopefully we get another cracking card in the not too distant future.

Thought that fight might draw you back to this thread!

What a fight. Just awesome. An incredible amount of punishment absorbed by two huge fighters. I couldn't really believe what I was seeing. The draw was a great result. Funnily enough, before the card I was talking to my mate about bad judging calls, my idea is get rid of the 10 point must system and if a round is so close you can't decide, score it even. If we end up with more draws so be it. That's better than having one bloke work his arsh off for 3 months, get robbed and go home with nothing and a loss.

Then a great fight happened and it was a draw and everyone was happy with it (even though I don't see how it can be a draw, they gave Hunt 10 - 8 in the last, really? Bigfoot landed strikes too I think).

I've always liked Pat Barry, but I've being following Soa since I saw him live at AFC 2 and I'm glad he showed the UFC what a beast he can be.

Spewin about Te Huna. Shogun still hits like a truck though, nice reminder to everyone that he's still around.

I'm excited about the three TUF series we'll have to watch.

Aus v Can as you mentioned.

BJ v Frankie at featherweight holy [censored].

And Brazil Wandy v USA Chael LOL.

And the wheels are in motion to have the cage ban lifted and a big title fight at Etihad.

Exciting times for all fight fans.

yeah it was something else, and it never comes across as loud on TV as what it does when you are there, people were going nuts. Hunt started great in the last round but you are right, Big foot came back and it certainly wasn't a 10-8 round. having said that when the ref stopped the fight to take a look at big foot's cut, i thought Hunt was seconds away from finishing him. wouldn't be the only time i thought that in the fight though!

good to hear about the title fight here, even though i think Etihad will suck as a UFC venue.

I agree, it's not the ideal venue for anything, especially UFC. But I'll take whatever we can get.

So [censored] off that Matt Brown and Condit is cancelled this week. The only fight I was really looking forward to. Matt Brown has been awesome lately.

• 1 year later...

Me too.

It was my first time at a UFC gig, absolutely loved it, I've waited a long time and it was worth it.

I've followed Ronda Rousey from her start in Strikeforce, didn't take me long to dispise her ungracious attitude. So I've waited a long time for her to lose, can't believe I was at her first loss. So satisfying.

All the Aussies that matter put on a good performance too.

Can't wait til they come back.

Edited by Deestroy All

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't post here as I didn't attend the UFC in my own backyard as i thought the card was utter rubbish. Cannot believe that is the best the UFC could give the sporting capital of the world for its first event. I can only assume they thought they would pull a crowd no matter who was on the card. UFC is an awesome spectacle live, but this substandard card turned out to be just that in my opinion. Having said that I would have loved to have seen Roudy get smashed! And I need to mention Whittaker who had a big win.

Compare this card to the next one, which is off its head!!!

On 29 November 2015 7:17:15 pm, Demon16 said:

Didn't post here as I didn't attend the UFC in my own backyard as i thought the card was utter rubbish. Cannot believe that is the best the UFC could give the sporting capital of the world for its first event. I can only assume they thought they would pull a crowd no matter who was on the card. UFC is an awesome spectacle live, but this substandard card turned out to be just that in my opinion. Having said that I would have loved to have seen Roudy get smashed! And I need to mention Whittaker who had a big win.

Compare this card to the next one, which is off its head!!!

You cannot be serious?

I have never posted in this thread, purely on the basis that I only come here to talk footy, but UFC 193 in Melbourne was a huge event in the MMA world!

Ronda Rousey v Holly Holm was a fight that, to steal a phrase from another high profile American hero, "Millions.....and MILLIONS" of people were waiting for.

Smashing the all time attendance record, previously held by UFC 129.

The gate takings sit 4th in UFC history behind (Obviously ticket prices higher at these others) 

1. UFC 129 - GSP v Shields in GSP's home country (Canada) at the height of his fame
  2. UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendez (The former being the biggest drawcard on the roster)
  3. UFC 148 - Silva v Sonnen II (After Chael nearly defeated Silva in the first fight and a hype for this fight like few in fight history)

For Melbourne, Australia to achieve this is phenomenal in the scheme of things!

The card was huge if you are a true fighting fan and the fact that UFC 193 smashed the Commercial Purchases record (i.e.. Bars, Clubs, and other venues) previously held by Lesnar v Velasquez back at UFC 121, is a testament to the Melbourne sporting lovers.

