Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Robbo sooks and speaks

The Great Pretender

Disappointing to hear this from Robbo, because hes only making it worse for himself.

Saying that we treated guys like him, Yze, White harshly when the reality is we probably kept them for too long. Love the guy, just doesnt seem to know too much about whats going on or what hes talking about.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His stupid comments just keep coming. I loved Robbo, but jeez he is really starting to annoy me. He is doing himself absolutely no favours by making comments like this, concentrate on selling your playing ability, no one likes a sook and that's exactly how he's coming across. Yze was most definitely done at Melbourne, White was serviceable but nothing special and we needed to think for the future, and we are in an excellent position to keep Davey both financially AND given the fact that we have no. 1 pick in the PSD.

Try shutting your yapper for just a week, see if it's possible.

As a longtime fan of Robbo, I can see this for what it is, a grab at media attention.

My issue is, how does the wider AFL community view this? As a vote of non-confidence in our management, or similarly to us?

Times like these, I wish I was exposed to a wider variety of Victorian media.

(damned Queensland, they only ever cover any Lions stories.)

I also think it's worth pointing out -for anyone who thinks Robbo has a point about the way this club treats its veterans- that neither Yze or White ever carried on in anywhere near the manner that Robbo has been doing. Sure, they both publicly said that they felt they had more to offer and were disappointed not to get another year, but neither of them came out and slagged off the club in as ridiculously petulant a manner as Robbo has been doing. If you genuinely disagree with your clubs list management strategy and want to publicly comment on it, then there's a way to go about it. The way that Robbo has done it has been flat-out embarrassing. He's coming across like an 8 year old kid trapped in a 30 year olds body.

The game has changed enormously since Robbo's career began. He played most of that career (and it was a very good one) under a traditionalist coach of the older school and, like most of us, we didn't really understand the enormity of the change until it was far too late. What's happening now at the club is that we're trying desperately to catch up with the future but sadly, Robbo still doesn't get it.

The FD is finally ridding the club of the "Daniher, Let's all be best mates" culture that has existed for far too long....

Robbo, Yze and White were all having sleepovers at ND's place so he would pick them every weekend...

DB has come in and has a plan.... His plan is actually working, contrary to what many may think..... He may not physically coach our next premiership side, but he will have had just as big a influence as the bloke who does!

Robbo, get over yourself mate.... I loved you as a footballer, but this whole "sour grapes" stuff is just bull$hit!!! Your best football is way behind you and to make a stupid comment regarding White and Yze is just ridiculous....

The club gave you everything, and you gave the club everything..... The club deserves some respect!

People have to understand that there is only one constant at a club and that is the club itself together with its history.

Having read the sun this morning I am disappointed in Robbo's comments, if they are in fact his. He is not tarnishing the club, only himself. His comments would not endear him to other clubs. He should adopt the stance of so many others before him at all clubs and get on with life.

Edited by Redleg

People have to understand that there is only one constant at a club and that is the club itself together with its history.

Having read the sun this morning I am disappointed in Robbo's comments, if they are in fact his. He is not tarnishing the club, only himself. His comments would not endear him to other clubs. He should adopt the stance of so many others before him at all clubs and get on with life.

Then you have to wonder why make these comments in the first place?

I don't see him out there trying to make himself look bad, maybe it was an error in judgment, but in truth it just looks like a poor attempt to take a(nother) whack at the Dees.

And this is unfortunately not the first time he has had a whinge about what happened, and I am sorry that he feels so hard done by, and while I can understand why he feels the way he does, which I guess is betrayed by the club, I cannot understand this late surge of complete disloyalty towards an organisation that did great by you and you did great by for so many years. Deputising Yze and White into your argument doesn't really do any favours for it either. Someone up thread said he is just human, true but he is also an adult and needs to stop behaving like a child who couldn't get their own way.

Robbo was so great for us for so many years, it is sad that while hard the relationship can't end with some dignity, on all fronts.

I now intensely dislike Robbo.

Its funny though how the footy world doesnt even bat an eyelid over the stuff he says.

Go have a sook Robbo because:

-No one wanted to pick up Robbo, Yze, White etc for a reason, and reaffirms why his comments are utter garbage.

-The idea that we cant afford to recontract Davey is a joke, we're well below salary cap (something which never occurred during Robbo's [censored] era) and in the best financial position in decades.

- Davey will resign along with the rest of our talented youngsters, and players like Burgoyne have nominated melbourne as a potential suiter for a trade because they see the enormous upside the team has.

- The idea that we dont treat older players right is true in part, like all AFL clubs trying to rebuild, however, having said that if you are good enough you will get recontracted in your 30s. Just look at JMac and Bruce.

The bottom line is Melb, along with Hawthorn and Collingwood are in the best position of all current AFL clubs to achieve success after the compromised drafts.

If I was a draftee Melbourne would be my club of choice to join this year, knowing that the FD will invest in you and that there is much oppurtunity to demonstrate your abilities.

I somewhat understand his argument though. The Bulls did the same thing after the Jordon years, snubbing several older but still very good players for young talent. What ensued was a lack of leadership and ultimately, six years at the bottom. Not only that, but several potential superstar free agents snubbed the Bulls, citing their treatment for older players as their reason for not signing on.

I seriously think we're going to struggle to resign Davey. But I guess the bright side of him leaving would be another top 20 pick + a good young player.

I'm really annoyed with Robbo's comments.