The next card to hit Melbourne (albeit probably not at Etihad as it was a poor choice) will no doubt be another huge card as the UFC are aware that the attendance will be there.

You cannot compare UFC 193 with what we are about to witness next Sunday at UFC 194. It is apples and oranges!

Seeing Ronda, Jedrzejczyk, Mark Hunt, Robert Whittaker and the like is a big deal and should not be scoffed at.

But.... Conor McGregor v Jose Aldo and Chris Weidman v Luke Rockhold is, as you said, "Off it's head" and will smash the records out of the park in regards to PPV numbers, but they are hardly going to bring that fight to Melbourne when if to be held overseas it should've rightfully been in Dublin, Ireland...

Regardless, grab some mates, drink some beers and watch one of the biggest fight events the world has ever seen next Sunday 13th December :cool:

Edited by KrazyJay
  • Like 1

On 5 December 2015 5:04:35 PM, KrazyJay said:

You cannot be serious?

I have never posted in this thread, purely on the basis that I only come here to talk footy, but UFC 193 in Melbourne was a huge event in the MMA world!

Ronda Rousey v Holly Holm was a fight that, to steal a phrase from another high profile American hero, "Millions.....and MILLIONS" of people were waiting for.

Smashing the all time attendance record, previously held by UFC 129.

The gate takings sit 4th in UFC history behind (Obviously ticket prices higher at these others) 

1. UFC 129 - GSP v Shields in GSP's home country (Canada) at the height of his fame
  2. UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendez (The former being the biggest drawcard on the roster)
  3. UFC 148 - Silva v Sonnen II (After Chael nearly defeated Silva in the first fight and a hype for this fight like few in fight history)

For Melbourne, Australia to achieve this is phenomenal in the scheme of things!

The card was huge if you are a true fighting fan and the fact that UFC 193 smashed the Commercial Purchases record (i.e.. Bars, Clubs, and other venues) previously held by Lesnar v Velasquez back at UFC 121, is a testament to the Melbourne sporting lovers.

The next card to hit Melbourne (albeit probably not at Etihad as it was a poor choice) will no doubt be another huge card as the UFC are aware that the attendance will be there.

You cannot compare UFC 193 with what we are about to witness next Sunday at UFC 194. It is apples and oranges!

Seeing Ronda, Jedrzejczyk, Mark Hunt, Robert Whittaker and the like is a big deal and should not be scoffed at.

But.... Conor McGregor v Jose Aldo and Chris Weidman v Luke Rockhold is, as you said, "Off it's head" and will smash the records out of the park in regards to PPV numbers, but they are hardly going to bring that fight to Melbourne when if to be held overseas it should've rightfully been in Dublin, Ireland...

Regardless, grab some mates, drink some beers and watch one of the biggest fight events the world has ever seen next Sunday 13th December :cool:

the size of this crowd has nothing to do with how good the card was. Melbourne fans would have turned up no matter what.

and this "Seeing Ronda, Jedrzejczyk, Mark Hunt, Robert Whittaker and the like is a big deal and should not be scoffed at." well yeah actually i do scoff at that for a first time event in the sporting capital of the world.

i went to 110 in Sydney and saw Nogueira, Velasquez, Bisping, Wanderlei Silva. I went to 127 and saw Bj Penn, John Fitch, Pearson, Gustafsson. Fx2 i saw Alves, Kampmann, Benavitez, mighty mouse. i went to 156 in Vegas, Edgar, Aldo, Evans, Overeem, Woodley. even fight night 33 in Brissy i got to see Shogun! 

We got Roudy and not much else IMO.

As soon as this card lost Condit and Lawler, it lost my interest. that doesn't mean it's not a success.

11 hours ago, Demon16 said:

the size of this crowd has nothing to do with how good the card was. Melbourne fans would have turned up no matter what.

and this "Seeing Ronda, Jedrzejczyk, Mark Hunt, Robert Whittaker and the like is a big deal and should not be scoffed at." well yeah actually i do scoff at that for a first time event in the sporting capital of the world.

i went to 110 in Sydney and saw Nogueira, Velasquez, Bisping, Wanderlei Silva. I went to 127 and saw Bj Penn, John Fitch, Pearson, Gustafsson. Fx2 i saw Alves, Kampmann, Benavitez, mighty mouse. i went to 156 in Vegas, Edgar, Aldo, Evans, Overeem, Woodley. even fight night 33 in Brissy i got to see Shogun! 

We got Roudy and not much else IMO.

As soon as this card lost Condit and Lawler, it lost my interest. that doesn't mean it's not a success.

I agree with the Condit and Lawler loss.... That was massive!  I was looking forward to that, big time!  

At least you were there to see Ryan Bader knock Keith Jardine out at 110.... Epic!

I will agree to disagree in regards to the card at 193 as I am a huge fan of Jedrzejczyk and having her there tipped the card in my favour :)

Regardless of any previous cards, this weekend is going to be one for the ages.... Cannot wait!

• Like 1

On 7 December 2015 at 9:41 PM, KrazyJay said:

I agree with the Condit and Lawler loss.... That was massive!  I was looking forward to that, big time!  

At least you were there to see Ryan Bader knock Keith Jardine out at 110.... Epic!

I will agree to disagree in regards to the card at 193 as I am a huge fan of Jedrzejczyk and having her there tipped the card in my favour :)

Regardless of any previous cards, this weekend is going to be one for the ages.... Cannot wait!

13 seconds. hope it was worth the wait!

On 13 December 2015 at 4:44 PM, The Song Formerly Known As said:

13 seconds. hope it was worth the wait!

Watching from 11am right through until the final knockout was a helluva lot longer than 13 seconds.... But the result was well worth the wait!

• 3 months later...

Great card in Brisbane today and entertaining fights all round! What I took away from it:

- Bec Rawlings is scary.

- Te Huna is done, surely. You can't keep being KO'd like that at 34 years old.

- Daniel Kelly has enormous heart and it was awesome watching him get over a much younger and more highly touted physical beast in Antonio Carlos, who looks huge at middleweight. Probably my favourite fight of the day.

- Jake Matthews is a superb athlete and is going to be a gun for a very long time, and will be a contender at lightweight much sooner rather than later. Those body shots on Case took the fight away from the American and Matthews strength and speed was first class. Legend and only 21 years old. Along with Whittaker, he's our best prospect at that level.

- Lombard is done, surely.

- Classic Hunt, huge KO. He keeps bobbing up and down in the heavyweight rankings and won't go away, but I can't see him getting a title shot without some serious wins over guys like Miocic, Velasquez, Dos Santos and Rothwell.

All in all, a great afternoon of viewing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This thread needs a bump purely to pay tribute to Robbie Whitaker, gutsy win over Romero.

Looking back to the 2013 posts on this thread are a chuckle and when Hendricks was fighting GSP. The guy can't even make weight now!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Well that was something different! 

Never seen a win soured so quickly. All of that aside Khabib was clearly better. Conor just couldn't keep it on the feet. 

Conor looked a shadow of his former self. I don't know how much of that was Khabib or how much of it was spending a year and a bit out of the grind to do a boxing match, imo it's ruined him. 

Post match stuff was nasty. Nobody is innocent in all of that, but for someone who wants the UFC to be about fighting and not showmanship Khabib sure did put on a show.

Edited by MurDoc516

3 hours ago, MurDoc516 said:

Conor looked a shadow of his former self. I don't know how much of that was Khabib or how much of it was spending a year and a bit out of the grind to do a boxing match, imo it's ruined him. 

Post match stuff was nasty. Nobody is innocent in all of that, but for someone who wants the UFC to be about fighting and not showmanship Khabib sure did put on a show.

Yeah he really did. Nowhere near as sharp, could never setup his left. His takedown defence was quite impressive but it was too much in the end. He’s definitely not the same. 

Awful scenes afterwards, Khabib just went nuts. I guess it goes back to the bus incident but he had the biggest chance to silence Conor and make himself look like a real pro. It’s a shame because he did very well. 

No idea what is going to happen here but I think it’s out of Dana’s hands. The Nevada State Athletic Commission will go real hard at him.

• 8 months later...

Big card today for 239. So many knockouts. Jon Jones maybe had his most underwhelming win in recent times. 

Rockhold's move up to LHW had me wondering. Just didn't think he's have his usual physical advantage. 

Ben Askren, what was he thinking? Masvidal went for broke and it paid off. 

Holly Holm was always a long shot against Nunes. Thought her only chance was to put box her for 5 rounds, didn't happen. 

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

UFC 252 today and Stipe vs Cormier 3. This could be one of the most important fights in UFC history in terms of legacies and what happens next. With Jon Jones waiting in the wings and his jump to Heavyweight imminent I would love to see the winner face him. We'll see. 

• 8 months later...