He should be a lot more mature about the situation.

Being all "bitter and twisted" is not the way to go about things.

If anything Robbo should be concentrating on getting himself really super fit and trying out with the Bulldogs or looking towards a media career.

Badmouthing the Club that gave him a chance to play AFL football is pretty disappointing and shows lack of respect to the Demons supporters who cheered him on over his 226 games.

Grow up and move on Robbo.

Edited by Supreme_Demon

I'm really annoyed with Robbo's comments.

He should be a lot more mature about the situation.

Being all "bitter and twisted" is not the way to go about things.

If anything Robbo should be concentrating on getting himself really super fit and trying out with the Bulldogs or looking towards a media career.

Badmouthing the Club that gave him a chance to play AFL football is pretty disappointing and shows lack of respect to the Demons supporters who cheered him on over his 226 games.

Grow up and move on Robbo.

Amen Supreme, well said......

I somewhat understand his argument though. The Bulls did the same thing after the Jordon years, snubbing several older but still very good players for young talent. What ensued was a lack of leadership and ultimately, six years at the bottom. Not only that, but several potential superstar free agents snubbed the Bulls, citing their treatment for older players as their reason for not signing on.

I seriously think we're going to struggle to resign Davey. But I guess the bright side of him leaving would be another top 20 pick + a good young player.

Mate stop living in the past. Robbo is no longer a "very good player". He is an average player at best and nor does he posses much leadership.

The days of melbourne giving oppurtunities to players based on sentiment died with Daniher and that is what bothers Robbo the most, as we all know the correct decision was made regarding his future.

If I see Robbo ploding along down in Bentleigh 1 more time, I'll let him know how I feel...

If Robbo has any issues with being dropped then he should sit himself down and watch a replay of the game v Geelong when Scarlett carved him up and collected 30 disposals or the day at the MCG when he marked and tried to kick a goal off the ground while sitting on his Khyber. The same day he didn't chase hard enough. If the club really wanted to tank maybe the coach would have selected him and not dropped him at all.

Only goes to show that Robbo didn't "get it", and still doesn't. DB couldn't have left him in any doubt that he needed to change his game - second efforts, defensive pressure - but Robbo didn't seem to see why he had to, didn't seem to see why what he'd done for however many years wasn't enough in the new environment. Same with Brock. On the other hand, JMac & Bruce have tried to improve & to develop their skills - disposal, defensive pressure, decision-making, flexibility - they "get it". Robbo & Brock don't, they want to be able to go on doing what they've always done.

i cant see why everyone is potting Robbo. I believe he makes sense. How do you think Jurrah and Watts will feel now when they get the best defender each week? And the fact Miller and Newton remain on our list instead of Robbo just makes me sick.

Well then you are one of the few that have been fooled by Robbo.

Congratulations, you've won a gold bar, its over there in the bottom of that dumpster, hidden under all the rubbish.

Keep searching, you'll find it eventually...

i cant see why everyone is potting Robbo. I believe he makes sense. How do you think Jurrah and Watts will feel now when they get the best defender each week? And the fact Miller and Newton remain on our list instead of Robbo just makes me sick.

Bate will take some heat from those two but they will be decade long focal points - they have to get used to attention.

Keeping players on purely to keep attention away from younger players is self-defeating.

That is why Knights moved Lucas out of the team and Lloyd upfield.

To quote the great Irish-American poet John McEnroe ... "surely you CANNOT be serious!" Jack and Jurrah will be scrambling over each other at the prospect of matching up with the best defenders each week! There's no better way to shorten the time it will take for them to graduate from "promising" to "elite".

Too many posters here seem to think that these two are a bit fragile and must be kept in cotton-wool - IMO nothing could be further from the truth.

Robertson kicked the most goals for Melbourne this year and he missed more then half the season. Surely he deserves to stay on the list instead of Miller. Why dont we ask Jack Watts how much he enjoyed playing on Dustin Fletcher. He would have hated it. Im not advocating Robbo to stay on our list for another decade im just saying surely in the scheme of things he deserves a one year contract. The guy has been an outstanding footballer for our club and would be able to teach Jurrah and Watts instead we have Miller teaching them how to drop crucial chestmarks and how to play a game and have zero influence

Robertson kicked the most goals for Melbourne this year and he missed more then half the season. Surely he deserves to stay on the list instead of Miller. Why dont we ask Jack Watts how much he enjoyed playing on Dustin Fletcher. He would have hated it. Im not advocating Robbo to stay on our list for another decade im just saying surely in the scheme of things he deserves a one year contract. The guy has been an outstanding footballer for our club and would be able to teach Jurrah and Watts instead we have Miller teaching them how to drop crucial chestmarks and how to play a game and have zero influence

You left out missing easy shots at goal; Miller chokes when he gets round to having a set shot - any sort of shot - on goal.

For what it's worth, I think Robbo's right; he could have been a good mentor for our younger forwards and he showed after a twelve month interruption to his career (no pre-season!) that can still take a mark, offer a strong lead, and kick a goal. Let's face it, Jurrah looked real promising, but really Robbo was the only other Melbourne forward who looked like doing any sort of damage this season. Robbo gave his all for this club over the past thirteen years and gets turned away after kicking the most goals for the season and being told that he's in our best 22. No wonder he's a bit cranky. Maybe his biggest problem was that he didn't like deliberately losing footy matches.